Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Leaving Jan 2023] The Danieli, Luxury Collection, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

[Leaving Jan 2023] The Danieli, Luxury Collection, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Arrow [Leaving Jan 2023] The Danieli, Luxury Collection, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

I am a little concerned. We are booked at the Danieli in Venice April 3-6 on an awards stay and everything I can find to read about the hotel is extremely negative.

Most posts agree that the location is fabulous and that the lobbiy is indeed grand, however, they also say that the rooms are dirty and not maintained well. Most posts also speak of the indifference of the service.

I do not need perfection, I am just hoping for a nice pleasant experience.

Does't anyone have anything nice to say about the Danieli?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:48 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Gary --

My last stay there was magical. Indeed, we were most fortunate to have been upgraded to a canal view suite in the original building. We were two floors above the main lobby. We found all of the staff to be pleasant, if distant. I did have the occasion to meet and speak for a short while with the longtime GM at the property and he was a gem.

I also had some interaction with the very seasoned concierge staff there and they were top notch and exceedingly polished and professional.

I can imagine that many of the standard rooms at this hotel are somewhat basic -- I have not stayed in any, so my comments are gleaned from the same sort of reviews you've read, as well. Most folks aren't lucky enough to land at this place on award points and are shelling out 400-600 Euros a night and get a very basic room. I can well imagine that doesn't seem like a great deal to many.

Regardless, the location is exceptionally central and you'll have that wonderful lobby to come home to each day.

Don't sweat it -- this is a solid hotel with a long legacy.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Jet.

What do you think my best approach for an upgrade is? I am SPG Gold because of my AMEX use.

Should I call, or wait until I arrive?

Thanks again for answering my post.

Gary
Old Mar 15, 2007, 8:07 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by GaryScott
Thank you Jet.

What do you think my best approach for an upgrade is? I am SPG Gold because of my AMEX use.

Should I call, or wait until I arrive?

Thanks again for answering my post.

Gary
As Gold you rarely receive an upgrade and it is only upon arrival. Why not see if this hotel allows you to use some points to upgrade?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GaryScott
My one trip to The Danieli was on a three night award stay as a gold back in 2004. About two weeks before our visit, I wrote an email to the address listed on spg.com requesting a room in the original building. That was the most I was hoping for, but when I checked in, I received what was at least a junior suite just above the front desk overlooking the lagoon. Just an excellent hotel.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 7:38 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I received a canal view room in the old building a few years ago on an award stay. My room did have some condition issues such as a large water stain on the ceiling and wall. Also the door lock broke in the suite next door and the woman could not get out of her living room... so the hotel staff had to come to our room and open the connecting door. Don't expect this to be a brand new Four Seasons hotel. Nevertheless, when you consider everything others have already mentioned in this thread it is still a great place to stay on SPG points.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:14 am

Programs: AA-PLT, 1MM, SPG Plat
We stayed there on points last June. I really enjoyed our stay and loved Venice. The hotel is very old and very grand! We were upgraded to a small suite on the floor above the lobby overlooking the main entrance and canal. It was very busy outside our window which we enjoyed. You are right in the thick of things. This will not be a luxury new hotel experience but that is not what we were looking for. We got a very historic experience which was great. Go with it and you will not be disappointed. The staff was fine to deal with but that is never a high priority to me. Go with the proper expectations and you will enjoy!
Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
NO! I have stayed at the Danieli several times. If you are looking for a mdoern luxury hotel, this is not the place for you. If you like grand old properties, you will have a great time! Keep in mind, parts of this hotel were constructed years before Columbus sailed the ocean blue!
Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:25 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We've stayed there several times (all on points) and we've always had an amazing time.

Each time we were upgraded to a front view junior suite.

Like many hotels in Europe, the furnishings were a little "tired" but the incredible view made up for it and did not detract from our stay.
My husband loves getting up early in the morning and watching all the different barges unload. It's also a perfect spot for "people watching."
From our window we've seen crazy Acqua Altas, amazing fireworks over the lagoon, and of course the stunning panorama of the harbour and the campanile of Chiesa di San Giorgio Maggiore.

Although Venice is our favorite city in Italy, I have never found Venetians to be as warm as other Italians (who I think are some of the friendliest people in the world) They're a little more imperious-- more formal and proper. The staff at the Danieli is professional and efficient but I wouldn't call them warm.

As a lit and history buff I'm also fascinated by all the stories associated with the Danieli. Casanova's escape-- all of the writers and composers who have stayed there-- Dickens, Proust, Wagner, Debussy, Goethe.

The public spaces are gorgeous-- high ceilings, murano chandeliers, marble columns, grand staircases and ornate arches.

It's a romantic and mysterious place.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:39 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I'm with all the other posters...

...had a great stay got a very nice suite u/g overlooking the canal and as it was my 40th birthday hotel sent up champers and b'day cake....great location and very well informed consierge staff...tons of good rest. reccomendations none of which were over 80E for the 2 of us...this is venice so we found this very cheap...anyways nice property...enjoy...take the boat to the westin elcelsior in the lido...it leave right outside the front entrance of the Dan...and vist the lido...we liked it as well.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the encouraging words. We are truly looking forward to a stay in this historic palace. I will email SPG as el_tigre did and hope for the best.

We are doing 15 nights in Italy. All on points except Santa Caterina in Amalfi.

Upon our return, I will post my thoughts on this board.

Gary
Old Mar 17, 2007, 8:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
A great old hotel-----Period.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 12:27 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by schriste
I'll be staying there too (Santa Caterina in Amalfi) in April (as well as 10 nights on award travel). I'm currious what it will be like as it gets "I loved it" or "I hated It" reviews over at Tripadvisor.

One thing I've noticed at Trip Advisor is that expensive hotels often receive negative ratings. SBTINME made a great point-- people who are paying top dollar expect luxury and properties that fail to meet that expectation are (severely) criticized.

We overlooked the Danieli's flaws (older furnishings/carpets etc) because our rooms have been in a perfect location. We probably would not have been
very happy had we been stuck in some smaller room w/o a view.

On our last trip, btw, we also tried the E&R bc we were curious. They upgraded us to a room with an incredible view.

Next trip, we're splitting our time between the Gritti and the Danieli (booked pre-devaluation) bc we figure it may be our last chance to stay at the Gritti.

In the future, we'll probably stay at the E&R, simply bc it's a better deal.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 6:52 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
I'm not sure where you heard all the negative information about Danieli. However, it is truly one of my favorite hotels.

For a better room, I would strongly recommend e-mailing or faxing the hotel prior to arrival, especially if you are travelling for a special occasion.

Breakfast on the roof is a "must", even though it's pricey.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Take a look at www.tripadvisor.com or yahootravel. 9 out of 10 reviews are negative. I have emailed the hotel, and I am sure we will have a wonderful experience no matter what our room is like.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.