Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hacienda Hotels in Yucatan Mexico **Left Marriott** [Master Thread]

Old May 1, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Map showing locations of each. Merida is the most convenient airport to visit the haciendas.
Rosas y Xocalate ... the only SPG hotel in the city (part of Design Hotels). A fantastic, small boutique hotel right on the edge of the historic Centro.

Hacienda Temozon, Temozon Sur While at Temozon, drive to Celestun to take a boat trip to see the flamingos and mangroves. Closest hacienda to Uxmal.
Hacienda San Jose, Tixkokob, Yucatan
Hacienda Santa Rosa, Santa Rosa
Hacienda Puerta Campeche, Campeche
Hacienda Uayamon, Campeche

Summary by thomasito in 2017:
Hacienda San Jose: beautiful gardens, great pool, big rooms
Hacienda Santa Rosa: the smallest and very charming, nice pool, beautiful building and nice rooms
Hacienda Puerta Campeche: not a real hacienda, in the middle of Campeche town. Not as charming as the other haciendas, but nice pool and beautiful courtyard + spacious rooms
Hacienda Uayamon: stunning setting, beautiful grounds, amazing pool and huge rooms (only suites)
Hacienda Temozon: biggest hacienda with 28 rooms, very elegant, great pool and nice (but dark) rooms, they have their own cenote and you can get there by a donkey carriage.

Most of the haciendas are remote and surrounded by nature, so don't go there if you are very scared from little animals like spiders etc.

What you can expect: unique rooms, high quality beds, friendly staff, pretty good food and a la carte breakfast, tranquility,

Don't go there: if you need stable and fast Internet, a gym, club lounges and standards like in a Sheraton.
Print Wikipost

Hacienda Hotels in Yucatan Mexico **Left Marriott** [Master Thread]

Old Jul 16, 2008, 7:42 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
What an excellent, informative thread! Going to one or more of these haciendas sounds like exactly the kind of vacation my wife and I like. A few questions:

1. What would the weather probably be like in January or February?
Try using some weather on line tools, such as this one:

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/His...ation=MXYN0117

In short, if you've not been to the Yucatan before, you should know two basic things about the weather. It's almost always very hot and the sun is incredibly intense. I remember taking a 90 minute guided tour of Tulum many years ago in mid January (presumably the coolest time of year) and thought I was going to pass out from sheer heat exhaustion. It was surely in the high 90s with a blazing sun beating us down by 10am.

That said, I really love this part of Mexico and despite the challenges of the heat, at times, I keep going back.

If you're planning to use frequent flier miles, you'll have an infinitely easier time getting flights into and out of CUN than you will into MID. If you're lucky enough to find flights into MID, grab them!

If you're planning to build a vacation around the Hacienda experience, then I'd suggest that considerable research about Maya history and the area will greatly enhance your trip once there. Merida is a fascinating city, but many gringos bypass it completely and make little effort to experience much there. To each his/her own, but I think that's a terrible shame.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 7:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
MID is a lot closer to the haciendas than CUN. MX serves MID and the code with AA.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 9:39 am

Programs: CO, US, BA, VA
Starwood in the Yucatan

I want to visit Mayan sites in the Yucatan Pennisula of Mexico. Has anyone stayed at any of the several Starwood properties there? Are any particularly nice? Are any particularly close to the Mayan sites? Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Please search on 'hacienda' for the detailed master thread. Some have reported excellent stays.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: MP 1K to 2P - painful
We stayed at 3 of these properties about 7 years ago. They are very lovely and driving around the smaller mayan sites is a magical experience. Temozan was the largest and the most imposing. It was also the busiest as it's closest to Uxmal and Labna. I wasn't keen on the jr Suite rooms with the plunge pools because there was no privacy. We preferred the very quiet Santa Rosa (rather out of the way) and our favorite was Uayomon. The rooms at the later were , to my taste, the most stylish, and the place is lovely, particularly the pool. We enjoyed the food at all of the hotels.

We enjoyed seeing the Mayan sites further south. I would recommend not limiting yourself to the haciendas, but combining them with some local places to allow you to see sites such as Calakmul.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 2:03 pm
Community Director Emerita

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Passaic. We're glad you made your way to the Starwood forum.

Here are master threads on properties of interest to you.

