Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in metro area of Detroit, MI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in metro area of Detroit, MI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Does anyone have any experience at the new Element (Metropolitan) or Aloft (David Whitney)? I'm thinking the Westin Book Cadillac is still the best option in downtown Detroit (especially as a Titanium who would have lounge access). But I thought I'd check with those with more recent experience.
Having stayed in all 5 Bonvoy downtown Detroit hotels, my review would be as follows (comparing the Detroit hotel to other “typical” USA hotels of that same chain):

Westin Book Cadillac- On par with most other Westin hotels. Located in a nicely restored historic building. It has a nice lounge, indoor pool/spa, and excellent attached restaurant (Roast) that non-hotel guests also come eat at (aka, you may need reservations to eat dinner there). But in general, very much a standard Westin with the differences mentioned.

Marriott RenCen- Very large Marriott (1200 rooms I think?). Upper floor (floors 50-70) rooms have amazing views. Room sizes are a bit small. Otherwise very standard Marriott. With 1200 rooms, don’t expect any personal touches as there are hundreds of Titanium members there on any given night. No pool, but nice fitness room. Also surprised this hotel hasn’t been branded as a Marriott Marquis, as it has that type of feel.

Courtyard Millender Center- Even though I have nothing bad to say, this is my least favorite of the five hotels. Most of that is due to myself not being a fan of the Courtyard brand (and this hotel is pretty much a standard courtyard in all facets). The attached restaurant is an Applebees/IHOP. Like all Courtyards, don’t expect to get any good Bonvoy benefits. It is well connected to the People Mover, and has small indoor pool and hot tub.

Aloft (Whitney Bldg) - The building and lobby are breathtaking architecturally. Great location, well connected to People Mover. Really surprised Aloft was chosen as the brand for this location, as this is arguably the most beautiful hotel in the city. The rooms themselves are very much renovated to resemble your standard Aloft rooms, and the breakfast store and bar area are of the same format as any other Aloft. But the beautifully restored historical building makes you wonder why they didn’t go for a more upscale brand (or at least a W). Most Alofts are typically dark and exposed concrete, which is the exact opposite of this historical gem.

Element (Metropolitan Bldg) - This is basically your typical Element hotel placed in a beautifully restored old building. It has the best location of the 5 hotels in terms of surrounding shops and restaurants, and amazing views from the rooftop bar. Being in a weirdly shaped building, some of the rooms are unique in shape but are still plenty spacious. Most of the rooms themselves do not have great city views, but have the extra features and kitchenettes. Overall, a very nice Element hotel.

As far as Bonvoy Elite perks, all 5 basically give you what you would expect for that particular chain. All had good customer service. I would gladly stay at any of them again, but there are obviously differences depending on what aspects you value most.
flyingeph12 and solarbear like this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by kavok
Having stayed in all 5 Bonvoy downtown Detroit hotels, my review would be as follows
Thanks for this. Helpful, and interesting to read.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:07 pm
Suspended

The Dearborn Inn, A Marriott Hotel: Dump. Completely rundown. The owner (Ford) won't pay to renvoate it. Renovations are 5-7 years overdue. Was told 2 years ago it would be renovated by now. Returned again and still a dump. Management now has canned answers and spends a lot of time apologizing. They openly blame the owner for not renovating. Standard elite recognitiopn with nothing to compensate for the hotel being a dump.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I had a recent stay at the Baronette Renaissance in Novi and quite enjoyed the property. Elite recognition was quite good: top-floor rooms are key-card access only; there is no lounge but platinums and above can get free snacks at the marketplace in the lobby; breakfast (welcome amenity) and points (because of no lounge) were offered; and the breakfast is literally anything on the menu with no cap (including alcoholic drinks). Toasted Oak is actually a restaurant that it seems even the locals go to, and the hotel itself is right next to a pretty extensive mall. This is definitely now my preferred hotel when I need to be anywhere in the western-ish suburbs.

