FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   (Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/706079-pre-2019-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-shanghai-china.html)

Xeno Aug 3, 17 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by kodansha999 (Post 28645227)
At Pudong Airport we took E-go shuttle bus that goes directly to the hotel.
It cost CNY68 per person (Toll charges included)

IIRC it comes with free bottled water and wifi on board.

Wow, that's incredible.

My spouse had surgery today and was kept in the hospital overnight but later I will try to find our details like where to find the E-go shuttle bus, how often it picks up at the airport, and how long it takes to reach the hotel with a 7 pm arrival.

aluu006 Aug 23, 17 11:32 pm

I've read through most of this thread and I think I've narrowed my choices down to the CY Central or CY Xujiahui. I'm looking for a cat 2 for a quick 2 night stay that is central to do a bit of sight seeing but also has nice amenities in the form of a pool/gym and not terribly far to/from PVG.

Does one far out weight the other? Or is there another property that I have overlooked? Thanks.

mackenzie77 Aug 26, 17 9:56 am

Originally Posted by aluu006 (Post 28728766)
I've read through most of this thread and I think I've narrowed my choices down to the CY Central or CY Xujiahui. I'm looking for a cat 2 for a quick 2 night stay that is central to do a bit of sight seeing but also has nice amenities in the form of a pool/gym and not terribly far to/from PVG.

Does one far out weight the other? Or is there another property that I have overlooked? Thanks.

It's the CY Central easily (previously named CY Puxi). Three metro stops north of Renmin Square which is shouting distance of many of the major sights (Bund, Shanghai Museum, Nanjing W. Walking Street, etc). Shanghai Station is a brisk walk away from the hotel. A number of my Marriott-inclined friends and clients like this hotel for quick stays and overnights, and if they travel relatively light. They walk to the station and can hop on a trains to points forward and also the airport bus terminal stop in front of the south square.

I think up until this year, it had been a Cat1 which was such a steal for a well-run CY with lounge, pool, etc. in central Shanghai.

mackenzie77 Aug 27, 17 6:32 am

deleted - repost

aluu006 Aug 27, 17 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by mackenzie77 (Post 28738781)
It's the CY Central easily (previously named CY Puxi). Three metro stops north of Renmin Square which is shouting distance of many of the major sights (Bund, Shanghai Museum, Nanjing W. Walking Street, etc). Shanghai Station is a brisk walk away from the hotel. A number of my Marriott-inclined friends and clients like this hotel for quick stays and overnights, and if they travel relatively light. They walk to the station and can hop on a trains to points forward and also the airport bus terminal stop in front of the south square.

I think up until this year, it had been a Cat1 which was such a steal for a well-run CY with lounge, pool, etc. in central Shanghai.

Thanks for the response. Will be booking the CY Puxi for second week of Sept.

Xeno Sep 11, 17 10:11 am

I just got an email from the Shanghai City Centre Marriott about my upcoming stay there later this week.

When talking about airport transportation, they list a charge of no less than CNY850 from PVG. Who would pay that kind of price?

Nazdoom Sep 13, 17 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Xeno (Post 28802447)
I just got an email from the Shanghai City Centre Marriott about my upcoming stay there later this week.

When talking about airport transportation, they list a charge of no less than CNY850 from PVG. Who would pay that kind of price?

Hah, I remember laughing at their transportation suggestions.

Take the maglev from the airport and transfer to the subway. It's not hard, it's super cheap, it's fast, and most importantly... The maglev floats on the track via magnetism - how cool is that.

s0ssos Oct 27, 17 6:16 am

FYI for Courtyard Central: they have a policy of limiting guests to the lounge, 1 is free plus the executive member and only 2 extra total, so you cannot even pay to have more guests. Makes it difficult when travelling with family (like me).

Anyway, I guess this isn't a new CY, like that in Seoul or Taipei. Rooms are decently sized though.

barracuda93 Nov 8, 17 4:53 am

JW Shanghai (and other Marriotts there)

Have anyone seen JW Shanghai Tomorrow Square on Point Savers? Enjoyed my last stay there and would like to stay there again, but cash prices are sky-high. 30k points translates into 230 USD, which is rather unappealing as well. 25k would be somewhat better, but while I see Point Saver rates on, say, JW Beijing, I do not see these on JW Shanghai.
Or any other trick to get an affordable price there? Basic room is perfectly fine, I will have a lounge access and likely upgrade anyway.

