Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Please don't get me wrong.

Marriott Hyde Park is virtually CDB, and is simply at one END of Oxford Street - the prime gay drag in SYD. That street winds up into Paddington, away from the city.

What I am trying to say this Marriott is not smack in the centre of the SFO Castro District type deal.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 7:23 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Ozstamps, thanks for the valuable info. A friend and I were planning on staying at the Harbour Marriott but are considering changing to Hyde Park instead. We didn't realize it was in the gay area of Sydney. While this is a factor, it is not the overriding factor so a couple other questions are in order. Do they have a lounge at Hyde Park Marriott, and is the lounge food and drink offering similar to that of the Harbour Marriott? Thanks in advance for the info.

Another factor is that Hyde Park/Oxford street Marriott does not have a Spa; whereas Harbour Marriott does.
The (Hyde Park) Sydney Marriott on College St. (built about 1993) is less formal then the downtown. The Harbour Marriott used to be a different hotel chain and management was shifted to Marriott about 3 -4 years ago.

The (Hyde Park) Marriott has a roof top pool (with great views around the city). It has a co-ed jacuzzi, steam room and sauna and small gym on the roof top as well. It also has coin laundry on the garage level. Plus if you were to get a car it does have pay parking (sometimes the parking is included in the weekend rate).

The conceirge level (mid week) lounge has food and free drinks as I recall.

The rooms are less formal with a kitchen unit - under counter refrig, microwave, small sink, and a set of dishes. Toaster and hot water maker as well. Most of the bathrooms are very large with large corner tubs.

If you plan to go to the Rocks (restaurant area near habor), tourist restaurants, take day trips on the ferry boats to say Manly Beach or Watson Bay, etc., see the downtown sites, etc. and likely go to bed early, then the Harbour Marriott is for you.

If you plan to tour all over the city, go to China town, go to the site of World's fair, go all over downtown (you can simply walk across Hyde Park to downtown), and you like to stay out late and go to pubs, then the Original Marriott on College St is for you. Many of the bars on Oxford St. have gone straight and the area is very trendy. So if you want early evening pubs and late night bars and dance clubs (either straight or gay) then the Hyde Park Marriott is for you. The train stop is a block away across the park, but then the rate is high so for 2 best to take a cab.

Last edited by cova; Aug 30, 2005 at 7:26 am
Old Aug 30, 2005, 7:47 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
cova, thanks for the info. BTW, I live in NoVA and the friend and former housemate who is joining me on this 2 month ATW, of which Sydney is a few days, now lives in IND.

My inclination is the Harbour Marriott, as it appears to be nicer, with nicer lounge and it does have a Spa. Also it does not appear to be that far away from Oxford street (15 blocks perhaps?) and we can always cab it to and fro a night or two; or walk over and cab it back. My friend is pondering his decision in this regard, so time will tell.

Another plus for Sydney Harbour Marriott is that it has a rental car desk whereas the Sydney Marriott does not according to Marriott.com. This is a factor since we may well rent a car for a day.

Thanks again to everybody for the good info.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Add my vote to the count for the Harbour Marriott.
Stayed there in May and I couldn't believe it was only a Cat. 5 hotel. It was by far the best one I stayed at so far. The lounge staff is excellent. And it's very close to a lot of places as others have mentioned.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:37 am

Programs: US3, WN, UA, AA, CO
The Sydney Harbour Marriott used to be a Renaissance. In the conversion it went from a franchised property to one managed by Marriott.

I suggest taking the harbor ferry to Taronga Zoo--I spent a half day just seeing the native animals (and getting my picture taken with the koalas for AUD 3!). You also get a great view of the Sydney skyline from there.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
Harbour Marriott

There is no question. Stay at the Harbour Marriott on Pitt Street.

I stay there every few months and they treat me extraordinarily well. The lounge is second in the world (IMHO) only to Singapore, by a very narrow margin.

Just don't take my favorite (upgraded) room!
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:43 pm

Which Marriott in Sydney?

Just wondering what Marriott ppl think I should stay in in Sydney.

I'm taking my girlfriend there for a weekend away so I'd like it to be nice.

So should I stay at the Sydney Harbour Marriott or the Sydney Marriott hotel?

Hope some ppl can help me out there.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:59 pm
Community Director Emerita

dickieH, have a look at this thread. If you've got a specific question after reading it, you might want to post it on that thread.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:51 am

thanks very much

I admit I forgot about the search option so I apologise for the thread.

Feel free to delete it if you like as the other topic covers all the info that I was after thanks
Old Oct 25, 2005, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Harbor Marriott is fabulous, especially if you can get lounge access (gorgeous views). Location of Harbor Marriott is arguably better than the other Marriott, but both are close to major bus routes.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by dickieH
Just wondering what Marriott ppl think I should stay in in Sydney.

I'm taking my girlfriend there for a weekend away so I'd like it to be nice.

So should I stay at the Sydney Harbour Marriott or the Sydney Marriott hotel?

Hope some ppl can help me out there.
IMHO the Syd Harb property (old Renaissance on Pitt St) has a better location (right at Circular Quay, 5 min walk to the Rocks or Opera House) for "tourist" activities. The Syd Marr (College St) on the other hand is right across the street from Hyde Park, and closer to museums, Paddington, Oxford St, etc. It also has a fabulous rooftop pool with a spectacular view.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 3:05 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
Harbour Marriott !!

It is really simple: SYDNEY HARBOUR MARRIOTT!

You can look at my previous posts for details, but I am not revealing my favorite room for upgrades because I love it! The concierge lounge has some of the best views in the world and the folks that work there are fabulous.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What is the best way to get from the airport to the Harbour Marriott? Is there a train stop near by?
Good question. But this Marriott page:

https://marriott.com/property/propertypage/SYDCC

says it has airport shuttles. Anyone know anything more about whether this is complimentary or how to make arrangements in advance for this service?
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Good question. But this Marriott page:

https://marriott.com/property/propertypage/SYDCC

says it has airport shuttles. Anyone know anything more about whether this is complimentary or how to make arrangements in advance for this service?
This page links to the "other" Sydney Marriott, not the Harbour Marriott. Either way, the "maps & transportation" page on that site shows a AUD$9 shuttle service fee.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 5:51 am

Shuttle Service Fee to Sydney Harbour Marriott

Originally Posted by dave_261
This page links to the "other" Sydney Marriott, not the Harbour Marriott. Either way, the "maps & transportation" page on that site shows a AUD$9 shuttle service fee.
I think you meant AUD$95 for the shuttle service fee. See link: http://marriott.com/search/mapAndNea...rshaCode=SYDMC

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.