Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:29 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, Starwood Owner - Maui and Scottsdale
No, and they don't have one either...
Old Mar 14, 2007, 6:31 am

Programs: SPG, United, Delta, Hilton, Marriott
Westin Maui

Hi,
I'm new here so forgive me if this subject has already been discussed.
I am planning on staying at the Westin Maui from June 13 to June 23. I am an SPG member but with the lowest status.
When I try to book my hotel through the SPG site (for the 35% off and 6th night free), I follow the link that says for bookings after March 31--the rate plan for this promotion should be SPG35HI. When I try to find the available rooms at the hotel, it says that my rate preference is unavailable on the dates I selected. I also notice that it pulls forward the rate plan SPGN35 which is the rate plan for 35% off ending March 31, 2007 (which I can't override).
Am I doing something wrong or should I just call Starwood and book over the phone using the appropriate rate plan?
Thanks for any input!
Lianne
Old Mar 14, 2007, 9:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
hi litlpickle, welcome to FlyerTalk!

I suggest calling SPG at the number on the back of your card. The agent will have access to everything. It's possible the Endless Escape 35% off rate plan isn't available during the time of your visit, but the phone agent should be able to tell you.

It would be great if you could post the result. Good luck!
Old Mar 14, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: SPG-Gold, Amex-Plat., AA-Plat.
I am having the same problem with the Princeville.
The United offer of 35% off is avaliable and other airline offers but not
the plain SPG 35% off resorts. I guess I need to call too.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:55 am

Programs: SPG, United, Delta, Hilton, Marriott
Thanks, AZ--I'll do that.
Good luck Wintermom!
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:15 pm

Arrow Westin Maui, Hawaii (Master Thread)

Was at the Westin Maui Resort and Spa, and really wanted some sort of upgrade. In my 5 stays since going Platinum, I have gotten one upgrade and it was only standard room to club floor, so I thought I would push a little on this one.

Turns out they did have 2 "Premium Deluxe Oceanview Rooms" available (I had booked an SPG award Oceanview Room), but they said the view was really bad as it was on floor 2, and the room was not renovated yet (scheduled for next year). I asked for keys to the rooms to look at them real fast, and sure enough the rooms were in need of renovation and the view was nearly as good as my current room.

All seems pretty fair... until I get back to the desk and he says if I would like to pay for an upgrade he can give me a high floor newly renovated Premium Deluxe Oceanview Room. I asked him if the room is available for $$ then why can it not be issued as a plat upgrade? He tells me the rooms are waiting for "customers who are paying for them", they assign the best rooms to the customers who have paid for them, but have not yet checked in, and any other left over rooms can be given as upgrades.

That does not seem right to me, upon checkin shouldn't I have been given the "best available room"? The other "paying customers" would still get the room class they paid for... after all, if I had paid for the upgrade they would have gotten those other rooms anyway.

As a seperate note, the $20 per day resort charge sure seemed like a ripoff. What I got out of it was 2 bottles of water per day (which I get everywhere else anyway). I used nothing else that was "included" in the report fee. So my "award stay" cost me $140 for 14 bottles of water. good deal!

I hope to see some value as a platinum member by the end of the year, or i'm off to try another chain to see if I have any better luck.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:57 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by falken98
Was at the Westin Maui Resort and Spa, and really wanted some sort of upgrade. In my 5 stays since going Platinum, I have gotten one upgrade and it was only standard room to club floor, so I thought I would push a little on this one.

Turns out they did have 2 "Premium Deluxe Oceanview Rooms" available (I had booked an SPG award Oceanview Room), but they said the view was really bad as it was on floor 2, and the room was not renovated yet (scheduled for next year). I asked for keys to the rooms to look at them real fast, and sure enough the rooms were in need of renovation and the view was nearly as good as my current room.

All seems pretty fair... until I get back to the desk and he says if I would like to pay for an upgrade he can give me a high floor newly renovated Premium Deluxe Oceanview Room. I asked him if the room is available for $$ then why can it not be issued as a plat upgrade? He tells me the rooms are waiting for "customers who are paying for them", they assign the best rooms to the customers who have paid for them, but have not yet checked in, and any other left over rooms can be given as upgrades.

