Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Miyako, Osaka, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2014, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS

Pool, Sauna, and Health Club Admittance Policy
  • The health club is closed on the first Thursday of every month.
  • Due to health club regulations and safety reasons, children under 12 years old are not allowed to enter the pool, even if accompanied by an adult.
  • An entrance fee applies for use of the pool, sauna, and health club.
  • Guests who have a tattoo may not be permitted to use the hotel’s pools or other facilities where the tattoo might be visible to other guests.
Club Lounge
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Miyako, Osaka, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:13 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by nanirina
I think at that rate, I might as wlel just pay the 18k jpy corp rate and stay at ritz carlton?
I'd recommend that. IMO, the Sheraton is a good deal on a JPY8000 BRG for a single night or standard C&P on a busy night with high rates, especially for Platinums. But Osaka has some great and very reasonable hotels (the SR is my favorite, but the IC and RC are quite good, too), and if I can get a 17k rate at SR I don't think twice.

Regarding the premium room C&P, keep in mind that this hotel does not quote rates inclusive of the consumption tax and service charge (this is confusing in Japan, as some hotels quote inclusive rates, others don't), so you have to add another 18% to the $65 cash portion. So you basically have a nightly rate of JPY10k plus another JPY12k worth of points. If you have the money to pay for the RC, it's the better option.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:57 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, LH SEN
I stayed there a couple of days (incl. a busy weekend) beginning of Dec. They really tried hard (and succeeded) to give me plat. upgrades to rennovated rooms for the whole stay (I had consecutive single night bookings, to be flexible). Very friendly front desk that also gave me good train directions.

Since getting my lifetime plat. status in Sept. this was the first SPG hotel (and the lowest category one) that congratulated me with a little selection of local sweets. Nice gesture.

Breakfast buffet now has an omelette station and a small 'halal food' section (was both new for me).

In the lounge (tiny as always) they had some Christmassy Stollen and Canelé.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: UNITED 1P
Originally Posted by jpdx
I'd recommend that. IMO, the Sheraton is a good deal on a JPY8000 BRG for a single night or standard C&P on a busy night with high rates, especially for Platinums. But Osaka has some great and very reasonable hotels (the SR is my favorite, but the IC and RC are quite good, too), and if I can get a 17k rate at SR I don't think twice.

Regarding the premium room C&P, keep in mind that this hotel does not quote rates inclusive of the consumption tax and service charge (this is confusing in Japan, as some hotels quote inclusive rates, others don't), so you have to add another 18% to the $65 cash portion. So you basically have a nightly rate of JPY10k plus another JPY12k worth of points. If you have the money to pay for the RC, it's the better option.
Thx! booked the RC instead!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by luna6
By the way, there's a good Korean restaurant around the corner. Head out the entrance take a left and a left at intersection. Walk past the mall with Subway/Mcdonalds and there's a Korean restaurant at the next black building on your left. The food made the stay more tolerable.
There's actually a ton of Korean places in the area. Many "zainichi koreans" there. Also usually lots of anti-Korean protests held in the area.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by jpdx
Regarding the premium room C&P, keep in mind that this hotel does not quote rates inclusive of the consumption tax and service charge (this is confusing in Japan, as some hotels quote inclusive rates, others don't), so you have to add another 18% to the $65 cash portion. So you basically have a nightly rate of JPY10k plus another JPY12k worth of points.
So standard rooms are quoted inclusive but premium rooms are not?
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:50 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by lcpteck
So standard rooms are quoted inclusive but premium rooms are not?
Afaik, all C&P reservations (regardless of room type) at Sheraton Osaka are quoted as follows:

Room rate: 2,000 Starpoints + USD35.00
Room rate excludes the following:
Consumption Tax: USD2.80 (8.00 % Per Room / Per Night)
Service Charge: USD3.50 (10.00 % Per Room / Per Night)

Paid rates at Sheraton Osaka are quoted as follow:

Room rate: JPY13,600.00
Room rate includes the following:
Consumption Tax: 8.00 % Per Room / Per Night
Service Charge: 10.00 % Per Room / Per Night

What I tried to point out is that in Japan, you have to look closely how rates are quoted -- this is true for paid rates as well as C&P -- as some hotels quote all-in prices, while others quote ++ prices.

Here's C&P at Westin Kyoto:

Room rate: 5,000 Starpoints + USD 75.00
Room rate excludes the following:
Tax: USD 6.00 (8.00 % Per Room / Per Night)

And Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay:

Room rate: 6,000 Starpoints + USD 110.00
Consumption Tax: 8.80 % Per Room / Per Night

Add to that that some hotels quote inclusive prices for paid rates, but ++ prices for C&P, and you're looking at a very confusing picture!
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
I had an overnight in Osaka last week and had an option of the other SPG properties (Westin Osaka and the St. Regis). I ended up staying at the Sheraton Miyako had the option of staying here on C+P, Points (3k), or a paid rate of ¥10,200.

I chose 3K points.

I was upgraded to a Junior Suite on the 17th floor. There were two beds that were plush and comfortable. The bathroom featured a sink, bathtub, and toilet with Toto feature. I found the sink to be a bit lower than normal.

The junior suite also featured a desk, sofa + leg rest, and air purifier.

A couple issues I had with the suite included that the "air conditioning" was centrally controlled so when used it was blowing out heat and that the room had a lack of plugs. There was no extra outlet near the desk and I had to request a power strip. Each room features complimentary wifi and unlike most hotels that have a central system the wifi password for each room is unique and is located on placard on the desk.

At check-in I was offered a meal coupon for breakfast (0630-1000), a 10% coupon for some of the restaurants at the hotel, and a pass for the health club.

I arrived into KIX and took the limousine bus which stops right at the hotel. The bus ride took about 50 minutes. For departure I was flying out of ITM and the bus departs from the hotel too and took about 30 minutes. The hotel is conveniently located right above Uehonmachi station which makes getting around convenient.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 6:46 am

Currently here. Just wanted to try it out as I'm familiar with (and fond of) other Osaka properties.
Got upgraded, but I won't be coming back. The girl at front desk handed me a form asking to fill out my name and address, passport details, etc. I asked if she can just copy it from her system as she has everything on file there. She nodded and offered me a twin room (I booked double bed) - this is when I politely noticed I made a booking for a double bed room and seeing where this was going hinted on any upgrade possibilities/status. She excused herself and went in the back. Came back and offered upgrade and also late check out (I don't need it), but I had to mention status amenity separately.
In the end she gave me my key WITHOUT asking for my cc and id. I basically came up to the front desk, said "You have a booking for one night for Mr. MichaelJapan" and that was it.

As for the hotel itself - it is being refurbished in phases, but it still looks like something straight out of the 80's. The bed is comfy, but there are cracks in sink already even though it is new...

Two subway stops away from Namba/Dotonbori and a supermarket in the basement open until 10 pm with numerous 24 hr convenience stores around. Plenty of restaurants around, but only a couple offer English menu.
If arriving by subway, use exit 13 for the hotel. Front desk is on the 2nd floor but there is nothing indicating this when you enter the hotel on the street level.

They seem uninterested in attending to your suitcases unless you ask or a part of Chineses or Korean bus tour (plenty of them here).
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Bump for recent reviews? Do they upgrade plats to renovated suites?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by miloworld
Bump for recent reviews? Do they upgrade plats to renovated suites?
This hotel is usually busy since it's popular for tour groups, getting a Suite upgrade is very unlikely (though not impossible) since I heard there are only a few suites available.

I usually stay here if I'm in Osaka since it's great for points redemption.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:08 am

This hotel is usually busy since it's popular for tour groups, getting a Suite upgrade is very unlikely (though not impossible) since I heard there are only a few suites available.

Yep, best deal in town. Did you get renovated rooms at least?
I'm having a hard time finding pictures of renovated bathrooms, do they exist?

Last edited by miloworld; Jul 13, 2015 at 5:18 am
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by miloworld
Yep, best deal in town. Did you get renovated rooms at least?
I'm having a hard time finding pictures of renovated bathrooms, do they exist?
I have stayed in both a non-renovated and a renovated room before. You can look at the pictures in my Flickr album in the signature. The renovated rooms are in a different category called Comfort Rooms.

The main difference I noticed between a renovated an non-renovated room is the wallpaper, furniture, and carpeting. Frankly speaking the base room looks fine actually.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium

We are currently in Japan, and were upgraded to the executive suite room during our stay early this month (using suite night awards).

All hotels throughout Japan have been really high in occupancy during our stay so far. We have noticed that mostly are families and couples staying here, at the St Regis Osaka, and Sheraton Hiroshima...not many tour groups, just 90% of the tourists are from mainland China throughout the country.

The points redemption here is a great bargain as mentioned, however, the room you get when booked on points is a queen bed room. I booked using a combination of points and also paid nights in the superior room...then was upgraded to the executive suite using SNA's

Four years ago when we were last in Tokyo, the hotel upgraded us from superior room to suite without using SNA's

I have noticed the quality of the breakfast buffet has changed since, now it's more continental breakfast type with additional cold cut dishes, etc not as big and variety menu with many Asian dishes as we are used to having at many Asian country SPG hotels.

Hotel concierge team is excellent for reservations to many difficult Michelin ranked restaurants, great communication overseas via email, during our stay, and throughout while we are in the other cities.

Front desk staff we encountered, mostly older men - were not very welcoming and helpful, no platinum recognition etc. had we not been here before we would know of the benefits as they just checked us in and gave us the room key.

Please feel free to pm any additional questions, I will try to help based on my experiences here throughout the country and other SPG hotels

We will be back to the Sheraton Tokyo in 3 days and update this thread if anything helpful comes up

Cheers,
V
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by vg247
Four years ago when we were last in Tokyo, the hotel upgraded us from superior room to suite without using SNA's
Thanks for the helpful feedback. Although it's the same Miyako chain, can I just make sure we're talking about the same hotel in Osaka?

It's annoying my dates require more points to redeem a standard King room vs the base standard Queen room. With only 1 sqm difference, it can't be that much different right?

It seems borderline gaming the inventory in a way to earn more pts.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:22 am

I have stayed in both a non-renovated and a renovated room before. You can look at the pictures in my Flickr album in the signature.
Wow, thanks for the album pictures. It's the first time seeing the entire renovated rooms, could never find them on TA etc.

Did you book those renovate rooms? or upgraded as a Plat.
I've hear Plats receiving the 2x sized suite, with a long sofa but not renovated.

I'm staying during the busy Summer vacation season,
hopefully I'll manage to get at least a renovated room.

EDIT: Looking at the photos, the older rooms don't seem TOO bad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.