FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Bali Nusa Dua Westin vs Laguna 2006 onward [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/685079-bali-nusa-dua-westin-vs-laguna-2006-onward-master-thread.html)

MSPeconomist Jun 22, 2013 10:25 am

Originally Posted by RoarAhead (Post 20959156)
As a newly minted Plat - what's the consensus view on which property to chose for a July 2013 stay? I gather this is off-season. We'd be travelling with two young kids, so focus would be high probability of getting a suite upgrade from a standard room. I gather both would have good quality breakfasts offered as a plat amenity at check-inm, and that hotels cannot opt out of this SPG policy? We usually stay at the Conrad in Nusa Dua so are used to the area.

The SPG Plat breakfast amenity in lieu of points is for two people. Many like the pool access rooms at the Laguna, but you can't stay in such rooms and suites with kids. Note also that many rooms and suites at the Laguna have half flights of steps from the entry to the living room and again between the living room and bedroom or bedroom and bath. These would not be convenient with small kids.

aussielori Jun 30, 2013 7:52 pm

Any recent stays as gold? I have some friends travelling with 2 babies and have asked for connecting rooms.

iceman06 Aug 15, 2013 4:59 pm

Stayed at the Westin for 9 nights in Jul 2013 as PLT (2 adults, no kids). Breakfast included in the rate so can't comment on the PLT benefit but assume it applies. Room upgrades: no luck with SuiteNight awards, but got a slightly larger room (separate bath, shower), first floor, away from pool, steps from the beach - very convenient and relatively quiet (except for occasional kids in the hallway which is probably the case throughout both properties). Loved breakfast buffet. As PLT invited to afternoon tea in the lobby with snacks and pastries - loved it so much that went there every day that we weren't sightseeing. Also, among PLT benefits, can choose 20% discount at the spa for the entire stay, which was used and provided very good value, especially when combined with late-night specials. Main spa is being renovated (perhaps completed by now) - but temporarily-converted guest rooms proved more than adequate.

With respect to Laguna, walked around a bit and checked out bars/restaurants. Could have been nice as well, but we were really pleased with Westin. We were torn between the two, and even considered a split stay. Never used the pool, so direct pool access in the Laguna wasn't much of a consideration. Given our Westin experience, we'd go back in a heartbeat.

jamienbaker Aug 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sitbackandrelax (Post 20863544)
Has anyone checked either of the properties recently. Planing a holiday in June and cant decide between Westin Bali and The Laguna. Which is a fresher and better place with better rooms, bathrooms, facilities, pool, garden open spaces etc...

Just spent 5 nights at W in Seminyak, which is greatly improved from two yrs ago when property was brand new. We went to Nusa Dua for some water sports and I was quickly reminded how much I loathe that area. Seminyak infinitely better for food, shopping, and boogie boarding/surfing. I recognize W scene not for all, and perhaps prices are higher, but I still equate staying in Nusa Dua to staying in Seacaucus instead of Manhattan...for those that understand the reference. Listening to waves crashing at night at W is awesome, and there are an abundance of options for food/shopping within easy walking distance.

Sorry to be so anti-Nusa Dua, the place (especially the outdoor mall) just gives me the creeps.

LovetoTravel83 Aug 16, 2013 1:48 am

How is the St. Regis Different the the W? I'm in between the two resorts. Either stay at the W and use the 35% off cert for 5 nights, or stay at a Villa at the St. Regis for 733 USD per night for 5 or 6 nights.

Never been to Bali and all what we're going to do is just sit by the beach.

MSPeconomist Aug 16, 2013 2:48 am

You'll miss a lot of the charm of Bali if you don't leave the beach.

W and StRegis are very different in style. It's largely a matter of which is a better match for your personality.

jamienbaker Aug 16, 2013 3:01 am

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 (Post 21282662)
How is the St. Regis Different the the W? I'm in between the two resorts. Either stay at the W and use the 35% off cert for 5 nights, or stay at a Villa at the St. Regis for 733 USD per night for 5 or 6 nights.

Never been to Bali and all what we're going to do is just sit by the beach.

Presumably that also includes eating along the beach and even partying along the beach? W has many, many more options in this regard, within walking distance (along the beach!). If you are sincere that you want to perpetually have your feet in the sand (which I'm guessing might be a slight exaggeration) then W is way to go. Great sunsets along the beach, it is miles long with all types of establishments. SR you are confined to their single restaurant...or you can walk to Westin I suppose. What a yawn ;)

LovetoTravel83 Aug 16, 2013 4:23 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 21282824)
You'll miss a lot of the charm of Bali if you don't leave the beach.

W and StRegis are very different in style. It's largely a matter of which is a better match for your personality.

Ok, what's in Bali :p? Me and my wife are used to the Maldivian Resorts where basically we never go out of the resort (island) for a week. We enjoyed Punta Mita as well since we never left the resort. we're looking for something similar. Is Bali very different from those two?

LovetoTravel83 Aug 16, 2013 4:28 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker (Post 21282856)
Presumably that also includes eating along the beach and even partying along the beach? W has many, many more options in this regard, within walking distance (along the beach!). If you are sincere that you want to perpetually have your feet in the sand (which I'm guessing might be a slight exaggeration) then W is way to go. Great sunsets along the beach, it is miles long with all types of establishments. SR you are confined to their single restaurant...or you can walk to Westin I suppose. What a yawn ;)

Not really, partying is out of the question for us. We have a a daughter who would be 2 years by then so I don't think we'll be doing anything of that kind. We basically want to get out of the city scene and be somewhere where we can listen to nothing.

jamienbaker Aug 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 (Post 21283040)
Not really, partying is out of the question for us. We have a a daughter who would be 2 years by then so I don't think we'll be doing anything of that kind. We basically want to get out of the city scene and be somewhere where we can listen to nothing.

Then do SR. W is loud on the weekend and the surf can be very dangerous. SR vibe is very relaxed, though honeymooners may glare at your little one (my 6 yr old was fawned over by the staff while leered at by guests). Just be ready for this possibility, don't get me wrong I've travelled with my kids since before they could walk and readily leer back at schmucks that assume the kids are going to be trouble.

LovetoTravel83 Aug 17, 2013 1:25 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker (Post 21286492)
Then do SR. W is loud on the weekend and the surf can be very dangerous. SR vibe is very relaxed, though honeymooners may glare at your little one (my 6 yr old was fawned over by the staff while leered at by guests). Just be ready for this possibility, don't get me wrong I've travelled with my kids since before they could walk and readily leer back at schmucks that assume the kids are going to be trouble.

LOL! Thankfully I don't care if they are annoyed by her. We just want to be there and relax. How's the weather like in late July/early August? Plus, what is there to do besides be at the resort?

jamienbaker Aug 17, 2013 1:48 am

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 (Post 21287944)
LOL! Thankfully I don't care if they are annoyed by her. We just want to be there and relax. How's the weather like in late July/early August? Plus, what is there to do besides be at the resort?

Hard to say. When our youngest was 2 we stuck to stroller friendly places (like Rome or Florence). Bali sidewalks, if any, are a joke - it's as if they've been bombed in a war. If you're comfortable holding her in your arms on a scooter (like the Balinese) then go explore the island. You can definitely enjoy chilling at the resort and swimming with her, but not sure what I'd suggest outside of the resort. We waited until youngest was 6 for Bali, he could hold on in a scooter, we did mask painting, did a cooking class, went snorkeling, stuff like that. No rain, mid 80s every day. I'm in Ubud right now, kids are at a class making silver jewelry. Oh, you could do a Balinese dance one night. Sort or touristy, but worth checking off the list. Good luck!

LovetoTravel83 Aug 17, 2013 3:12 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker (Post 21287988)
Hard to say. When our youngest was 2 we stuck to stroller friendly places (like Rome or Florence). Bali sidewalks, if any, are a joke - it's as if they've been bombed in a war. If you're comfortable holding her in your arms on a scooter (like the Balinese) then go explore the island. You can definitely enjoy chilling at the resort and swimming with her, but not sure what I'd suggest outside of the resort. We waited until youngest was 6 for Bali, he could hold on in a scooter, we did mask painting, did a cooking class, went snorkeling, stuff like that. No rain, mid 80s every day. I'm in Ubud right now, kids are at a class making silver jewelry. Oh, you could do a Balinese dance one night. Sort or touristy, but worth checking off the list. Good luck!

Thanks for everything. Hopefully it will turn out great.

jamienbaker Aug 17, 2013 3:20 am

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 (Post 21288156)
Thanks for everything. Hopefully it will turn out great.

I'm sure it will. Great service levels all over the island. I see you are in SFO, I'd take the day flight and lay over at W Hong Kong (but check bags through), that's our usual deal. Taking the midnight departure and pushing straight through to DPS is tough. Another benefit of SR is they arrange airport VIP arrival service, which is mandatory unless you like being miserable and sweaty and standing in lines for hours. But the majority elect to do just that.

LovetoTravel83 Aug 17, 2013 3:37 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker (Post 21288176)
I'm sure it will. Great service levels all over the island. I see you are in SFO, I'd take the day flight and lay over at W Hong Kong (but check bags through), that's our usual deal. Taking the midnight departure and pushing straight through to DPS is tough. Another benefit of SR is they arrange airport VIP arrival service, which is mandatory unless you like being miserable and sweaty and standing in lines for hours. But the majority elect to do just that.

Not really, I'm all over the place right now. Currently in the Middle East, and going to LAX in a month, so I don't know when I'll return to SFO. Although it could be that I will be in the Middle East next year so I'll be taking Emirates to KUL or SIN then to DPS.