Other that this particular JW, anything else worth looking at among Marriott portfolio there? I have been to Ren Yu Garden (ask to show me the hotel, haven't stayed), and I can't say I have been hugely impressed. Nice, but not more.

barracuda93 Nov 8, 17 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Xeno (Post 28802447)

Perhaps those who travel on company budget and don't care how much is paid, while getting starpoints to their personal account.

It's a ridiculous amount; for 18 CNY or so you can get an unlimited subway pass for 24 hrs or for 45 CNY for 72 hrs. That can also be used for a subway from the airport.

dcchi Dec 1, 17 8:37 am

Renaissance Shanghai Zhongshan Park

Recently completed a 5-night stay here. We were looking for a quality and convenient but well-priced hotel for a visit to Shanghai. We decided on the Renaissance from other reviews in the thread. While by US standards, most Shanghai hotels were excellent values, we didn't spring for the top-most tier of hotels (e.g., JW People's Square) because they were significantly more than the bulk of Marriott family hotels. It was essential for us to be near a subway line, as we expected to make lots of use of subways, though we didn't need to be directly within a key tourist area (such as Yuyuan, Bund, etc.), as we planned to be traveling throughout the city for various things (including visiting friends who were not in those areas and a side trip to Suzhou).

[side note: for those making a relatively short visit to the Shanghai area, you may want to consider the requirements of the 144-hour visa-exempt option, which allows you to forgo the $140 fee for Chinese visas. there are some tricks to it (most importantly that you enter from one country and depart to another; must be less than 144 hours or so; limited to Shanghai/Zhejiang/Jiansu region), and the wait at the special desk at Pudong was not short, but for a family of five like us, saving $700+ dollars was well worth it]

We used 60,000 points for a 5-night stay. As Platinum, we had access to the excellent lounge. We are a family of five, including three children ages 7-12. We had no issues for all 5 of us using the lounge (despite the specifics I detail below from the hotel's handout page at check-in), and were not charged extra for the 3rd child.

From my observation, the hotel's clientele is probably 85%+ Chinese (both overseas and PRC), it was easy to converse in English whenever necessary (most importantly with the front desk, phone operator, and lounge staff).

At check-in, I was provided a one-pager with the following information:

Dear Guest:

Welcome to the Renaissance Zhongshan Park Hotel Shanghai, the tallest Renaissance in the world. As a Club Lounge Guest, you are entitled to exclusive higher floor rooms, elite benefits, as well as our renowned personalized service that is synonymous of the Renaissance brand.

Our Club Lounge is located on the 58th and 59th Floor and opens from 6am to 12midnight. We are pleased to provide the following services for your convenience.

*Personalized check-in and check-out
*Complimentary breakfast: 6:00am to 10:30am (Public Holidays Subject to Change)
*High Tea: 2:30pm-5:00pm
*A daily selection of hors d'oeuvres, evening cocktails and alcoholic beverages 5:30pm-8:00pm
*Sweet Treats, evening cocktails and alcoholic beverages 8:00pm to 9:30pm
*A selection of soft drinks are available daily from 6:00am-12:00 midnight
*In room local calls free
*Complementary 2 hours use of the Club Lounge meeting room per stay (subject to availability). After the first 2 hours, the rate charged at RMB350 (*Plus 15% surcharge) per hour
*Computer work stations with complimentary internet access
*Copy, Printing, Light Secretarial and Concierge Services are provided
*A selection of international and local newspapers, magazines and library access
*Late check out till 3:00pm (subject to availability)

Extra invited guest will be charged as below. You can bring a maximum of 2 children to club lounge for each room. (Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian)

*Breakfast RMB180* per person (7-12 year old child RMB 90*)
*High Tea RMB 78* per person (7-12 year old child RMB 39*)
*Cocktail RMB 160* per person (7-12 year old child RMB 80*)

To preserve the guest own safety, we highly recommend no wearing hotel slippers in the club lounge. If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to contact our Club Lounge ambassadors at extension 6050.

We look forward to welcoming you for a coffee, a cocktail, a snack, or just to enjoy the view from this quiet haven above the bustling city of Shanghai.

LOUNGE
We used the lounge for breakfast every morning we were there. It was nice that it had extended hours (6-10:30). The spread was superb in my opinion, and included both western and Chinese fare. There was a station where staff made eggs to order (as well as could do certain Asian food as well). As is the case in Asia, the lounge's offerings far surpassed any lounge spread in the US (perhaps with the exception of JW Essex House; it probably was about the same or just a little better than Essex House's lounge). The view was pretty good, and on clear days you were able to see the skyscrapers of Pudong, albeit in a distance. There was plenty of seating, and only on one morning did it even get close to feeling a little full (and it wasn't even really a problem then). There was ample staff to assist. Unfortunately, because of our schedules were packed the rest of the day, we weren't able to see what the offerings were the remainder of the day (e.g., high tea, cocktails, etc.).

The hotel is literally connected to a pretty nice mall (though there seems to be a pretty nice mall almost every block in some parts of Shanghai so that's not that unusual!), and literally on top of the subway stop. Lines 2, 3, and 4 are all at the Zhongshan Park station, though I'd guess that most people will likely use Line 2, which runs east/west (you could take it to both Hongqiao and Pudong airports; Hongqiao is relatively close but Pudong would be quite a slog) and passes directly through east to the key People's Square/East Nanjing Road and Pudong (Lujiazui) areas that many tourists would frequent. Yuyuan/Old City and the French Concession are a relatively easy one-transfer trip. The hotel itself begins on the 25th floor of the building, so you take a separate set of elevator banks from the ground floor lobby to 25. To get to the subway, you simply walk through the mall, outside and down into the subway entrance, which is on the corner. Literally a 30-second walk from when you get to the ground floor lobby to the entrance of the subway.

ROOM
I believe we were given an upgraded room (2 doubles). It was of excellent size (we would have been quite happy with the size even by US standards), with substantial extra space that let us spread out some with our luggage. There was a standard hotel room safe, closets to hang stuff, an in-room mini-fridge, a full desk. The bathroom had both a shower and a tub; it also had a window with blinds between the bed area and the bathroom--needless to say, the first thing we did was close the blinds!). The shower was quite nice, and water pressure was excellent. There was, however, some (not always) water temperature fluctuation; I like my showers hot, but occasionally it would suddenly become scalding (and not because of someone doing anything in our bathroom), so be careful. There were sufficient numbers of plugs to charge all our devices (of course, you need to have the right plugs to fit the Chinese outlets though), both at the desk area and by the bed. Each day, the maid left at least 2 medium-size bottles of water, so that was nice. (You could also get smaller-size bottles of water at the lounge.)

tropikey Dec 1, 17 9:56 am

thanks for this review :)
I stayed there for 5 nights in early November and must say it was one of the best hotels in my experience. Very polite and helpful staff, spacious room (I'm MR gold so got upgrade but I think even without such bonus guests are satisfied), nice swimming pool, great location (not in the very centre so quiet but also very well connected with other parts of the city and with both airports). But the best part are breakfasts and lounge.
I ate in main restaurant, not in lounge. I don't know how it looked like in lounge, but choice and taste of food was impressive, particularly the Chinese part (dumplings!). Each morning I spent one hour there :)
As regards lounge, I visited it only during happy hours. At this time you can have alcohol (for example very nice Chardonnay), coffee, tea (wide choice), very tasty cold and hot food (asian and western) and desserts. To be honest, I ate outside only once, on the first afternoon and later I went each evening to the lounge. I liked food there so much that it didn't make sense to spend money in the city :D
And the night views! Thanks to the fact that this hotel is in certain distance from the Bund, views from the 58th floor, where the lounge is located, are spectacular.

barracuda93 Dec 4, 17 12:41 am

Anyone had a preview of the new EDITION on the Bund?

barracuda93 Jan 3, 18 7:21 am

Originally Posted by weld3z (Post 26607164)
Just checked out and here is my opinion after 3 nights..
3-Breakfast JW
4-Exictive launch JW
6-View JW
11-Respect tiers and upgrades as platanium Marriott

How much inferior are Exec lounge offerings and room views in Marriott vs JW? Don't care too much about the rest (apart from price of course).

Srisarin Jan 3, 18 7:58 am

Spent 5-nights at each prop on separate trips.
Except for the secret Harry Potter door in the library above the JW lounge which does offer a great night time view of the City, prefer the Centre as easier access along Nanjing Rd to the Bund and I thought the drivers around People's Park had a death wish (mine) the way they drove.

Originally Posted by barracuda93 (Post 29244131)
How much inferior are Exec lounge offerings and room views in Marriott vs JW? Don't care too much about the rest (apart from price of course).