Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis [Master Thread]

Sheraton Clayton Plaza Hotel St. Louis [Master Thread]

Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Thought about staying here recently but checked the reviews on Starwood. I'm not a fan of tripadvisor but horrible reviews on Starwood's own website from multiple guests who were platinums. Decided to just stay by the airport and Uber into Clayton. Both the Renn and Marriott by the airport tend to upgrade plats, have good lounges, and decent bars.
I haven't stayed in a while, but there used to be a RC (part of MARRIOTT, sort of) in Clayton, but not in the "downtown" Clayton area--it was by itself roughly between downtown Clayton (restaurants, etc.) and the Wash U campus. It wasn't great as a RC but did tend to have quite reasonable room rates.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat / Marriott Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I haven't stayed in a while, but there used to be a RC (part of MARRIOTT, sort of) in Clayton, but not in the "downtown" Clayton area--it was by itself roughly between downtown Clayton (restaurants, etc.) and the Wash U campus. It wasn't great as a RC but did tend to have quite reasonable room rates.
Tempting, but the RC is wanting ~$500/night for a standard room when I can get a 2Queen Suite at the Magnolia for roughly half that. Thanks for the idea though..., I never think to check RC.

KOB
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

I occasionally check out their rates when in Clayton but their rates are usually way over what I think it market in St. Louis. I usually go with staying at the airport or the Residence Inn by the Galleria. Seems like there could be a good business case for bringing the Sheraton up to standard.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Just noticed this when reading the STL Business Journal:

https://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/...ton-plans.html

Property was just sold and significant interior & exterior renovations are planned. I’ve heard horror stories about this place, but hopefully a top bottom renovation will help. Unclear if property will remain a Sheraton or in the Marriott system, but same third party management company to remain in place.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Haven't stayed there in a few years but IIRC it was the level of Sheraton that gives Sheratons a terrible name in the US
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
............ it was the level of Sheraton that gives Sheratons a terrible name in the US
I, unfortunately, concur.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Haven't stayed there in a few years but IIRC it was the level of Sheraton that gives Sheratons a terrible name in the US
Originally Posted by TerryK
I, unfortunately, concur.
me too
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Well. This sucks. I came on to see how the club lounge was bc have two rez and need to cancel one. Looks like I should cancel this one?

Upcoming 3 nights (with club) here for $485 vs Springhill Suites for $550.

Never stayed at either. Thoughts? Or another suggestion near WashU?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Well. This sucks. I came on to see how the club lounge was bc have two rez and need to cancel one. Looks like I should cancel this one?

you wont miss anything with this club lounge.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by Goldorak

you wont miss anything with this club lounge.
Agree 100% -- I stayed at this property last month. The lounge is nothing to write home about.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:57 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.

Living in St Louis, I would say for WashU you want to be in Clayton and not the city and Clayton doesn't have many good choices other than the Ritz which is expensive. I would look at the Cheshire which is an independent hotel very close to WashU or the Residence Inn or Homewood suites by Hilton both of which are by the Galleria. If you want the convenience of being right in Clayton the Sheraton is probably as good as it gets. The Springhill Suites is close also but that area is a traffic nightmare.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by abk
Living in St Louis, I would say for WashU you want to be in Clayton and not the city and Clayton doesn't have many good choices other than the Ritz which is expensive. I would look at the Cheshire which is an independent hotel very close to WashU or the Residence Inn or Homewood suites by Hilton both of which are by the Galleria. If you want the convenience of being right in Clayton the Sheraton is probably as good as it gets. The Springhill Suites is close also but that area is a traffic nightmare.
Thanks. I actually stayed at the Cheshire about 10 years ago. I did look there but the rate was >$200 vs the Sheraton at $150 or so. I won't be in the room much, so I wanted to keep budget down. I'll look at RI, Homewood, and Hilton to see if any of those might be better. The reviews on the Sheraton are awful! I did check the Clayton Plaza Hotel and they have rooms, but there's a bunch of TA reviews saying loud construction this summer is a major problem.

UPDATE: so I just looked and all are running >$200. The Sheraton says 3 min drive to WashU. Springhill is 8 min. I've got to just decide between these at this point. I hate it when a hotel gets as dumpy as this Sheraton seems to be. I stayed in one in Meriden, CT in the fall and it was a SUPREME DUMP. I could not believe how bad it was. A Motel 6 would've been better.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jul 30, 2018 at 12:04 pm
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by abk
Re Homewood suites @Galleria : I stayed there once. Despite the rooms are OK, I will never return. Zero soundproofing. I could almost touch the cars on the expressway and had the feeling to have a car race all night long in my room. It could be better facing the mall.
I was so tired of those bad hotels in this area and the Ritz Carlton being out of budget, I ended up staying downtown at the Hilton (near the stadium), at the Westin (but always pricey) and at the Magnolia (but some rooms are horrible there in the sense 0 natural daylight).
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:48 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Thanks. I actually stayed at the Cheshire about 10 years ago. I did look there but the rate was >$200 vs the Sheraton at $150 or so. I won't be in the room much, so I wanted to keep budget down. I'll look at RI, Homewood, and Hilton to see if any of those might be better. The reviews on the Sheraton are awful! I did check the Clayton Plaza Hotel and they have rooms, but there's a bunch of TA reviews saying loud construction this summer is a major problem.

UPDATE: so I just looked and all are running >$200. The Sheraton says 3 min drive to WashU. Springhill is 8 min. I've got to just decide between these at this point. I hate it when a hotel gets as dumpy as this Sheraton seems to be. I stayed in one in Meriden, CT in the fall and it was a SUPREME DUMP. I could not believe how bad it was. A Motel 6 would've been better.
From what I have heard I would avoid the Clayton Plaza Hotel. I am LOL about the Sheraton in Meriden CT and I am assuming you actually mean the Four Points by Sheraton Meridien. My oldest kid went to school in Middletown and that was the closest SPG property and I spent 4 long years staying there off and on. Finally for graduation we were able to move to the Sheraton South Hartford which was pleasant.

If you are willing to drive a little farther you could look at the Frontenac Hilton. It is right off I 64 so it would add 5 minutes or so but it would be all highway.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by abk
From what I have heard I would avoid the Clayton Plaza Hotel. I am LOL about the Sheraton in Meriden CT and I am assuming you actually mean the Four Points by Sheraton Meridien. My oldest kid went to school in Middletown and that was the closest SPG property and I spent 4 long years staying there off and on. Finally for graduation we were able to move to the Sheraton South Hartford which was pleasant.

If you are willing to drive a little farther you could look at the Frontenac Hilton. It is right off I 64 so it would add 5 minutes or so but it would be all highway.
LMAO. Yes, it was the Four Points. A complete sh*t hole. We were actually there looking at Wesleyan. I'll check out the Frontenac. How does the Sheraton I've currently booked compare to that hideous Meriden spot? I realize this is tedious decision making, but I'll be frequenting STL and so want to lock into a property I like.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.