Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Old Oct 31, 10, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
What an awful experience. But I'm not sure I understand...you WERE planning on staying there again after the concerts that night, right? But there were NO personal effects of yours in the room? No nightwear, no slippers, no toothbrush, no change of clothes for the next day, not even one pair of clean underwear?
I travel for work every week, so coming home and packing again to stay at a hotel two miles from my house wasn't something I wanted to do since I have to unpack and repack each weekend for work. I told my wife I'd rather return home each day and rather than pack. So we only brought a single bag with us and returned home each day. So no, there was nothing in the room.

This may sound strange, but in my line of work I and the people I work with will often leave a hotel room with all our luggage on a Thursday even though we're booked through Friday. If we complete the work we need to complete that week, we'll head to the airport and return a day early. If not, we'll return to the hotel. I've never heard of anyone returning to the hotel with someone else checked into their room. I've always thought if you've paid for the room it is yours whether you use it or not.
Old Nov 1, 10, 8:57 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I agree with you. Even if you did not intend on staying there, but then changed your mind, you had paid for the extra night and it should still have been your room. My post was just wondering if you DID have something left in the room that housekeeping might not have seen. But since not, I'd still like to know if this is indeed a law as was stated.
Old Nov 1, 10, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
This is probably the worst thing I have read on the SPG forum yet. This is totally ridiculous on the part of the hotel. Having stayed there 3 nights this past year, this post totally ensures I will never stay there again. I don't care if the manager is a good listener, she needs to resolve this fully. I mean, would it really hurt the hotel to credit you 50,000+ Starpoints or something else? This could have been an even more horrendous situation for your wife. Imagine if she walked in on a crime being committed (not completely implausible)? Being quite the world traveler, and an American, it seems that most customer service in America seems to be 1) first blame the customer and then; 2) show indifference and nod; 3) if you're lucky rectify it.

As for the "law" I think the hotel is completely full of BS. As many business travelers know, sometimes you check in and then immediately head out or you depart early. If you paid for it, it's yours. Totally absurd.
Old Nov 1, 10, 1:12 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I don't think the GM will do anything more than apologize and give a token amount of points. Yes, she is lovely and a good listener, but she also doesn't appear to care what complaints there are about her two hotels.
Old Nov 1, 10, 3:45 pm

Programs: SPG, Wyndham, AA
I'm curious if your stay was set up by SPG as two separate reservations, one for each night. I've experienced this before. For some reason they can combine different reward stays.

If that was the case, then I can see how this mistake was made and I'd be more keen to blame them and not the hotel.

Did you confirm your check out date upon arrival?

On the other hand, since they said they were sold out (more than likely oversold) I can also see them being desperate for rooms and not thinking what the consequences could be by switching an occupied room to vacant assuming whoever was there decided to leave a day early, or only thought the res. was for one night.

Scenario C, housekeeping came to clean the room and reported it vacant, therefore putting the room back in the system to sell.

It could of been the hotel, it could of been reservations. Either way, Starwoodhotels as a whole is to blame. Getting my points back, and another 5 free nights worth of points at the same Cat. property would smooth it over for me.
Old Nov 1, 10, 3:49 pm

Programs: SPG, Wyndham, AA
Originally Posted by ldsant View Post
I don't think the GM will do anything more than apologize and give a token amount of points. Yes, she is lovely and a good listener, but she also doesn't appear to care what complaints there are about her two hotels.
BTW, I've talked to Heather face to face and she's very concerned about having people leave happy IMO.

Call her direct
Old Nov 29, 10, 9:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
I just completed a 4 night stay at the W Lakeshore... and overall it was pretty decent.

Booked under the Bank of America rate which not only gives great rates at about $169 a night but also includes $25 credit per person for Breakfast! So already me and my friend had $200 credit to spend in the restaurant (and this includes tip) along with two drinks for the bar in the Living Room. PM me for the SET code.

I was upgraded to a Suite overlooking the lake... the view is spectacular.
I arrived in the middle of the night and had to argue a little for my extra breakfast coupons. I was only given 1 for each day despite two of us staying in the room. The problem was sorted pretty quickly.

I was concerned after reading the reports that this was a glorified Days Inn... it really wasn't. Sure, the building isn't gonna be part of the Chicago architecture tour anytime soon, but the interior is decent. There's a good gym and pool area. The business center is a rip off charging $5.95 for 15 minutes and about $1.00 per piece of paper printed. The girls in the marketing dept next door can help you get around this if you as nicely though!

Breakfast was decent each morning with a buffet laid out when the hotel is busy. On one occasion there was an attempt to rip us off by charging $6.95 for an orange juice! For some bizarre reason, Orange juice is not included in the overall breakfast buffet but coffee is - go figure! The server wasn't too pleasant about the whole thing.

One particular irksome charge was the parking charge - $54 a day! This is ridiculous. I've paid less in New York City for the night... and when Beverley Hills parking garages charge a $1.00 for two hours... I cannot believe the nerve of the hotel for charging this.

But again, the room could not be faulted. The suite was a decent size - the bathroom excellent and the bed extremely comfortable. The location is perfect both for the Navy Pier and also for the Magnificent Mile.

I think to sum up.... don't be too concerned by some of the more negative reviews on here!
Old Feb 14, 11, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket View Post
One particular irksome charge was the parking charge - $54 a day! This is ridiculous.
I have an upcoming stay at this hotel. I got what I consider a great BRG rate of $121 per night, especially factoring in the 3605 points I will earn for the night.

The $54 parking is alarming. I don't mind parking the car somewhere and taking a train - does anyone have any suggestions for doing this? Also, I'm staying Sunday night - is there street/meter parking that doesn't take effect until Monday am?
Old Feb 14, 11, 9:04 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Plenty of parking garages that are a lot cheaper very close to the hotels. (from 20 bucks a day)

http://chicago.bestparking.com/

Last edited by tommy777; Feb 14, 11 at 9:11 pm
Old Feb 14, 11, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Originally Posted by tommy777 View Post
Plenty of parking garages that are a lot cheaper very close to the hotels.
Any idea about meters?

I'd love to leave it on the street overnight and then park it in a garage somewhere for the day. I'm visiting Northwestern Law and then down to U Chicago, I picked the W since it's practically on Northwestern's campus.
Old Feb 22, 11, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by tommy777 View Post
Plenty of parking garages that are a lot cheaper very close to the hotels. (from 20 bucks a day)

http://chicago.bestparking.com/
Recent stay here.

Adjacent to the W (which charges $54 for parking) is a parking garage that charged me $12. The next day, I paid $6 in the morning and $.50 in the afternoon for street parking.

Great location. Surprisingly friendly staff (compared with low expectation).

I took advantage of the Acura drop-off service to grab a bite at Ben Pao.

I asked for a coffeemaker to be brought up to the room, and one was brought up no-whining no-charge. There was no coffee on the tray (only tea and sugar/creamer), so I called back, and coffee showed up at my door within minutes.
Old May 19, 11, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - Platinum Medallion, SPG Plat, Hertz 5*
General upgrade question... I have two rooms booked here in early August. Are both rooms eligible for upgrades? If not, would booking two rooms disqualify me for having one of the rooms upgrades?

TIA.
Old May 19, 11, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket View Post
One particular irksome charge was the parking charge - $54 a day!
Holy sh*t. Really?

The W Viequez resort charge thinks this parking charge is a rip off.

Wow.
Old May 31, 11, 10:55 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
My wife and I just stayed at the W Lakeshore over Memorial Day weekend. We used 33,000 points for 3 nights in spectacular room.

Horrible experience.

The room (a "spectacular" king on the 32nd floor) was more run down than some budget hotels I've been in.

Comforter had stains, sofa/chair thing had totally ripped cloth.
Carpet was peeling up in some corners and at seams.

Worst shower I've ever had in a hotel. Why they would think a doorless shower was a good idea in a tiny bathroom is beyond me? Water floods the entire bathroom during a normal shower. The rainhead shower was no more than 68 inches off the floor, so me being 6 foot 3 inches tall, it didnt work out too well, plus the showerhead only extends maybe 12 inches from the wall, so if you try to get close enough to use it, you get prodded by the shower handle...

Sink wouldnt drain at all, didnt realize this until the sink is full of shaving cream and toothpaste, very pleasant to look at.

Apparently our non-smoking room is surrounded by legitimate smoking rooms because its all we could smell (well that and that toxic fragrance they pump everywhere). My wife's sinuses were going crazy. I know, what else should I expect from a "W", it seemed like it was full of just teenagers and treating the lobby as a nightclub...

We ended up checking out and leaving a day early because how disgusted we were. SPG tried to move us to the Westin but they were sold out.

I sent a message to customer service requesting a refund of my last nights points since we didnt stay, I mentioned everything as above as well and asked for 50% of my stay's points back as well. They said they will forward my comments to the GM. I'm not expecting anything back.

cp
Old Aug 14, 11, 3:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
I reluctantly booked this hotel for one night this past Saturday having read all the negative reviews. But the location is where we needed to be and its was only one night. Booked a Spectacular room for 11k points, no upgrade, but hotel was full and no suites were available online even a week or two before. I did see the "wear and tear" that many have talked about. Our sliding door for our bathroom was not attached and had a broken hook at the top. Maintenance came up right away and was able to fix it quick. While chatting with maintenance he said that renovations are going to begin in November for the entire hotel. 5 floors at a time will be renovated. He was griping about a lot of things in the hotel rooms falling apart. I did not get the completion time frame but he said no more sliding bathroom doors and "shutters" that open from the bathroom to room.

We did go up to the Whiskey Sky bar at the top of the hotel. Very small and not that exciting at all.

I will give this hotel another try next year after the renovations.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: