FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   (Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/706079-pre-2019-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-shanghai-china.html)

kikid Oct 10, 2016 12:33 pm

Thanks travelinmanS!

I just did the search and found there are many courtyards in the area. May I know which CY are you referring to?

Many thanks!!

Jiatong Oct 17, 2016 7:10 am

Old thread, but new ?

anyone have info on the NEW Marriott Parkview in the Jing"an district ?.
Looking at a 4 day stay in that area in December 2016.

moondog Oct 17, 2016 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Jiatong (Post 27356448)
Old thread, but new ?

anyone have info on the NEW Marriott Parkview in the Jing"an district ?.
Looking at a 4 day stay in that area in December 2016.

It's in Zhabei. If you must stay in Zhabei, I'd vote for the Courtyard instead because that area is becoming pretty nice (thanks to WPP).

Jiatong Oct 17, 2016 3:44 pm

MD, umm the Mrt web site must be wrong on the district for this new SH Mrt.
It also indicates this hotel is on line 1 & overlooks Lingshi park.
Needing a FS Mrt. for mid Dec visit & hoping this new one is ok...

moondog Oct 17, 2016 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jiatong (Post 27358713)
MD, umm the Mrt web site must be wrong on the district for this new SH Mrt.
It also indicates this hotel is on line 1 & overlooks Lingshi park.
Needing a FS Mrt. for mid Dec visit & hoping this new one is ok...

I haven't been there yet, but the location is exceptionally inconvenient for my tastes. Any of the Rens would be better. The Courtyard near Hanzhong Lu metro is admittedly not a very nice hotel, but as noted, the surrounding area is becoming nice at a rapid pace. I go up there several times per week, and new dining options are popping up all the time. Furthermore, Hanzhong Lu is an extremely useful metro station (Lines 1, 12, and 13).

kodansha999 Oct 27, 2016 7:57 pm

anymore reviews about Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre? is there a thread of the property?

moondog Oct 27, 2016 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by kodansha999 (Post 27402428)
anymore reviews about Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre? is there a thread of the property?

I think it might have its own thread, but if you search this thread using "centre", there are lots of results.

SkiAdcock Oct 28, 2016 9:30 am

Originally Posted by kodansha999 (Post 27402428)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ty-centre.html

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 27402686)
I think it might have its own thread, but if you search this thread using "centre", there are lots of results.

Yeah, that can be a problem. I googled the "property name+Flyertalk" to get the thread I linked above vs. going through FT search.

Here's another thread that came up that did a comparison btwn the JW & Marriott City Centre:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ty-centre.html

Cheers.

qazw1 Nov 3, 2016 1:13 pm

Not sure if there are reward changes, but point redemptions are bargains for the Renaissance chain. Not sure if still 15,000 points a night, the hotels are nice with nice lounges.

A1pax Nov 23, 2016 3:25 am

We are going to be in Shanghai for 3 nights mid next year. I have been researching on hotels. We have matched our SPG gold to Marriott gold (so will get breakfasts and lounge access - we hope!).

There are 2 Marriott hotels which are of interest: Marriott Tomorrow Square and Marriott city centre (both have lounges). I think they are located in the same area, but which one is close / convenient to a subway to the Maglev train station to / from the PVG airport? We will fly into Shanghai from SYD with QF, and out to LHR with BA. We would like to take the Maglev train both ways. I have read on tripadvisor that there are a number of tours that will organise this trip, but we just want to take the trains ourselves.

Thanks for any reply.

DJ_Iceman Nov 23, 2016 7:56 am

They are essentially equidistant from the People's Square subway station. Both are an easy walk, even with luggage in tow.

A1pax Nov 23, 2016 8:04 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 27518165)
They are essentially equidistant from the Tomorrow Square subway station. Both are an easy walk, even with luggage in tow.

Thanks, DJ_Iceman, for your reply.
Good to know. Now the decision is which one to choose? - room, breakfast and lounge. Will read the reviews on tripadvisor again.

SkiAdcock Nov 23, 2016 8:41 am

Originally Posted by A1pax (Post 27518198)
Now the decision is which one to choose? - room, breakfast and lounge. Will read the reviews on tripadvisor again.

Vs. reading the reports on Flyertalk in this forum? FTers probably have more input than TA, given a lot of TA folk aren't necessarily elite members of Marriott Rewards.

And yes your newly minted Marriott Gold will get you exec lounge access, unlike SPG Gold. Enjoy.

Cheers.

moondog Nov 23, 2016 9:20 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 27518165)
They are essentially equidistant from the Tomorrow Square subway station. Both are an easy walk, even with luggage in tow.

You mean "People's Square Stn", and this is true, but it's worth noting that the station itself comprises a dozen+ city blocks...with lots of people. As such, I would take a taxi in one direction (i.e. when the Maglev isn't running fast).

Tommys888 Nov 24, 2016 11:13 am

Recommended Marriott hotel in Shanghai

Hello, we are currently planning a stay in Shanghai and we would love to hear some experiences in hotel stays in Shanghai. We are thinking of leveraging Starpoints (transfer them to Marriott and then redeem at Marriott) since it seems that SPG points redeemption is not as good as Marriott redemption in Shanghai specifically.

Anybody gets an idea what is the best quality vs. points redemption?

Thanks for the the advice and comments.