Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Nines, Luxury Collection in Portland, OR [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Nines, Luxury Collection in Portland, OR [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Just checked in to find an nice anniversary note written to the wrong person. I'm not married lol.

Overall pretty good hotel just an first time case though where the lounge did not provide any drinks for display. All drinks including bottled water, you have to ask an attendant for it during the hours there is one. So you can't just randomly pop in to get water.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
I didn't see this posted upthread. Lounge hours have changed, apparently recently.

6:30a - 8:00p weekdays
7:30a - 8:00p weekends

Hors d'oeuvres switch over to desserts at 6p.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:30 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Nines Suite stay--incredible hard product, mixed service, but still a wonderful stay

The Nines

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

The Nines

525 SW Morrison Street Portland, OR US 97204

The Nines Suite stay--incredible hard product and very good service and food/beverage (37 Photos)

The Nines

My husband and I, along with 2 other couples, traveled to Oregon to see the total solar eclipse this past weekend. We spent 1 night at The Nines before heading to the Willamette Valley for 2 nights at The Allison Inn & Spa--closer to the eclipse totality zone.

The Nines is a great boutique feeling luxury hotel with a tremendous hard product and a good but not perfect soft product. The hotel looks amazing. The rooms/suites look and were amazingly well appointed. Everything felt very luxurious and eclectic--perfect for a city like Portland. The service had a few misses, but overall it was quite good. The service misses were more obvious at the better rated Allison Inn and Spa, actually, so these may reflect the more casual, relaxed nature of the Portland and Oregon markets--where the Nines, the nearby but dated Heathman, and the Allison properties very well might constitute the bulk of the luxury hotel sector.

I had booked a One Bedroom Suite almost a year in advance, knowing the eclipse would cause issues. The hotel kindly had agreed to upgrade me in advance first to a Hospitality Suite, then to the specialty Frank and Meier Suite, because of my Ambassador status and because we had 2 other couples booking rooms there, too. And because I asked! 

A few days before arrival, I was informed that we had been further upgraded to the Nines Suite, the hotel's top accommodation. 

Check In

Check in for us was a bit curious. We arrived with one other couple around 1 pm, so we knew our rooms/suites would not be ready until 3 pm. We took the elevator to the 8th floor lobby and check in desk.

The front office manager came to greet us personally, which was quite impressive. She informed us that while our friends' room wouldn't be ready until 3 pm, our suite should be ready before 2 pm. They said we would receive a call letting us know. That didn't turn out to be the case, however.

Ultimately, at 2:30 pm, having heard nothing after a lovely lunch in the hotel lobby restaurant, we checked again with the front desk...and our suite still wasn't ready. Having set the expectation, this was disappointing and didn't reflect well on the manager or the hotel team.

We finally got into our suite at about 2:45 pm. 

Room

Below are descriptions of the 3 room types that we had among our group: The Nines Suite, a Club Deluxe Room, and a Club One Bedroom Suite.

THE NINES SUITE

The Nines Suite is amazing...and huge at 1768 square feet. 

The entry is reasonably unassuming:

20170819_142534.jpg

The entry hallway, just off of which to the left was a powder bath, a hall closet, and the entry to the buter/kitchen area:

20170819_170257.jpg

20170819_170312.jpg

20170819_143718.jpg

The entry hallway ended with another hallway, which opened up into the grand two story living room. The living room had plenty of seating, and was attached to the dining room and bar/kitchen/butler area:

20170819_142648.jpg

20170819_170600.jpg

20170819_170519.jpg

The chic dining room:

20170819_142719.jpg`

The butler/kitchen behind the bar had a doorway into the dining room and the other door back into the entry hallway as previously mentioned. There was a full kitchen with wine refrigerator:

20170819_142750.jpg

20170819_142736.jpg

Down the hallway in the other direction from the living room was the bedroom and a study/office across the hall. The hall ended with a locked door that presumably permits addition of an additional bedroom if needed.

The study:

20170819_142922.jpg

The master bedroom across the hall was spacious and had lots of natural light with a generously appointed and chic master bath:

20170819_171109.jpg

20170819_142912.jpg

The TV rose from the base of the bed cabinet, much like we have in our home. 

20170819_171118.jpg

20170819_142853.jpg

20170819_142904.jpg

20170819_142859.jpg

20170819_184137.jpg

The lack of frosted glass for the toilet room was curious to us--a simple yet still cohesive solution for privacy. The lack of a trash can in the main bath was also curious; the only trash can was in the toilet room.

