Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by signothetimes53
Rule it out?!? Why?

It may indeed be the "least interesting SPG property in Paris", but it can be the best choice for certain types of travelers...and the worst choice for others. Until the OP spells out exactly what qualities he/she may be looking for in an SPG hotel, ruling out LME at this point in time is very premature.
I have stayed at this hotel many times over the years. The rooms are small, smallest of all other SPG hotels I have stayed in Paris, including Westin, Prince de Galle, amnd the now departed Le Meridien Montparnasse. LM Etoile was tolerable when they had a lounge. But unless I want to take the Air France bus from CDG, it has no appeal.

When I'm in Paris on business, I now stay at the Hilton La Defense on cheap Corporate Benefits rate instead of any of the SPG hotels, purely on corporate rate guidelines (even though we have cporporate rate at LM Etoile).

If I have the points, I would want the best value for my points, and just because LM Etoile is the cheapeast in points does not mean it's a good value. Personally I would consider Westin and Prince de Galle as better value for the points.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:31 am

Planning a trip to Paris for 5 nights in July 2014 and need some advice. I will be traveling with my wife and two girls (ages 11 & 13) and will be using SPG points for the stay. We have never been to Paris and want to see the major sights/museums. I am Starwood Platinum and my thinking is that we will attempt to get two adjoining rooms at one of the following:

Prince de Galles, Paris
Westin Paris - Vendôme
W Paris - Opéra

Any suggestions on what hotel you would recommend would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by bartman9
Planning a trip to Paris for 5 nights in July 2014 and need some advice. I will be traveling with my wife and two girls (ages 11 & 13) and will be using SPG points for the stay. We have never been to Paris and want to see the major sights/museums. I am Starwood Platinum and my thinking is that we will attempt to get two adjoining rooms at one of the following:

Prince de Galles, Paris
Westin Paris - Vendôme
W Paris - Opéra

Any suggestions on what hotel you would recommend would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
still hoping for some insight here. If anyone has any thoughts, I would appreciate it.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Pick Westin Paris for family (2 adults + 2 kids)

still hoping for some insight here. If anyone has any thoughts, I would appreciate it.
The 2 kids will cause a little bit of a problem for most Paris hotel rooms because 2 double beds in a room are hard to find for the major chain hotels in the city. They will want you to get 2 rooms.

See if you can get 5th night free points room w/ 2 double beds. I believe this hotel has a few rooms with 2 doubles.

The Westin location is really good for a family trip to Paris, across from the park/jardin, metro is down the street but you maybe able to just walk to most places. The Louvre is down the street. In July the jardin will have a carnival going on for the kids.

The Le Meridien Etollie may not have a room that fits all 4 of you in 1 room.

W....party scene is probably not what you are looking for with kids.

Prince des Galles...hmm, no comment on the property but I'd personally save my SPG points for another trip, by avoiding a higher category hotel, if the other hotel will do for your needs.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum; Hilton HHonors Gold; United Premier Gold
Are you looking for luxury?

Location?

Practicality?

What price do you want to pay in SPG points?

I can't comment on the W Opera, I haven't stayed there, but it's a new hotel in a central location. The "W" concept is not necessarily "family-oriented", you might love it, you might not.

The Prince de Galles is a luxury hotel, very high end.

The Westin has a fantastic central location, but as the reviews demonstrate, a very mixed bag of experiences for guests. I stayed there and had a miserable experience and swore never again. I've stayed at Le Meridien Etoile a half dozen times since, and though it's not an ideal hotel, it meets my "practicality" needs quite well.

What would fit you best? You need to better define what you want before we can give you a lot more advice.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:59 am

Since there are 4 of us, my plan was to get two rooms (hopefully adjoining ones). So it sounds like the Westin Paris - Vendôme might be my best bet. Thanks for your input!

Dave
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by signothetimes53
Are you looking for luxury?

Location?

Practicality?

What price do you want to pay in SPG points?

Location and Practicality are the most important. It would be great be close to attractions and/or transit system and, at the same time, be suitable for children. Have lots of SPG points, so that is not a big concern.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
I just noticed that you planed to get 2 rooms. I'd still recommend Westin Paris location wise if you want to pay the extra points.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Location and Practicality are the most important. It would be great be close to attractions and/or transit system and, at the same time, be suitable for children. Have lots of SPG points, so that is not a big concern.
I also recommend the Westin for location/practicality - its walking distance to the Louvre, d'Orsay, Place de la Concorde (less than 10 minutes for those). If you're up for longer walks, I think a lot of other sights are reachable (Champs Elysee, Opera, etc). From what I recall, there are 3 metro stops within very easy walking distance (again, less than 10 minutes) of the hotel (Concorde, Tuileries, and Louvre). I think Tuileries is the closest, but the other two have connections to other lines.

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: Spg Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, United 1k
PH Paris or Prince de Galles

Staying in July for Honeymoon on points...

Should I do the Park Hyatt or Prince De Galles?
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by giblum
We will be spending 5 days in Paris and using SPG points. There are 4 properties in the city - Prince de Guille (135,000 points), W Paris Opera (120,000 points), Westin Paris Vendrome (95,000 points) and Le Meridien Etoile (67,500 points). We do have enough points for any of these choices, but the difference in points between the highest and lowest hotels is significant and can be used for more stays in the future or plane tickets.
I would like suggestions as to which hotel to pick. Using extra points is not that big a deal to us, but we hate to waste them if the differences are not worth it.
Thanks
My wife and I stayed at the Le Meridien Etoile last summer and found that it fit our needs well. The airport access via the Air France bus is useful. The easy access to the Metro made getting around Paris a snap. No Suite upgrade but our room was a reasonable size and quite nice. We enjoyed the buffet breakfast.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Gold Flying Blue Platinum SPG Ambassdore
W paris with family i booked a family rate for 2 weeks and got adjoining rooms. Great holidays for the family and staff very polite it is in the same block as the apple store so very central. Staff was very polite too polite for Paris I thought I was in Asia.

L'meridien etoile has a great steakhouse restaurant and near the park of acclimatisation its got rides like a toned down express disneyland and keeps the kids happy. And many restaurants nearby. The downside is that its near the convention center and you are not in walking distance to the champs elysee but for the price difference i am guessing you could cab it.

So I would recommend those two.

The westin and the prince de gaulle i dont think its not that suitable for family vacations due to median price/quality ratio, but thats for me. it depends on how old your children are and what kind of activities your family wants to do.

Overall I would Pick the W Paris
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Re.: Westin Vendome

If points is not an issue, call SPG and ask for a suite for a larger amount of points, then apply Suite Night Awards and you might get the suite that I got, with a bedroom and a large living room with a coach that can be transformed into a bed for 2 persons.
You will be speechless with the view from the suite, especially at night. Being in front of the Jardin des Tuileries, no building is covering the view.
The metro is very close and so are some of the best patisseries and chocolate shops.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by luxetraveller
Staying in July for Honeymoon on points...

Should I do the Park Hyatt or Prince De Galles?
The Park Hyatt is great and so is its breakfast buffet.

I was there during a status match challenge and had a Diamond card (upgrade, nice amenities and free breakfast).
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by UASPG
Re.: Westin Vendome

If points is not an issue, call SPG and ask for a suite for a larger amount of points, then apply Suite Night Awards and you might get the suite that I got, with a bedroom and a large living room with a coach that can be transformed into a bed for 2 persons.
You will be speechless with the view from the suite, especially at night. Being in front of the Jardin des Tuileries, no building is covering the view.
The metro is very close and so are some of the best patisseries and chocolate shops.
I want to add that the service at the Westin Vendome is incredibly poor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.