Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
As of June 2023, evening service is in the 2nd floor Lobby Lounge, and breakfast is served in The Cafe - main hotel restaurant - for all Plat+ Elite guests.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by abk
From your list of hotels up thread it appears you tend to stay all over town. As for Causeway Bay and Mong Kok you have picked to of the most crowded parts of Hong Kong.
I've been traveling to Hong Kong for nearly 20 years, and yes I have stayed all over. But I never said I don't like crowds. I hope I made it clear that I don't like being hassled or what I would loosely describe as attacked by the touts on that small stretch of Nathan road. And I see that I'm not the only one here who has that complaint.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Well I could hardly think of anyone who enjoys that kind of behaviour
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
In the middle of a stay in a Towers room now and I supposed I over spoke when I said my favorite. I think that came from a time when I was just excited to be out of China and in HK, even with all of the HK "pleasantries" listed above. I do love the staff in the Towers Lounge, and for me the location is what I like the best for this hotel. Due to its location on the subway. Although, I have stayed in some Westin's and W's around Asia that make this place seem like a fairly basic hotel.

Although I will say I am a little disappointed with the renovation that just happened on the Towers floor. Not impressed for how much noise there was last time I was here, and how long it was closed.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:16 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by 248N8
In the middle of a stay in a Towers room now and I supposed I over spoke when I said my favorite. I think that came from a time when I was just excited to be out of China and in HK, even with all of the HK "pleasantries" listed above. I do love the staff in the Towers Lounge, and for me the location is what I like the best for this hotel. Due to its location on the subway. Although, I have stayed in some Westin's and W's around Asia that make this place seem like a fairly basic hotel.

Although I will say I am a little disappointed with the renovation that just happened on the Towers floor. Not impressed for how much noise there was last time I was here, and how long it was closed.
No upgrades to a Towers Harbour view room or suite?

I was there last weekend and was upgraded to an Executive Suite from a Harbour View room (both non-Towers) after asking the FrontDesk. Also managed to get my Room Service breakfast comped as my flight was early morning (before the Cafe restaurant opened).

You were there last weekend? Me too, I checked in on the saturday and left on sunday. Was at the Platinum Lounge around the afternoon while waiting for my room and during cocktail hours.

Last edited by lcpteck; Feb 10, 2015 at 2:23 am
Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lcpteck
No upgrades to a Towers Harbour view room or suite?

I was there last weekend and was upgraded to an Executive Suite from a Harbour View room (both non-Towers) after asking the FrontDesk. Also managed to get my Room Service breakfast comped as my flight was early morning (before the Cafe restaurant opened).

You were there last weekend? Me too, I checked in on the saturday and left on sunday. Was at the Platinum Lounge around the afternoon while waiting for my room and during cocktail hours.
I was already in a Tower's Deluxe Harbor View room so there wasn't much to upgrade me to at that point, but I didn't ask either. Never made it down to the Plat Lounge on this stay since we didn't have much time, but did spend a bit of time in the Towers Lounge.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:13 pm

My wife and I will be in HK at the tail end of a 2 week vacation. We're looking to explore the city, especially the food. I'm looking to use points for this trip so am currently booked at the W as that looked to be the nicest hotel. However, after reading here, seems like you get a better location with the Sheraton. What i'm trying to understand is how good the location is for the Sheraton. Is it so good that it's in the heart of the city and you can walk everywhere? (My wife and I love walking around cities and trying out food). Or it is it more convenient, but still will require a decent amount of taxis and subways. Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: AC 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by FamilyMan2222
My wife and I will be in HK at the tail end of a 2 week vacation. We're looking to explore the city, especially the food. I'm looking to use points for this trip so am currently booked at the W as that looked to be the nicest hotel. However, after reading here, seems like you get a better location with the Sheraton. What i'm trying to understand is how good the location is for the Sheraton. Is it so good that it's in the heart of the city and you can walk everywhere? (My wife and I love walking around cities and trying out food). Or it is it more convenient, but still will require a decent amount of taxis and subways. Thanks!
Yes, don't even need to think about it. Sheraton. It's that good.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:25 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Sheraton, for sure.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:37 pm

Call or chat to SPG and see whether you can book the Towers room as a Premium room redemption. For the small difference in points (2,500 per night, IIRC) you get the Towers lounge access including evening cocktails with a great view, and a much better overall experience (i.e. check-in and out at the lounge and avoiding the zoo-like lobby).
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Other than the abusive street hawkers mentioned above, yes the Sheraton's location is great for a first time visitor who wants to walk around. Note that this is Kowloon and not Central Hong Kong. You can take the Star Ferry across the bay to Central (which everyone should do at least once), or a taxi, or the fastest and easiest way is by metro/subway. You can also take the metro in the other direction and explore Mong Kok, etc.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
... However, after reading here, seems like you get a better location with the Sheraton. What i'm trying to understand is how good the location is for the Sheraton. Is it so good that it's in the heart of the city and you can walk everywhere? (My wife and I love walking around cities and trying out food). Or it is it more convenient, but still will require a decent amount of taxis and subways. Thanks!
Both the W and the Sheraton are in Kowloon, on the mainland, NOT on Hong Kong Island. If you want to go to Central you will need transportation (MTR, taxi, Star Ferry). The W is atop a chique and expensive shopping center, the Sheraton is on the corner of Nathan Road, with its cheap shops and tourist touts selling fake Rolex watches (but you can walk further for more decent shops). You would need transportation to Kowloon's famous street markets from either one of them. For cheap, delicious food try the new version of Tim Ho Wan in Olympian City Mall (Tai Kok Tsuj, Kowloon side); for expensive, delicious food try Lung King Heen in the Four Seasons (HK side). Both require strategies to get in. For Tim Ho Wan try going at odd times to avoid long waits; reservations required at Lung King Heen, especially for dim sum.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by ajnaro
Both the W and the Sheraton are in Kowloon, on the mainland, NOT on Hong Kong Island. If you want to go to Central you will need transportation (MTR, taxi, Star Ferry). The W is atop a chique and expensive shopping center, the Sheraton is on the corner of Nathan Road, with its cheap shops and tourist touts selling fake Rolex watches (but you can walk further for more decent shops). You would need transportation to Kowloon's famous street markets from either one of them. For cheap, delicious food try the new version of Tim Ho Wan in Olympian City Mall (Tai Kok Tsuj, Kowloon side); for expensive, delicious food try Lung King Heen in the Four Seasons (HK side). Both require strategies to get in. For Tim Ho Wan try going at odd times to avoid long waits; reservations required at Lung King Heen, especially for dim sum.
Thanks everyone. I kept hearing about the Sheraton's better location, however comments such as the above ("you would need transportation for Kowloon's famous street markets from either one of them" and "cheap shops and tourists touts" make me wonder if we'd should go with the W. I have ambassador status and SNAs, so wondering if the upside of a pretty great suite is worth the location of the W if we'd have to get transportation at both places. I've never been in a Sheraton outside of the US, so I'm picturing a sleek big market W vs a Sheraton in small town USA which is probably not a fair comparison as well. This will be the end of a 2 week 10-year anniversary trip so want to make it nice. (However, am sticking with SPG here even though I know other options are better)
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:03 am

Thanks everyone. I kept hearing about the Sheraton's better location, however comments such as the above ("you would need transportation for Kowloon's famous street markets from either one of them" and "cheap shops and tourists touts" make me wonder if we'd should go with the W. )
Which is why you need to read more, and avoid sensationalism posts here.

Now, if you are a taxi guy, W will be a good choice. It's on top of a chic mall but really nothing else. You are NO WHERE CLOSE to a metro stop by walking distance, so you pretty much have to take a taxi to get wherever you wanted to go (unless you don't mind walking 15 minutes to a metro stop, with not much shops around pretty much boring walking through a bunch of constructions).

Sheraton has a better location is not wrong. They are not around "cheap shops", they are around all the shops you would expect in Hong Kong. Great for walking and seeing the local culture. Also, Sheraton is literally right on top the red line, which is the most popular metro line in HK that takes you everywhere, and with easy connection to other places on Hong Kong Island, or go north to Mangkok, etc. Or the easy access to bus stops that takes you to most of Hong Kong (if you know which lines to take).

W is newer, chic, but it is NOT better location wise, not by a long shot.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:24 am

Thanks everyone. I kept hearing about the Sheraton's better location, however comments such as the above ("you would need transportation for Kowloon's famous street markets from either one of them" and "cheap shops and tourists touts" make me wonder if we'd should go with the W. I have ambassador status and SNAs, so wondering if the upside of a pretty great suite is worth the location of the W if we'd have to get transportation at both places. I've never been in a Sheraton outside of the US, so I'm picturing a sleek big market W vs a Sheraton in small town USA which is probably not a fair comparison as well. This will be the end of a 2 week 10-year anniversary trip so want to make it nice. (However, am sticking with SPG here even though I know other options are better)
don't overthink it---for a first timer--its the SHERATON

Last edited by ezron; Feb 23, 2015 at 10:09 am Reason: be more clear
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The W is a much better hotel in just about every way. The suites are very nice and many of them have excellent views. And the location is good in two respects. One is the direct Airport express train and the other is a nice shopping mall if that's your thing. Other than that, as stated above you have to take taxis everywhere. Which we did when we stayed there and it wasn't a problem. There are always taxis lined up outside the hotel.

The Sheraton's two advantages are that it is cheaper and better located for walking around the Tsim Tsa Tsui area. It is certainly nicer than just about any US Sheraton, but hotels in Hong Kong really raise the bar and the Sheraton is a much lesser hotel that what the other chains offer. Starwood brought in the very nice W, but still lacks a great hotel on the island. And where are their other brands? They could even bring in some FP's, Aloft's etc. Why not a nice high end Westin? I know many will answer with the Tower wing, but that doesn't answer what Hilton, Marriott, IHG, etc., have in Hong Kong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.