FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/682897-w-chicago-lakeshore-2007-chicago-il-master-thread.html)

alanslegal Jul 23, 2009 1:03 am

Originally Posted by bsdstone (Post 12106683)
internet is pricey

I don't know if anyone has reported this but I went to the Living Room and connected to the internet for free there. I then took my still-on computer up to my room (on the 9th? floor) and it was still connected and was able to use the internet for free for 24hour blocks :) Once the time ran out I just had to go back downstairs and repeat the process.... saves paying for the pricey internet ;)

yvrnycracer Jul 23, 2009 12:22 pm

the rooms were worn down 4 years ago... renovation time?!

Only thing that would make me go back to the hotel was the view... loved the lakeview rooms... but they were run down no doubt...

Lefty Jul 31, 2009 7:40 pm

In light of the $48/day parking fee, are there any other options for parking nearby?

vandalby Aug 1, 2009 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Lefty (Post 12156458)
In light of the $48/day parking fee, are there any other options for parking nearby?

There are several parking garages within a 3 - 4 block radius. Most are affiliated with Northwestern University's medical center which is right in the area. If I recall correctly, there's a self-park that runs along the East side of Faribanks, stretching the block between Ontario and Erie.

You'll probably be able to find overnight rates a bit less expensive than the W.

Additionally, I'd suggest a google maps search, it's usually good for pointing out parking.

KENNECTED Sep 7, 2009 8:28 am

Avoid! Avoid! Stay the hell away!

I'm at this property right now and I can say without a doubt, this has been my worst W stay ever.

The W Lakeshore, is the Four Points Miami Beach of the W Brand. :mad:

W Chicago Lakeshore = http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ruckOfFail.jpg

Scathing trip report later this week. You know I tell it like it is and I'm very detailed in my reviews and cover a number of important points on a particular hotel.

Having said that, if you have an upcoming stay booked here, I strongly suggest you rebook at another starwood hotel in Chicago.

This place is an unsanitary disgusting den of incompetence!

CNWO4LIFE Sep 7, 2009 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite (Post 12342586)
I'm at this property right now and I can say without a doubt, this has been my worst W stay ever.

This property = http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ruckOfFail.jpg

Scathing trip report later this week. You know I tell it like it is and I'm very detailed in my reviews and cover a number of important points on a particular hotel.

Having said that, if you have an upcoming stay booked here, I strongly suggest you rebook at another starwood hotel in Chicago.

This place is an unsanitary disgusting den of incompetence!

I cannot wait Cheap, I am sure this will be very interesting.

Lefty Sep 7, 2009 11:32 am

I too had a recent subpar award stay at the W Lakeshore. On the plus side, after my stay, I submitted a complaint and did in fact rec'v some points back from mngt so at least they are open to dealing with complaints. With so many other Starwood options in the area, I doubt we will ever go back to the Lakeshore.

SNA_Flyer Sep 7, 2009 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite (Post 12342586)

Probably the best description I have heard of this property to date. It's below the W New York now as far as I am concerned (the previous worst W).

Delightful Lady Sep 7, 2009 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite (Post 9155295)
I agree with BlissWorld, after reading pages of marginal reviews.

Based on this post, I might have to try this place. Although I prefer being at one of the Michigan Avenue properties.

And Yes, you folks need to take pictures and include them in your trip reports. :p;)

Looking forward to your pictures CE:p:p

capteros Sep 7, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm staying here in October using points. I hated the W New York...should I switch to the Park Hyatt?

vandalby Sep 8, 2009 4:11 am

Originally Posted by capteros (Post 12345438)
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm staying here in October using points. I hated the W New York...should I switch to the Park Hyatt?

While the Park Hyatt is a great property, I don't know if this warrants switching at this time. For starters, the poster has given no details whatsoever of the trip - just an interesting graphic and some words bashing the hotel.

Of the 14 posts prior to those remarks, there were 6 reviews that were generally positive and 3 that were generally negative.

I personally have stayed at this property and have always had good service and room quality. It's not the newest W, but I haven't found anything to indicate that it is run down. There is usually a good chance at getting a suite upgrade.

Your choice may depend on what you want to see/do while in Chicago. The W Lakeshore is very close to Navy Pier and is about a 5 - 10 minute walk from Michigan Ave. Public transportation is tough near the W, so you'll probably have to cab. The Park Hyatt is right on Michigan Ave. so in the heart of the shopping and a number of tourist attractions, easy to get to the Red Line, busses, etc.

I've always found this property superior to the W NY in terms of rooms size and Platinum treatment (admittedly, I haven't spent much time at the W NY post-renovation).

SanDiego1K Sep 8, 2009 9:48 am

I love the Park Hyatt Chicago. I always have an amazing stay there. But if you no longer want the W, and want to stay at Starwood, there are a number of properties in downtown Chicago. The Westin is virtually across the street from the Park Hyatt.

KENNECTED Sep 8, 2009 10:37 am

Chicago has several other starwood properties that fine. Check this thread Chicago Area Hotels 2007 on [Master Thread] and the individual threads (which I will also update) for more details.

Just avoid this dump!

Eujeanie Sep 11, 2009 5:41 pm

Well, I can't wait to see what we think, both of this property and W's in general. We're older (60's), have never stayed at a W, and are coming to downtown Chicago for just one night before heading to the 'burbs to visit family and friends.

I chose it for several reasons: New experience, and we're also having a "new experience" for dinner - reservations at Alinea. Should really blow our minds.

I know there were several other spg properties to choose from (we wanted to use points for the night), but we want to go to Navy Pier the next day so this was the closest to walk (we can keep the car garaged there until 5 pm the next day).

We have no status so are expecting their smallest, crappiest room. Any chance the snobby girls at check-in will have pity on us because we remind them of their parents? :rolleyes:

KENNECTED Sep 11, 2009 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 12367593)
Well, I can't wait to see what we think, both of this property and W's in general. We're older (60's), have never stayed at a W, and are coming to downtown Chicago for just one night before heading to the 'burbs to visit family and friends.

I chose it for several reasons: New experience, and we're also having a "new experience" for dinner - reservations at Alinea. Should really blow our minds.

I know there were several other spg properties to choose from (we wanted to use points for the night), but we want to go to Navy Pier the next day so this was the closest to walk (we can keep the car garaged there until 5 pm the next day).

We have no status so are expecting their smallest, crappiest room. Any chance the snobby girls at check-in will have pity on us because we remind them of their parents? :rolleyes:

Avoid it!