Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Dallas Richardson [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Airtran Elite, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle, SPG PLAT; Hilton Gold

I wanted to write my excellent service and experince at the Rennissance Dallas Richardson hotel (do not confuse this one with the Rennisance closer to the city - not in the same league) I have stayed there at least 7 weeks so far this year. Every single staff member at this hotel is Friendly, always has a smile and goes out of your way to help you. The service is impecable from front desk to concierge lounge. I took my wife and son with me last week to this property and the front desk person who knows me looked up my reservation (keep in my my company has a 104 rate at this hotel) and looked at me and said, well you have your family with you - a king room just won't do. I was still Gold last week (earned platinum after that stay) he immediately without hesitation put us in the presidential sute for the entire week (2br 3br). He also came with us up to the room to make sure it was satisfactory. They also sent a bottle of wine of my choice (99 rombauer cab) up to the room with fruit and all sorts of snacks. The morning and afternoon concierge were equally as nice, went out of their way to cater to my wife the entire week (I had to work) They even had special desserts made for my son(3yrs old) Upon checkout there was a personnally written note in my bill (under the door) from the front desk staff thanking me and hoping I had a good week.

This hotel in my opinion is one of the best in Marriotts portfolio. ALWAYS consistant ALWAYS friendly - down to the maintenance staff. One time the guy in the room next to me was smoking. I went downstairs and talked to the same gentlemen at the desk that gave me the suite next week. They not only fined the indivual - they threw him out of the hotel and perfusely apologized to me.

These "little" things make it totally worth being on the road in order to have things like this happen for your vacation time with them.

unbelievable and a job well done to the staff there.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:33 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I drive by it quite often, but have never actually been there. (Its pretty close to McKinney.) But thanks for the info about the hotel, every once in a while, I've been known to let the kids sleep over friends houses and the wife and I may have a nice weekend night in a close my Marriott. ^ We've normally stayed at the Legacy Marriott in Plano, but I may have to try the Ren sometime.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Hmmm...this has me thinking about moving from the Dallas Renaissance (the one off of N. Stemmons). The 10-12 minute drive into downtown Dallas, though, may keep me here.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:41 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I will let the GM know he is doing good...

as he is my neighbor. I am sure he would be tickled to know that his staff is considered top notch. If you would like to let him know in person be sure to ask for Tom Dwyer while you are in the hotel and I am sure he would be happy to talk with you.

I have watched this hotel rise literally from nothing as my company that I work is next door to it. I can tell you the few times I have stayed there have been outstanding, although personally knowing the GM didn't hurt.

If anyone is thinking about staying here I would highly recommend it and agree 100% that is is a great hotel.

--DD73
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
I stayed there in 2000. No issues to speak of, but I don't remember much about it, so I guess it didn't leave a lasting impression.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
It could have been due to the fact that it was a brand new hotel end of 2000 / beginning of 2001 so all the wrinkles were not quite ironed out yet. I know Tom took it over (and I think opened it up) at the end of 2000, so depending when you were there it might not have been "spectacular" yet.

--DD73
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm staying here tonight. I know this thread is old but didn't see a need for a new one...

Only question I have is whether there's a reasonable parking option near this hotel. Website says self-park is $11, which is exactly $11 too high for a Dallas suburban hotel IMHO.

I'll be in a cheap rental car - street parking is fine as long as it's legal.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Can't help you w/ the car thing. But can you report back after your stay in the exec lounge sticky re: whether it's open, coupons, key accessible, i-net, etc? Thx!

Cheers.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Can't help you w/ the car thing. But can you report back after your stay in the exec lounge sticky re: whether it's open, coupons, key accessible, i-net, etc? Thx!

Cheers.
Sure... I will arrive there tonight at 11PM and depart at 8AM. I'm guessing it'll be closed the whole time but I do usually look for it, try the card, and (if successful) grab a Diet Coke or a water.