I haven't yet settled on a downtown hotel I really like. The Westin is fine but not especially memorable (besides being in a historic building). I did appreciate the lounge at the Westin. But I probably will try the Aloft or Element the next time I am downtown.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I had a recent stay at the Baronette Renaissance in Novi and quite enjoyed the property. Elite recognition was quite good: top-floor rooms are key-card access only; there is no lounge but platinums and above can get free snacks at the marketplace in the lobby; breakfast (welcome amenity) and points (because of no lounge) were offered; and the breakfast is literally anything on the menu with no cap (including alcoholic drinks). Toasted Oak is actually a restaurant that it seems even the locals go to, and the hotel itself is right next to a pretty extensive mall. This is definitely now my preferred hotel when I need to be anywhere in the western-ish suburbs.

I haven't yet settled on a downtown hotel I really like. The Westin is fine but not especially memorable (besides being in a historic building). I did appreciate the lounge at the Westin. But I probably will try the Aloft or Element the next time I am downtown.
Sheraton in Novi isnt bad. Cheaper than the Novi Renaissance with rates sometimes $85-$95 per night. Renaissance is like $125-$140 on a good wked. Sheraton location is marginally better because it has better surface street access and 275 is right there. Probably 15 minutes closer to downtown and airport. Traffic on 96 around Novi can get really bad esp. westbound after 3 PM on weekdays. Fully renovated except for gym. Not sure why so many hotels gut the rooms but forget the gym. I wish the Renaissance in Novi was next to the Somerset Mall as Twelve Oaks has gone downhill. Von Maur at Laurel Place in Livonia (older Marriott is built into the mall) is actually easier to get in and out of than Nordstroms or Macy's. About the same quality brands too. Just quieter and a little more civilized shopping experience especially on Saturdays when Twelve Oaks is a zoo. That Marriott in Livonia is another property needing a renovation. Supposedly next year it will be renovated but they've been saying that for 3 years. 15 minutes away in Southfield the Marriott there consistently has the cheapest rates of any Marriott property but even with the renovations it isnt that nice. Plus there just isnt anything to do in Southfield. Reminds me of the Marriott on Centerpoint in Auburn Hills. Some great rates but you have to drive 10-15 minutes to do anything. If you're driving everywhere you might as well stay elsewhere. BTW the Marriott in Troy was recently renovated but havent stayed there. It does have a free shuttle bus to Somerset.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by icanneverflyenough
Sheraton in Novi isnt bad. Cheaper than the Novi Renaissance with rates sometimes $85-$95 per night. Renaissance is like $125-$140 on a good wked. Sheraton location is marginally better because it has better surface street access and 275 is right there. Probably 15 minutes closer to downtown and airport. Traffic on 96 around Novi can get really bad esp. westbound after 3 PM on weekdays. Fully renovated except for gym. Not sure why so many hotels gut the rooms but forget the gym. I wish the Renaissance in Novi was next to the Somerset Mall as Twelve Oaks has gone downhill. Von Maur at Laurel Place in Livonia (older Marriott is built into the mall) is actually easier to get in and out of than Nordstroms or Macy's. About the same quality brands too. Just quieter and a little more civilized shopping experience especially on Saturdays when Twelve Oaks is a zoo. That Marriott in Livonia is another property needing a renovation. Supposedly next year it will be renovated but they've been saying that for 3 years. 15 minutes away in Southfield the Marriott there consistently has the cheapest rates of any Marriott property but even with the renovations it isnt that nice. Plus there just isnt anything to do in Southfield. Reminds me of the Marriott on Centerpoint in Auburn Hills. Some great rates but you have to drive 10-15 minutes to do anything. If you're driving everywhere you might as well stay elsewhere. BTW the Marriott in Troy was recently renovated but havent stayed there. It does have a free shuttle bus to Somerset.
Maybe I will try the Sheraton Novi if the price is right, although I am fine with paying a little bit more for the Baronette. The Somerset mall is of course the nicest mall in the Detroit metro area, but Troy tends to be out of my way. Plus, the construction on I-75 is annoying.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta PL, Hilton Diamond, past AA Gold
any updates?

