Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Old May 21, 2012, 4:30 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Correct, Accor has bought 48 hotels from Mirvac for $255 million or so, deal closing June 30, 2012. Accor is acquiring management of the Sydney Marriott (by Hyde Park) and the North Ryde Courtyard, but not the Harbour Marriott. Rebranding as Accor is a given, and Pullman is likely given that they already have a nice Sofitel in Sydney. However these Marriotts were never luxury
Old May 21, 2012, 9:46 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Marriott Forum.
Thanks,
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old May 21, 2012, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Anyone have dates on the deflagging? I'll note it in the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
When it happens, will be the death of the Courtyard brand (no real loss I guess but..) in Australia and down to just 4 properties overall, quite sad..

I should note that the others (except Surfers Paradise which was sold by the same property fund a few years ago) are up for sale by their property fund currently as well, the consortium that looks likely to win has existing Marriott properties in Malaysia so hopefully they will keep them Marriott flagged.

http://blogs.wsj.com/dealjournalaust...rriott-hotels/
Old May 21, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: Qantas FF, Krisworld, Virgin, Emirates, Starwood, AClub, Hilton
Many thanks. I'm hoping they will refurbish the rest of the hotel because looking on Trip Advisor it suggests that half the hotel has been refurbished and the other half hasn't been done. The Pullman at Sydney Olympic Park is a fantastic hotel, so I'm hoping they will create something like that because the Marriott has a great location, just needs that standard of rooms.
Old May 22, 2012, 3:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I got an email saying effective May 22, 2012, the hotel is being changed to Pullman. I'm planning to cancel and book another hotel as no MR points or elite benefits. No need to stay at the hotel for me.
Old May 22, 2012, 4:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
why not just rebook at Cicular Quay and get all your beneees.......... EASY to get to with airport express

Originally Posted by Time traveller
I got an email saying effective May 22, 2012, the hotel is being changed to Pullman. I'm planning to cancel and book another hotel as no MR points or elite benefits. No need to stay at the hotel for me.
Old May 22, 2012, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
why not just rebook at Cicular Quay and get all your beneees.......... EASY to get to with airport express
There is a $100 per night difference between the rate I booked for the Sydney Marriott and what Circular Quay is showing for their current rate. Otherwise I would book the MCQ in a heartbeat.
Old May 22, 2012, 5:18 am
Suspended

since you have a valid booking at the SYD Marriott, get them to pay the difference................. or, due to their unilateral deflagging they should be able to get you a same rate at CQ as you had before (BTW, before writing my previous I made a dummy booking and Marriott Circular Quay was AUD20 less then the Marriott)

There is a $100 per night difference between the rate I booked for the Sydney Marriott and what Circular Quay is showing for their current rate. Otherwise I would book the MCQ in a heartbeat.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:40 pm

I cancelled my booking at the former Sydney Marriott online and it no longer shows up on "My Reservations". However no cancellation confirmation email was received. Do I need to call the new Pullman hotel to confirm that my reservation has been cancelled?
Old May 22, 2012, 10:48 pm
Suspended

don't see why as you made & CXLed your Marriott res never having made one with Pullman/Accor

BTW, earlier this year I was due to stay at the refurbished Hyatt, but they were late in reopening so they put me, at their expense, at the MCQ.......... that's kinda opposite of being deflagged, but same/similar "compensation" should be available to you........
and this coming July I had a booking for the Hua Hin Marriott which decided to deflag 6-weeks earlier then scheduled and screwed up my stay........... they put an equivalent number of RP's into my acc't to stay at another Marriott for the 2-nights that no longer would be available..........

I cancelled my booking at the former Sydney Marriott online and it no longer shows up on "My Reservations". However no cancellation confirmation email was received. Do I need to call the new Pullman hotel to confirm that my reservation has been cancelled?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 5:27 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Plat, PAL Mabuhay Miles, Delta Skymiles, Asia Miles
since you have a valid booking at the SYD Marriott, get them to pay the difference................. or, due to their unilateral deflagging they should be able to get you a same rate at CQ as you had before (BTW, before writing my previous I made a dummy booking and Marriott Circular Quay was AUD20 less then the Marriott)
I have the same case as the thread owner, I just sent a complaint for not getting any notification of the rebranding and asked to be transferred to CQ. Hope to get a positive response.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Discovered that my reservation at the Sydney Marriott was cancelled (before reading this thread). I received no notification at all.

I called reservations and they indicated that it was deflagged on May 30th - rather quickly. I asked if my rate could be converted to the CQ and after several calls by agent to supervisor etc - the answer was NO.

The CQ is as pointed out about $100 more. However the SM had been about the same rate more recently as the CQ - it is just that my rates were booked 11 months in advance when the cheaper rate was available.

Marriott would do nothing. Really bad on Marriott part not to call me or email me about this. Marriott would do nothing.

Marriott did call the hotel (now Pullman) and confirmed that I have the old reservation at the same rates at the Pullman.

However, as a Marriott Platinum - I would get no benefits at this Pullman hotel.

Poorly handled.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:13 pm
Suspended

legally speaking, IMO the actions of the Sydney Marriott is termed "anticapatory breach" of Contract for which you do have rights and a damage claim..........

poorly handled in an UNDER statement.............. I recall what Starwood did earlier this year when the Westin Auckland was forced to deflag and the way Marriott is handling this deflagging really is "low""

Originally Posted by cova
Discovered that my reservation at the Sydney Marriott was cancelled (before reading this thread). I received no notification at all.

I called reservations and they indicated that it was deflagged on May 30th - rather quickly. I asked if my rate could be converted to the CQ and after several calls by agent to supervisor etc - the answer was NO.

The CQ is as pointed out about $100 more. However the SM had been about the same rate more recently as the CQ - it is just that my rates were booked 11 months in advance when the cheaper rate was available.

Marriott would do nothing. Really bad on Marriott part not to call me or email me about this. Marriott would do nothing.

Marriott did call the hotel (now Pullman) and confirmed that I have the old reservation at the same rates at the Pullman.

However, as a Marriott Platinum - I would get no benefits at this Pullman hotel.

Poorly handled.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Have to agree - poorly handled is an understatement. Follow up w/ Marriott HQ. Good luck.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.