Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Bear Mountain (Victoria/Langford, BC) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Bear Mountain (Victoria/Langford, BC) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I was there recently. The service has always been quite strong but the food has improved tremendously from a few years ago.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I will be there tomorrow night actually....I hope it is as good as everyone on FT says it is....
Old May 23, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Just got back from a 2 day stay here.

positives
- had booked 2 standard rooms (lowest AAA rate). They upgraded both to 1 bedroom suites ^
- suites are spacious. full kitchen, 1.5 bathrooms (en-suite is very generous) etc.
- resort fee waived on primary room automatically. Platinum amenity offered without prompting.
- largest exercise facility I've seen in any property I've stayed at. In fact, it's a separate complex. A separate ladies gym, and 2 coed gyms upstairs, along with a swimming pool and hot tub. Classes (for an additional fee) are also offered throughout the week.
- late checkout offered on primary room without hesitation
- fast internet : 10Mbps up/down !

negatives
- paper thin walls/doors. The 1 bedroom suites have a lock-off option for the adjacent room, and around 11pm we could hear the neighbours talking - and it came through very loud and clear.
- lobby area is too small for a property this size
- no host at the restaurant on 3 separate occasions. We had to wait around, and then eventually seated ourselves each time. Also no valet/door man up front most of the time. Maybe just understaffed for the holiday weekend?
- $40 pet fee
- 2 HD TVs in the room, but the feed across the entire hotel is standard def.

Finally, the area is still undergoing a fair bit of construction. There's no noise issues, but it just means there's not a lot of stuff around - you have to drive to pretty much anything. Given that we don't golf, we're not likely to return here since our preferred spring/summer getaway remains the Westin Whistler, which is shorter commute for us and there's a lot more in the immediate area.

Last edited by yvr76; May 24, 2011 at 10:19 am
Old May 13, 2012, 10:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Just thought I would post another review. It is a nice hotel and I think represents good value for the accomodations.

My post is based on a Platinum experience.

The Good
- upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite which has a full kitchen, dishwasher, stove. They have almost 50% of the rooms as suites, so a suite upgrade is pretty consistent for platinums here.
- the pool is probably the best outdoor pool in Victoria area. It is heated year round and has a nice area to enjoy the sun in the summer. However can be busy with local families and kids who buy memberships to the gym/pool area.
- the resort is less then 10 years old and has a nice clean new feel to it.
- the price is reasonable for the overpriced Victoria area (my opinion of course) and is probably the only hotel priced under $200 that I would stay in in Victoria.
- golf - a reasonable course but a challenging course.

The not so good
- location. It is located in the middle of nowhere. If you have a car and are looking at specific tourist activities in and around Victoria its probably great. But if you want to visit Victoria city, walk around the city and be close to your hotel - this is not the place for you.
- construction - its a bit messy with construction although since the project went bankrupt there is very little construction going on. It is sort of a half built resort area.
- very little options near. If you want to eat out there is a restaurant(s) in the hotel and one next to it (Jacks). All are good. But everything else is at least a 10 minute drive away 5-10 km away. Victoria is about 15km away.

- they now charge a $5 fee for platinums (used to be free for plats, $15 for others)
- breakfast - they were pretty firm at the front desk that you MUST order the continental NO SUBSTITUTIONS on breakfast and of course nothing for the kids.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:10 pm

I was there a month ago. For the Plat breakfast, they allowed an upcharge to the Great Cdn Breakfast for about $7.

