Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by maltasr
Want to attend the Shanghai World Exposition sometime in October. Both the Courtyard Shanghai - Pudong and the Courtyard Shanghai - Xujiahui look like great properties according to reviews on TripAdvisor. But which one offers more in the way of amenities and is in a location where public transportation is easily accessible? And which one is closer to the Exposition site? I'll probably use points to pay for the stay or would I be better off paying with the Marriott Visa card and running up a few thousand points. Thanks for your assistance!
For Courtyard Pudong you maybe able to get a LNF rate. I will PM you with the site so you can find it out.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:58 pm

Courtyard Pudong is closer to expo but outdated,
Xujiahui is very new, build in 2008, excellent location to anywhere at puxi,
Both have club lounges, free breakfasts, happy hours 7 days a week for elite or club guests
Xujiahua Courtyard is much much much better unless you want to stay closer to expo
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by iwpingmu
Courtyard Pudong is closer to expo but outdated,
Xujiahui is very new, build in 2008, excellent location to anywhere at puxi,
Both have club lounges, free breakfasts, happy hours 7 days a week for elite or club guests
Xujiahua Courtyard is much much much better unless you want to stay closer to expo
How much farther is Xujiahua Courtyard than Pudong COurtyard to the Expo? Is there public transport or mainly cabs?

Also, are there any other hotel choices, like Renaissance or FS Marriotts that is close to the Expo?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:24 pm

the sequence of Marriott Family Hotels which is closer to expo:

Renissance pudong (cat 3) (about 7-8 old)
Courtyard Pudong (cat 2) (about 15 years old)
Yuyuan Renaissance (cat 3) (fairly new, open on 2007)
JW Marriott (cat 5) about 8-9 years old
Xujiahui Courtyard (cat 2) (faily new hotel, Open on late 2008)
Zhongshan Park Renissance (faily new hotel, Open on 2008) cat 3
Yangzte Renaissance ( Build before 1990 ) cat 3
HongQiao Marriott ( Build before 1990 ) cat 3
ChangFeng Park Marriott ( newest, 2010 hotel) cat 3

you can take subway line #1 (3 minutes walk from the hotel) then transfer subway #2 from Xujianghui Courtyard to expo, hotel personnel will be able to assist you, also many buses stop at yujiahui, I am sure several bus can go to expo, or at least near to
yujiahui area is one of the three largest shopping/business center in Shanghai, basically you can find everything.
However if you plan to take taxi ( better stay away during the slow and crowd peak hours), you need to spend RMB 40 (roughly US$6) more than from Pudong Courtyard
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:42 pm

however, Pudong courtyard does have much easier access to EXPO than XUjianhui Courtyard since it is much closer.
If you care about the amemnity of the hotels, XUJIAHUI Courtyard has a nice size, quite new indoor swimming pool onsite, but Courtyard Pudong doesn't,
I remember courtyard pudong also charges internet even I am platium so I need to bring my laptop to the club lounge WFii
I do not remember if Xujiahui charges internet or not, however I do recommed Yuyuan Renaissance at another thread, they waive internet fee for platium/gold, also next to YUYUAN Garden, the top attraction in Shanghai. This hotel is the closest marriott hotels to Expo in PUXI. They also proactively provide you the option to either have 2 breakfast buffets at cafe or at lounge
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:12 pm

the sequence of Marriott Family Hotels which is closer to expo:

Renissance pudong (cat 3) (about 7-8 old)
Courtyard Pudong (cat 2) (about 15 years old)
Yuyuan Renaissance (cat 3) (fairly new, open on 2007)
JW Marriott (cat 5) about 8-9 years old
Xujiahui Courtyard (cat 2) (faily new hotel, Open on late 2008)
Zhongshan Park Renissance (faily new hotel, Open on 2008) cat 3
Yangzte Renaissance ( Build before 1990 ) cat 3
HongQiao Marriott ( Build before 1990 ) cat 3
ChangFeng Park Marriott ( newest, 2010 hotel) cat 3

you can take subway line #1 (3 minutes walk from the hotel) then transfer subway #2 from Xujianghui Courtyard to expo, hotel personnel will be able to assist you, also many buses stop at yujiahui, I am sure several bus can go to expo, or at least near to
yujiahui area is one of the three largest shopping/business center in Shanghai, basically you can find everything.
However if you plan to take taxi ( better stay away during the slow and crowd peak hours), you need to spend RMB 40 (roughly US$6) more than from Pudong Courtyard
Thank you for taking the time to make such an extensive response. It seems like my choices should be:

Renissance pudong (cat 3)
Courtyard Pudong (cat 2)
Xujiahui Courtyard (cat 2)

We have a large group, possibly 10 or more. So it seems that the Xujiahui Courtyard may be a logical choice due to how close it is to subway as well as being a newer property.

Quick questions - the Reniassance Pudong is a cat 3 property. Is it much nicer than the Courtyard properties? Also, does it matter if I am platinum elite? Are there any upgrades in the hotels?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP,Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold, Starbucks Gold card
I thought I remember reading somewhere about Marriott chains in Asia not upgrading or providing lounge access to Gold members. Is that true?
I'm heading for Shanghai the last week of June for the Expo too. Also, how about hotels in Beijing?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier
You won't go wrong with the Renaissance Pudong. It is a very nice hotel, in a fantastic neighborhood, and it's my hotel of choice as I spend my weekends in Shanghai when I travel to China. I'm Platinum, and I get a room on the club level, but I don't think it's an upgraded room. I never ask for an upgrade though as it's not really important to me.

One of my coworkers is PP and I know he gets nicer rooms such as suites and studios without asking.

If you're platinum, a few days ahead of your arrival, they send you an e-mail asking if there is anything specific you want. I suppose at that time you can ask for an upgraded room.

From the Renaissance Pudong, the subway is about 10 minutes walk from the hotel, not three minutes.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:25 pm

In any Shanghai Marriott Hotel, you will be upgraded from a regular room to a club room, same as gold or platium,
however platium have the welcome gift, please take the gift, usually one drink + snacks, it is better ( more values )than 500 points.

All Marriott Hotels in China provide lounge access to gold, (if by accident, you are denied, please contact the manager)

Renaissance Pudong is a very nice property, bettern than majority of Renaissances in North America or Europe. but please understand in China, the newer the better, that is why some new courtyards are better than some old Marriott/Renaissances, some new Marriott/Renaissance are better than some old JWs
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:27 pm

If I were you, I will pick Renaissance Yuyuan over Courtyard Xujiahui if you can afford it is 1 cat higher
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
Renaissance Shanghai Putuo Hotel

Though this hotel is opening in May, what will be your comments on the convenience to the Expo and also to the attraction sites in Shanghai?

Opening in May 2010
Strategically located in the Zhenru Sub-city Economic Polymer, Renaissance Shanghai Putuo Hotel is directly connected to Metro Line 7 Lan Gao Road that takes you on journey of discovery to Shanghai World Expo 2010.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...i-putuo-hotel/

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:32 pm

If I were you, I will pick Renaissance Yuyuan over Courtyard Xujiahui if you can afford it is 1 cat higher
I have enough points to do the Renaissance. Is there much difference between the Renaissance Yuyuan property versus the Renaissance Pudong to get to the Expo? I see Yuyuan is a newer property. But thanks to Brian's response, it seems we cannot go wrong with either hotel. So it is just a matter of what is more convenient for the Expo.

Also, if I get multiple award rooms, will they only upgrade one or more than one if all under my name?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:00 am

Programs: DL, Marriott
Why the Renaissance over the Courtyard Xujiahui?

Why the Renaissance over the Courtyard Xujiahui?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:15 am

because 1) Renaissance Yuyuan is closer to EXPO than Courtyard xujiahui, the OP prefers to stay closer to EXPO 2)YUYUAN is the top attraction in shanghai; 3) better amenity: Renaissance YUYUAN provides free internet to platium/gold, 4) location is better, Renaissance YUYuan is close to the Bund, close to Xingtiandi, close to PUDONG, basically it is more centralized and close to everything
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Many of the hotels mentioned in this thread are quite nice, but if you want luxury the JW is by far the best and most spectacular.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.