The air con was the biggest miss for the Nines Suite. it simply didn't cool well. For the hotel's top accommodation, this was very disappointing for me, as I am well known for needing it to be 68 F to sleep. The main living area had one thermostat that never dropped below 74 F. The bedroom had a separate thermostat that never dropped below 73 F. 

20170820_083646.jpg

CLUB DELUXE ROOM

Our friends had a club room and a one bedroom suite. They upgraded our friends to the Club floor on the 12th floor so that they would be down the hall from us. Unfortunately, that seemed to also give them the smallest possible room (219 square feet) and darkest possible room.

The room was very nicely appointed. It was just very small and very dark with the one small window. You clearly want to ask for a larger room if at all possible.

1_20170819_131303.jpg

20170819_131334.jpg

20170819_131346.jpg

20170819_131208.jpg

20170819_131404.jpg

20170819_131236.jpg

The bathroom was single vanity but otherwise fine.

20170819_131212.jpg

20170819_131223.jpg

Their air con worked very well, fortunately. 

CLUB ONE BEDROOM SUITE

Our other friends had a one bedroom suite that was upgraded to the Club level. It was very spacious and well appointed, but they felt it was a little dark.

The entry was wide and open:

IMG_1736.JPG

The spacious living room:

IMG_1730.JPG

The bedroom was at the end of the wide entry hall:

IMG_1733.JPG

1_IMG_1734.JPG

The bathroom was off the entry hallway next door:

IMG_1732 (1).JPG

The air con worked very well in this suite, as well.

Service

Service overall was very good.

Check in was not handled well insofar as setting false expectations, as I mentioned previously. Not only did I complain about that, but there were two guests before me in line who complained about the same thing--being promised a room would be ready over an hour before it actually was ready. Perhaps we can chalk it up to housekeeping not being prepared for the eclipse selling out the hotel, but that isn't saying great things about management.

The hotel staff brough up a nice welcome treat to our suite for us and our friends:

20170819_175207.jpg

20170819_175721.jpg

That is a pretty good bottle of Pinot Noir, about $45 retail.

When my air con didn't seem up to snuff, I called for an engineer--who came very promptly. He was extremely kind and helpful in trying to make it better, but he did advise that the big room wouldn't improve much. They did send up two fans to help, and those fans did save me--though I still didn't sleep so well. Of course, this air con issue won't be an issue for most, only those of us who require it be quite cold. (Our friends' rooms all got very cold, so this could be an issue only for the extremely large Nines Suite.)

We asked for extra water, and they brought up 8 bottles. No problem!

We did have trouble getting an answer on the phone a few times, probaby due to the hotel being sold out for the eclipse. Still, that's a no-no.

Service in the lobby bar and both restaurants was excellent. Room service delivery was pretty prompt (under 30 min), too. 

Overall, I'd say service was very good.

Dining

Food and beverage service was very good, though our breakfast room service orders weren't too hot. Otherwise, we were extremely pleased!

We had lunch at the Urban Farmer restaurant in the main lobby level on the 8th floor. Excellent food and service.

20170819_132205.jpg

We had drinks that night in the lobby area. Service was again friendly and pretty prompt.

20170819_132121.jpg

20170819_132126.jpg

We had dinner at the top floor Departure restaurant, which is also quite the snazzy and chic bar scene. Food and service was excellent again. 

It says a lot that we had breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the hotel for our one night stay--and really enjoyed them. Very impressive.

CLUB LOUNGE

I am not a fan of Club Lounges or Executive Lounges in luxury hotels, as I generally believe these are where people go to save money by squeezing in their entire family and all their children for a buffet style feast that in no way epitomizes luxury. That was the case here at the Nines, too.

There were families literally hanging outside the door to the Club Lounge waiting for anyone else to enter or exit so they could gain entry. The hotel should have someone checking room numbers/names on entry to guarantee this doesn't happen. The net result was a ridiculously crowded and unattractive lounge with lots of garbage laying around. Not impressive. 

We used the lounge only to get coffee and bottled water. The coffee was terrible, though.

The hotel has a very central location in the middle of the city. It was a 5-10 min drive for us to reach the arts area to walk around. It was a 20 min drive from the airport without too much traffic.

Overall

We really loved the Nines. While our friends' Club level room was tiny and dark, our Nines Suite really was over the top. Service was very good, and food/beverage was outstanding. The hotel felt luxurious in a boutique, bohemian, artsy way, perfectly suited for its Portland location. We would return in a second!

For those who think having Ambassador service is a waste, our Nines stay and huge suite upgrade and service experience goes to show that isn't true. Being an Ambassador level guest clearly elevated our stay and experience--and that of our friends, too! 

The Nines Suite stay--incredible hard product and very good service and food/beverage

Would you like to write a review on the The Nines?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
What a great review of one of my favourite properties! I was there last week (pre-eclipse) for a one night stay and they were very apologetic about not being able to put me in a suite since I had requested a 4 pm check out and the one they had blocked for me had an early check in request the following day. Since I needed to work all day on east coast time I took the original room which was on the Club Level and had a great window. It's amazing how much the rooms vary (I've stayed here many times since they opened) but they always take great care of me even though I'm just a regular plat.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by canadiantransplant
What a great review of one of my favourite properties! I was there last week (pre-eclipse) for a one night stay and they were very apologetic about not being able to put me in a suite since I had requested a 4 pm check out and the one they had blocked for me had an early check in request the following day. Since I needed to work all day on east coast time I took the original room which was on the Club Level and had a great window. It's amazing how much the rooms vary (I've stayed here many times since they opened) but they always take great care of me even though I'm just a regular plat.
Agree that the rooms vary, even on the Club Level. I stayed at the Nines for about 7 or so weeks. Based on my recollection and from what I can tell in Bhrubin's pics, the Club room definitely is not the smallest, even by Club Floor standards.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
When I was staying at the Nines every other week last year they would put me in the corner room on the same floor as the gym, corner closest to the gym. Loved that room - not a Suite but huge + no need to get in the crowded elevator wet post gym
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the club level also has interior rooms facing a courtyard, so anything with an exterior window is pretty good. Even the small rooms are stylish and pretty.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:08 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 10/12 - 10/13

Location: The hotel is located in Pioneer Courthouse Square (which gave this lawyer a smile) on 5th and Morrison Streets. There are several light rail stops within two blocks of the hotel. PDX is a $25 Uber ride and Portland Union Station is a three-quarter mile walk away. Powell's City of Books and a number of great restaurants, bars and breweries are all an easy walk. As far as a downtown, centralized location, it's hard to beat this hotel.

(The hotel is on the left, view from Pioneer Square)

Hotel: This was my first luxury collection so I wasn't sure what to expect. Well, I was blown away. It is a little confusing when you arrive as you have to take an elevator to the 8th floor to check in and the walk to the check in desk isn't intuitive but once I got the hang of it I loved being here. There's an expansive lobby in the central atrium with two bars and restaurants. They stop serving food at 11 but room service is 24 hours.

Check In: As friendly and helpful as one can ask for. No issues confirming a 4 PM late checkout for me (SPG Gold) and we were asked if we wanted points or a welcome amenity. The hotel features were explained to us and we were sent on our way.

Room: We were in a Superior Room which was very nice, felt to me like a Parisian apartment. The beds were very comfortable, the bathroom was well appointed and we had a full size closet. The only complaint is the room faced the interior atrium so no views or morning light but that's not even worthy of the term complaint.

The hotel is pricy ($364.80 for the night) but I found it well worth it. It's one of the best hotels I've stayed at in the US.

Last edited by CMK10; Oct 17, 2017 at 10:14 am
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: HH Silver
Happy to hear the great reviews as I've confirmed a 2-night stay in June and am very much looking forward to it. I booked the same Superior room with an atrium view but the location is far more important to the than the view from the room so

I was reading the TriMet light rail line runs right out to PDX and there's a stop across the street but as anyone taken this recently and have comments? At $2.50 one-way and no connections it seems the easiest way to & from PDX as I won;t be renting a car.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:26 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by tcook052
Happy to hear the great reviews as I've confirmed a 2-night stay in June and am very much looking forward to it. I booked the same Superior room with an atrium view but the location is far more important to the than the view from the room so

I was reading the TriMet light rail line runs right out to PDX and there's a stop across the street but as anyone taken this recently and have comments? At $2.50 one-way and no connections it seems the easiest way to & from PDX as I won;t be renting a car.
MAX is very simple direct from PDX to doorstep of the Nines and downtown. June is still early so be prepared for rain, generally July 5th to Labor Day is best weather, LOL, enjoy Portland
canadiantransplant likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:57 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
A Night in Portland at The Nines

The Nines

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

The Nines

525 SW Morrison Street Portland, OR US 97204

A Night in Portland at The Nines (2 Photos)

The Nines

I chose this hotel because the Embassy Suites, where I stayed on my two previous visits to Portland, was full.  I searched for "Five-Star" hotels in Portland, and this was all that came up.  

Check In

The lobby of the hotel is on the eighth floor, and this is somewhat awkward.  The street-level entrance only has a stand for the valet. 

Room

I was disappointed with the decor of the room, for some very practical reasons.  The couch was impossibly uncomfortable, with a section in the middle with no back.  What if you want to sit close to someone special?  There was also a chair, but it did not look very inviting.  Then there was a large section of the curtain that was permanently fixed blocking one of three windows.  I had purely aesthetic objections to the wallpaper and artwork.  

Also, there was no coffee maker in the room, and no obvious way to order a pot and have it delivered.  Coffee was available in the morning in the lobby.IMG_7090.jpgIMG_7092.jpg

Dining

I had dinner with my sister and her husband at Departure on the top floor.  From their web page, "Chef Gregory creates accessible Asian cuisine using traditional techniques. We are committed to offering diners the most authentic ingredients for unique, modern, pan-Asian cuisine."  The decor is very modern, but the seating and ambiance was comfortable.  We had the Tasting Menu, which was outstanding.

Service

I am not the most experienced world traveler by any means, but the desk clerk posed a question to me that I had not heard before: "What time will you be departing?"  I pressed the clerk for an explanation, and she said that after the predicted departure time, the housekeepers would knock on the door to start cleaning the room.  This eliminates a major source of inconvenience for the housekeepers (not knowing if guests have left before check-out time).  But I was a bit taken aback with the question.

The location is central in downtown Portland, and conveniently close to the light rail for a connection to the airport or other points.  I was traveling by train, and it was a $7.50 taxi ride from the hotel to Union Station.

Overall

Mainly because I was disappointed in the room, I would not recommend this hotel.  I am sure somebody put a lot of thought into the decor, but it has some very practical problems.  For a downtown hotel, the Embassy Suites has much more comfortable furnishings in addition to offering a suite for a comparable price.

Also, the hotel is challenged by being in a mostly deserted building.  While the Pioneer Square area is vibrant, the depqrture of Macy*s from the building below The Nines has left a gaping hole in the community. 

A Night in Portland at The Nines

Would you like to write a review on the The Nines?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Staying here now as our second visit. Seems very busy — checked in a bit before 5 on a Sunday but our room wasn’t ready until closer to 6. The front desk person explained that since they are now Marriott, lounge access is no longer a Platinum benefit. You have to be on the club floor. She said going forward they will try to upgrade Platinums to the club floor, but if that doesn’t happen then you won’t get lounge access. We were disappointed to hear this, since we weren’t upgraded to a club floor room (just eventually a nice corner room by the gym). Luckily the manager was standing right there and overheard, and offered to make an exception so we could use the lounge while we waited for our room (and for the rest of our stay).

So note to self: book a club room in the future, since I wouldn’t count on an exception next time.

Oh, and the lounge itself was VERY busy and crowded, so I guess I could see why the hotel is opting to reduce the number of guests competing for the limited space there.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Jase415
Staying here now as our second visit. Seems very busy — checked in a bit before 5 on a Sunday but our room wasn’t ready until closer to 6. The front desk person explained that since they are now Marriott, lounge access is no longer a Platinum benefit. You have to be on the club floor. She said going forward they will try to upgrade Platinums to the club floor, but if that doesn’t happen then you won’t get lounge access. We were disappointed to hear this, since we weren’t upgraded to a club floor room (just eventually a nice corner room by the gym). Luckily the manager was standing right there and overheard, and offered to make an exception so we could use the lounge while we waited for our room (and for the rest of our stay).

So note to self: book a club room in the future, since I wouldn’t count on an exception next time.

Oh, and the lounge itself was VERY busy and crowded, so I guess I could see why the hotel is opting to reduce the number of guests competing for the limited space there.
Did they offer you breakfast as a plat amenity since they sort of weren't giving club access?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Yeah, it’s 1,000 points.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Jase415
The front desk person explained that since they are now Marriott, lounge access is no longer a Platinum benefit. You have to be on the club floor. She said going forward they will try to upgrade Platinums to the club floor, but if that doesn’t happen then you won’t get lounge access. We were disappointed to hear this, since we weren’t upgraded to a club floor room (just eventually a nice corner room by the gym). Luckily the manager was standing right there and overheard, and offered to make an exception so we could use the lounge while we waited for our room (and for the rest of our stay).

Marriott policy has always been that if there is a lounge, Gold & Plats (post 8/18 Plats, Plat Premier & Ambassador) have access to the exec lounge, even if not on the club floor. Sounds like the hotel has made its own decision to limit club access to club floor rooms. It could also be that the property is confused re: the policy.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.