Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Jay, Autograph Collection, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Jay, Autograph Collection, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, RR A-list, National Exec
Arrow Le Meridien Hotel San Francisco (Master Thread)

3 days at this wonderful hotel last month. Wife and I were in SF for an industry conference.

I had booked this hotel on an award stay, even though St. Francis was closer to our conference location, based on the reviews I read here.

The place was outstanding. Walking distance to Chinatown for an excellent dinner one night. The following night, the hotel's complimentary car service took us to a great Italian place in North Beach. The car also delivered us to the Hilton and back each day of our business there.

Rooms are comfortable, staff is friendly and helpful. It was our first stay, and after checking in, the concierge (each one of them) greeted us by name every time we came back in.

All around, a first class experience. I can't say enough good things about it. Do yourself a favor next time you're in San Francisco and try this hotel.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 4:58 pm

Programs: DAL Diamond, JB Mosaic, AGR Select+, SPG Plat 75, Hyatt Diamond, AXP Plat, AXP DAL Reserve, AXP SPG
Will be there next month -- what was the name of the italian restaurant?

Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2007, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
My favorite Italian in North Beach is:

Mona's Lisa's on Columbus Ave. and
Tommaso's on Kearny St (just off Columbus).
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:56 am

Just got back from a weekend stay there. I have nothing but positive to say about this property. First I booked almost last minute from the spg site for a very good rate of 169 (after i booked, the rate immediately jumped back to 359) for a classic room. I didn't have much expectation for upgrade (as a gold, and also as a busy weekend). Upon checkin , the front desk was very warm and welcome, they actually let me checkin early (around 12pm) and was very generous with the late checkout too. I got upgraded to xx06 room (junior suite), the room is a big corner room with sofa and nice view of the bay. The bedding was comfortable too. What made my stay expectional was the concierge team, esp William was very friendly and helpful. He recommended me one of the best dim sum restaurant I had in the entire nocal/socal. feels like I am in Hong kong! I will definitely return to stay at this property again, its a short walk to the bart, but its def. worth it!
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:19 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

The time has come to test the former legend in SF

I finally booked a reservation here for late September.
Waited to book this property to let it get settled in and oiled as an SPG property.
My memories here of the former Park Hyatt is that of a legend.
Almost always a great suite with balcony with breathtaking views of the bay.
And always a remarkable team treating you like missed family members perhaps better ^

They knew what you wanted and knew your name before you could hit the front desk.
Yet these same folks knew magically when to give you your privacy.
This hotel was so polished so professional that I rarely stayed at other area Starwood properties except during SPG promotional times.
How strange to be in the Starwood family of hotels
The former Park Hyatt knew every newspaper I liked,my towel preference for bath sheets, even my muffin choice in the morning. Sometimes it was embarrassing and they ruined me by raising the bar quite frankly. At check in sometimes they would say which is your favorite suite so we can try to reserve it for you in the future?

Quite frankly I have lower expectations with Starwood/SPG as the Gold Passport Diamond breakfast vouchers will be gone and there will be no special memorable amenity other then points. Fair enough different programs. The thing I appreciated in the past was superb treatment on award or revenue. Each and every stay was important to them as was my satisfaction.
My faith in returning is knowing a number of these exceptional individuals still remain at the concierge desk.

I will assume I will be lucky to get the oversized guest room they are now calling suites. Look forward to sharing my trip report. They will have to be really good to pull off one the best track records of any property.The put Hyatt/Park Hyatt on the map in North America

Excited to see some of those individuals again I have had the honor to know for many years.
I salute them all as true class acts ^:-::-::-::-
Ok here I come Le Meridien.My first stay in that brand ever

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Sep 19, 2007 at 12:23 pm
Old Sep 19, 2007, 12:03 pm

Metropolitan Suites?

I'm planning to take my wife for a romantic getaway in San Francisco in the beginning of November. Le Meridien is one of the hotels I've got on my list (after some extensive reading through the threads). However, one of things that still is not clear to me is the layout of a "Metropolitan Suite".

In reading through this thread, I see many references to junior suites, which people are describing as large rooms with an entertainment console that breaks up the bedroom and living room areas. This also seems consistent with the pictures that I've seen on Tripadvisor. Are these "Executive" or "Premier" suites? While they look nice, I'm really hoping for something with actual separate rooms.

The Meridien website describes the Metropolitan Suite as "An Exquisitely Designed Hospitality Suite With 868 Sq Ft, Sitting Area, And Dining Room. Perfect For Business Meeting." Has anyone stayed in this? Are they separate rooms, or just a larger version of what I'm seeing on Tripadvisor? Also, what does "perfect for business meeting" mean?

Any insight would be most appreciated.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Crooow

Any insight would be most appreciated.
This still would be considered a satisfactory Platinum upgrade from a standard guest room.
The former Park Hyatt would give these out when real suites were not available. It was considered a Park Executive room.These are the ones with the tv console cabinet with the fridge in the middle of the room.
I certainly hope they replaced the tired 15 inch dated televisions with poor operating remote contols

However I would add the hotel is obviously trying to define it as suite now rather then the very nice oversized room that it is. The bathrooms in these deluxe guest rooms are nicer then the real Jr suites with separate shower stalls. However they lack the nicer two room set up of the Jr suites which make it feel more like an upscale condo. Also the real Jr. suites have much better views. That said these are certainly highly satisfactory guest rooms that now are called suites. It probably helps the hotel justify the doubling of the price since it became a Le Meridien
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoyed LT Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
[The Meridien website describes the Metropolitan Suite as "An Exquisitely Designed Hospitality Suite With 868 Sq Ft, Sitting Area, And Dining Room. Perfect For Business Meeting." Has anyone stayed in this? [/QUOTE]

We just spent last weekend here, our first stay since it switched over from Hyatt. I would say the Metropolitan Suite at over 800 Sq. ft. is most likely, at a minimum, a two-room setup. I believe the oft mentioned X01 and X06 "parlor" rooms (I think that's what the PH called them) are about 500 sq. ft.

I used to stay here when it was PH approximately 12-15 times per year, so it was nice to see the property. In fact, it was most likely due to this switch and the closure of the PH and HR in Los Angeles that caused me to switch primary program loyalty to *W.

A pre check in visit to the website indicated we were scheduled for a "Studio Suite" & at check in I saw it was a X01 room. However, I was recognized by the front desk as a past PH guest and was then offered one of the two-room suites on the opposite corners (X19 or X20, X18 and X19 on the 24th Floor). Since we rarely got these as Hyatt Diamond, I chose the whirlpool bath suite as we'd never stayed in one of these before.

If I were to choose again, I would pick the balcony suite as there is not a separate shower stall & tub (I forgot about that) and the low water pressure took forever to fill the tub. In fact, I believe the X01 and X06 rooms have larger bathrooms with separate shower and tub. But despite that, it was still a very nice stay, although we did miss those breakfast vouchers Hyatt used to give. Though it appears the outstanding lemon blueberry pancakes are no longer on the menu (at least not on the room service menu), staff said they will still prepare them if asked.

Most of the staff still remains, and the concierge staff are still excellent, though it seems many staff missed being associated with "the Park". And the furnishings still appear to be the same.

As mentioned before, one of the best things about the PH were the attentive staff and all the little things, such as pre-printed shoe shine cards. I think with the retention of so many of the staff, it will continue to remain my priority choice in the City & we'll see with several more stays I have scheduled here during the next few months.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:26 am

Trip Report WARNING VERY DETAILED (long)

A Stay at the Le Meridien San Francisco (The Former Park Hyatt)

It was with great anticipation
I returned to one of my favorite hotels in North America.
Under the former Park Hyatt flag for many year’s the service delivered was some of the gold standard that other properties tried to aspire to in or out of the city of San Francisco.This was the single property that made me become a huge Hyatt fan some years ago........

How would Starwood do? Would they nurture the property or run it onto the ground with fast revolving door amateurs ?
It isn’t easy to take over from a legend and introduce a brand that in many ways is still in search of a strong brand identity…………
Less face it in Europe the Le Meriden brand may mean something but here in the US
I am afraid not much really comes to mind. However inheriting a fine property like this will add a certain amount of prestige to any brand IMO.

The hotel in the past was built without regard to the rampant cost cutting that goes on in most new hotel construction today. The original owners spent lavishly years ago to insure quality when the hotel was originally built.
The hotel hasn’t been renovated in over a decade and still looks excellent!
That my friends is great hotel design. The architect new what they were doing.It is more residential in feeling.
And we the guest can enjoy being on property each and every time.
The hotel for examples has windows that open and in some rooms sliding glass doors out to a balcony. I love that.

I worried needlessly that Starwood would start the silly nickel and dime stuff charging for the business center but thankfully that has not happened either another good sign.
The only evidence is the new charge for All 800 numbers.
Ok let’s start from the top upon arriving to the hotel:
I was shocked to see the beautiful windows and doors looking as if they were boarded up As if they had a fire or some construction going on.
Later found out if correctly informed that it is a tradition with Le Meridien.
These are very unattractive decals smothered all over the beautiful glass doors and windows. It is simply awful IMO.One can not see in or out with ease and it was confusing which door to use when entering .I have been a guest for over ten years so I certainly should know how to enter!
I also view it as a security risk in addition to cutting much of the nice street view out
More Starwood LM branding techniques? YIKES
Ok moving on enough said…….. Ok you ask how was the real experience ?

Check in and check were routine and in need of further coaching and perhaps different individuals to match the rest of the excellent in house team. The well dressed check in agent was acceptable but offered no welcome, smile or mention of a Platinum amenity choice or that I had been upgraded to an excellent suite.
Not fitting of the past front desk folks when a Hyatt.
I had been concerned before arrival I would not be recognized with regard to my Platinum status upgrade potential. Especially during a very busy convention time.

Once again I was in a suite ^
Even during a sold out few nights across the city where many SPG guests were walked to other area hotels.
I was soon happily settling in to a two room 18 series suite with Jacuzzi rather then my favorite terrace suite just across the hall in the 19 series. The Le Meridien could do no wrong from there on in and I was a happy camper
The Jacuzzi suite a fun welcome change. After all how much time does one spend on their balcony anyway?……..

So what other details/changes occurred during my stay? Bath sheets have been eliminated from guest rooms and suites even by request. These are the extra large luxurious towels that would be on guest profiles and put in suites before our arrivals. According to housekeeping Starwood eliminated them and they are no longer available.
Pen and paper next to the bed in the suites have also been eliminated.And when you use the existing pen and paper in the living room you are stripped to three tiny sheets on a pad just in case you were thinking of making off with a whole pad at departure.
So absurd and petty in a 300 dollar a night and up a night hotel but no big deal in the big world
Other missing memories newspapers. The former Park Hyatt would deliver and remember every newspaper on your profile and reconfirm your preferences at check in
Every morning now it is what ever they happen to slap down at your door.
Again no deal killer and typical of most Starwood hotels
what is convenient or economical for them. Its small handfuls of those details that separate the common hotel experience from one of great pleasure.

The other interesting yet bizarre change at the Le Meridian hotel is intruding sounds in the elevator
Upon first entering I heard leaking water above my head and thought at first a pipe had burst or may be leaking. It turns out the hotel spent an enormous amount (I hope that amount that was shared with me is incorrect) to put a sound system in the elevators to give it a W like edge. At times you may be hearing birds at other times tribal chants.
Call me old fashioned but the quiet and tranquility is what made this hotel great along with the fine product and service.
I may welcome cheesy dentist music in my next elevator ride after the Le Meridien elevator ride. Once or twice is cool but every time being subjected to that 12 times a day?
Starwood is trying to hard to make the hotel cool. Why can’t the Le Meridian just be classy? Which it is without trying.

I joked with some of their nice team members about the tribal chants in the morning elevator ride. I said I would pay them 50 bucks to shut them off. When they said it was out of their control I tried to at least pass a compliment saying how thankful I was that there was a Starwood hotel without a stinking lobby of incense fumes. It was explained that they had just run out of fragrance and to expect it on the next visit.
Thankfully they didn’t restock before I left. I did like the candles they placed in the lobby and from what I understand major room renovations are slated for next year.

Whatever is in store let’s hope its not in line with the leaking water soundtracks in the elevators or the dark Halloween Adams Family decals all over the doors and hotel windows. All that said I enjoyed seeing long time professional team members in house and being in the meticulous well maintained guest accommodations maintained by some of our nations best trained house keepers. Also left over and recognized from the Park Hyatt days.
Yes no fumes and a perfectly clean spotless room. Bravo .Yes sometimes it is a near perfect civilized world.

A small group of the fine inspired and exceptional concierge team remain
Those that have been added are remarkably proficient and friendly as well
The new concierge folks on board show considerable strength around a team of seasoned professionals. Some of the best in the nation.
So right off this property has so much going for it where it really counts.

Starwood did more then take over a classic property they inherited some terrific team members through out. I return to San Francisco in Feb for the opening of the brand new InterContinental down by the St Regis and the W
It will be interesting to see how they do in comparison
There rate is almost half of the Le Meridien at 189 per night.Le Meridien has the ability to be one of the top choices in SF for many years to come. It is already is a highly solid property just the way it is. Now if they could lose some of those dumb elevator soundtracks and door decals.
While they are at it cancel the perfume order for the lobby and buy everyone lunch for a job well done. The good news here?

The Le Meridien San Francisco offers good service typically and great accommodations. The majority of folks on board presently are doing a very fine job……..
Best of all it will probably keep getting better if early signs in their first transition year is any indication……

"The Le Meridien" San Francisco is a keeper. Don’t miss an opportunity to stay there.The Park Hyatt SF rests in peace and the Le Meriden looks like it may be writing the next chapter.
Thanks to anyone who made it through the end of my long winded novel^
Cheers
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, OWS
AMEX FHR Benefits

Any one had experience with the AMEX FHR benefits (Breakfast and Dinner for 2)?
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reviewing a fairly basic rate description I noticed what appears to be a complimentary towncar service:

Superior Non-smoking Room, 32 Inch Flat Screen Lcd Tv, Wireless Internet/fee, 24hr Access To Health Club, Comp Towncar Service

Has anyone had any experience with it?
Old Apr 1, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by azepine00
Reviewing a fairly basic rate description I noticed what appears to be a complimentary towncar service:

Superior Non-smoking Room, 32 Inch Flat Screen Lcd Tv, Wireless Internet/fee, 24hr Access To Health Club, Comp Towncar Service

Has anyone had any experience with it?
Inquired about it over the weekend. Available Monday-Friday 7AM - 9AM and Wednesday - Saturday from 5PM - 11PM. All they request is you make a reservation at the concierge desk. The coverage for the service is 3 miles.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 5:53 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by kluau88
Inquired about it over the weekend. Available Monday-Friday 7AM - 9AM and Wednesday - Saturday from 5PM - 11PM. All they request is you make a reservation at the concierge desk. The coverage for the service is 3 miles.
That is very cool ^^. I plan to use it when I am there .
Old Apr 4, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
For those who may have missed the Travelzoo deal...

...and you can live with a NON-CANCELLABLE reservation - internet weekend rates in April/May (and maybe later) are still going for $119 - $139/night (plus taxes and PARKING ) on www.lemeridian.com

Note: to see internet rates, take out the obnoxious SET/Corp. code that seems to appear randomly...
Old May 11, 2008, 9:28 pm

Free WiFi?

Is the Le Meridien SF now offering complementary Wi-Fi? I have a booking during June (FWIW, rate is $289.50 using SPG50 during a busy week) and the room description is:

1 King
Superior Non-smoking, 32 Inch Flat Screen Lcd Tv, Wi-fi Internet, 24hr Access To Health Club, Comp Towncar Service, A Refined 413 Sq Ft Of Sensible Style Offering Granite And Marble Bathrooms, Inspired Design, And Integrated Technology

If so, ^^^!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.