Yucatan Area
Yucatan - Hacienda Hotels
Yucatan - Hacienda Santa Rosa
Yucatan - Puerta Campeche

We'll let this thread stand for a bit while you figure out what is of interest and will likely then merge it into one of the master threads.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 6:09 pm

Programs: CO, US, BA, VA
Thanks, this is great and much more informative than the Starwood website!
Old Dec 15, 2008, 4:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Great review, sbtinme! We took our first Haciendas trip earlier this year (Campeche, Santa Rosa, and lunch at Uyamon) and will be spending a few nights at San Jose next summer as an add-on to a Cancun trip. We're hoping to swing over to Temozon for lunch one of the days to add it to our Hacienda resume.

They do make for unique experiences. My Spanish is probably a C at best, but we were able to get by just fine. I can certainly see how F students might struggle though.

I don't recall if you've visited any of the other Starwood Haciendas. If so, how would you compare Temozon?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 5:17 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
I don't recall if you've visited any of the other Starwood Haciendas. If so, how would you compare Temozon?
Hi Sam -- I haven't been to the other Haciendas...I'd love to, but I was really looking forward to a very low key getaway and just didn't want to be hacienda hopping this time. One of these days, I'd really love to split up nine or ten days in three of them.

And ... @:-) I just realized that your intials are SPG. ^:-::-:
Old Dec 15, 2008, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by sbtinme
And ... @:-) I just realized that your intials are SPG. ^:-::-:
Who me? I knew there was a reason I came up with that name...

I understand the not wanting to hop. We were there for a week and did five and two. Five was in Campeche so there was plenty to do, but four would have probably been ok. Two at Santa Rosa left us wanting more. This time, it's just three at San Jose. Besides, you need a reason to go back, right?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Hacienda language questions + feasability from Cancun?

My wife and I will be attending a wedding in Playa del Carmen from May 15-17, and I booked a ticket back home on May 26. We plan on spending the last portion of our trip at Le Meridien Cancun using the 5th night free, which leaves us with May 17-21 free at the moment.

I'm intrigued by the Haciendas, especially if I can convince my wife that bugs are part of the package The trip reports in this thread are very comprehensive and valuable.

That said, I have four questions:
  • Neither of us speak a word of Spanish, and as I've no natural facility for languages I don't expect to learn more than a couple of simple phrases between now and then. How difficult is it to get by at the non-hotel restaurants and tourist attractions? My assumption is that there will be at least a little English spoken locally, but I have no idea how much.
  • Is a rental car necessary/recommended in order to travel between the eastern coast of the Yucatan to/from Playa del Carmen and Cancun, and to/from local attractions at the Haciendas? If so, does the Yucatan have the same traffic police issue that is sometimes present in Baja California, i.e. alleged violations are paid in cash, on the spot, and at the officer's discretion?
  • Given the distances involved, is this worth doing as part of this trip since it begins and ends at the eastern resort areas? Part of my rational is to use *points to save money, and I am genuinely interested in the local history and ruins, but if we could see similar ruins closer to Cancun, I might opt to stay there for longer. This might also make me more popular at home
  • If this all makes sense to do, anyone have any recommendations on which Hacienda makes the most sense in terms of distance from Cancun?

As always, the advice of my fellow FT'ers is so appreciated. Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by davesfolhr
Neither of us speak a word of Spanish, and as I've no natural facility for languages I don't expect to learn more than a couple of simple phrases between now and then. How difficult is it to get by at the non-hotel restaurants and tourist attractions? My assumption is that there will be at least a little English spoken locally, but I have no idea how much.
I speak a little bit of Spanish, but am nowhere near fluent. I would think it would be challenging at times not knowing any Spanish. Even some Hacienda staff speak minimal to no English. It all depends how adventurous you want to be.

Is a rental car necessary/recommended in order to travel between the eastern coast of the Yucatan to/from Playa del Carmen and Cancun, and to/from local attractions at the Haciendas? If so, does the Yucatan have the same traffic police issue that is sometimes present in Baja California, i.e. alleged violations are paid in cash, on the spot, and at the officer's discretion?
A rental car will give you a lot more freedom. I suppose you could hire a car service to take you to your Hacienda, but then you're stuck unless you hire someone to take you to see the sites. All of that could get very pricey. We didn't have any police issues on our trip, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. We went through three roadblocks staffed by machine gun carrying military men and they were very pleasant each time. I think it's the local police that can be more of an issue though.

Given the distances involved, is this worth doing as part of this trip since it begins and ends at the eastern resort areas? Part of my rational is to use *points to save money, and I am genuinely interested in the local history and ruins, but if we could see similar ruins closer to Cancun, I might opt to stay there for longer. This might also make me more popular at home
I would venture to say that the Haciendas will give you experiences far beyond anything you could get from Cancun/Playa del Carmen. If you're comfortable going for it, I'd highly recommend it. One of our favorite, if not the single favorite trip we've taken.

If this all makes sense to do, anyone have any recommendations on which Hacienda makes the most sense in terms of distance from Cancun?
I think your best bets in terms of distance are San Jose and Temozon. Santa Rosa is a bit further and Campeche and Uayamon are a lot further.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
[*]Is a rental car necessary/recommended in order to travel between the eastern coast of the Yucatan to/from Playa del Carmen and Cancun, and to/from local attractions at the Haciendas? If so, does the Yucatan have the same traffic police issue that is sometimes present in Baja California, i.e. alleged violations are paid in cash, on the spot, and at the officer's discretion?
I can tell you that I got nailed by a cop while driving through the hotel zone of Cancun on the way to the airport. The jerk said that I was driving 70 km/h and the limit was less (I forget). Because my flight was leaving in 2-3 hours and he said that we had to head to downtown Cancun, I had little room to negotiate as that trip would have caused me to miss the flight. My Spanish is perfect and I probably would have negotiated further, but under those circumstances, I was OK to pay him $100 to end the debacle. By the way, after leaving that point, the next speed limit sign was posted at 70. I am not sure if there is a "tourist speed trap" in the middle where they lower the limit to catch unsuspecting visitors. It does not help that our rented car has a big "Dollar Rent-a-Car" bumper sticker on it.

Maybe we should find a good place to report such incidents. Obviously the Mexican government has no intention to do anything about it, unless bad publicity were to hurt the tourist (read: revenue) stream.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:52 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Hacienda Puerta Campeche / San Jose

Campeche: We stayed at this one for three days. The hotel staff was incredibly friendly and accomodating. The grounds, especially the pool, is a work of art and really a nice experience. There is not much more relaxing that lounging in the hammock suspended over the pool. As a Gold, I was upgraded to a suite, which was nice. Campeche is a rather interesting town to stay in with more to do than at the other Haciendas which are quite remote. We visited Edzna from Campeche, which was fun, as it was one of the diminishing number of sites that still let you climb the ruins.

San Jose: I agree with the previous post that it is difficult to find. We left Campeche, stopped in Merida, and then headed for San Jose. We made a few wrong turns and finally got there. It was nice and much more remote than the other one. We got upgraded to a suite with an outdoor jacuzzi tub, which was nice. The grounds are attractive but the bugs are relentless. A good side trip is Ixamal (sp.) which is a yellow city with maya ruins throughout the city.

We also visited another hacienda on the way to Edzna from Campeche, the pool was enjoyable and it was a nice place for a lunch and visit.

All in all, the hacienda experience was nice. It was a good change of pace from Cancun and these places are destinations in themselves. Of course, they are not for everyone. If Cancun is your ideal kind of destination, then these probably will not be your thing.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 8:30 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
I think your best bets in terms of distance are San Jose and Temozon. Santa Rosa is a bit further and Campeche and Uayamon are a lot further.
IIRC, the distance to Santa Rosa would be almost the same as the distance to Temozon. San Jose is definitely the closest to Cancun since you don't even have to pass through Merida to get to it.

I agree completely with Sam P. Goodman's other statements! Willingness to try at least minor Spanish skills would be beneficial. Car rental is essential unless you want to spend many hundreds of dollars for drivers. Our stay in the Haciendas is one of our all-time favorite vacations and probably our most relaxing one!

If davesfolhr is up for the excursion to one, it sounds as if San Jose would be the best pick. It's closest to Cancun and is relatively close to Chichen Itza. Visit Chichen Itza before or after the busloads of tourists from Cancun and the rest of the eastern coast.

If you're willing to drive another couple hours each way, continue on to Santa Rosa or Temozon. The Mayan ruins at Uxmal are not far from them. You are still allowed to climb one of the pyramids at Uxmal. (Beware: they are narrow steps and very steep!)

A day trip to Celestun could be completed from any of these three Haciendas. At least some of the guides there speak at least some English, but you would be fine if they don't speak any. Fill up with gas before you go; there's no guarantee that the lone gas station in Celestun will be open (though it probably will). I'm sure that any of the Haciendas could arrange for a guide/driver for the day, but it would cost a good bit, I'd think.

The beach town of Progreso is another option just north of Merida.

From Hacienda San Jose, there are some other options for day trips such as flamingos at Rio Lagartos or the ruins of Ek-Balam. You probably won't find many (if any) Americans in any of these places.

I wouldn't recommend venturing out without a map. (I think that I linked to some online here in this thread.) A compass could also be handy. Believe it or not, it's possible to get lost in one of the tiny little towns with just two (slightly winding) roads.

We never have had any problems with police there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.