Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2007, 9:29 pm

Programs: HHonors
Best SPG property in Paris

Greeting to the SPG forum. I'm usually found on the Hilton forum as I'm HH Diamond but just booked my daughters wedding at the W Union Square in NYC. This deep pocket transaction will bring me enough SPG points for 3-4 nights in a cat 6 spg property. I usually spend a couple of weeks vacation at the Paris Hilton each year and would like to tag on an spg stay to my trip in 2008. So, where should I spend the points? The Westin in the 2nd arr or the Saint Regis? I'm not interested in the Montparnasse Westin as I figure I might as well enjoy a lux stay. The Westin near Vendome has that awesome courtyard but Saint Regis properties are usually really special (at least the NYC hotel is over-the-top beautiful). So, what do the spg experts recommend? Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 12:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I don't have a positive suggestion, but I would recommend skipping the Prince de Galles, if you were considering it. The best thing about it is the location; it's downhill from there. Tired rooms, lackluster service, no upgrade or other recognition (at least on my stay) for Plat.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 1:16 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
As there isn't a St. Regis in Paris I'm not sure what you're comparing. Could you please provide further clarification?
Old Mar 17, 2007, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
to clarify for the OP, your choices in Paris are:

(1) Prince de Galles (aka PdG)
(2) Westin Paris
(3) Le Meridien Etoile
(4) Le Meridien Montparnasse
(5) Sheraton CDG (airport)
(6) Weston Triannon Palace, Versailles

If you do a search you should find many threads comparing these but to distill it all, most people prefer either the PdG or the Westin - with some fierce argument according to personal taste and preference.

Personally, I favour the Westin - top location and in most cases quite nice rooms, with the chance of some fantastic rooms.

However if you are tagging on the stay to an existing stay at the Hilton, you may want to consider the Triannon Palace - it is out of town (ie at Versailles) but is in a stunning location on the edge of the deer park of the Versailles Palace (make sure you get a room in the Palace building though, not the conference pavilion they have added as an afterthought)
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:03 am

Which SPG Paris Hotel

We will be spending 5 days in Paris and using SPG points. There are 4 properties in the city - Prince de Guille (135,000 points), W Paris Opera (120,000 points), Westin Paris Vendrome (95,000 points) and Le Meridien Etoile (67,500 points). We do have enough points for any of these choices, but the difference in points between the highest and lowest hotels is significant and can be used for more stays in the future or plane tickets.
I would like suggestions as to which hotel to pick. Using extra points is not that big a deal to us, but we hate to waste them if the differences are not worth it.
Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by giblum
We will be spending 5 days in Paris and using SPG points. There are 4 properties in the city - Prince de Guille (135,000 points), W Paris Opera (120,000 points), Westin Paris Vendrome (95,000 points) and Le Meridien Etoile (67,500 points). We do have enough points for any of these choices, but the difference in points between the highest and lowest hotels is significant and can be used for more stays in the future or plane tickets.
I would like suggestions as to which hotel to pick. Using extra points is not that big a deal to us, but we hate to waste them if the differences are not worth it.
Thanks
Welcome. Please note we have master threads (comprehensive information located in one thread)

You can find them here: The SPG Forum FAQ & Hotel Master Thread List

Within that thread, you'll see a thread for all properties located in Paris [Which Starwood in Paris? [Master Thread]] and individual properties within Paris.

Good luck
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by giblum
Thanks
Have you requalified for Gold or Plat elite status? If so, this could be a great opportunity to use your 25% or 35% off gift.

Remember too that on SPG redemptions, the fifth night is free. If you mean five days and four
nights in Paris, you could use your fifth free night to guarantee yourself an early check in or late check out.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:42 am
Suspended

Prince de Galle has the "palace" status in Paris, you may enjoy of the most luxurious properties in France
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I would rule out Le Meridien Etoile, the least interesting SPG property in Paris.

Westin has nice location but mixed reviews, so don't expect too much.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum; Hilton HHonors Gold; United Premier Gold
Originally Posted by CIT85
I would rule out Le Meridien Etoile, the least interesting SPG property in Paris.
Rule it out?!? Why?

It may indeed be the "least interesting SPG property in Paris", but it can be the best choice for certain types of travelers...and the worst choice for others. Until the OP spells out exactly what qualities he/she may be looking for in an SPG hotel, ruling out LME at this point in time is very premature.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
If you want to save points and are comfortable with the metro in Paris (which is super easy with any of the apps)... I would go there. Hotel is nice, very close to the 1 line, which is the central artery and service was great when I was there.

Upgrades are funny because they basically are adjoined rooms (at least the one I got)...

The Westin is LOVELY but it's not that great, the W is a total party (if you want that).... No history with the others
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Prince de Galle is special
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
If you have the point to spend, I would say the Prince de Galle is the best value, the renovated rooms look very nice...
If you plan to spend all you day outside and are just looking for a bed and a clean room, Le Meridien will do the job...
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by macaron95
Prince de Galle has the "palace" status in Paris, you may enjoy of the most luxurious properties in France
The Prince de Galles is not a palace hotel

http://www.atout-france.fr/actualite/distinction-palace
http://www.dgcis.gouv.fr/tourisme/la-distinction-palace
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:05 am

Programs: UAL GS. AA 2MM
I stayed at the Westin in March/April and loved it. Great location - very easy to walk to L'Orangerie, L'Orsay, and the Louvre, fabulous view of the Eiffel Tower from our room and balcony, many good restaurants near the hotel, and great service at the hotel. I do advise you to research the type of room you book as the room sizes vary greatly. Our room was huge but the family we traveled with had two tiny rooms. All three were in perfect condition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.