Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 27, 19, 9:46 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: hhoope01
Wiki Link
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 13, 11, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AA 2MM+; Marriott Plt; SPG Gold
Wow. Thanks for all of the great info folks! I definitely need to rethink my housing strategy.

iwpingmu - My priorities are really the largest room possible, good chance to upgrade and a lounge that I can hit up for food and drink. I'm also an amateur photographer and liked the proximity of the JW to the park and areas for decent street photography within a reasonable distance of the hotel.

Based on that, would you recommend the Marriott Luwan as the best option for me to consider?

Again, thanks so much for the feedback everyone. FT is the best community on the 'net, without question!
Old Jul 13, 11, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Thrillington View Post
Wow. Thanks for all of the great info folks! I definitely need to rethink my housing strategy.

iwpingmu - My priorities are really the largest room possible, good chance to upgrade and a lounge that I can hit up for food and drink. I'm also an amateur photographer and liked the proximity of the JW to the park and areas for decent street photography within a reasonable distance of the hotel.

Based on that, would you recommend the Marriott Luwan as the best option for me to consider?

Again, thanks so much for the feedback everyone. FT is the best community on the 'net, without question!

largest room: see my post above,

upgrade: 100% to a club room (Suite is not possible) I was upgraded in each hotel, and sure you will (if you are gold/Platium)

Lounge: every Courtyard, Marriott, Renaissace and JW in Shanghai has a lounge, free Alcohol and food between 5:00 (or 5:30) and 8:00 pm (or 7:30), free "fresh to make" coffee, tea, and soft drinks during the day and evening.

the top quality food offered in the lounge is Marriott Changfeng Park, they have 3-4 sashimi to choose along with many more items, their lounge is also top notched, much better than JW's
Second best is Renaissance Putuo, large quantity food buffet style during the happy hour
Each hotel offers more drinks and foods than the lounges in US Marriott/Renaissance so you will not be disappointed no matter which hotel you will choose

Location for leisure:
teir 1 Marriott City center (open in Sept.) , JW, Yuyuan Renaissance,
teir 2 ZhongShan Park, Marriott Luwan, Courtyard Puxi, Courtyard Xujiahui
however it will not be far to go anywhere if you stay at most hotels in PUXI, the taxi is dirty cheap, for US$ 2-5 you can go anywhere within the city from any of the hotels that I have stayed

Yuyuan is the traditional "must see" town that everyone should visit, and a good place for a photographer, YuYuan Renaissance is next to it. and it is also close to the Bund, and not far from Nanjing Lu Pedestrian Street etc.
Their room is not very large though their lounge overlooks the bund

Zhongshan Park renaissance could also be a good choice for you. I think it is better than JW

JW Marriott is very very expensive just because it is "JW" and everyone knows JW is the top brand in Marriott. You better try the others then you will know this JW is not as good as those newer Marriott and Renaissance in Shanghai but the room rate is twice higher as much as the others. The club room that I stayed at JW is one of the smallest rooms during my trip.

If you go after Sept 15th, no doubt Cat 4 Marriott city center should be your first choice, about half price of JW, cat 4 against JW's cat 6 if award stay. Location is even better, sure the room will be much better than JW

Last edited by iwpingmu; Jul 14, 11 at 12:59 pm
Old Jul 14, 11, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; AA 2MM+; Marriott Plt; SPG Gold
Thank you, iwpingmu. I am taking your advice. Just called the Plat line and they confirmed that the City Centre will be opened before my arrival, based on the information in the internal system at Marriott. She said if something should happen that they would accommodate me in another FS property.

I will be arriving on 28 Sep and look forward to reporting back here on the new property.

Ample time at Yuyuan is already in my plans. Thanks so much for the tip.
Old Jul 14, 11, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Thrillington View Post
Thank you, iwpingmu. I am taking your advice. Just called the Plat line and they confirmed that the City Centre will be opened before my arrival, based on the information in the internal system at Marriott. She said if something should happen that they would accommodate me in another FS property.

I will be arriving on 28 Sep and look forward to reporting back here on the new property.

Ample time at Yuyuan is already in my plans. Thanks so much for the tip.

FYI

It seems Marriott City Center will have a grand opening in Sept., most likely their Club lounge may not be ready at first few opening weeks.
Just like Marriott Luwan, the hotel will tell you and your registered guest to have the breakfast buffet in the cafeteria rather than in the lounge, and happy hours at the lobby bar, they will provide a set menu for you to pick free food, along with free unlimited drinks.

After I left Marriott Luwan, I was told by my friend that their club lounge has been opened, and it is a great lounge.

Marriott Changfeng park, Renaissence Putuo, Marriott Luwan, and now Marriott City Center all have the better lounge than JW's. Yes, the newer , the better.
Old Jul 14, 11, 11:06 am

How about the Marriott at Tomorrow Square

We stayed at the one in Tomorrow Square using the Marriott Visa certificate. We were upgraded to a one bedroom suite without asking for it. The hotel was very nice and close to everything. We were there with our two sons. The front desk told us we could only use two free breakfasts at the lobby level and suggested the other two people went up to have breakfast at the lounge. The boys liked the huge selection at the regular breakfast and went down. My husband and I had breakfast at the lounge. Even though the selection was smaller, it was really good and more than enough variety for us. They also serve food in the evenings. But we were there for the World Expo and returned very late so I have no idea what was served.