I switched to a rate that includes breakfast - strangely enough the best value overall rate there was one that includes breakfast and a $50 Visa giftcard. So I won't, unfortunately, be a good measure of whether Plats on *other* rates get breakfast certs.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by pinniped
Sure... I will arrive there tonight at 11PM and depart at 8AM. I'm guessing it'll be closed the whole time but I do usually look for it, try the card, and (if successful) grab a Diet Coke or a water.

I switched to a rate that includes breakfast - strangely enough the best value overall rate there was one that includes breakfast and a $50 Visa giftcard. So I won't, unfortunately, be a good measure of whether Plats on *other* rates get breakfast certs.
If you check this thread before you arrive or before you take off, can you ask at check-in if the lounge is open on weekends? If not, do they give brekkie coupons? You'll be able to tell if it's key accessible if you're checking for diet coke. And if there's a i-net terminal or wifi.

Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:48 pm

Hmph. Just arrived at the Renaissance in Richardson. Some good and some bad to report.

GOOD:
- Plats get weekend breakfast on all rates.
- Legal overnight street parking is nearby.
- Lounge is closed but my key works for it. (Didn't check WiFi *in* the lounge. Signal is strong on the 12th floor though.)
- The property itself is clean and modern, comparable to the Plano Marriott. A bit nicer than the Renaissance near Love Field (the lipstick-shaped hotel).
- The Platinum amenity is above average - a nice cheese spread with four cheeses and some fruit, not the usual Boursin thing. Wine is the usual Meridien merlot (1/2 bottle).

BAD:
- Check-in was a train wreck. First of all, no one was there to check me in. Finally a guy showed up, but he just started working there today, apparently.
- I was on a $149 rate that included breakfast plus a $50 Visa gift card. The new guy kept calling it the "Fine Dining" rate but said there was no gift card. Finally a 2nd guy showed up and said "No, that's a Shopping Package and it should get a gift card, but the guy who has the gift cards isn't here."
- Finally they just gave me the $87 AAA rate that I almost booked to begin with. I had been willing to buy the higher rate, spending the extra $12 for the extra MR points, but whatever...it's a wash. Biggest complaint is that it took 20 minutes to sort it out.

I'd recommend it as a (usually) lower-cost FS alternative to Plano. But just book the lowest available rate...I'll never attempt the Visa gift card thing again. It's really only my craving for an additional 1,000 or so MR points that made me consider it to begin with - it was not actually a better deal.

ADDED THIS MORNING:
- Very good buffet. The details were well-attended to. Crispy bacon, flavorful potatoes, etc. Eggs to order (incl. omelets) are offered as well. Overall, good restaurant service.
- Strangely enough, the hotel could not provide a final bill for me. I'm sure it's related to my rate change from last night. The morning crew, however, was much friendlier and promised to send an email this morning. (We'll see if that happens...)

Last edited by pinniped; Aug 20, 2011 at 7:43 am
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:19 pm

I'm looking at a stay here next month. Would be a weekend, in Saturday, out Monday. Can anyone confirm the parking situation? Still legal and free to park on nearby streets? Hotel's own lot is rather spendy (near $20 with tax).
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The Eisemann Performance Center is across the street and condos/apartments adjacent, so you should be able to find a free spot.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
The parking structure is owned by the City of Richardson and was built to provide the city with cash flow during special events. Just one of those things that cities do to improve their revenue balance. I suspect that the developer received tax breaks and this was to offset them.

My last stay was in 2011. I have not had the hotel comp my parking due to the city ownership. When I street park I have felt safe. Do not park in front of the businesses in the strip mall unless you leave early.

This hotel really bears the imprint of John Hammons, back when he was leading the development of the brand. His death a year ago leaves us with less talent in the industry, even though Alzheimers robbed him of his vitality years ago.

Last edited by Texas Booster; Mar 5, 2014 at 6:02 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
I stay here several times a year. My corporate rate includes free parking in the garage, as well as free breakfast (although I usually just eat in the lounge as a plat.) If you have access to a corporate travel rate, you may want to see if it offers free parking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.