Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
I read some reviews on the hotel site and they all stated construction currently going on - even though the page states starting in March 2019. We are heading there next Thursday, am waiting to hear back from the on-site rep regarding this issue. I was told Platinum benefits include free valet parking, upgrade to full breakfast and discounts on various on-site services.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Also - this is our first trip to Maui, so if anyone has any inside info or must do things please share - Cheers
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Try Cruiser Phil's bike ride down the volcano...amazing
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:06 pm

Hit up Monkeypod next door for very good food and reasonable-for-Maui happy hour prices.
davidsc111 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
I've read through the whole thread ... anyone have success with SNAs here? Taking my kids (3 + 6) to Maui for a 10-night stay in July or August, will apply 10 SNA. Seems like success on SNAs has been limited which is why I was thinking about the Ritz Kapalua instead for a better chance.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
We stayed at this resort 3 years ago and had a room with 2 double and a chair that converted into a single bed. I’m trying to find what room type that is and the room descriptions online don’t help. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old May 1, 2019, 11:07 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
Has anyone stayed here recently after construction started? Curious to see how things are going / if there are any facilities closures or if its just room noise
Old May 2, 2019, 3:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by leemaj
Has anyone stayed here recently after construction started? Curious to see how things are going / if there are any facilities closures or if its just room noise
We didn't stay there but in early April we attended the Luau there and visited to see the Flamingos, purchase some retail spa products and have a drink.

1) Do not attend the Luau until the construction is completed. The luau previously was oceanfront with a large stage in front of a waterfall backdrop. During construction it has been relocated to an area used for corporate functions outside of the ballroom area. This places the luau in a wedge-shaped piece of concrete between the hotel's banquet hallway and the parking lot. The stage is much reduced in size.

2) There is quite a bit of plywood barricades around the area between the lobby and the pool area.

3) There is construction in the area of the Relish Oceanside bar and restaurant.

4) The flamingos are no longer in the pond area of the lobby. During construction they have been relocated to an animal sanctuary and are no accessible.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, Platinum SPG, Platinum Hyatt, Silver Marriott, Avis First
Any recent updates on construction?

Noticed the last update here is from May... Hotel says construction currently going on through 2020. The yelp page has some pretty dismal photos and reviews. Seems like the construction is much more extensive than they had originally planned / communicated. Has anyone had a recent good experience? We are staying here for a few nights in September, and I'm curious as to what to expect.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-westin-...anapali-maui-2
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:24 am

Any recent stays here?

Planning a honeymoon trip for Sept 2020 (obviously a long way off) and want to spend part of it in Kaanapali. Torn between the Westin and the Sheraton as a Titanium (planning to use SNAs). Any track record for SNA success at either?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Can't speak for SNA success, but the Westin is a *much* nicer property--there's really no contest.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Life. Marriott T/Life, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond,UA 1K
Originally Posted by seravaf
I've read through the whole thread ... anyone have success with SNAs here? Taking my kids (3 + 6) to Maui for a 10-night stay in July or August, will apply 10 SNA. Seems like success on SNAs has been limited which is why I was thinking about the Ritz Kapalua instead for a better chance.
Applied 5 SNA and received ocean front room in beach tower 12/27 confirmed 12/22 I remember
room beautiful.5*
if you look down there is some construction at ground level but sitting on the bed looking out or standing in the room the Caterpillar and Dumpsters were not
visible
Outdoor

Buffet breakfast busy especially after 0815 multiple stations(5). Lots of choices
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:30 pm
formerly leemaj

Staying here now and am pretty disappointed. We didn't experience any noise from construction, but had a few issues -
  • I had booked a standard room in the Ocean tower. At check-in, when I asked about a room upgrade I was told that since I was staying in the Ocean tower, there were no Titanium upgrades available. They offered me a room (not a suite) in the newly renovated beach tower for an extra $170 / night. The FDC said that they don't give upgrade elites to the renovated rooms.
  • The Ocean tower is in need of a refresh and is not scheduled to be renovated.. The carpets are all bunched up in the middle down the hallways going to the rooms.
  • Breakfast for Platinum/Titanium is now continental only (cereals, bread, pastries, and omelette station). Upgrading to the full buffet with hot dishes is $10 per person extra. The buffet itself is set up in a makeshift part of the hotel since the restaurant is still under construction. It was messy and haphazard.
  • Since the restaurants are closed they put in "food trucks" which is just an outdoor kitchen with some areas to sit nearby. It was closed our first day due to "staffing issues". Whaler's village is next door so there are food options nearby, but still felt like a miss for a hotel of this caliber to not have enough staff to make food for guests when the hotel is reasonably full.
On the bright side, the staff was friendly and the pools are nice. Construction is still ongoing (restaurants / spa / lounge) and seems like it will wrap up at the end of the summer.

Overall, I would not stay here if you expect to get any sort of perks from having status. We stayed here 5 years ago when it was SPG and had an amazing time. It seems like the hotel has been Bonvoyed. I am trying to figure out if we can cut our stay short and go back home early.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by LifetimeUpgrade
Overall, I would not stay here if you expect to get any sort of perks from having status. We stayed here 5 years ago when it was SPG and had an amazing time. It seems like the hotel has been Bonvoyed. I am trying to figure out if we can cut our stay short and go back home early.
While the hotel experience you describe is definitely subpar, you are in Hawaii. There are lots of great things to see and do in Hawaii. Try not to let the poor treatment by the hotel spoil your entire vacation. Doing so is cutting off your nose to spite your face. Focus on how great it is to be in Maui and enjoy that. My two cents...

--Jon

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Mar 6, 2020 at 12:07 pm
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:33 pm
formerly leemaj

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
While the hotel experience you describe is definitely subpar, you are in Hawaii. There are lots of great things to see and do in Hawaii. Try not to let the poor treatment by the hotel spoil your entire vacation. Doing so is cutting off your nose to spite your face. Focus on how great it is to be in Maui and enjoy that. My two cents...

--Jon
Great advice, Jon. This was one of the few times we had planned on spending most of our time at the resort so its a bit more of a constant reminder, but we are making the most of the trip. Decided to stick around for the full time and do more things off property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.