Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 27, 19, 9:46 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: hhoope01
Wiki Link
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 14, 08, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PM
Thanks, I will!
Old Oct 14, 08, 1:13 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
And don't forget to look for the secret "hidden" door in the library. It will take you to one of the best views of the city, period.
Old Jan 26, 09, 2:23 am
-DSH-

Programs: BDDC Gold, MR Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, EK Plat
I noticed that both Courtyards in Shanghai feature a Executive Lounge. Do you get access as a Gold?
Old Jan 26, 09, 5:56 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SouthWest A-List; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Discoverist
Yes, Golds should get access to the lounges. I've noticed that a number of CYs outside of NA are basically FS hotels with the CY name. I have a couple of friends who are Golds and stayed at a CY in India with a lounge. They had no issues getting access to the lounge.
Old Jan 26, 09, 6:19 am
-DSH-

Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
Yes, Golds should get access to the lounges. I've noticed that a number of CYs outside of NA are basically FS hotels with the CY name. I have a couple of friends who are Golds and stayed at a CY in India with a lounge. They had no issues getting access to the lounge.
Thanks. If I decide on this hotel (Hilton Shanghai is just a little more expensive..) I will call them before booking and ask if this is indeed the case, just to be sure.
Old Jan 26, 09, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH DIA
CY Shanghai Pudong has a lounge and does provide free access to Golds and Plats. The location of the REN is much better if you intend to do some sightseeing while in Shanghai.
Old Jan 26, 09, 7:32 am
-DSH-

Found a really (imho) good deal at the Renaissance Yuyuan including breakfast; location seems to be very good for some sightseeing. I will only spend one night (36 hr layover); only downside is the huge construction site, or so it seems (Tripadvisor.com). Guess I'll go with the Ren
Old Jan 27, 09, 11:18 am
-DSH-

What about the Renaissance Zhongshan? It costs roughly the same, the property looks nice, but I can't find any personal experiences on the internet - no reviews at Tripadvisor or Expedia. Has anyone stayed here, perhaps?
Old Feb 10, 09, 4:56 pm

New Courtyard Marriott Just Opened in Shanghai (Xujiahui a convenient place to be?)

Apparently it's the 800th Courtyard to be opened. I guess China would be the obvious place to open it given 8 is considered a very lucky number for the Chinese.

I'm planning to go to Shanghai / China in the spring for the first time, so this is great news. Anyone know whether the Xujiahui area of Shanghai is a good place to stay for a first timer. I've read all the posts on Shanghai and done some online research on the Xujiahui area and it seems perfectly fine. The recommendations on FT tend toward the Bund / French concession area, but I like the idea of staying at a brand new US branded hotel. I understand that there are lots of malls, small shops and food stores in the Xujiahui area and it's close to the subway.

My criteria in order of priority for choosing a hotel are (does this area meet that criteria??):

1) Safe at night (where there are people walking around, not a dead commercial/financial center at night)

2) Easy to get cabs. Subway nearby is a plus.

3) Lots of restaurants nearby.

4) Aesthetic appeal - has character or streets are clean/well-maintained, pleasant and easy place to take a stroll in the mornings (and not get run over by cars/motorcycles or be breathing in tons of exhaust).

Thoughts?
Old Feb 11, 09, 3:35 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by jmc123 View Post
Apparently it's the 800th Courtyard to be opened. I guess China would be the obvious place to open it given 8 is considered a very lucky number for the Chinese.

I'm planning to go to Shanghai / China in the spring for the first time, so this is great news. Anyone know whether the Xujiahui area of Shanghai is a good place to stay for a first timer. I've read all the posts on Shanghai and done some online research on the Xujiahui area and it seems perfectly fine. The recommendations on FT tend toward the Bund / French concession area, but I like the idea of staying at a brand new US branded hotel. I understand that there are lots of malls, small shops and food stores in the Xujiahui area and it's close to the subway.

My criteria in order of priority for choosing a hotel are (does this area meet that criteria??):

1) Safe at night (where there are people walking around, not a dead commercial/financial center at night)

4) Aesthetic appeal - has character or streets are clean/well-maintained, pleasant and easy place to take a stroll in the mornings (and not get run over by cars/motorcycles or be breathing in tons of exhaust).

Thoughts?
I live in Shanghai and was so happy that an unfinished building like Tibet Plaza in Xujiahui, such a prime area, (which stood there unfinished for many years) has finally been converted to a Courtyard. I have actually personally approached the local government and tried to approach the developer to discuss the possiblity of finishing this building. But the local government pusuaded me to stay away from this building, because it's related to the Tibet local goverment. Anyway, that's another story.

Below are just my personal opinions:

Yes, it is. Shanghai, in general, is the safest city in China (Most cities in China are fairly safe anyway). Xujiahui, one of the shopping place in Shanghai with quite a few big shopping malls around, is a vibrant place at night.

Yes, plenty of cabs and subway is 5 minutes walk, max.

Yes, lots of them around, along TianYaoQiao Road and in the shopping malls, mostly Chinese restaurants though. A quick search DianPing.com (a Zagat copycat founded by a friend of mine) results over 1,000 restaurants in the Xujiahui/Sports Stadium area. I would guess over 200 of them are within walking distance. There are two nice restaurants in the Xujiahui Park.

In general, the Puxi area(west of the river) of Shanghai is very crowded, with lots of cars (not many motorcycles though). Xujiahui area is fairly crowded.

There is an old saying in Shanghai: One would prefer a bed in Puxi (west of the river) than a house in Pudong (east of the river). Things have changed somewhat in the past few years. But for a local resident like me, it's a no brainer, I will stay in Puxi, where all the good things in life are. So it's a trade off.

Have fun in Shanghai
Old Feb 11, 09, 8:21 am

According to the press release, this is the seventh Courtyard to be opened in China, and another is scheduled for later this year. Does anyone know where in China the additional one will be located? Several years ago, there was one under construction in Nanchang, but that halted mid-stream and I don't find any new information about it. Nanchang is sorely in need of some new hotels, and a Courtyard would fit nicely.
Old Jul 26, 09, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
I just finished a week's stay at the Renaissance Shanghai Pudong.

The hotel is located several km southeast of downtown, in a mostly residential area near Century Park and the Science & Technology Museum. I stayed there because it's convenient to the sprawling business parks further east in Pudong where I was working for the week. I would not recommend this location for tourists as it's too far from downtown and isn't convenient to the subway.

As a platinum member I was upgraded to a club-level room with concierge access. The room matched what I have come to expect of FS Marriott properties in China -- plenty spacious for 1-2 people and tastefully decorated with rich materials.

The lounge provided breakfast in the morning and appetizers and desserts in the evening. I found the evening appetizers varied enough to serve as dinner most nights. Complimentary alcohol is available until 9pm.
Old Jan 7, 10, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by -DSH- View Post
What about the Renaissance Zhongshan? It costs roughly the same, the property looks nice, but I can't find any personal experiences on the internet - no reviews at Tripadvisor or Expedia. Has anyone stayed here, perhaps?
I have stayed several times in Renaissance Zhongshan since its opening. Excellent Renaissance -- supposed to be the tallest Renaissance in the world.

Excellent lounge (great panorama view), always upgraded to a suite, easy subway transportation(3 lines have stops under the building. Location is a bit off downtown though). Lots of shopping in the Zhongshan Park area.

I would stay anytime there given my low corporate rate.
Old Jan 7, 10, 10:32 am

Hotel rates down significantly in 2010

After coming back from the Christmas/New Year holiday, I started to plan my stays this year. Surprisingly, I found the rates of Marriott family hotels in Shanghai have gone down significantly this year compared to last year. JW Marriott is down about 30%; Renaissance Zhongshan Park down 18%; Renaissance Yuyuan down 15%.

I noticed some SPG and IC properties' rates have gone down too. Le Royal Meridien down close to 30%; IC Pudong down 20+%.

Glad that the hotels in Shanghai have come to some senses now, especially given the tremendous rise in real estate prices in the last two years.
Old Jan 7, 10, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVP, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
My mother and her pertner are off to Shanghai for CNY. There's a special rate at the two Marriotts (one's a Renaissance) for USD52/62 depending on the property. Has anyone got any opinions of the quality of these two properties and their locations?
If you identify tthe properties with their respective full names, perhaps many here can help you. There are many Rens & Marriotts in Shanghai and they spread out all over town.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: