Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Nines, Luxury Collection in Portland, OR [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Nines, Luxury Collection in Portland, OR [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2022, 2:53 pm

The Nines has been one of my favorite domestic hotels, but while every other hotel I have visited in the past year + has reopened its lounge, The Nines continues to keep its closed (which is unfortunate, as it was one of the best in the US and a reason to stay at The Nines vs. other downtown options). Does anyone here have an insight? The response from the hotel has been quite vague. . .
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by sbrwi
The Nines has been one of my favorite domestic hotels, but while every other hotel I have visited in the past year + has reopened its lounge, The Nines continues to keep its closed (which is unfortunate, as it was one of the best in the US and a reason to stay at The Nines vs. other downtown options). Does anyone here have an insight? The response from the hotel has been quite vague. . .
Even if they reopen their lounge, they aren't obligated to provide access to Elites due to their Luxury Collection brand. As a result, it seems like they are angering less folks by not opening it if they don't want to open it as a revenue-generating measure.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Even if they reopen their lounge, they aren't obligated to provide access to Elites due to their Luxury Collection brand. As a result, it seems like they are angering less folks by not opening it if they don't want to open it as a revenue-generating measure.
Fair point regarding club access / The Luxury Collection. The Nines did often have club (access) rooms that weren’t much more expensive than a standard room and the club was a very nice spot for breakfast or a quick glass of wine in the evening. Extremely friendly staff too—it’s too bad but I’m guessing it’s not opening anytime soon, if ever.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Still the Poshest in Portland

It’s hard to pin point an absolute best hotel in Portland. I’ve stayed in pretty much all of them over the years and there’s pros and cons to every single one when you factor in location, view, service, and of course the cost.

The Nines remain to be one of the more expensive in the city but for this last minute stay if you can add in some dining credits and breakfast then it becomes a good option.

Busy day at the hotel today so no upgrade from the deluxe room that was the only room available at the time of booking. We at least got the higher floor I’ve requested. Check in was fine. Not very much recognition of Marriott status, but at least the Virtuoso benefits were acknowledged and explained.

I’ve stayed here many times over the years and the hotel has done a good job in maintaining the property. The room is clean and inviting. It’s a bit small, with stingy views to look at but it’s away from the atrium so no noise to contend from Urban Farmer which is currently the only dining option. Club lounge is also closed.

As far as food and service Urban Farmer is fine. Good, but certainly not the best steak house in Portland. Breakfast is offered with lots of options as well. Service is friendly, which is great as I’ve seen pretty snobby employees here over the years.

With that said, the pros of this hotel is certainly location, and with proper room (my favorite is still corner facing Pioneer Square, albeit all non-king rooms, but they’re spacious) you get the best view in my opinion. It remains to be the poshest in the city and remains to be the choice of NBA teams when they’re here. If you’re a big fan don’t be surprised to have the best player of Golden State in the same elevator joining you for example 😊. (I’m a big Blazer fan but it’s still hard not to get excited)

The cons, well, service can be hit or miss, and there are rooms especially when the property is packed, that is less desirable. It is consistently the most expensive as well in Portland and the value proposition from relying just on elite benefits may not always out weigh the extra cost. Also, valet is expensive. If you’re willing to use spothero though and willing to walk 2 blocks to a secure garage, you can get a spot for less than 10 bucks.

dgreen12 likes this.
Old May 21, 2023, 12:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Staycation here for a night avoiding a 45 min drive home from a black tie event Got a great rate last minute sub $150. Asked via chat for suite but was politely told “can’t confirm anything until arrival”, fair enough. Parked on the street 2 blocks away vs. $63 valet charge.

At Check-in, was recognized nicely as lifetime titanium, took $40 breakfast credit (that’s per person!). Was upgraded to atrium facing suite, same one I’ve had several times before. Room AC was freezing cold, and well kept as always.

Service and food in urban farmer were fantastic, struggled to use my $40, which is a pretty good problem to have! Overall, still my go to for Portland, will reevaluate after the RC finally opens maybe later this summer.

Edit to add - club lounge is essentially dead. It’s recently been used for wine tastings 4-6p for eligible guests, but will not be used for morning or evening receptions like it used to be. This is a sad development.

Last edited by nevansm; May 21, 2023 at 5:28 pm
Old Dec 30, 2023, 5:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Was considering giving The Nines a second chance (had great experiences during the SPG days, not great experiences since Marriott took over) since there is a new GM. However, this hotel has jumped on the destination fee bandwagon so booking elsewhere.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lilpisher
Was considering giving The Nines a second chance (had great experiences during the SPG days, not great experiences since Marriott took over) since there is a new GM. However, this hotel has jumped on the destination fee bandwagon so booking elsewhere.
Their demise is such a shame. Was truly a standout property in all of the US for value and luxury during SPG days. Even early Marriott, the club lounge still was good and upgrades plentiful. I had a staycation there about 9 months ago and won’t return.

Not sure what you’re seeking, but I’d caution against the RC, while the lobby bar is amazing, I’ve heard lackluster reports of the rooms being slightly shined up Marriotts. In addition I had a pretty sub par experience at their high end dining outlet.
applesauce likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by nevansm
Their demise is such a shame. Was truly a standout property in all of the US for value and luxury during SPG days. Even early Marriott, the club lounge still was good and upgrades plentiful. I had a staycation there about 9 months ago and won’t return.

Not sure what you’re seeking, but I’d caution against the RC, while the lobby bar is amazing, I’ve heard lackluster reports of the rooms being slightly shined up Marriotts. In addition I had a pretty sub par experience at their high end dining outlet.
Agreed - really used to be a great property. Was surprised at how much of a shift there was between SPG and Marriott since its always been managed by Sage Hospitality. Appreciate the caution on the RC. I’m planning to give the Hotel Vance a try - my own little form of meaningless protest is to only stay at legacy SPG brands.

Last edited by lilpisher; Dec 31, 2023 at 11:31 am
Old Dec 30, 2023, 11:39 pm

Agreed - really used to be a great property. Was surprised at how much of a shift there was between SPG and Marriott since it’s always been managed by Sage Hospitality. Appreciate the caution on the RC. I’m planning to give the Hotel Vance a try - my own little form of meaningless protest is to only stay at legacy SPG brands.
Not quite the same, but the restaurant at Hotel Vance is the awful attempt of franchising by some sportsplayer and the Vance itself only offers gift cards to Starbucks for elite breakfast.

We're currently at the AC in Vancouver and it's surprisingly pleasant. Good views and plane watching. Beds are just ok but the 'larger' rooms and suites are spacious with nice views of the river, West hills, i5 bridge and landing planes. Little niceties like cowboys crisp apples and all-day coffee in the atrium, bags of dried lavender in the evening for sleep. We're finding the riverfront and downtown Vancouver to be a huge improvement from Portland these last few years. Not a bad staycation.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
samosa likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Agreed - really used to be a great property. Was surprised at how much of a shift there was between SPG and Marriott since its always been managed by Sage Hospitality. Appreciate the caution on the RC. I’m planning to give the Hotel Vance a try - my own little form of meaningless protest is to only stay at legacy SPG brands.
I stayed at the Vance once and it was fine. Large room and good service but breakfast was horrendous. It’s also not in the most central of areas but a good location for some businesses including the businesses within that hotel building.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by samosa
I stayed at the Vance once and it was fine. Large room and good service but breakfast was horrendous. It’s also not in the most central of areas but a good location for some businesses including the businesses within that hotel building.
Did very little at the Vance and did post a more comprehensive update on their thread. What made me a fan was their proactive elite recognition. Upgrade, late checkout, early check in - couldn't have been more seamless.
samosa and applesauce like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.