Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by PDILLM
BlissWorld- Thanks for the post. I'm staying there this upcoming week and started to get nervous due to all the negative posts. I'm pretty exceited to check it out, especially since this is my first W stay. Hopefully my Plat will result in an upgrade.

Thanks-Paul
I'm headed there this week as well (Tuesday-Friday)....hope there are suites for both of us! We'll need a refuge from the weather. ^
Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Wink

Well you kids be sure to report back....with @:-) pictures @:-)

hint..hint
Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Well you kids be sure to report back....with @:-) pictures @:-)

hint..hint
Hey! Watch who you are calling a kid! My first trip to Chicago in 4 years and it looks like a (typical) nasty February week there but my meetings couldn't wait. Not good for my thin SoCal blood.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by clover
I'm headed there this week as well (Tuesday-Friday)....hope there are suites for both of us! We'll need a refuge from the weather. ^
I made it to Chicago...the weather is awful and getting worse. However, I did score a Marvelous Suite overlooking the lake. ^ The front desk was very helpful and friendly though initially they indicated that a suite would not be available until tomorrow for the last 2 days of my stay. When I got to my room I went on spg.com and, sure enough, the website was selling a suite the days of my stay. I called the desk and after "checking with the manager" they discovered a suite had just come back online. Whatever...whenever.....

By the way, I am staying on an Amex third night free pkg. for a total of $400 for the 3 nights this week. Not bad for 3 days of this room!

In any event, they were helpful and responsive and ...they did give me my points without asking!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by clover
I made it to Chicago...the weather is awful and getting worse. However, I did score a Marvelous Suite overlooking the lake. ^ The front desk was very helpful and friendly though initially they indicated that a suite would not be available until tomorrow for the last 2 days of my stay. When I got to my room I went on spg.com and, sure enough, the website was selling a suite the days of my stay. I called the desk and after "checking with the manager" they discovered a suite had just come back online. Whatever...whenever.....

By the way, I am staying on an Amex third night free pkg. for a total of $400 for the 3 nights this week. Not bad for 3 days of this room!

In any event, they were helpful and responsive and ...they did give me my points without asking!
Glad you made it safely...you're going to see the best in Chicago weather the next few days...if you need local restaurant suggestions, send me a PM!
Old Feb 9, 2008, 7:31 am

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
Dissapointed

As I mentioned before, this was my first stay at a W, so I'm not sure if my dissapointment is with this particular W or all W's. I traveled with another coworker and we stayed 3 days in Chicago, one night at a Sheraton, a Westin, and the last at the W. I think I may have enjoyed the W more had it been a weekend or on a trip that wasn't work related, but compared to the other hotels I was very dissapointed.

Both of us did get upgraded to a suite facing lakeshore drive, but when I was amazed by how small the room was. The suite was approximately the same size as a standard sheraton room. My coworkers was the same, so I assume all the suites are the same size. I was also amazed how EVERYTHING in the room was for sale. I felt like I had to check everything twice to see if I could use it or not. Some of the dissapointments was that there was no coffeemaker (important since I was getting up at 5) and I'm used to a free water at the other properties. I couldn't bring myself to pay $8 for a water, so called the front desk to ask and they confirmed no platinum free water.

Maybe I just don't get it, but the hotel was nothing special, the rooms were a dissapointment compared to a Sheraton\Weston, the Platinum upgrades are better at the other properties, and I felt that except for the checkin process, there was no benefit of being a wood member. The hotel was at a great location, very clean, everyone was very nice, but for what I payed I could have a multi-room suite at a Sheraton with more upgrades and conveniences.

I'd probably try a W again in another city, but if there was a Sheraton\Westin next door to a W, I'd definately forgo the W......
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Both of us did get upgraded to a suite facing lakeshore drive, but when I was amazed by how small the room was. The suite was approximately the same size as a standard sheraton room.
Not true. I have stayed at every single Starwood in Chicago, standard room and suite. I can assure you that the Marvelous Suite at W Chicago Lakeshore is NOT the same size as the room at Sheraton Chicago.
W Chicago Lakeshore Living Room
W Chicago Bedroom
Huge Bathroom
Separate Shower

Sheraton Chicago Standard room

Marvelous Suite: 550 sq ft+
Sheraton Chicago standard room: 270 sq ft

My coworkers was the same, so I assume all the suites are the same size. I was also amazed how EVERYTHING in the room was for sale.
Please tell us, which other hotels offer free room items other than bottled water (only on club floors/spg floors). How many freebies do you expect? And also, there's a 7-11 across the street. Why didn't you pick up some items there?

I couldn't bring myself to pay $8 for a water, so called the front desk to ask and they confirmed no platinum free water.
That is not a published benefit. Platinums do NOT get free water.

Maybe I just don't get it, but the hotel was nothing special, the rooms were a dissapointment compared to a Sheraton\Weston,
and Which other Sheraton/Westin in Chicago are you comparing this to? Like I said, I've stayed at Sheraton Chicago, Westin River North, Westin Michigan Ave, and W City Center. I'd put W Lakeshore on the top of my list.

I felt that except for the checkin process, there was no benefit of being a wood member.
The Marvelous suite upgrade isn't a benefit? A late check out isn't a benefit?

I'm not sure what you are getting at. If getting free bottled water or getting a wedge of cheese at a club lounge is extremely important to you, perhaps you should look for hotels with a club lounge next time. However, I'd much rather go to the next door 7-11 and pick up some snacks and stay at a property with much better amenities in the room.

I feel strongly about this because I was very hesitant about staying at this hotel with so many negative reviews out there. In fact, I tried to go out of my way to avoid this hotel. Then, I gave it a shot and wanted to see it for myself. I was happy to learn most negative things said about this hotel was simply not true. I took the liberty to take some pictures and let others decide for themselves.

Last edited by BlissWorld; Feb 9, 2008 at 10:33 am
Old Feb 9, 2008, 11:16 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Bliss World-you know you are blessed when it comes to getting great rooms.
Other folks might not have the same luck.
Their experiences are valid as well.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Bliss World-you know you are blessed when it comes to getting great rooms.
Other folks might not have the same luck.
Their experiences are valid as well.
Of course their experiences are valid. However, I'm simply responding to what the OP has addressed. Some of the items are simply not true. The OP stated that he had been upgraded to a suite and that it was the same size as a standard room at Sheraton. That's simply not true.

Another thing the OP pointed out was that the Marvelous suite was nothing special. Well, that's based on his/her personal opinion and I'm not discounting that. That's why I posted some pictures and let others decide for themselves.

Last edited by BlissWorld; Feb 9, 2008 at 11:44 am
Old Feb 9, 2008, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Of course their experiences are valid. However, I'm simply responding to what the OP has addressed. Some of the items are simply not true. The OP stated that he had been upgraded to a suite and that it was the same size as a standard room at Sheraton. That's simply not true.

Another thing the OP pointed out was that the Marvelous suite was nothing special. Well, that's based on his/her personal opinion and I'm not discounting that. That's why I posted some pictures and let others decide for themselves.
I must say I am totally with Blissworld on this one. I had a great 3 night stay at the Lakeshore in my Marvelous suite. I thought the room was a good size for a city suite and certainly more than ample for one or 2 persons. As I said earlier, I had to press the front desk a bit on check-in to "discover" an available suite but they were certainly responsive and professional. In fact, I thought the staff as a whole was very well trained and capable.

Blissworld's pictures and review could just as well have been mine so I won't take up more space on that other than to add a "+1".

I originally was checked into a regular room that seemed a bit small though more than adequate. The suite was very comfortable. Large desk looking out at the lake and Navy Pier. 42" plasma in the living room and 32" in the bedroom plus the B&0 radio/CD system.

By the way, I asked for a coffee maker and one was swiftly provided though I did have to ask for more coffee on the 3rd day. All in all I became a fan of this hotel, at least when staying in a suite. I also took advantage of the Amex 3rd night free promo so my 3 day rate was a total of $400. Hard to beat in my book.^
Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:36 pm

I'd just written up a back dated review (with pics) of the W Chicago-Lakeshore. This was the first ever W that I stayed at and now one of my favourite hotels out of hotels I've stayed at around the world. This is how I became loyal to SPG.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...48&postcount=1
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
Wow!!

Sorry for disagreeing with you BlissWorld! You are obviously very passionate about this property, but it did nothing for me.

The property I compared it to was the Westin Chicago Northwest where my room was huge with a conference table, couch, etc. Like I said, I was there with several coworkers, so the additional room was a nice gift. I compared it to a suite since I was told I was upgraded to a suite when I was checked in. It was a small toom. Maybe it was just a regular room?

Every property I stay in I get free water. If this is not a published perk then I am even more grateful!

I didn't say anything negative about the property, only that I was dissapointed and it wasn't my kind of place.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry for disagreeing with you BlissWorld! You are obviously very passionate about this property, but it did nothing for me.
No need to apologize! Of course its okay to disagree.

The property I compared it to was the Westin Chicago Northwest where my room was huge with a conference table, couch, etc. Like I said, I was there with several coworkers, so the additional room was a nice gift. I compared it to a suite since I was told I was upgraded to a suite when I was checked in. It was a small toom. Maybe it was just a regular room?
Well, you did say it was smaller than a standard Sheraton room, which isn't true. I posted pics of my suite so you'll know if you got a suite or not.
Old May 22, 2008, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Just wanted to chime in with my thoughts on the property. I held a small meeting there last week (May 15-16) for about ~35 physicians. Nothing but compliments! A few of us were upgraded to Marvelous Suites with great views of the lake. BlissWorld described the suite and other facilities perfectly so I won't bother rehashing. We had all meals on-site and were pleased with the food quality and service. Our meeting planner said that the W's staff was great to work with, very attentive and accomodating. The hotel was given an average rating of 4.5/5 by our attendees, and they're not an easy crowd!

I would gladly stay again whether for business or pleasure, even though I'm usually a Hilton girl. ^
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Any recent stays/experiences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.