Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Yes, that has been my experience. I've done this twice and gotten responses pretty quickly. Good luck!
Thanks, CJKatl.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:30 pm

just want to update. I put in the claim, but got rejected because Marriott said the claimed rate did not include taxes! I checked booking.com again and Marriott was right - they did not include the taxes in their rates.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I am considering to redeem on points, between the courtyard puxi and the marriott Shanghai Center. Is the FS Marriott worth the additional 5000pt per night?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver
Read the last 10+ pages but still undecided.

I'm considering a points stay in any of the Cat 2-3 hotels in Shanghai:

Renaissance Shanghai Putuo Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Caohejing Hotel
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Pudong East
Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Parkview
Renaissance Shanghai Zhongshan Park Hotel
JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai Changfeng Park
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Hongqiao

Any suggestions which has the best lounge offerings, especially in the evening? Distance from the city center and location isn't important, the quality of the lounge is the main deciding factor.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by Viks
Read the last 10+ pages but still undecided.

I'm considering a points stay in any of the Cat 2-3 hotels in Shanghai:

Renaissance Shanghai Putuo Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Caohejing Hotel
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Pudong East
Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Parkview
Renaissance Shanghai Zhongshan Park Hotel
JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai Changfeng Park
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Hongqiao

Any suggestions which has the best lounge offerings, especially in the evening? Distance from the city center and location isn't important, the quality of the lounge is the main deciding factor.
We stayed 3 nights at JW Marriott Peoples Square (not on your list) at the end of May. You may not want to stay at this hotel, but we enjoyed it very much. We thought the breakfasts in the restaurant (not lounge) were great with so many varieties. The dinners (light snacks) in the lounge were excellent with many choices including desserts - Asian and western dishes. Cannot comment on the wines as we don't drink. But the food in the lounge in the evening was certainly enough to fill us up - the views were good as mentioned elsewhere. As gold we were given a room at the corner on the 50th floor - large windows with surround views, including large windows in the bathroom (which has separate shower and bath). Water bottles were supplied everyday, but we also got them from the lounge. We walked up to the library on the top floor above the lounge. I have not stayed at any other Marriott in Shanghai so cannot comment on them, but this one was certainly met our expectations. We paid cash so maybe points not good value for you.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver
Thanks for the comment! Yes, if paying cash I'd consider JW at Tomorrow Square, but on points it's Cat 6, so I thought I'd better take the opportunity of using my points at high quality Cat 2 and 3 hotels.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I have only stayed at the JW Tomorrow Square and Renaissance Zhongshan Park and I found the lounge offerings at JW to only be slightly better. Z Park has great views and options with made to order available as well. I think it is the best value as I have been harping about upthread.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by kodansha999
I stayed at this property in December, I think it's a good hotel.
Room is nice and modern, the club lounge is great with drinks until 21:30pm.
It's surrounded by malls and eateries and you can take a stroll to the bund.
Or the subway will also take you across the river without changing lines.

I believe you're entitled for the full breakfast downstairs. There's an egg station and the breakfast spreads are pretty big.

The fitness facilities are pretty good too.

I would recommend this hotel over Renaissance.
Thank you for this review that confirmed my notion to go with the Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre for my mid-Sept trip to PVG.

I will be quite tired when I arrive and I have only been to PVG once with a host that managed local details for me. Is it possible to take Uber from the airport to this hotel or are they not allowed to pick up at the airport?

Edited to say other FT threads suggest one must now use Didi so I have both Didi and Uber apps ready and am trying to put a credit card in WeChat.

Last edited by Xeno; Aug 1, 2017 at 9:39 am
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
All of this is great information. It appears that my family will have 19 hours in Shanghai in transit from a trip to Guam.

If you had party of 4 (40 year old adults, 9 and 7 year old kids)... and had 19 hours in Shanghai, which hotel would you choose for one night?

We will likely just end up walking around in the daytime of one day and then head back to the airport.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Recently stayed at the Renaissance Pudong East...it was nice enough although the location was bland. Going to try the Marriott Pudong East next month...main interest is nice indoor pool and decent club lounge offering in the evening. Renaissance was nice; here's hoping Marriott is just as good!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Recently stayed at the Renaissance Pudong East...it was nice enough although the location was bland. Going to try the Marriott Pudong East next month...main interest is nice indoor pool and decent club lounge offering in the evening. Renaissance was nice; here's hoping Marriott is just as good!
Do you have business in the Pudong East area? That location is always going to be bland. Would definitely recommend staying in Puxi if you're not needing to be in Pudong for a specific reason.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Do you have business in the Pudong East area? That location is always going to be bland. Would definitely recommend staying in Puxi if you're not needing to be in Pudong for a specific reason.
Been to Shanghai many times, but just need a hotel closer to Pudong airport (even though this one is still 20-30 minutes away still!).
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
I stayed in the JW at Tomorrow Square and the Ren in Pudong last month. Of course the JW was a more luxurious stay but for the money, the Ren was a great value. It was about a 200 RMB cab ride to the airport from the Ren. I was only there for a night and the restaurant had an outstanding buffet with seafood, crayfish, oysters, steak and pork chops, sushi, and dessert (including beer and soft drinks) for a very reasonable $24.

Since I was only there for the one evening, I didn't have time to explore the area but I did notice a mall nearby on the cab ride out the next morning.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
Thank you for this review that confirmed my notion to go with the Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre for my mid-Sept trip to PVG.

I will be quite tired when I arrive and I have only been to PVG once with a host that managed local details for me. Is it possible to take Uber from the airport to this hotel or are they not allowed to pick up at the airport?

Edited to say other FT threads suggest one must now use Didi so I have both Didi and Uber apps ready and am trying to put a credit card in WeChat.
At Pudong Airport we took E-go shuttle bus that goes directly to the hotel.
It cost CNY68 per person (Toll charges included)

IIRC it comes with free bottled water and wifi on board.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:17 pm

We enjoyed our stay at the Renaissance Yu garden very much
Breakfasts in lounge were excellent with a nice omelet station, afternoon tea and evening e had plenty for a dinner. Fantastic view of the skyscrapers in PuDong and the neon show at night while having wine, etc
Lounge attendants were charming and helpful
Shanghai was miserably hot so enjoyed the penthouse pool on return
Room was nice with goood view of river, really liked the toilitrees
JordanWalker likes this.

Last edited by jerseygirl; Aug 3, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.