Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Miyako, Osaka, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2014, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS

Pool, Sauna, and Health Club Admittance Policy
  • The health club is closed on the first Thursday of every month.
  • Due to health club regulations and safety reasons, children under 12 years old are not allowed to enter the pool, even if accompanied by an adult.
  • An entrance fee applies for use of the pool, sauna, and health club.
  • Guests who have a tattoo may not be permitted to use the hotel’s pools or other facilities where the tattoo might be visible to other guests.
Club Lounge
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Miyako, Osaka, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
IMO, this is a "salariman" hotel. It's not intended to be a 5 star hotel. This was the rep of the Miyako chain even before joining SPG.

Given it's purpose, it's fine.

If you wanted higher end, you should choose the Westin.
Old May 12, 2010, 11:55 am

Programs: DL Plat, DL SkyClub, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, National Emerald Exec
Just returned home from Sheraton Miyako properties

Just got home from stays in both Sheraton Miyako properties: four days in Osaka, three days in Tokyo (the latter of which I’ve commented on in the Sheraton Miyako Tokyo thread).

The room
As an SPG Gold, was told my room was an upgrade—wouldn’t call it a suite, but would put it on a par with a standard King room at the Westin Times Square (for those who have been there). Internet was free—wired, with ethernet cord provided. Only thing missing was body lotion, which seemed odd. When I asked for some, was sent a lovely sample packet of facial products. Ended up buying a bottle of lotion in the lobby shop instead.

The room was quiet, with the exception of the LOUD family who moved into the room above me the last two days—little kids continually jumping and running, from what it sounded like. Since it was Golden Week, early May, there were lots of families on the property, which is a bit unusual. Figured that was just part of the trade off when choosing to visit during one of the two biggest vacation weeks on the Japanese calendar.

Metro access
The hotel has easy access to metro stops, approximately 5-minute walk in either direction. To the east is the Tsuruhashi station; to the west, the Tanimachi-9 chome station, which I used far more, since it seemed to connect more easily to lines I needed (not to mention it’s a nicer walk back to the hotel).

The best metro map, by the way, can be found in the Information offices at the major metro and train stations. Ask for the Osaka City Map put out by the City of Osaka and the Osaka Convention and Tourism Bureau. Great blow up images of the areas tourists are most likely to visit, plus the easiest metro map to follow if you’re “of a certain age” and don’t want to fish out reading glasses every five minutes.

Getting to/from the hotel
Getting to the hotel from ITM was easy via the Airport Limousine Bus, once someone helped me figure out the ticket kiosk at the curb in front of the terminal. No reservations necessary or accepted—just head to the curb, then use one of the ticket machines to purchase a ticket to the Osaka-Uehommachi station (which shares the same building as the hotel). The price is 620 JPY one way; the pickup point is at position #10 if you’re coming off an ANA flight...at position #0 if from a JAL flight.

The bus ride is approximatey 30 minutes; you’ll be dropped off at the station in what feels like a big parking ramp, on an upper level. From the bus drop, head west through the ramp (the opposite direction the bus pulled in from), following the rest of the crowd who’s probably headed to a train. You’ll come to the Sheraton Miyako entrance, level two, before reaching the entrance to the train station and adjacent shops.

If you get nervous, just ask for help. The Japanese are wonderful about lending aid to anxious travelers.

Getting back to either ITM or KIX is equally easy. Same bus stop for pickup; there’s a ticket machine there too (very easy to figure out since the only destinations are airports).

Check in/check out
I was told no credit card was necessary at check in since they had it on file from when the time of booking but WAS told to please bring it to the desk at time of check out, since they’d need the physical card to run the actual charge then. No hassles, no hang ups. Very smooth check in and check out.

Overall thoughts
I didn’t expect five stars, nor a Westin-like setting, but was very pleased with what I got. Definitely better than most Sheratons I’ve stayed in stateside, and absolutely loaded with terrific customer service and warm welcomes.

Only question: What’s the deal with people thinking I was nuts for ordering vodka tonic at the bars in Japan? Both Osaka and Tokyo provided hotel lounge bartenders who looked at me like I’d lost my mind, even after walking them through how to mix one.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 2:12 pm

I'm planning to stay at this hotel for two nights at the beginning of September. Could anyone comment on the difference between the non-renovated room and the premier room? I'm looking for comparison of the bed, bathtub, and noise level. Thanks!

Last edited by Loc13; Jul 11, 2010 at 2:30 pm
Old Jul 11, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Your best bet is to look at the pics on Tripadvisor reviews.

From what I can see, there's quite a difference in decor and beds.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:03 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Having just come from another new SPG property in Osaka was alittle concerned I was making a serious mistake staying here. Upon arriving my room had been upgraded to a superior king. I asked for a upgrade and the agent was happy to confirm me into a smoking junior suite. That was a mistake to accept. It really smelled. As I waited on the 17th floor for my new room was really thinking I had made big mistake. The bellman from Nepal came back with room keys for something on the 18th floor. I scored with a non-smoking at least junior suite renovated. Very nice. Sorry. No as plush but more comfortable than the prop I just left.

I could have paid for a room but the 8500 yen rate was smoking. Using cash and points I was able to confirm non-smoke for two persons even only being a party of one. Those were good moves and kept me in a non-smoke as that was booked. I think that is how I was able to get this without much asking.

Took points as the amenity, two breakfast vouchers, two gym vouchers and Lounge pass. The Lounge is on 18. A small affair with soft drinks starting at 5 with very very small snacks. At 5:30 PM the liqour comes out. Looks like free of charge. They bring out a couple other small snacks at that time. Internet wired and comp..

Glad I made the move also in that it puts me in the right spot to catch the airport limousine bus. The room on 17 was dated. Assume non renovated.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Impressed.

This morning I had a note under my door the IHT was on the outside doorknob. Took buffet breakfast on two using voucher. Mix of Western, Chinese and Japanese. Not much flavor. Very industrial.

I would stay at this Hotel again without hesitation. If you had to stop over in KIX this would be ideal for a one nighter.

Not sure about the progress of renovation but this room / junior suite is certainly comfortable. As a reminder levels b1 and b2 of the Kintetsu department store next door offer a wide selection of foods which can be brought back to the Hotel. In the later afternoon sushi items go on sale in the grocery section. Kinetesu is easily accessed by taking the lift to level 2 or b1 of the Miyako. Regards from Osaka.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:11 am

Programs: NH-PLT/SFC, JL-JMG/JGP, SPG-PLT, HH-DIA, GP-DIA,PC/IC-P/RA,MR-GLD
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Took buffet breakfast on two using voucher. Mix of Western, Chinese and Japanese. Not much flavor. Very industrial.
You may have the Japanese breakfast at the Japanese restaurant 'Uemachi' with the voucher plus 590 yen.

Try on the next stay.

http://www.miyakohotels.ne.jp/osaka/...breakfast.html
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:28 am

Thank you. Did not know that but now I do.

Welcome back to Japan.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 5:36 am

E-mail address contact for Hotel.

Anyone have a contact at this Hotel? E-mail address please. Arigato.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 3:20 am

REVOKE recommendation from October 2010.

I just had a extensive e-mail and verbal conversation with this property. Mainly in English and partly in Japanese. The property has some very bad practices when it comes to room/suite category classifications and extending of all Platinum benefits when it comes to room/standard suite upgrades. Until this changes it is necessary for me to REVOKE any recommendation I made in the past in regards to room upgrades with any type of status. I will keep you updated. I am not done with this. Thank you.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:57 am

Stayed here last September (2010). Booked two nights with C+P so got a great deal.

Gold, was upgraded to a renovated room on the 15th floor. Good size, not huge, not small. Took a limo bus from KIX which was about 1500 YEN and took less than an hour.

Would definitely stay here again.

If you want decent food at decent prices, don't eat in the hotel. Goto the department store right next to the hotel.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 6:30 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
I stayed here for 1 night last week. I arrived on the Sunday and was upgraded (after requesting) to a non smoking Junior Suite on the club lounge floor (18th ?). As it was Sunday, only non alcoholic drinks were available

Wifi was available from lounge, but not in the room (wired only). Received a breakfast coupon and gym access (which otherwise is quite expensive).

Great Japanese restaurant in basement that I reccomend you try - they treated us very well.

CC
Old Jul 5, 2011, 7:04 am

My reasons. Bad treatment of Plat members.

As noted in my earlier post I was given a nice room. One that I would describe was at most a junior suite. There was no separation between the bedroom and living area hence not a suite. It was in fact more like a large room given its' configuration. The HOTEL in fact has this category as a "suite". This hotel has a label problem when it comes to room category. And after speaking to the front desk they told me three times- "they do not prepare suite rooms for Platinum upgrades". This is wrong. So they not only mis-label rooms therefore making them out of reach based upon whatever logic they wish to apply but also makes rooms that may be in the "standard" suite category for Plat upgrades hence again out of reach.

If you want a stay at a decent / ok hotel in Osaka with great connections to subway system with good price of course this is it. If you are a Plat in hopes of a deserved upgrade and acceptable Lounge this is probably not it. As with my case on occassion you may get a decent upgrade but this is not the norm. In fact the room I got it now out of my reach when it comes to upgrades as I was told by the front desk and reservations department as its category is suite and not available for Plat upgrade. Hence as a Platinum must revoke my earlier glowing recommendation of this property.

The Hilton Osaka comes to mind for people with status.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
As noted in my earlier post I was given a nice room. One that I would describe was at most a junior suite. There was no separation between the bedroom and living area hence not a suite. It was in fact more like a large room given its' configuration. The HOTEL in fact has this category as a "suite". This hotel has a label problem when it comes to room category. And after speaking to the front desk they told me three times- "they do not prepare suite rooms for Platinum upgrades". This is wrong. So they not only mis-label rooms therefore making them out of reach based upon whatever logic they wish to apply but also makes rooms that may be in the "standard" suite category for Plat upgrades hence again out of reach.

If you want a stay at a decent / ok hotel in Osaka with great connections to subway system with good price of course this is it. If you are a Plat in hopes of a deserved upgrade and acceptable Lounge this is probably not it. As with
my case on occassion you may get a decent upgrade but this is not the norm. In fact the room I got it now out of my reach when it comes to upgrades as I was told by the front desk and reservations department as its category is suite
and not available for Plat upgrade. Hence as a Platinum must revoke my earlier glowing recommendation of this property.

The Hilton Osaka comes to mind for people with status.

Thanks! I'm glad I didn't stay here this past week. The treatment I got at the Hyatt Kyoto blew me away. I'll write my review on the Hyatt Kyoto thread.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 8:28 pm

Glad to hear that all promised by the Hyatt Kyoto was indeed provided!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.