By the way, the regular breakfast was very expensive. Even though we get free breakfast, they handed the boys a big with the regular price and expected a tip. Not knowing they could charge it to the room, they gave all the cash they had with them.

We also had an nice view of the city from our room on the 59th floor.
Old Aug 3, 11, 3:41 pm
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Shanghai--Quick Question--Where to Stay

Going to Shanghai first time in about a month. Have no knowledge of geography. Excluding Ritz Carlton, I would like to have a recommendation on the closest Marriott property to the Bund, Nanjing and other popular spots. Looking for walking distance if possible. This is just a short 5 day scouting trip. Of course, as Plat, I would like a propety with an Exec Lounge.

The Marriott web site descriptions and location maps are pretty much usless for a novice.
Old Aug 3, 11, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
I just got back from a trip to PVG, and I stayed at the JW Tomorrow Square. It is not the closest Marriott to the areas you've talked about. There is another Marriott, Marriott City Center, which I think fits your desired location.

However, I thought the JW was very nice. It's a bit annoying to have to take two elevators to get to your room, but I thought the hotel was extremely nice and the lounge was exceptional. For breakfast, I was offered my option of eating in the lounge or the restaurant. I chose the latter because of the extensive selection.

Billy
Old Aug 3, 11, 7:04 pm
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Thank much. I thought that the JW was probably the closest of currently open hotels. I called Reservations today and they are still not yet booking the Marriott City Center for my dates Sept 6-Sept 10. I think I have missed it by just a few days or weeks.
Old Aug 3, 11, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dfe View Post
Going to Shanghai first time in about a month. Have no knowledge of geography. Excluding Ritz Carlton, I would like to have a recommendation on the closest Marriott property to the Bund, Nanjing and other popular spots. Looking for walking distance if possible. This is just a short 5 day scouting trip. Of course, as Plat, I would like a propety with an Exec Lounge.

The Marriott web site descriptions and location maps are pretty much usless for a novice.
Why are you excluding Ritz Carlton? The JW is newer and has nicer rooms, but the Portman is better located (IMO) and the outdoor pool area is wonderful during the summer months. Their room rates are similar.

The Pudong RC is also splendid, but I would never advise anyone to stay over there unless they had a specific reason to do so.

One more thought; the Renaissance at Zhongshan Park is good, to the extent that I would choose it over the JW.

As you guys might be able to surmise, I'm not a big fan of People's Square.
Old Aug 4, 11, 5:39 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
My reason for picking a JW or regular marriott over the Ritz is they typically want you to pay $100 per night to access their lounge, where I get it free at other Marriott properties. A Ritz would have to be $100 less expensive than a JW for me to make that decision, or it must be the only hotel near where I have to stay.

A JW is "good enough" for me.

Billy
Old Aug 4, 11, 9:52 am
dfe
In memoriam

I excluded the RC's simply based on price since this is a leisure trip and I am not wealthy. Also I am paying cash and not using points since I am still working on hitting my 75 paid nights for Plat status. For my dates the JW is $294 p/n; RC Pudong is $515 and Portman is $406. RC's are certainly not comparable in price to the JW. I was hoping that some other property might be better located than the JW--apparently not so I gather.
Old Aug 4, 11, 2:30 pm

Programs: LH Sen, AF/KL gold, AB platinum, BA silver, HHonors diamond, SPG gold, ...
no question: JW

After seeing the rates you listed:
take the JW, the Portman RC would have been the only serious alternative, but is too expensive.
The JW is a really very good hotel except for the annoyance of the two elevators already mentioned.
It is a little big and crowded, but even the not yet open Marriott Centre wouldn't really bring you closer to the inner city or bund (Nanjing is hours away and any hotel wouldn't make a difference).
The Zhongshan Park was extremely chaotic when I stayed there a while ago. It has a lot of potential to become a good hotel, but like the much older Yangtzee which I would prefer, it is extremely far from the city center (30mins by cab).
Old Aug 4, 11, 7:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think Ren Yu Yuan may be a possible alternative, and if you are on budget the courtyard Puxi next to shanghai station is also a great option in terms of easy to catch a cab.

Last edited by ChrisLi; Aug 4, 11 at 7:30 pm
Old Aug 4, 11, 8:45 pm
dfe
In memoriam

Thanks to everyone. Good advice for a novice. Perhaps a little off topic but related to location--PaxCGN says that Nanjing is hours away but I read on China Travel Guide that Nanjing Road is a 3.5 mile street that begins at the Bund on the east and runs west--I'm confused.
Old Aug 4, 11, 8:45 pm

if on budget, I would like to spend US$70-80 per night at Puxi Courtyard (the largest courtyard in Asia) while it also has a very good club lounge, offering room upgrade, free internet plus free breakfast either at lounge or the Cafe. the club lounge offers free alcohol from 5:30 pm till 10 pm which is much longer than JW's 2 hours daily. Also the standard room size is larger than JW's standard room size.
More important: One night at JW will cost you 3-4 times higher than at the newer Puxi Courtyard

Last edited by iwpingmu; Aug 4, 11 at 8:51 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: