Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
We have stayed at PH before and after renovation. Frankly we were quite disappointed on our post renovation stay - the hotel before renovation had an air that was upscale, with a very airy, spacious lobby "hall" that opened directly to the Quay. Check in was done by 2 desks set on one side of the hall, and the guests sat down to check in. Rooms were MUCH LARGER than current rooms. There were a restaurant and a large bar area fully opened to the Quay.

After 2 years close down for renovation - the end result is, there is NO MORE LOBBY - you stepped in the front door, 5 steps you are in front of the check in counter. Right behind the narrow space is the restaurant with crowded sitting. Room is much smaller with Ikea style furnishing. No desk. Instead you get a table of all purpose The worst part and I consider a design failure - there is very little drawer space because the furnishing is too cheap - instead of providing drawers with railing, where there should be drawer, it is a wooden block or wooden skirt - much cheaper than even having shelves, let alone drawers.

I still have an old hotel pocket map from before the renovation - on the front it was the hotel's picture - I counted the "square" shape decoration on the serpentine shape hotel - the old building had only 3 or them facing the Quay. The new building had 6 or 7 of such. Each of the square in the old building consisted 2 rooms with Juilet balcony. Between the Square were the room did not have balcony. Now the new building maintains the same Square decoration but of course there are more than twice the number of these squares. Again each square has 2 rooms, now has real balcony. Therefore, for the same front footage the renovation has jammed in more than twice the number of rooms!
It is still holding its place in Sydney as the desired place to hold social functions and such - we witnessed a Chinese baby's first 100 days family party during our stay - as many were taking pictures with the couple and their baby, in the very cramped check in area next to the check in counter. I truly feel sorry for them.

IC at Double Bay is not a convenient location to most visitors to Sydney.

IC near the Quay and the Botanic Garden is at a much better location.

I would still prefer SOTP location than the properties near the Quay, given now you have mega cruise ships calling on Sydney Harbour virtually every day during the season - making the Quay very crowded with ship's passengers - a few thousands of them, plus crews that have a little bit time to go on shore. The iconic view of the Harbor Bridge and the Opera House together, viewed from Mrs. McGuire's Chair - is quite ruined when there is cruise ship in town because the mega ship is so big that it is almost the same size of the Opera House when viewing from the distance... blocking everything in view between the Opera House and the shore line. It also blocks the view from PH towards the Quay and the Ferry Pier as the cruise ship terminal is literally less than 3 min walk from PH. If you are at the 1st floor of PH, you would have zero privacy when people walk in front of your room all day long.
I agree with you overall (though have never stayed at either IC).

I've stayed at the PH and have had a couple of meetings there the past couple years. It goes without saying that the view is incredible but you nailed it -- the cruise ships really ruin things during the day and frankly after you've been there 1-2 times, you find yourself far away from the action.

SOTP is the best of both worlds -- a short walk to Circular Quay / Gardens / Opera House / etc for the sightseeing (and believe me I go running through the Gardens every visit just so I can see the Opera House / Bridge and take a million pictures so I don't discount being close to the big attractions) but with SOTP you still get the benefit of being right in the middle of CBD and a short walk to Darling Harbour and anything else near CBD you might want to access. Plus you get a top-notch lounge.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For return visitors, SOTP location beats all other Marriott properties.

The St. James station is 5 min walk from SOTP incl the time waiting for the traffic light. Extremely convenient to/from airport via train.

Very short walk to Martin Place (and of course the Quay and Parks), and to QVB / TownHall on another direction. I mention these advantages is that, several "important" bus routes for tourists are at Martin Place (to Palm Beach), and at QVB/TownHall (to Watson's Bay and Bondi Junction).

Some OT tips on activities

One day we took a bus at the terminus by Martin Place to Palm Beach. Later another bus to Manly, where we took the ferry back to the Quay. There is 60 min transfer allowance - the bus ride from Palm Beach to Manly turned out was 0 cost. Manly ferry had a discounted fare shown on our Opel cards, probably considered as another transfer.
FWIW, Manly ferry has 130 min transfer allowance from the time you tap the Opel card. No need to tap out like other ferry routes. Then you can get on another ferry and ride free within the 130min from you tap on. With some planning, one can save a tidy sum on transportation cost which is expensive in Sydney. with a 15.80 daily cap.

Another day we walked from Hyde Park to Botanic Garden to the Quay then back via streets.
Though we took very few pix of Sydney sights on this trip because we had been many times between 2000 and 2009, had more than enough pix already. lol.

With the 4pm check out privilege we managed to take advantage of the AUD2.70 cap on all transportation forms on Sunday. We walked to the bus terminus at Town Hall, took the bus to Watson's Bay, had a little walk up at the hill - the area has improved A Lot over the years, with paved walk paths and steel railings, plus disable access. Then we walked down to the park below and took the ferry back to the Quay. We had enough time left to walk back to the hotel, had a coffee and cookie in the lounge, then checked out. Went to St. James station, took the train to Central, switched to the airport train - were at the airport in 23 min.

Many people may not know it, the AUD2.70 cap is for the whole NSW, not just Sydney. You can literally make a day trip to New Castle by train from Central, then connect to a bus to Port Stephens - that is a vacation spot the Sydney residents go when they have time - much nicer beaches dotted the shoreline along the bus route. Newcastle itself is a nice little town with some breathtaking scenery along the shoreline cliff.

I would try to make a full Sunday in our next visit when and if we return again.

Sydney will always be our favorite city (until it changes, such as Paris no longer is), but we start liking Brisbane more, especially on this trip. It no longer is a sleepy little city yet still maintain its charming characters. Many quiet scenic spots easily reachable from CBD via the City Hopper which is free - both the locals and visitors use it Their GoCard is fully refundable incl both the deposit and balance, versus Sydney's Opel Card makes refund impossible for tourist as it would only send to an Australia bank account and you need to apply it at the transportation dept office! It is downright gauging the tourists to pad its revenues. We ended up having 2.80 left on each of our Opal cards - the lady staff from Japanese descent at the Transportation customer service located at the Grand Concourse at Central helped us to calculate the amount needed to top up, and told me, "You did very well because you would only leave 2.80 on the card - many visitors left a lot more and no way to get it back."

Hope the above tidbits would help future readers.
Kestrel likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
Just stayed at the SOTP for the first time and I must say I love it! I usually stay at the Marriott Circular Quay and have stayed at the Westin a few times, As others have mentioned the location is quite convenient... just a few minutes walk from the train station when coming from the airport. I only made it to the lounge one evening and it was packed. So packed they were offering vouchers for similar items in the lobby restaurant. They had local oysters the night I was there which were incredible and I found the breakfast in the lounge to be pretty high quality. Glad I read the thread here else I would have always stayed at the Marriott. I think this is my new favourite hotel... haven't tried the Pier one yet... it always seems a bit more expensive than the others when booking.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Searching on M/R/S properties in Sydney for Oz Fest 16 in May 2019. One thing that's struck me in this thread is the lack of comments WRT the Westin. Any specific issues with that property? Also, the Old Claire Hotel now is showing availability for Oz Fest - any feedback on that hotel?

David
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Searching on M/R/S properties in Sydney for Oz Fest 16 in May 2019. One thing that's struck me in this thread is the lack of comments WRT the Westin. Any specific issues with that property? Also, the Old Claire Hotel now is showing availability for Oz Fest - any feedback on that hotel?

David
The primary reason probably is in the Thread Title. Westin was not in the consideration when the thread was started.

Besides, SOTP has renovated rooms (they renovated floor by floor). Its lounge has very good F&B and nice views albeit could be crowded at times but the staff cannot be nicer. They do take care of you.
SOTP location is more preferrable to most.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I know this isn't one of the original two being compared...but I recently checked out all 4 properties (SOTP, Marriott, Westin, and Pier One [Autograph Collection]) in Sydney and Pier One wins hands down.

SOTP felt dated to me; the lounge was busy and I hated having to have an attendant do every drink versus just grabbing it yourself. Also, the lounge manager mentioned they have at least 50 Platinums stay there every night during a work week and even some weekends - so take that as you will for VIP treatment and upgrades. Really cool that the lounge has outdoor balconies, though

The Westin has a much smaller and more private lounge that seems to be used less. There is an attendant but you can take your own stuff. They also have COKE PRODUCTS! Service was impeccable but very few suites available

The Marriott had great service too, but their lounge is on the 2nd floor - limiting view - compared to much higher lounges at SOTP and The Westin, which offer better views. Upgrades also seemed tougher at the Marriott, for some reason. I also didn't care for the immediate vicinity of the Marriott given all the construction and such, but it's maybe 2 blocks walking from Circular Quay

Pier One was my hands down favorite. Sure, it lacks a lounge - but they offer an amazing choice of food welcome amenities - it is such a boutique property with excellent service - and the views and location right under the Harbour Bridge in the rocks area cannot be beat. They also don't seem to have many folks with status as I received amazing upgrades, including to their Presidential suite. Can't say enough good things about this property - skip the other cookie cutter brands you know from everywhere else and stay here. The breakfast has coolers full of fancy juices, every variety of organic milk you can find, barista coffee service, etc. Really good.
I was recently there and stayed in both the Marriott and the Pier One. I agree with this post 100%. The Pier One was beautiful, the room was amazing and the staff even sent personalized thank you notes.
travelista likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz P.C., GE/NEXUS
I spent 4 nights at the Pier One in July before the merger, was a MR Gold then and was treated very well, the breakfast especially was EPIC compared to anything I've had in Stariott properties anywhere.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lrbenko
I was recently there and stayed in both the Marriott and the Pier One. I agree with this post 100%. The Pier One was beautiful, the room was amazing and the staff even sent personalized thank you notes.
Originally Posted by YYCowboy
I spent 4 nights at the Pier One in July before the merger, was a MR Gold then and was treated very well, the breakfast especially was EPIC compared to anything I've had in Stariott properties anywhere.
My take is, Pier One the room upgrade is a crap shoot - you may get an excellent room or you may get a room with the smallest window imaginable. The most recent experience posted on Pier One prompted me to switch to SOTP where we were given a corner room. I dont much care for suite but dont want to rely on luck for a better room when the property has very uneven room varieties under the same "type".

On top of that, our stay involved a Sat which could be extremely noisy at Pier One during Summer months because they do sell to non guests for functions and even the "Igloos" on the deck - a very popular feature for bachelors and bachelorettes parties that can go into vee hours. For Winter time (July/August) stay that may be not an issue as partying out in the cold by the sea is not a good choice. During summer months (Nov/Dec) though, I am afraid this would greatly reduce the experiences.

Location wise, Pier One is the most inconvenient unless you use Uber every time. SOTP is within 10 to 15 min walk at every direction to places you want to go. The airport train station is within 5 min walk including the time to wait for the traffic light.

I dont get the complaint on not able to grab your own drink because the lounge staff is EXTREMELY accommodating and remember your preference during your stay. They also constantly walk the lounge to make sure guests glasses are filled timely.

While others said the Pier One breakfast is EPIC, I would add the SOTP lounge F&Bs are several notches above the regular Stariott lounges, even incl some in Asia. It is comparable to JWM in Hong Kong and better than JWM Marquis in Dubai when it comes to the quality of foods and beverages. On the first 2 evenings, we were shocked by the size of the King Prawns. They were 5" long and extremely fresh. The subsequent evenings the sizes were a bit smaller but equally fresh. They also kept replenish both the King prawns and the raw oysters. Oddly they did not replenish the sushi rolls that were just your basic California rolls type. Hardly worth anything.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 27, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

David
The Westin location is nice (it's not far from SOTP and has the same CBD location that SOTP does). I've never stayed there due to reports in the old SPG thread of the Westin rooms being on the smaller side and the Club lounge doesn't receive the same level of enthusiasm as the SOTP lounge (which I can vouch for from my own stays).

Haven't stayed at Old Claire (given how new it is the portfolio) but not a huge fan of the location since my preference is CBD with easy walk to harbour and gardens -- plus no lounge but it does look like a cool hotel with a lot of character.

Would consider staying at the Westin or Old Claire in the future if the prices was right (or for whatever reason they were the only in-policy hotel) but I stand by my review earlier in this thread in terms of the other Starriott properties with SOTP being my #1 choice all else equal.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
An additional follow up - a number of posts in this thread mention that the SOTP is recommended for "return/returning visitors". Just wondering if another M/R/S Sydney property recommended for 1st time visitors?

David
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
While others said the Pier One breakfast is EPIC, I would add the SOTP lounge F&Bs are several notches above the regular Stariott lounges, even incl some in Asia. It is comparable to JWM in Hong Kong and better than JWM Marquis in Dubai when it comes to the quality of foods and beverages. On the first 2 evenings, we were shocked by the size of the King Pawns. They were 5" long and extremely fresh. The subsequent evenings the sizes were a bit smaller but equally fresh. They also kept replenish both the King pawns and the raw oysters. Oddly they did not replenish the sushi rolls that were just your basic California rolls type. Hardly worth anything.
I refuse to eat chess pieces no matter how fresh
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I refuse to eat chess pieces no matter how fresh
Ah thanks for pointing out the typo in a funny way. Corrected it.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An additional follow up - a number of posts in this thread mention that the SOTP is recommended for "return/returning visitors". Just wondering if another M/R/S Sydney property recommended for 1st time visitors?

David
You really should open a Google map with all the hotels "saved" as a star or a bubble, then see for yourself how the hotel locations relate to the sightseeing spots you plan to do.

Using Opera House as the focal point -

SOTP is equally good for 1st time visitor because it is a short stroll thru the Hyde Park and Botanic Garden that leads you to Mrs. Mcquarie's Chair point where ALL first time visitors would take their obligatory pictures with the Harbor bridge and Opera House as the backdrop. After that you can walk along the seaside towards Opera House. Or you can walk straight "up" directly via the streets to the Quay. You can take different route on each direction.
On the other direction towards CBD, it is 10 or less min to QVB (the major shopping arcade and a scene to see) and Town Hall area. Another 5 to 7 min get you to Darling Harbour.
Many visitors prefer being closer to CBD than closer to the Quay / The Rock area (too touristy, and overwhelmingly crowded on port days when there are cruise ships in town).

Marriott itself is the closest to the touristy part of the Quay and the Opera House as it is about 1 or 2 streets behind it. Pier One is on the very far end of the Quay in opposite direction and out on the part of the shore and a 20 min walk to Opera House. But it would be a much longer walk to QVB and you should take a ride to Darling Harbour if you depart from Marriott.

If you take buses, the transportation hubs are scattering around depending on routes. They are behind the Ferry Piers, near George st, at Martin Place, near Town Hall, at Central Station, just off the top of my head on the routes we used.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 27, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
So I was considering staying at the Sydney Hilton where I have diamond status in april. I also have plat elite status (I was matched to this status from old Marriott gold with the merger and I read the status will last until Feb 2020 please correct me if I am wrong in that understanding because as of now I still have the status) with marriott and am now just learning about SOTP but it is approx $60 more per night. Is it worth the extra money. It will be my first time in Sydney and will be there for tourism. The other hotel I considered was the Quay but it seems SOTP is coming out more desirable and its actually as bit cheaper than the quay.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:29 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Red259
So I was considering staying at the Sydney Hilton where I have diamond status in april. I also have plat elite status (I was matched to this status from old Marriott gold with the merger and I read the status will last until Feb 2020 please correct me if I am wrong in that understanding because as of now I still have the status) with marriott and am now just learning about SOTP but it is approx $60 more per night. Is it worth the extra money. It will be my first time in Sydney and will be there for tourism. The other hotel I considered was the Quay but it seems SOTP is coming out more desirable and its actually as bit cheaper than the quay.
Having stayed at both properties and a number of others the Sheraton is a superior property for so many reasons and in my top 5 hands down.Even pre spg circa 1995
Though getting a suite upgrade for more than one or two nights can be tricky.The hotel has a just ok record over the past 10 years
It has gotten better in the past 18 months but now with Bontoy anything could change
The Sheraton renovation was surprisingly successful and looks great though bathrooms are mostly original vintage yet still nice
The fitness center is excellent
The property feels more luxurious and peaceful
Great views from upper floors
There is fair cooperation on late checkout for elites

The Hilton is satisfactory though doesn't do enough for elites and the hard product inferior IMHO though I'm sure someone will disagree
The Sheraton Club lounge is nice but I usually take the buffet ala carte selections in the restaurant and pay the slight up-charge as I like the selection better
Many are happy with the club as is
I avoid the Hilton at all costs and I'm Diamond for over 20 years

Other advice both properties play unusually massive games with revenue rooms/yield management
keeping prices artificially sky high high in advance of the stay and getting guests to fall for outrageously higher prepaid non refundable rates
Whatever you do wait till the last week or at least 10 days or less before pulling the trigger on non refundable bookings or any other rate plan.
As that's when the fair pricing comes into play just days or week of arrival.
I almost never do non refundable
Hilton games the system on award bookings especially in season as well as revenue hoping a hungry Diamond will fall into the trap! Many do
Unless a major event or convention is in town don't fall victim
My 25 years booking in Sydney gives me the historical wisdom to know exactly what I need to pay and whats reasonable based on time frame and whats in town
MasterGeek and RafKa like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.