Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Old Jan 20, 2003, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Not the Ren. I was there in November. Renovations galore which limited access to facilities, but worse was the staff. Mixups on check-in, on laundry, on billing at checkout. I found them to be the least competent hotel staff of all I encountered in Australia in that visit.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Sydney, AU - Marriott or Renaissance

Hey travel gurus,

I will be in Sydney in the 2nd week of April. Trying to decide if I should (reward) stay at the Marriott or the Renaissance.

The Renaissance, I might add, is undergoing renovations, and is therefore on the Spring Pointsavers list. But, if (??) the Marriott is REALLY good, I can pay the extra points for it.

Can somebody compare the two hotels for me, please?

Thanks in advance! :-)

RG
Old Mar 8, 2003, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Marriott is located at the north-east end of Hyde Park at the corner of Oxford Street. It is more 'central' but rooms are nothing fantastic. I thought they would have at least renovated them prior Olympics but alas no. Bathrooms are nice with a very odd shaped bath big enough for two. All rooms have kitchenettes.

Renaissance is to be rebranded as a Marriott. The Marriott sign is already on the top of the building. This property is newer even without the renovations. It is located by The Rocks so lots of happenings, restaurants and galleries.

I think the latter would be a better choice especially if it is on PointsSavers.
Old Mar 9, 2003, 10:42 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Thank you! I also found similar postings from 2002, which said Renaissance was better.

-RG
Old Mar 10, 2003, 9:32 pm

Even if the Ren is under renovations, its locations make it the better choice by far. Try to get a club level room with an opera/harbour view.

Enjoy,
-Zombie-
Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:37 am

Programs: Air Canada, United, Continental, Hyatt, Marriott, Starwood
Which Marriott Property in Sydney, Australia?

I am headed to Sydney, Australia in September for a friend's wedding and wanted to book my hotel stay at a Marriott. Which one should I stay at?

I have never been to Sydney before. I like to shop and go to restaurants and I do use the Concierge and Health Club services at any hotel I stay at.

Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 21, 2005, 7:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Originally Posted by champagnekisses
I am headed to Sydney, Australia in September for a friend's wedding and wanted to book my hotel stay at a Marriott. Which one should I stay at?

I have never been to Sydney before. I like to shop and go to restaurants and I do use the Concierge and Health Club services at any hotel I stay at.

Thanks for the help!
Definitely the Sydney Harbor Marriott on Pitt Road...perfect location on Circular Quay, outstanding service.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:12 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, AA Gold, MR Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond
Sydney Harbour Marriott

Agreed -- this one is a no-brainer. Stay at the Harbour Marriott. Walking distance to nearly everything, and the executive lounge staff (especially Lydia) are among the best in the Marriott chain!
Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:16 am

Programs: Co Plat - Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IrieDame
Definitely the Sydney Harbor Marriott on Pitt Road...perfect location on Circular Quay, outstanding service.
I will 3rd that. The Harbor Marriott is 5 star and the other one is 4 star. The food in the lounge is outstanding and drinks are complmentary. One of the best Marriotts I have stayed at!
Old Mar 22, 2005, 2:56 pm

Programs: Air Canada, United, Continental, Hyatt, Marriott, Starwood
Thank you! Glad I could ask such an easy question!! I appreciate your responses!
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
SYD Marriott finishes stage one of refurbishment

The Sydney Marriott Hotel has completed stage one of an extensive refurbishment programme, reopening its eight upgraded conference rooms and the first floor of its new-look guestrooms.

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news05/134-Sydney.shtml
Old Aug 29, 2005, 3:06 am
Community Director Emerita

What is the best way to get from the airport to the Harbour Marriott? Is there a train stop near by?
Old Aug 29, 2005, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
The "original" Marriott on Hyde Park is well placed for lots of things depending on what you want to do. It is on Oxford Street - the gay centre of Sydney, with stacks of restaurants etc. It it across Hyde Park from Sheraton On The Park, but it is admittedly a little bit out of the tourist beat unless Oxford Street is what you are here for.

The Circular Quay one on Pitt STREET, is near the Opera House, the Bridge, and historic 'The Rocks' shopping and restaurant era etc.

The Circular Quay train station very close by is where to catch a train to domestic airport, altho a cab is only about double train fare, which is ridiculously pricey by world standards, and is heavily under patronized as a result. 2 persons is a slowish train is not a great option to Airport.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 7:05 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Ozstamps, thanks for the valuable info. A friend and I were planning on staying at the Harbour Marriott but are considering changing to Hyde Park instead. We didn't realize it was in the gay area of Sydney. While this is a factor, it is not the overriding factor so a couple other questions are in order. Do they have a lounge at Hyde Park Marriott, and is the lounge food and drink offering similar to that of the Harbour Marriott? Thanks in advance for the info.

Another factor is that Hyde Park/Oxford street Marriott does not have a Spa; whereas Harbour Marriott does.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Aug 29, 2005 at 7:22 am
Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:01 am

I can't comment on the Hyde Park Marriott, but I thought the concierge lounge at the Sydney Harbor was fabulous. Nothing beats a window view of the harbor with some sushi and a nice a glass of wine ^ ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.