Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Old Sep 17, 09, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
CE,

I had stayed at this property previously and fortunately did not have any issues with the staff. However, I have stayed at a few Starwood properties where one of two of the staff just flat out gave me attitude (yet nice to everyone else). The truth is, there are d-bags everywhere and it often doesn't have much to do with the property. The best solution I've found is to make a scene with the person directly, speak loud, and firm, so everyone can see you, and then ask for the manager and the person to apologize right there and then. Swallow it, leave, and complain later will never resolve the problem.
Old Sep 17, 09, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by BlissWorld View Post
CE,

I had stayed at this property previously and fortunately did not have any issues with the staff. However, I have stayed at a few Starwood properties where one of two of the staff just flat out gave me attitude (yet nice to everyone else). The truth is, there are d-bags everywhere and it often doesn't have much to do with the property. The best solution I've found is to make a scene with the person directly, speak loud, and firm, so everyone can see you, and then ask for the manager and the person to apologize right there and then. Swallow it, leave, and complain later will never resolve the problem.
Very true. I don't make scenes, If I make a "scene" I'm going to jail. I'm not a person one should get riled up or I'll hurt your feelings and make you regret speaking to me. Seriously.

I had issues on several levels. I dealt with three managers while on site. I've just realized that part of my review has been deleted or omitted. I'll have to add that later.

It is what it is, and this isn't a property for me. It's not like this is the only property in Chicago.

I hope others have MUCH better "experience" than I. My advice is to INSPECT THE ROOM carefully!
Old Oct 28, 09, 10:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Just back from a Wonderful one night stay

We decided to keep our one-night reservation at the W Lakeshore despite Cheap Elite's very detailed review. I'm so glad we did.

First let me say we have no status with Starwood any longer - my husband was Gold when he was working, but since retirement we don't stay in any one place enough to get perks - we stay where we want, where it's convenient for a particular trip. The W Lakeshore seemed it would be perfect for this stay, and it was.

The only request I made prior to arrival was a quiet room (since we're older, we pictured the W with it's lower and upper nightclubs just a boombox of noise and activity - we couldn't have been more wrong). Anyway, to our surprise, we DID get an upgrade to lakeview - how nice was that? Welcome to Chicago!

I inspected our room carefully based on Cheap Elite's complaints and pictures, and I have to honestly say we had no dirt, spiders, stains, etc. The furniture is black painted wood, so we had a couple of nicks that showed the white below, but these were miniscule. There WERE splatted bug stains on the outside of the windows, but you are facing a lake, and they're just happily flying along and...oops. I think if you get there the day after they clean the windows they wouldn't be there but the second day through whatever the length of time is between window washings they would be. Our windows were clean on the inside. And our blinds worked - they are a bit awkward, you just have to very gently raise and lower them.

We also had wonderful service from EVERYONE we encountered. Part of my apprehension is that we are older and unhip, and just wouldn't fit in at a W. Again, we could not have been more wrong.

Sweet young girl with a dark pony tail at check-in, very beautiful cocktail waitress in lobby, couldn't have been nicer, let me taste a wine I had never heard of before ordering a glass (which I subsequently didn't like, thank you). The hostess and waiter at breakfast (delicious, interesting choices, too), the Acura coordinator and driver, all were extremely friendly and efficient (see my other Acura post). Nice guy who stored and retrieved our luggage - not one person was surly or haughty or unfriendly or less than professional in any way.

Now, there was one problem. But since I'm not 100%, only 99.9% sure, I didn't say anything at the time. I *think* my sunglasses were taken from my rental car while it was valeted. I believe this because I have had the same habit for these sunglasses forever. They are my driving sunglasses (the type that fit over your glasses, and are on a cord around my neck, so I can take them on and off easily while I'm driving) - and I ALWAYS keep them on the console of the car. I have another pair in my purse which are my clip-on, walking around town sunglasses. Anyway, since I ALWAYS follow the same procedure, I hate to say it but I believe they were taken. We looked on the floor, under the seats, between the seats, in the glove compartment, in the tapes compartment, etc. We then thought, well maybe we brought them to the room and put them into a carry-on, so we just drove away thinking we'd find them at the next stop. We didn't. They were not expensive, but I loved the way they fit. Just letting everyone know so you'll know not to leave ANYTHING in your vehicle. It was my own fault for leaving them there. Edited to add that I also called Security when we got to our next destination, thinking that maybe I had left them in the room. Nothing had been turned in from our room.

I don't want to end this review on that negative note, so I'll just say again that the weird, creepy, dirty hotel I was expecting could not have been more different. I loved the "living room" lobby - at any time of the day or night there were people sitting around talking, working - some hotel lobbies are so underutilized - your party sits while one checks in, then the lobby is vacated. It was nice to have such a social atmosphere in there. And we also went up and looked at the top floor nightclub when we got back from dinner - great city lights view, people sitting around talking, if we hadn't been all wined out from dinner we might have gone in for a nightcap.

This good experience has given me the incentive to want to actively seek out a stay in another W - it was really invigorating and fun.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Oct 28, 09 at 3:51 pm
Old Oct 28, 09, 11:45 am
Suspended

Just booked my third or is it fourth stay at this property for the weekend of 12/4-7.
So far I have always gotten upgraded and good service from the staff here plus the $119 AAA rate just cant be beat.

mike
Old Oct 28, 09, 5:55 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
I just love the passion over this hotel. I hope all the rooms will be in good shape by my stay.

I have a trip to Chicago in March booked to W City Center, but I have to stay at least one night here to check it out...
Old Oct 28, 09, 6:24 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, MVP Gold 75K, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dre_techie View Post
I have to stay at least one night here to check it out...
Me, too. I just booked for November. I guess there really is no such thing as bad publicity.
Old Nov 15, 09, 12:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I stayed at the W Lakeshore for the 2nd time in 2 years and for the 2nd time I was upgraded to a lake view deluxe room (not a suite). I've enjoyed the hotel both times I've stayed there but this time I noticed something that I absolutely hated.. the retro alarm clock radio. I do not remember if this clock was there the first time...it probably was and I'm just forgetting. The alarm clock admittedly has a pretty cool retro look...but the problem it is not digital. It has a too-small clock face that is lit up in the dark but it, like all non-digital clocks with hands, can be difficult to see at night. It is also near impossible to see during the day when looking from across the room (ie sitting at the desk).

I understand someone tried to be cutesy with this clock but IMO they failed miserably by sacrificing the digital display. Why is it that virtually everyone has a DIGITAL clock by their bed at home instead of a glow in the dark clock with hands? BECAUSE DIGITAL IS EASIER TO SEE AT NIGHT AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIFT UP YOUR HEAD AND SQUINT TO FIGURE OUT IF IT SAYS 4:30 OR 5:30AM!

Why not a Bose Wave Radio W Lakeshore? Heck I would have been happy with a chintzy Sunbeam as long as it had a radio and a clock I could see. FYI, I have normal vision and do not wear corrective lenses.

I called down to Whatever/Whenever to ask if they could bring me a digital alarm clock but they said they don't have any. Why not? Was I the first ever to request it?

Other than the stupid alarm clock (which of course is a minor issue) I enjoyed the hotel and I'll definitely be back again.
Old Nov 15, 09, 11:11 pm

Programs: Starwood, Hyatt, Hilton
Just stayed at this property for the first time over Halloween for a 2 night stay. Had no complaints with the room, was adequate but a bit on the small side. I think the rooms could use a makeover but that is because I didn't really like the vibe they were going for. I think it was Asian, just seemed very bamboo-ish. My only complaint was the bathroom. It had a sliding door which I found odd and the wall towards the bedroom area, had a window that had slats in it. Was a bit annoying when my friend was up early taking a shower. The sliding doors might be a new design thing though because last weekend I was at the Sheraton Northbrook and that property also had a sliding bathroom door. Other than that the room was fine. Although the hotel in general is not nearly as nice as the W in Hoboken was!
Old Nov 16, 09, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Just avoid this place, there are better options in Chicago.
Old Nov 21, 09, 3:30 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, MVP Gold 75K, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR View Post
the retro alarm clock radio
The clock is a bit tedious, I agree. It wasn't even a convincing retro design. Also, the bar on the 33rd floor was very loud and crowded.

Having said that, I had a nice stay with a lake view room on 27. It wasn't a suite and the room was a bit narrow. But there was nothing during my stay worthy of a real complaint. Like the Sheraton, it's also very close to Navy Pier in case that interests you.
Old Nov 21, 09, 7:08 pm

Stayed at the W Lakeshore a few times in the past year, but would try other Chicago properties instead. The rooms are starting to feel a bit dated.
Old Nov 22, 09, 6:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by whitedoor View Post
Stayed at the W Lakeshore a few times in the past year, but would try other Chicago properties instead. The rooms are starting to feel a bit dated.
Starting?! HA I laugh!
Old Feb 22, 10, 6:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite View Post
Just avoid this place, there are better options in Chicago.
Heard you the first 5 times

Seriously, I haven't stayed at the W Lakeshore myself in a while, but I have a friend that stays there frequently and I visited his suite several times, the last time a couple of weeks ago and I was exactly the way I remembered it.

Not brand new, but not close to being the way you describe it.

Also, great service at the bar and the restaurant as always.

I can think of 3 Starwoods right of the bat that's worse than this property irt rooms, service etc: Westin Michigan Avenue, Westin River North and the Sheraton.
Old Feb 22, 10, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tommy777 View Post
Heard you the first 5 times

Seriously, I haven't stayed at the W Lakeshore myself in a while, but I have a friend that stays there frequently and I visited his suite several times, the last time a couple of weeks ago and I was exactly the way I remembered it.

Not brand new, but not close to being the way you describe it.

Also, great service at the bar and the restaurant as always.

I can think of 3 Starwoods right of the bat that's worse than this property irt rooms, service etc: Westin Michigan Avenue, Westin River North and the Sheraton.
Wild horses, with million dollar bags of starpoints attached to their saddles, couldn't get me to step foot in this dump!

The rooms at both Westins are far superior to the W LS.

Avoid this dump!
Old Feb 22, 10, 6:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite View Post
Wild horses, with million dollar bags of starpoints attached to their saddles, couldn't get me to step foot in this dump!

The rooms at both Westins are far superior to the W LS.

Avoid this dump!
Bollocks.. I had a colleague stay at the Westin Michigan Avenue and the room was crap and not refurbished at all. This was in December. I stayed at the Westin River North last summer for a wedding and it was definitely nothing to brag about. No view and a tiny, old room. The suite at the W Lakeshore I visited recently was fresh and I don't recognize what you're describing at all. You have been unlucky.

And yes, I heard you the first 6 times. I think we should wait for newer reviews.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: