Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Miyako, Osaka, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2014, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS

Pool, Sauna, and Health Club Admittance Policy
  • The health club is closed on the first Thursday of every month.
  • Due to health club regulations and safety reasons, children under 12 years old are not allowed to enter the pool, even if accompanied by an adult.
  • An entrance fee applies for use of the pool, sauna, and health club.
  • Guests who have a tattoo may not be permitted to use the hotel’s pools or other facilities where the tattoo might be visible to other guests.
Club Lounge
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Miyako, Osaka, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by talfred
Hi FTers,

Planning my first trip to Japan! Doing the newbie Tokyo-Osaka-Kyoto route - So appreciate any recommendations/advise with Marriott/SPG chain hotels.

I am Plat Premier and had booked the single bed room for a pretty low rate of about 11k yen, will be travelling with my wife.

Am I going to run into issues with hotels in Japan where I booked a single occupancy but the fact that my wife would be in the same room with me?

I do intend to email the hotel in advance and asked to be assigned into a king room but thought I'd check here too

Cheers
Japan goes by the book so if you have 2 pax staying in the room, you had better book for 2 pax. If you want to take a chance, it's at your own risk. Besides, the 2nd pax should only cost about JPY2K more or so.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:35 pm

Thank you all - I did write to the hotel and they reverted that they'll be happy to assign a king room for me, guessing that I got lucky due to PP status
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Stayed here recently. Everything is clean and orderly, but you are getting a real throwback to the 1980s. Maybe there are refurbished/rennovated rooms, but I didn't see them. Then again, rates are quite low for Osaka, so I'm not complaining.

Also found the location inconvenient....unless you are using the Kintetsu Railway, you will need to walk a lot until you get to a JR station or Osaka metro station.

Also, what's up with the check-in desk/reception on the 2nd floor tucked away in a darkish corner ?
Was there any good reason to have it this way ?
Old May 1, 2019, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Also found the location inconvenient....unless you are using the Kintetsu Railway, you will need to walk a lot until you get to a JR station or Osaka metro station.
I guess you missed the Metro station, it's just underground.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
I guess you missed the Metro station, it's just underground.
That's NOT a metro station below the sheraton....it's the kintetsu railway station called "Osaka Uehommachi" station.
It's not part of the normal metro system, and doesn't go to many useful places in Osaka.

The actual osaka metro station (called Tanimachi 9-chome Station) requires at least a minimum 15 min underground walk through endless corridors and a lot of stairs until you finally get to the platform.
nexusCFX likes this.

Last edited by est-gratuite; May 1, 2019 at 8:54 am
Old May 1, 2019, 8:56 am

Another note about this hotel. Stayed here twice in 2 different rooms (with balconies) and could NOT open any of the windows for fresh air in either of the rooms.
Despite the rooms having balconies, but it looked like they hadn't been open or used in at least a decade or more.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Jun 6, 2019 at 12:58 am
Old May 2, 2019, 11:29 am

That's NOT a metro station below the sheraton....it's the kintetsu railway station called "Osaka Uehommachi" station.
It's not part of the normal metro system, and doesn't go to many useful places in Osaka.

The actual osaka metro station (called Tanimachi 9-chome Station) requires at least a minimum 15 min underground walk through endless corridors and a lot of stairs until you finally get to the platform.
I stay in this hotel lots of times, I know the stations. Doesn't take 15 mins actually. Anyways let's move on.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:30 am

Another note about this hotel. Stayed here twice in 2 different rooms and could NOT open any of the windows for fresh air in either of the rooms.

The rooms had balconies, but it looked like they hadn't been open or used in at least a decade or more.
You can open the bottom part of the window.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:02 am

You can open the bottom part of the window.
I was on one of the top floors in a clean but very old fashioned room with a balcony I couldn't access. I didn't see any way to open the bottom part of the window. Maybe the setup is not the same in all rooms.

I stay in this hotel lots of times, I know the stations. Doesn't take 15 mins actually. Anyways let's move on.
Perhaps you know of some shortcuts you'd like to share here. But for me from the train platform of Osaka METRO Tanimachi 9-chome station to the Sheraton check-in desk on the 2nd floor took me more than 15 minutes. I'm a fast walker and can find my way easily in Japan most of the time.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Jun 6, 2019 at 12:44 am
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:19 am

As others have already said club lounge on 18th floor is quite small and somewhat depressing.
9 tables total.
Same size almost as a suite room or some people's living rooms.
There's not much space to lay out a decent selection of warm food even if they wanted to. Also ZERO devices to keep food warm or cold, so all food (ie tiny snacks) are served at room temperature. There is no way you will get anywhere near full from the very limited bare bones selection of food served on evenings even if you help yourself to multiple servings. Getting drunk on the other hand is easy with all the alcohol on offer.

From what i could gather they give all plats and titaniums 1000 points AND free breakfast in the 2nd floor restaurant as a welcome gift, cause the lounge only opens at 11am. The lounge is just too small and basic for even a simple breakfast offering, and like i mentioned above zero devices to keep food warm or cold, so all served at room temperature. They don't make you chose between the 2 welcome options (1000 points or free breakfast) like other Sheratons.

Im sure they have more than enough space elsewhere in the hotel where they could make a much bigger lounge.
The hotel building itself is absolutely enormous.
I think this is a case of them having the bare minimum of something called a "lounge" to satisfy the franchise/brand rules, but doing it the cheapest way possible. Hence why prices at this hotel are low for a reason. Good hotel for cheap nights or mattress runs, but very subpar if you like modern rooms and a decent lounge.
Intl359Widget likes this.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Jun 6, 2019 at 2:32 am
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
(...). Hence why prices at this hotel are low for a reason. Good hotel for cheap nights or mattress runs, but very subpar if you like modern rooms and a decent lounge.
True that. In April I was lucky getting one of the refurbished modern rooms. Those are really nice. ... this week it was one of the old rooms again. That was really hard after having experienced one of the refurbished rooms. But still ok for just under 10,000 Yen including (Plat/Tit/Amb-) breakfast.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by shonanroger

True that. In April I was lucky getting one of the refurbished modern rooms. Those are really nice. ... this week it was one of the old rooms again. That was really hard after having experienced one of the refurbished rooms. But still ok for just under 10,000 Yen including (Plat/Tit/Amb-) breakfast.

What floor are the refurnished/renovated rooms on ?

Japanese hotels have a very bad habit of only renovating single floors instead of the whole hotel. Penny pinching at its worst. Don't know how they get away with it when following franchise brand rules.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
What floor are the refurnished/renovated rooms on ?

Japanese hotels have a very bad habit of only renovating single floors instead of the whole hotel. Penny pinching at its worst. Don't know how they get away with it when following franchise brand rules.
As far as I remember the refurbished room was on the 11th floor.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
As others have already said club lounge on 18th floor is quite small and somewhat depressing.
9 tables total.
Same size almost as a suite room or some people's living rooms.
There's not much space to lay out a decent selection of warm food even if they wanted to. Also ZERO devices to keep food warm or cold, so all food (ie tiny snacks) are served at room temperature. There is no way you will get anywhere near full from the very limited bare bones selection of food served on evenings even if you help yourself to multiple servings. Getting drunk on the other hand is easy with all the alcohol on offer.

From what i could gather they give all plats and titaniums 1000 points AND free breakfast in the 2nd floor restaurant as a welcome gift, cause the lounge only opens at 11am. The lounge is just too small and basic for even a simple breakfast offering, and like i mentioned above zero devices to keep food warm or cold, so all served at room temperature. They don't make you chose between the 2 welcome options (1000 points or free breakfast) like other Sheratons.

Im sure they have more than enough space elsewhere in the hotel where they could make a much bigger lounge.
The hotel building itself is absolutely enormous.
I think this is a case of them having the bare minimum of something called a "lounge" to satisfy the franchise/brand rules, but doing it the cheapest way possible. Hence why prices at this hotel are low for a reason. Good hotel for cheap nights or mattress runs, but very subpar if you like modern rooms and a decent lounge.
Your analysis of the Sheraton Miyako is spot on and while our stay there last month met expectations (besides the lounge) we were slightly disappointed to notice the differences in services between Japanese guests and foreigners all the way down to the amenities.

Japanese guests received Shiseido Products while the foreigners received the standard Starwood and something else in terms of toiletries but we were very impressed with the service.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Japanese guests received Shiseido Products while the foreigners received the standard Starwood and something else in terms of toiletries but we were very impressed with the service.
That's not right. Foreign guests would love Shiseido as well. I know I would like the choice at least.
Intl359Widget likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.