Has anyone had a recent stay? thanks
Old Aug 7, 2022, 2:52 pm
Original Member

Just peeped into the Marriott-Centerpoint in Pontiac/Auburn Hills. M-Lounge is right off the lobby, keyed access (was guested in by someone staying who talked his way into getting keyed access--midafternoon there were gummy bears/raisinets and soda/water that I saw (unstaffed). Were there for a much-delayed (since 2020) event and it seemed a perfectly standard suburban office park Marriott. Across the street was a Courtyard/Residence Inn (not sure if they were a combo or separate) which some of the event participants used. Seemed remodeled in the last 5-ish years (I was concerned that it would be like the former Hyatt in Dearborn...terminally dwindling, but the Marriott was fine and fresh). Only weirdness was that there didn't seem much of a dress code for the employees (though it was extraordinarily hot/humid this week; a little grace is due, I'd say. Net-net: perfectly fine office-park Marriott, rather isolated from anything interesting.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 7:22 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Anybody have any recommendation between the Westin Southfield and the Renaissance Novi? It sounds like both offer anything off the menu for breakfast.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I have a mid-week business trip to the Southfield area next month. Between the Westin Southfield and the Marriott Southfield, which would you select? Priorities for me are room size/quality/upgrades, lounge, fitness center.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 6:01 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Dearborn Inn

Apparently, they had a fire and the hotel is closed for a major renovation. Expected to reopen late 2024 or early 2025.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 6:08 pm

Delta DTW

Stayed here for a couple of nights. Got a suite upgrade, but found the property a bit plain. Was really disappointed in the concierge lounge. They have a few grab and go things. Some snacks, cups of cereal, bagals. While there is a microwave so you can heat up the cup of oatmeal, there are no chairs. Guess you are supposed to carry everything back to your room, or eat standing up. Apparently, this accounts for the breakfast benefit. Restaurant menu is also pretty limited. I don't think we will be returning to this property. At least, I was able to get DoorDash to deliver from Leo's Coney Island. : )
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Michilander
Was really disappointed in the concierge lounge.
Many Delta Hotels have an elite pantry. Here's what The Points Guy described the concept as back in 2019:

"The Elite Pantry, available 24 hours a day to Platinum elite and higher Marriott Bonvoy members, offers soft drinks, coffee and tea, bottled water; fresh fruit, candies, chips; and breakfast options such as oatmeal, cereal and milk, snack bars and a variety of protein options including yogurt and hard-boiled eggs. In most locations, there's no seating area, and in some locations it's literally pantry-sized, but it gives you many of the same benefits of a club lounge. The Elite Pantry offers more than enough options to scrounge up a continental breakfast, afternoon snack or even something to fend off an attack of the midnight munchies."

Is that what you experienced?
Old May 1, 2023, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by dgreen12
Many Delta Hotels have an elite pantry. Here's what The Points Guy described the concept as back in 2019:

"The Elite Pantry, available 24 hours a day to Platinum elite and higher Marriott Bonvoy members, offers soft drinks, coffee and tea, bottled water; fresh fruit, candies, chips; and breakfast options such as oatmeal, cereal and milk, snack bars and a variety of protein options including yogurt and hard-boiled eggs. In most locations, there's no seating area, and in some locations it's literally pantry-sized, but it gives you many of the same benefits of a club lounge. The Elite Pantry offers more than enough options to scrounge up a continental breakfast, afternoon snack or even something to fend off an attack of the midnight munchies."

Is that what you experienced?
Yeah, I'd say that sort of described it. The oatmeal and cereal were all in the cups you usually find in the markets at other properties. Still, when they said they had a concierge lounge, I expected a bit more, like a place to sit and maybe a bar service. We actually choose to have breakfast in the restaurant the second morning because getting it at the 'lounge' was too much of a hassle.
Old May 1, 2023, 12:14 pm

Marriott DTW

We spend last night here. Texted the front desk about a suite upgrade and was told they didn't have a suite, but we were upgraded to the lounge level. Ended up upgraded to what might have been the smallest room in the hotel : )

The stay was pleasant enough, though. The evening offering in the lounge was actually meatloaf, mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and green beans. Along with nice trays of fresh fruit and fresh veggies. Pretty good.

Breakfast was scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, along with fresh fruit and all the other stuff you would expect. A very nice lounge experience, overall.

AND, the bar served Guinness. We had lunch in the restaurant. Ms. MIchilander had the fish and chips and I had the blackened Michigan salmon sandwich. Both were very nicely done.

Will definitely consider staying here again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.