Also, this hotel isn't even in Victoria. It's in Langford. A $50 cab ride, each way. Potential visitors need to be aware of this fact.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Also, this hotel isn't even in Victoria. It's in Langford. A $50 cab ride, each way. Potential visitors need to be aware of this fact.
Very good advisement regarding the location.
Google "Langford BC Jokes" and get a good idea of that area.
Old May 18, 2012, 1:30 pm
Suspended

some good deals to be had at bear mountain right now

we stayed two nights on an award stay (FRN) last year and were upgraded to their one-bedroom suite. It was extremely nice and very big. kitchen, dining room, living room with fireplace and flatscreen tv, a "powder room" by the entrance door. bedroom and bath were very large. i've lived in smaller places than this!
we decided to go back and were able to reserve a traditional room with the "pay your birth year rate" which works out to a decent savings. I get the confirmation email and it has a mention that as I'm platinum, i'm eligeable for an upgrade to a 1 BR suite subject to availability or, for $50, I can guarantee it. Turns out that they only apply the $50 to the first night since my second night is my birth year rate. Plus they put us in the clubhouse rather than the fairways building, plus it's a corner suite which is slightly bigger and has an awesome view.
so traditional room rate + $50 for the first night plus my birth year for the second night plus $10 resort fee (2x$5 for plat) plus 14.24% tax= two nights in a clubhouse corner suite for around $330. And that's a confirmed upgrade. Had I been willing to roll the dice i could have knocked $57 off that.
the person I dealt with at by phone at Bear Mountain was extremely helpful and friendly. I am very pleased with these rates and we're really looking forward to the stay.
On another note to the people who are complaining about this hotel being a 20 minute drive from downtown Victoria; did you expect a "golf resort and spa" to be in the center of town?? the hotel posts its address on their site and there's a map you can look at that clearly shows its location. isn't it SOP to check these things when booking a hotel? some of you make it sound like the hotel is trying to trick you into thinking that it's in the center of victoria.
Old May 19, 2012, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by BenSenise
On another note to the people who are complaining about this hotel being a 20 minute drive from downtown Victoria; did you expect a "golf resort and spa" to be in the center of town?? the hotel posts its address on their site and there's a map you can look at that clearly shows its location. isn't it SOP to check these things when booking a hotel? some of you make it sound like the hotel is trying to trick you into thinking that it's in the center of victoria.
That 20 min drive is when there's no traffic. With traffic, let's double that. And since I only go to Victoria on business, that's what I'm facing every time.

Considering the hotel advertises itself as being in Victoria in the name and address, yeah, I'd say they were trying to trick you into thinking it's in Victoria.

Just to be clear, I stay here often (and hotel hop with the 4Points) and think the rooms/service/food is fine. However, not everyone is anal enough to map out every hotel location they stay in.
Old May 19, 2012, 6:19 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by BenSenise
From the main road up the hill to the hotel is at least 4km. It would take you 20 minutes to drive from the hotel to the Millstream on-ramp of the highway on a normal day. From there, its at least 15 km to the outskirts of Saanich/Victoria border and another dozen or 2 traffic lights to town.

20 minutes? Hmmmmmm are you sure? 45 minutes, if you ask me (unless you're making the trip at midnight).

I agree that this hotel is good, and plat recognition can be great. But in Victoria it is NOT.
Old May 21, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
From the main road up the hill to the hotel is at least 4km. It would take you 20 minutes to drive from the hotel to the Millstream on-ramp of the highway on a normal day. From there, its at least 15 km to the outskirts of Saanich/Victoria border and another dozen or 2 traffic lights to town.

20 minutes? Hmmmmmm are you sure? 45 minutes, if you ask me (unless you're making the trip at midnight).

I agree that this hotel is good, and plat recognition can be great. But in Victoria it is NOT.
I live in Victoria.

From downtown, allow at least 40mins if there's no traffic, and well over an hour at the end of the work day.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
What does this property include to offset resort charges for plats?
Also, do the have bike rentals there?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:23 am

I've never been charged the resort fee as a Plat. No idea about the bikes but you can contact the property directly.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:50 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
See the bottom of post 49 re resort fees. Member reported a $5 charge for Plats as of 5/2012.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
See the bottom of post 49 re resort fees. Member reported a $5 charge for Plats as of 5/2012.
I'm here now and can confirm a $5 charge for PLT members.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Thanks. Is everything there as you expected? I will be there Next Sunday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.