Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton New Delhi, India [Master Thread]

Sheraton New Delhi, India [Master Thread]

Old Apr 15, 07, 4:53 pm
  #1  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 93,446
Arrow Sheraton New Delhi, India [Master Thread]

Apparently the WelcomGroup New Delhi Hotel -- formerly the Marriott there in the Saket area of DEL -- is to fly a new flag, that of Sheraton.

It will be interesting to see what award category it's given.

(The ITC Maurya Sheraton in Delhi will still be a Starwood hotel.)
GUWonder is offline  
Old Apr 15, 07, 6:39 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 326
Wow, a full circle turn. SPG is making good headway in New Delhi. Sadly, Marriott does not have ANY presence in the Indian capitol.

Room rates are running close to $300.00 USD base for most 5 star hotels. Any recommendations for hotels in the 100-150 USD range?

Mike
mikeinseattle is offline  
Old May 9, 07, 12:56 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 93,446
Another Sheraton in Delhi Taking Bookings

The new Sheraton Delhi (which used to be a Marriott in years gone by) is taking bookings for stays starting on May 15th.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...CheckAvail=yes

I'm curious on how many people will end up booking the wrong Sheraton in Delhi.
GUWonder is offline  
Old May 9, 07, 7:02 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lafayette, CO, USA
Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Posts: 9,096
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
(The ITC Maurya Sheraton in Delhi will still be a Starwood hotel.)
This may be confusing for a little while, but...

"On May 15, 2007, ITC Hotel Maurya Sheraton & Towers will be rebranded as The Luxury Collection ITC Maurya - New Delhi."
sc flier is offline  
Old May 9, 07, 2:02 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 93,446
Originally Posted by sc flier View Post
This may be confusing for a little while, but...

"On May 15, 2007, ITC Hotel Maurya Sheraton & Towers will be rebranded as The Luxury Collection ITC Maurya - New Delhi."
Yes. Watch taxi/car drivers and others get it wrong for quite some time.

The soon to be Sheraton (i.e., not the current ITC Maurya Sheraton) is located in Saket section of New Delhi and is known as either the Marriott or simply the WelcomGroup Hotel. This Saket property will be known as the Sheraton effective next week.

The still-Maurya Sheraton (i.e., soon to be called Luxury Collection ITC Maurya) is located in the diplomatic quarter Chanakyapuri and should be referred to as "Maurya" just to avoid the confusion.
GUWonder is offline  
Old May 10, 07, 10:08 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta: Platinum, Turkish: Gold (Star Alliance Gold); HHonors: Gold; Hyatt: Plat; SPG: Plat;
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by mikeinseattle View Post
Wow, a full circle turn. SPG is making good headway in New Delhi. Sadly, Marriott does not have ANY presence in the Indian capitol.

Room rates are running close to $300.00 USD base for most 5 star hotels. Any recommendations for hotels in the 100-150 USD range?

Mike
Mike:

There is an acute shortage of hotel rooms in Delhi, especially 4-5 star categories, which has resulted in the unusually high rates.

High demand (lots of US companies CXOs etc visiting), Low supply = Exorbitant rates.

You either have the $300 hotels or the $30 cheap hotels!

Definitely stay away from the "govt hotels" - such as the Ashoka!

I have the same dilemma when I go to Delhi!

All the best!
id9795 is offline  
Old Jul 20, 07, 6:37 am
  #7  
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SIN
Programs: TG*G, Mar LTBT, Hyatt Glb, AA PLT-LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Posts: 11,679
Question

Has anyone stayed at this property? I'm considering staying there but the price seems too good to be a safe stay. I have a conference at the Oberoi and the Saket location doesn't look like too bad a commute to save about USD 125/night.
yosithezet is offline  
Old Jul 20, 07, 2:09 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 93,446
Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
Has anyone stayed at this property? I'm considering staying there but the price seems too good to be a safe stay. I have a conference at the Oberoi and the Saket location doesn't look like too bad a commute to save about USD 125/night.
I've stayed there a few times, with all but two being before the reflagging. If the location works, then it's nothing I'd run away from -- particularly given the savings amount you mention.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jul 22, 07, 2:52 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 1,600
Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post
Has anyone stayed at this property? I'm considering staying there but the price seems too good to be a safe stay. I have a conference at the Oberoi and the Saket location doesn't look like too bad a commute to save about USD 125/night.
We stayed at the Marriott a little over a year ago, and it was in the middle of nowhere. At least the Maurya Sheraton, if one got tired of the same hotel food, one could walk around the corner to another hotel and have a fine meal. We would not chose to stay at the Mariott/Sheraton again even though it appeared to be closer to the airport than the Maurya Sheraton/Luxury Collection. Both hotels were similarily priced.
Life_Platinum is offline  
Old Jul 22, 07, 3:28 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 93,446
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum View Post
We stayed at the Marriott a little over a year ago, and it was in the middle of nowhere. At least the Maurya Sheraton, if one got tired of the same hotel food, one could walk around the corner to another hotel and have a fine meal. We would not chose to stay at the Mariott/Sheraton again even though it appeared to be closer to the airport than the Maurya Sheraton/Luxury Collection. Both hotels were similarily priced.
The Maurya Sheraton has generally been priced higher than the property now known as Sheraton New Delhi.

"Another hotel" that "one could walk around the corner to" from the Maurya Sheraton is the Taj Palace hotel. Doing that kind of thing of walking around the corner to have a meal at another hotel, as you've noted, around the Sheraton New Delhi in the Saket section is just not possible.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jun 13, 10, 12:05 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 27,814
seems like there have been no posts here for the last few years so i'll kick start this thread again....

first of all i apologize for this late review....i stayed here for a couple of nights in january this year (thanks to my neighbours internal piping blowing up & flooding most of my house)....

was taken to the club lounge for checkin....hotel was pretty full, due to the wedding season so there were no suites available....i did however get an upgrade to an executive club room, right next to the lounge....free breakfast & evening cocktails in the lounge....

fairly nice size room....small sitting area....access to the lounge....

there is a restaurant right above the lobby area called dakshin....amazing food....definitely one of the better restaurants in the city....

can't comment on the pool or gym since i didn't use either....

location is very good....its less than 5 minutes walking distance from 3 malls, lots of bars & restaurants, movie theaters & a bunch of other small shops....
Keyser is offline  
Old Apr 26, 15, 9:06 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 27,814
no update here again for a few years....

has anyone stayed here lately????i've been trying to book a suite here for next month but the website shows no suites available for the entire month of may....has anyone been able to book a suite here????
Keyser is offline  
Old Apr 26, 15, 5:30 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: LHR
Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, LH FTL, CX Diamond, BA Silver, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
no update here again for a few years....

has anyone stayed here lately????i've been trying to book a suite here for next month but the website shows no suites available for the entire month of may....has anyone been able to book a suite here????
Stayed there earlier this month and upgraded to a suite with a 2nd interconnection room on, iirc, the 7th floor.....which is the one with the club lounge.

Full breakfast offered, did not get time to use the club lounge but looked. Service was excellent....I left some valuables in the taxi over to the hotel. Concierge managed to track down the driver and items brought to my room within a few hours. Truly remarkable & attentive service.

PM me if you want the details for the Duty Manager I dealt with, who kindly upgraded me.

C55
camille55 is offline  
Old Apr 27, 15, 1:57 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: India
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Posts: 27,814
Originally Posted by camille55 View Post
Stayed there earlier this month and upgraded to a suite with a 2nd interconnection room on, iirc, the 7th floor.....which is the one with the club lounge.

Full breakfast offered, did not get time to use the club lounge but looked. Service was excellent....I left some valuables in the taxi over to the hotel. Concierge managed to track down the driver and items brought to my room within a few hours. Truly remarkable & attentive service.

PM me if you want the details for the Duty Manager I dealt with, who kindly upgraded me.

C55
thanks for the update....i've been upgraded to a suite here in the past but i just found it strange that i don't see the option to book one for the entire month....

could you please pm me the details????
Keyser is offline  
Old Apr 27, 15, 3:09 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: LHR
Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, LH FTL, CX Diamond, BA Silver, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
Posts: 129
Just PM-ed you Keyser.

c55
camille55 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: