Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Hotel San Francisco [Master Thread]

W Hotel San Francisco [Master Thread]

Old Mar 4, 07, 5:46 pm
Suspended

very imformative and detailed trip report. thanks.

although:

1) as mentioned previously, dirty glasses in the room are most certainly housekeeping's issue. you shouldn't have been passes around, however. the first person you rang should have taken care of the situation.

2) upgrades are available to platinums at check-in (and not before).

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer..._platinum.html

3) there are existing threads on this property. perhaps this trip report could have been attached to one of those threads (for housekeeping purposes).
Old Mar 4, 07, 7:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks View Post
although:

1) as mentioned previously, dirty glasses in the room are most certainly housekeeping's issue. you shouldn't have been passes around, however. the first person you rang should have taken care of the situation.

2) upgrades are available to platinums at check-in (and not before).

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer..._platinum.html

3) there are existing threads on this property. perhaps this trip report could have been attached to one of those threads (for housekeeping purposes).
I asked for an upgrade at check-in - had emailed ahead of time to ensure that all of my bookings had my status noted as appropriate.

Again, I think that no matter what "group" you may be in - take care of the customer. Don't just say "call somebody else" and hang up. At least have the courtesy of transferring to the right department.

The reason this was started as a separate post is because I looked for the W SF thread (most recent) and it was about "Poor Service at the W SF" This was not inline with that type of thread post.
Old Mar 4, 07, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Idsant,sorry about your less than wonderful stay at the W San Francisco.I was at the Palace that same weekend-attending the convention that was based at the W.
I had walked through the W a couple of weekends before-and the frigid(we are talking below freezing)attitude that the staff dispalyed made me glad I was staying at the Palace-where I was upgraded to a nice suite BTW.
Perhaps one of the W SF boosters would be good enough to forward a link to this thread to the GM of this property.
Old Mar 4, 07, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA-1K, CO-Elite, SPG-Platinum, Hertz 5*
I'm surprised by this. I stayed there about a month and a half ago and my wife and I thought it was great. Stayed in the new tower 2 floors from the top. When I checked in I told them my wife had never been to SF before so they upgraded the room and had sent up champagne and strawberries. Room was clean and no service issues

Just my $.02
Old Mar 4, 07, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ldsant View Post
Again, I think that no matter what "group" you may be in - take care of the customer. Don't just say "call somebody else" and hang up. At least have the courtesy of transferring to the right department.
ummm....i agreed with you on this point, no?
Old Mar 12, 07, 9:53 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT LIFE, SPG Platinum, LHW LC, Fairmont PC
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena View Post
Idsant,sorry about your less than wonderful stay at the W San Francisco.I was at the Palace that same weekend-attending the convention that was based at the W.
I had walked through the W a couple of weekends before-and the frigid(we are talking below freezing)attitude that the staff dispalyed made me glad I was staying at the Palace-where I was upgraded to a nice suite BTW.
Perhaps one of the W SF boosters would be good enough to forward a link to this thread to the GM of this property.
Ditto. I was staying at the Palace at the same time (my first time as a Platinum--although I routinely stay there). I was also upgraded to a nice suite and the service was very good. I always use there room service and there was always free water in the SPG rooms.
Old Mar 13, 07, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, HH Diam, SPG Plat
All Ws - smoke and mirrors

I echo the vote for a real hotel like the Place over the pretentiousness of the W. Every W hotel is a mastery of smoke and mirrors.

The W staff is all about "whatever" alright. That's what they seem to say when you make a complaint. If you're not "cool" enough in their eyes, you're dismissed. They think they have a luxury hotel but wouldn't have a clue what luxury is.

Slapping black and purple paint everywhere is not luxury.
Old Mar 13, 07, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by ldsant View Post
. . . I am of the belief that when a customer has any kind of concern or needs something it doesn't matter who you are - you take care of it . . .
That is the key to good customer service. Don't pass the buck.....take care of it or arrange for someone else to take of the problem. Don't make the customer take extra steps to address and correct a problem.
Old Mar 13, 07, 2:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by kevinsac View Post
...Don't pass the buck.....take care of it or arrange for someone else to take of the problem. Don't make the customer take extra steps to address and correct a problem.
While conceptually I agree, this isn't always possible. I don't think that we should have an expectation that the janitor at a Department store tell me where to locate the Hugo Boss suits.
Old Mar 13, 07, 3:19 pm

Programs: AC 50K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Next time use a SPG50 and stay at the St. Regis next door Plats often get Astor suites if you are lucky!
Old Mar 14, 07, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
I don't think that we should have an expectation that the janitor at a Department store tell me where to locate the Hugo Boss suits.
I understand your point, but a management that is truly dedicated to top-notch customer service will properly educate all staff that works in public areas as to the layout of the store, etc.

And whether or not the cleaning staff member intimately knows the store's merchandise, the staff member should be empowered to "take charge" and to personally take him over to a sales associates who can help him with his Hugo Boss needs
Old Mar 14, 07, 2:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Great report, Idsant. Thanks for sharing.

There's nothing wrong with e-mailing the hotel making sure they have your status/suite upgrade request on file. In fact, I think most Plats do (either through e-mail or the Plat concierge).

I always reply to the e-mail confirmation I receive where they ask if there's anything I they can do for you. I ask them to do do whatever is possible to hold a suite for my Plat upgrade as long as possible, it hasn't failed me this year.. I'm sure many guests contact the hotel about special occasions, when a few Plats do, the GM/Host should do everything possible to make it happen for Plats at check in.

BTW, fly co to see the yanks, I'm sure the moderator of the forum knows about the Platinum benefits
Old Mar 29, 07, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Plat, Hertz 5*Gold, MR Silver, Avis Preferred, AMEX Plat/SPG/DeltaPlat
Thumbs up W San Francisco

what's up guys

just checked in to the W san francisco on 3rd street, as a Gold member, well on to my way to plat status very soon

got upgraded even though the hotel was "sold out" to the 26th floor, upgraded room with a great view of the bay/downtown, AWESOME front desk staff, checked in with some guy named Dennis I think? He was awesome...this is a very nice hotel, rooms are a bit small, not a complaint though, its a downtown major city hotel so it can be expected!

good stuff! and with all the promotions, I'll be averaging about 5000-6000 pts just for this one night stay, AWESOME!
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Old Apr 3, 07, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, American Platinum
All of this gushing about the W San Francisco is unbelievable to me. As a Platinum member I have never received an upgrade to a suite and have only been given a corner room after much discussion with the front desk staff.

On my stay two weekends ago, they did not have my reservation when I checked in (not sure if this is the hotel's problem or Plat Concierge's problem). Thankfully they did have a room for me.

Upon check out, I was hit with a $10 package handling charge (for handling of a FedEx package that only cost $14 to get from Michigan to San Francisco!), was charged for my room service breakfast that was not cooked properly (was told it would be removed by Whatever/Whenever), and the rate was $40 more than quoted!

Took 25 minutes to check out as the Front Desk Manager would not believe me on the rate (they had to call Starwood to look up rates when I checked in). Very insulting. Was told that the package handling charge is STANDARD ACROSS STARWOOD - it obviously is not and the charge is not disclosed anywhere I can find.

The hotel manager did offer 1000 SPG points for my trouble.

Having stayed at the St Regis and the Le Meridien several times, I will definitely choose one of those over the W on my next stays in San Francisco.
Old Apr 3, 07, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by cohighcountry1k View Post
All of this gushing about the W San Francisco is unbelievable to me. As a Platinum member I have never received an upgrade to a suite and have only been given a corner room after much discussion with the front desk staff.

On my stay two weekends ago, they did not have my reservation when I checked in (not sure if this is the hotel's problem or Plat Concierge's problem). Thankfully they did have a room for me.

Upon check out, I was hit with a $10 package handling charge (for handling of a FedEx package that only cost $14 to get from Michigan to San Francisco!), was charged for my room service breakfast that was not cooked properly (was told it would be removed by Whatever/Whenever), and the rate was $40 more than quoted!

Took 25 minutes to check out as the Front Desk Manager would not believe me on the rate (they had to call Starwood to look up rates when I checked in). Very insulting. Was told that the package handling charge is STANDARD ACROSS STARWOOD - it obviously is not and the charge is not disclosed anywhere I can find.

The hotel manager did offer 1000 SPG points for my trouble.

Having stayed at the St Regis and the Le Meridien several times, I will definitely choose one of those over the W on my next stays in San Francisco.
You say that they did not have your reservation, did you have your information printed out?

I mean having proof of your reservation/rate with you at check in should be Standard Operating Procedure a regular traveler/FlyerTalker.

The FedEx package charges seem to be fairly common accross starwood properties as reported in a number of threads, but "uniform" is stretch though.

Search this Thread