That does not seem right to me, upon checkin shouldn't I have been given the "best available room"? The other "paying customers" would still get the room class they paid for... after all, if I had paid for the upgrade they would have gotten those other rooms anyway...
Seems like a reasonable assumption to me. If you want me to run it by some folks with a similar interest, then send me your SPG account number and the stay dates in question.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:20 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
I stayed at the Westin Maui in April (I'm the only person on earth who went with the intention of buying a timeshare!) and received a letter at check-in which basically said that the hotel doesn't honor Platinum upgrades.

I already knew this from my last trip in 2003, so had already booked a Premium Deluxe room.

Basically, it's true that the old building is a 3 star Four Points, and that everyone wants to get out of it, but the hotel uses a rather disingenuous "we're a very popular resort and we can't satisfy everyone, so we don't even attempt to upgrade elites" line.

Superficially it makes sense, but of course all hotels try to have as near 100% occupancy as they can, but other Starwoods still attempt to recognise elite status, whereas the Westin Maui doesn't even try.

The Westin Maui is on prime beachfront land, but there aren't enough sunloungers around the pool (plan on waking up at 6 am to reserve yours), and the old tower doesn't even have closets and the new one has not been well renovated. The bathrooms in the new tower are like a bad Motel 6, whereas for less money at the Bora Bora Nui you get a marble bathroom as big as most NYC apartments.

Really, the Westin Maui probably needs to be bulldozed and replaced with a classier property.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by DCF
Really, the Westin Maui probably needs to be bulldozed and replaced with a classier property.
It's been 15-20 years since I was there. Too bad to read your statement, because it used to be very nice.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:28 pm

Westin Maui One of Favorite Places

The Westin Maui is one of my favorite places to vacation! Location can't be beat with beach, Whalers Village next door (restaurants/shopping), great pool complex with slide etc., basically, location, location, location, with a great pool complex. The rooms aren't the biggest or nicest in the Westin chain. But, they are just fine and have lanai's with some amazing views. The newly renovated rooms are great with flat panel TVs, etc.

I've been upgraded on two rooms 3 years running (preferred +, gold, then platinum). No suites, but nice views with connecting rooms.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by DCF
The Westin Maui is on prime beachfront land, but there aren't enough sunloungers around the pool (plan on waking up at 6 am to reserve yours),
No problem on that front for me, actually, there was always plenty of room. The lady at the spa even told me "We are pretty empty around here right now", another reason I found it odd they couldn't find an upgrade.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 7:26 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Originally Posted by DCF
I stayed at the Westin Maui in April (I'm the only person on earth who went with the intention of buying a timeshare!) and received a letter at check-in which basically said that the hotel doesn't honor Platinum upgrades.
Is Westin Maui serious that they won't honor PL upgrade? If every upgradable rooms are all booked by paid guests, I understand. But here it sounds like they prefer not to upgrade unpaid / underpaid guests. I'm going back in a month to give them a 2nd chance (1st stay was really not cool). But now I have 2nd thought. Sure, they're on prime real estate, but if every hotel in NYC or London or any hot spots that are also "prime', manage the hotel same way, we PL will never get upgrade.

Not having a good feeling about this.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 7:39 pm

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
We were there a bit more than a year ago on a Pleasant Hawaii package rate, but were given a very nice Plat upgrade to the building near the ocean. I sure hope this is just a rogue initiative and not a change of policy, as I didn't find them to punish low rates at all.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
is this property owned and managed by starwood or just managed by starwood hotels
Old Jun 4, 2007, 10:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Originally Posted by falken98

That does not seem right to me, upon checkin shouldn't I have been given the "best available room"? The other "paying customers" would still get the room class they paid for... after all, if I had paid for the upgrade they would have gotten those other rooms anyway.

As a seperate note, the $20 per day resort charge sure seemed like a ripoff. What I got out of it was 2 bottles of water per day (which I get everywhere else anyway). I used nothing else that was "included" in the report fee. So my "award stay" cost me $140 for 14 bottles of water. good deal!

I hope to see some value as a platinum member by the end of the year, or i'm off to try another chain to see if I have any better luck.
This further confirms my theory that most hotels usually set up a "reserve" room rate for certain room upgrades. If you "underpay", you won't be entitled to the best available PL upgrade. Some check-in Associates don't want to explain and they probably just lie to your face saying no upgrade is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.