Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in metro area of Detroit, MI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in metro area of Detroit, MI

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
If you have reciprocity, the Detroit Athletic Club is quite nice. Sometimes these private city clubs can be a bit dowdy, but because this is Detroit, the DAC is one of the best places to stay.
Old May 8, 2007, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by ohmark
A beautiful hotel, and reasonably priced too, for the competition.

I was surprised to see it's associated with "Summit Hotels." I had thought when I was there (10 years ago) that it was associated with the Intercontinental brand.

Greg
Old May 8, 2007, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Anything recent on this hotel? Favour on the past posts seems to be on the Courtyard, but the opinions in this thread (one of the most recent) seems to be shifting towards the FS property.

I stayed at this hotel back when it was a Westin in 1997. It was a run down piece of s*** back then. Hopefully things are much better now.

If no recent opinions, fear not. I'll probably be back and forth from Detroit over the next few months, so will probably try both the FS and the CY and provide reviews.

Greg
Old May 8, 2007, 1:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Greg...

In all seriousness, IMHO the best downtown Detroit hotels are the ones in Windsor. Unfortunately, however, none of them are Marriott Branded.

I personally like the Holiday Inn Select. Its on Huron Church Road, about five minutes from the bridge. Good restaurant onsite (and a beer store across the street!)
Old May 8, 2007, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Anything recent on this hotel? Favour on the past posts seems to be on the Courtyard, but the opinions in this thread (one of the most recent) seems to be shifting towards the FS property.

I stayed at this hotel back when it was a Westin in 1997. It was a run down piece of s*** back then. Hopefully things are much better now.

If no recent opinions, fear not. I'll probably be back and forth from Detroit over the next few months, so will probably try both the FS and the CY and provide reviews.

Greg
It is very different from when it was a Westin, complete redo, new lobby, new restaurant etc (things were shifted around the complex as GM was moving things around)
Old May 8, 2007, 8:55 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by socrates
It is very different from when it was a Westin, complete redo, new lobby, new restaurant etc (things were shifted around the complex as GM was moving things around)
I think it's the service, not the physical plant, that many feel is below Marriott standards.
Old May 25, 2007, 8:59 am

Stayed in Detroit the last two weeks, one week at the Marriott Ren Cen, one week at the Courtyard. Here's my impressions...

Marriott Ren Cen: Nice looking hotel - much improved from the Westin days. Rooms are pretty standard Marriott fare - no flat screen TVs but nice bedding.

The lounge was decent - good views across the river and the food was good. I had no service problems, and found both the front desk staff and the lobby concierge (who helped me with a cab across the river to Windsor airport) very friendly and helpful.

I like the airline check in machines at the front desk.

I was not pleased with the internet - $10.95 for wireless in the lobby / lounge, or $12.95 for wired in your room (including wireless in lobby and lounge). Seriously?

Courtyard Detroit Downtown: They didn't recognize me as a platnium when I checked in, and didn't give me a gift (which they did for a co-worker), but whatever.

Roomwise, It's a Courtyard. Bedding was okay, but a bit scratchy. The rooms are otherwise nice and sizable and the bathrooms are HUGE with very nice showers.

The gym and spa (which I think is shared with the Millender Center Apartments) is huge, and wasn't very busy when I was in there. Lots of machines, free weights, an aerobics rooms, sauna, pool, tennis courts and a running track. The best gym I think I have ever seen attached to a hotel.

Location is good for the Ren Cen, with attached walkway to the building.

Free internet, always a plus (especially seeing as I get no internet access at my client, and thus have a LOT of emails to catch up on at the end of the day. *sigh* I might need to get a blackberry soon - ugh).

Overall, the Courtyard seems a better value, even with having to pony up dough for breakfast.

Cheers,
Greg
Old Jul 5, 2007, 9:48 am

Courtyard Detroit Downtown: They didn't recognize me as a platnium when I checked in, and didn't give me a gift (which they did for a co-worker), but whatever.
I have had two additional stays since writing this one, and would like to point out that the Courtyard has recognized me as a guest and given me a gift both times since, so I'll excuse this one slip up.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:36 am

I have had two additional stays since writing this one, and would like to point out that the Courtyard has recognized me as a guest and given me a gift both times since, so I'll excuse this one slip up.
But, are the sheets still scratchy?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:35 pm

But, are the sheets still scratchy?
Yes, but I find that at all Courtyards. I think perhaps I am just like the Princess in the story of the Princess and the Pea Pod. But more manly than a princess .
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton HHonors
I'm with Cyberdad, that Holiday Inn Select is only 5 years old and a very, very short hop across the border. Beats staying downtown Detroit but I admit that area has improved...
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Nothing wrong with the downtown CY for the price -- among other things the robot People Mover drives right through the building and will take you up to Comerica Park, etc. -- but the neighborhood is barren and blighted and does not feel entirely safe.

I also have enjoyed the Marriott out at DTW.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
but the neighborhood is barren and blighted and does not feel entirely safe.
It's a relatively safe area, although I could understand how a visitor might feel otherwise. I don't agree that the CY neighborhood is either barren or blighted. For a barren and blighted tour, try driving out of the downtown area on Grand River Avenue.

Last edited by ohmark; Jul 5, 2007 at 8:50 pm
Old Jul 5, 2007, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
It's a relatively safe area, altlhough I could understand how a visitor might feel otherwise. I don't agree that the CY neighborhood is either barren or blighted. For a barren and blighted tour, try driving out of the downtown area on Grand River Avenue.
I have to 2nd everything Ohmark has said above
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Well, I appreciate your point of view re: blight. That was my perception, based on the absence of street traffic out front and the view from my high-floor window, which was block after block of abandoned buildings and vacant lots. Not exactly the Champs Elysees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.