Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TravellerOnline
After coming back from the Christmas/New Year holiday, I started to plan my stays this year. Surprisingly, I found the rates of Marriott family hotels in Shanghai have gone down significantly this year compared to last year. ........
True, and its great for visiting there.
In fact many of the same properties can be pricelined for further savings!
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:07 pm

Hotel in Shanghai for Expo

Going to Shanghai in July. Like to attend the Expo. Can anyone recommend a hotel near the Expo? Is the Expo convenient to main parts of the city?
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:05 am

Programs: UA
Which side of the city do you prefer to stay at, Pudong (the east of the River) or Puxi (the west of River)?

There are many hotels near the area. If stay in downtown areas, either Puxi and Pudong, subway stations can be easily located and get you to Expo.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:18 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Originally Posted by qazw1
Going to Shanghai in July. Like to attend the Expo. Can anyone recommend a hotel near the Expo? Is the Expo convenient to main parts of the city?
Its on the Pudong side of the city, on the river.
Try the Mrt courtyard in Pudong for location, Its only 20 RMB taxi ride to the expo. SH security is up for the expo, like it was in BJ for the Olympics.
-Have fun
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: UA,DL,CZ
Rennaissance Pudong is also not far away.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:55 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Changfeng park - how it is?

Hi,

Is there any review/opinion on this Marriott? I know it is new, but could not find much. It does seems to be a taxi-dependent type of hotel.

I will be here for maybe 2 nights.

Btw: I have booked for 2 nights, but there could be a chance that I need to check out earlier before using my 2nd night. I don't mind paying, but how will the hotels deal with this? Do I also get 2 nights credit?

Thanks
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by TravellerOnline
I live in Shanghai and was so happy that an unfinished building like Tibet Plaza in Xujiahui, such a prime area, (which stood there unfinished for many years) has finally been converted to a Courtyard. I have actually personally approached the local government and tried to approach the developer to discuss the possiblity of finishing this building. But the local government pusuaded me to stay away from this building, because it's related to the Tibet local goverment. Anyway, that's another story.

Below are just my personal opinions:

1) Safe at night (where there are people walking around, not a dead commercial/financial center at night)

Yes, it is. Shanghai, in general, is the safest city in China (Most cities in China are fairly safe anyway). Xujiahui, one of the shopping place in Shanghai with quite a few big shopping malls around, is a vibrant place at night.

2) Easy to get cabs. Subway nearby is a plus.

Yes, plenty of cabs and subway is 5 minutes walk, max.

3) Lots of restaurants nearby.

Yes, lots of them around, along TianYaoQiao Road and in the shopping malls, mostly Chinese restaurants though. A quick search DianPing.com (a Zagat copycat founded by a friend of mine) results over 1,000 restaurants in the Xujiahui/Sports Stadium area. I would guess over 200 of them are within walking distance. There are two nice restaurants in the Xujiahui Park.

4) Aesthetic appeal - has character or streets are clean/well-maintained, pleasant and easy place to take a stroll in the mornings (and not get run over by cars/motorcycles or be breathing in tons of exhaust).

In general, the Puxi area(west of the river) of Shanghai is very crowded, with lots of cars (not many motorcycles though). Xujiahui area is fairly crowded.

There is an old saying in Shanghai: One would prefer a bed in Puxi (west of the river) than a house in Pudong (east of the river). Things have changed somewhat in the past few years. But for a local resident like me, it's a no brainer, I will stay in Puxi, where all the good things in life are. So it's a trade off.

Have fun in Shanghai
Just to add after a 2 night stay at this place.

Besides those + points, this is one of the best Courtyard that I have stayed in. Nearly a FS hotel, and one of the first where they have an Exec. floor. All in all, a terrific stay! A near perfect stay, only let down was the thin windows and wall, traffic can be heard even on the 23rd floor! and walls are very thin!.

Cheers!
Old Mar 14, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
Is the subway station close by Renaissance Yuyuan complete?

Originally Posted by pletchm
I thought I'd add a few after-departure thoughts to the original post.

The construction outside (a subway is being built under the street at the main entrance of the hotel) is a real headache in two ways currently. First: the intermittent noise is somewhere between very noticeable and occasionally sleep-depriving. Second: the strange traffic patterns around the construction zone can make catching a taxi during prime A.M. hours a tough task. On two rainy days of my stay, I went down to catch a cab at around 8:30 am, and waited around 45 minutes to an hour before one could be flagged. (This was the exception, not the rule.)

Safe travels!
Hi the above was a quote from Dec 07, is there any update on whether the subway station is now open? Or the construction was only for the path of the subway line?

Any advice on how long is the walk to the nearest subway station is appreciated!

Thanks!
So Pang
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
Is Renaissance Shanghai Yuyuan located close to subway station?

Hi, I am trying to find out if anyone has any recent experience staying at Renaissance Shanghai Yuyuan? Is it close to the subway station? If not, how far is the walk? Is it a good location to tourist sites? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Within 1km or 0.6 of a mile of two subway stations so not really that close:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/...-yuyuan-hotel/

Subway Station
East Nanjing Road (Line 2) (0.6 miles S)
South Huang Pi Road(Line 1) (0.6 miles E)

I was just doing some research on Marriott brand hotels in Shanghai tonight so the question was timely.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: 1K, Marriott Gold
It's a beautiful hotel in a great location for visiting YuYuan, but not so convenient for public transportation.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

Is there any review/opinion on this Marriott? I know it is new, but could not find much. It does seems to be a taxi-dependent type of hotel.

I will be here for maybe 2 nights.

Btw: I have booked for 2 nights, but there could be a chance that I need to check out earlier before using my 2nd night. I don't mind paying, but how will the hotels deal with this? Do I also get 2 nights credit?

Thanks
Hi,

Just to give an overall impression of this place. Am currently here for the weekend.
Location-wise: both good and bad. It is very close to ChengFeng park and less busy compared to other parts of Shanghai. A residential area, so relatively quiet. Getting to the nearest subway station will take about 15-20 mins on foot. Good news is that there is actually a complimentary shuttle bus that runs (not sure how often since I was not interested in it) to the Bund area, Nanjing Rd, and a few more places.

Interior: This is with the typical new hype type of Marriott image. Spacious and of as expected still new since it was just opened recently.

Rooms: Not sure if I was given an upgrade, but it was a corner room, and relatively spacious with again lots of usage of glass in the bathroom. Room is loaded with new electronic gadgets and connections to whatever you have, though strangely the connections goes directy to those on the TV which itself is already quite heavy loaded with cables. Would have expected those separate connection boxes as you see coming up now at quite a numbe of properties. The bed if up to marriott standard.

Exec. floor: Great lounge with a good spread of b'fast and evening canapes. Yesterday I was the only person for the evening canapes and there was so much food. Great wine incld Chinese branded ones. They even had a whole duck for the Peking duck! Lounge attendents are great and very friendly. Two laptops are available for use.

Health club + Sauna: Well kept and very functional.

Staff: Overall, as usual very friendly. Again a mixture of Chinese and foreign staff. All helpful and level of English is acceptable.

Overall impression: A good one. I only hope that they don't overcharge since location is still the only setback here.

Hope this helps for those in the future planning to stay here.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum Premier
Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze - Pool and Fitness Room

Can anyone please comment on the pool and fitness room at this hotel? The photos on-line don't really depict it well. Is the pool suitable for laps? Does the fitness room have a good layout of both cardio and resistance equipment?

Thank you.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by brianl19
Can anyone please comment on the pool and fitness room at this hotel? The photos on-line don't really depict it well. Is the pool suitable for laps? Does the fitness room have a good layout of both cardio and resistance equipment?

Thank you.
Its been over couple of years since my last stay here. I found the hotel up to standard business class. Service generally good to very good. A great CL on top floor. The breakfast was to crave for.

I did not use the pool, leave that for others to chime in. The fitness room was quite complete with cardio/resistsance equipment. White towels & water available. Most times, had lightly traffic. You could have it for yourself sometimes.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Question Which Courtyard in Shanghai for Five Nights?

Want to attend the Shanghai World Exposition sometime in October. Both the Courtyard Shanghai - Pudong and the Courtyard Shanghai - Xujiahui look like great properties according to reviews on TripAdvisor. But which one offers more in the way of amenities and is in a location where public transportation is easily accessible? And which one is closer to the Exposition site? I'll probably use points to pay for the stay or would I be better off paying with the Marriott Visa card and running up a few thousand points. Thanks for your assistance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.