FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   (Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/706079-pre-2019-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-shanghai-china.html)

Time traveller Apr 14, 16 7:13 pm

I had a very nice stay at the Marriott Hotel City Centre. Upon arriving at the hotel, I was surprised to be greeted by the FD manager by name in the lobby. It almost seemed like he was waiting for me for arrival. And whenever I came down from the room to the lobby or returned to the hotel, I was also greeted by name and welcomed back. I was quite impressed as this was my first stay at the hotel and I am not a VIP.

Madone59 Apr 26, 16 10:56 am

Yu Garden

Just spent 3 nights at Yu Garden and wanted to report back on a few things. Photos are included in the Shanghai Trip Report below.

First: The property is really, really accessible. So close to the subway the only way to beat it would be to stay at a property with an integrated subway stop like JW Hong Kong. Also you are a two or three minute walk from the whole God's Temple area which has lots of shops and little places to explore and only a 7-9 minute walk to the Bund. The M lounge has a very good view and a more than adequate breakfast. SKIP the pool, it is for lack of a better word gross.

I would not hesitate to stay here again, the standard room was a good size with a very big bathroom.

SkiAdcock Apr 26, 16 11:11 am

Thanks for the update on Yu Garden. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

weld3z May 3, 16 4:29 pm

Shanghai JW vs Marriott city centre

I stayed at the JW marriott tommorow square 3 years ago , i have a short trip to shanghai next few days and i want to try the marriott city centre , the price are almost the same and the location is only 0.2 miles between them any suggestions , Thanks

Richard Yu May 4, 16 4:17 am

I've stayed in both frequently and think the Marriott City Center is a lot nicer from a hotel perspective -- the whole place feels newer which shows in the rooms and furniture, etc.

The food at the breakfast buffet is also fairly similar.

That being said, the view from the JW is spectacular and probably one of the reasons it commands a good price point. You have almost panoramic views of Shanghai from the lobby and executive lounges.

weld3z May 5, 16 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Richard Yu (Post 26575098)
I've stayed in both frequently and think the Marriott City Center is a lot nicer from a hotel perspective -- the whole place feels newer which shows in the rooms and furniture, etc.

The food at the breakfast buffet is also fairly similar.

That being said, the view from the JW is spectacular and probably one of the reasons it commands a good price point. You have almost panoramic views of Shanghai from the lobby and executive lounges.

Thanks for the info , booked at Marriott city centre yes the JW was great when i stay last time i well try the Marriott this time ..

Time traveller May 6, 16 6:06 pm

I have only stated at the City Centre and not the JW. The City Centre treated me quite well as a PP. I got upgraded to a nice suite and the executive lounge was quite nice. Taxis were easily hailed by the doormen and it was a short walk to the subway station from the hotel as well.

weld3z May 7, 16 4:45 am

Checked in two hours ago , the staff are amazing they upgrade me as platinium to a very nice suite with choclate and fruites

In my opinion its better than JW

SkiAdcock May 7, 16 9:03 am

Originally Posted by weld3z (Post 26589068)
Checked in two hours ago , the staff are amazing they upgrade me as platinium to a very nice suite with choclate and fruites

In my opinion its better than JW

Is that because of the property itself or because you were upgraded to a suite?

Cheers.

bennos May 8, 16 3:12 pm

Well, when you can see out the windows :)

travelinmanS May 8, 16 9:15 pm

The Marriott property that offers the best views on a clear day (which are rare, I might add) is the Rennaissance Zhongshan Park. IMHO this is the best Marriott hotel in Shanghai both from a value for money standpoint and a location standpoint (subway access to anywhere you want to go).

weld3z May 10, 16 9:33 pm

Just checked out and here is my opinion after 3 nights..

1-Price to Marriott
2-Location to Marriott (if you want to walk for shopping area)
3-Breakfast JW
4-Exictive launch JW
5-Staff Marriott
6-View JW
7-Spa ( never been to JW but marriott spa is 7 out of 10 )
8-Room Service Marriott some time clean my room twice a day !!
9-Lobby and bar to me both of them are great but i well say JW
10-Bussniess center JW
11-Respect tiers and upgrades as platanium Marriott

Overall ..
If i well do small meetings at the hotel well choose JW if my meeting out side i well go for Marriott both of them are great hotel and its really hard to say if one is better than the other

Sorry for late replay Mr. skiAdcock hope this info helpful for you ..

SkiAdcock May 11, 16 7:43 am

Thanks for the update weld3z. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

kikid Oct 4, 16 11:53 pm

Nearest Marriott to Shanghai Pudong airport

Hello FTers,

Anyone please suggest a Marriott property close to Shanghai Pudong airport for a short 10-hour layover? I usually stay at the JW but for a 19-hour stay it seems a bit too much of a travel.

Thanks a lot!!

travelinmanS Oct 9, 16 7:18 am

There aren't any really. JW is only 45 mins away if you take the maglev + subway. There is a courtyard in Pudong that is even closer (about 35 mins using the maglev). I wouldn't stay out by PVG as there is absolutely nothing there.