Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Leaving Jan 2023] The Danieli, Luxury Collection, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Leaving Jan 2023] The Danieli, Luxury Collection, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:13 pm

I don't understand how you can blame the hotel for the crowds out and about, especially in Venice.

I stayed in the Danieli at the end of July last year. It was beautiful and got upgraded from the Premium Deluxe King to a deluxe lagoon view, albeit I was staying on a FHR rate with gold SPG at the time.

What was excellent was the welcome gifts, including a bottle of red wine and some biscotti!

Breakfast wasn't stunning in itself but the views were amazing. Also had to watch out for wasps unfortunately at breakfast so I've day we ended up going inside.

Bar was pleasant and had the obligatory Vesper Martini!

We really enjoyed our stay at the Danieli. Hopefully one day we can make it back!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Booked for end of this week with base king room. Am a LT platinum (Titanium for now).

Have never stayed at Danieli, but have seen it many times. Any recent reviews on platinum/titanium treatment (upgrades, breakfast, etc)? Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Booked for end of this week with base king room. Am a LT platinum (Titanium for now).

Have never stayed at Danieli, but have seen it many times. Any recent reviews on platinum/titanium treatment (upgrades, breakfast, etc)? Thanks.
It's kind of late to change your mind now!

See posts # 170 and 171 for Plat reviews from 3 weeks ago. Looking forward to your review!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
As Gold, I did not expect a suite or lagoon view upgrade. But I did not expect the crappiest rooms in the hotel. According to the website Bonvoy Gold receives an "Enhanced Room Upgrade" which is defined as We’ll do our best to upgrade your room, based on availability at check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability identified by each hotel and limited to your personal guest room. Obviously others such as yourself lucked out. But it is important that people understand the range of experiences.

Mrs. B and I also used points to stay at both the STR Rome and STR Florence earlier in the month. Both were sold out well in advance of arrival, and we arrived after 6pm. Yet we each received some of the nicest rooms I have ever seen (particularly with 2 beds). This mirrors my experience over 3 decades at pretty much every Marriott (and former SPG property) - except the Danieli.

I am not sure how much you have travelled but the breakfast at the Danieli is not the "best I've ever had" - it is pretty marginal for a buffet and even inferior to some lounges. Yes the views are sweeping as one would expect. And of course until Bonvoy this was a Marriott Gold benefit - until March when the transition ended. Yes, we appreciated the breakfast, but it does not make up for 3 nights in the rooms I described, which don't hold a candle to the STR properties.

Of course we knew there would be crowds in June. But we passed many other 4* and 5* hotels that did not have throngs from morning to midnight. Every location has its +/- And no, you cannot turn left twice and be done with the crowds. Not in June.
Important to point out - and I am surprised you would equal the current Gold as the Old Gold before merger finalized.

Plat in the current scheme equals to the Old Gold of Marriott, that is, 50 nights of stay to qualify - therefore it is just the same as the Old Gold. Of course if your gold was the comped one from SPG you will lose the benefit because there is SPG no more. Marriott ended its generosity to give SPG Gold the same benefit as Marriott Gold once the merger finalized.

For that matter, those who got their old Gold from Ritz credit card still retain their benefits this year because their Golds were from Marriott side, not from SPG side, by way of turning into Plat. They would need to qualify by nights this year in order to retain their Plat (new gold) status.

The rest would be just personal experiences, but the Gold thing needs to be clarified. In fact I am surprised to this day there are still folks not / or refuse, to see the part that Marriott treats the Old Gold differently, based on HOW you obtain it and we cannot fault Marriott really, because SPG Gold only required 10 nights of stay to qualify when it was 50 nights with Marriott.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TerryK
Unfortunately, Gold doesn't really qualify for comp room upgrades.

That's above and beyond. ^

Going rate for water taxi to airport is €100-150 depends on amount of luggage. You did pretty well with 9 bags.
I am titanium, but I want to defend for this: I thought gold are qualify to up grade to an enhance room except suite , right? Are t&c of Marriott changes now?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:17 pm

Stayed here at the end of September on a three day points stay. At check-in, Caterina (who wears the classiest perfume) informed us we had been upgraded to I can't remember what kind of room other than it was on the second floor and faced the lagoon with a great view, a great bed and a lot of room. Very pleased with that. The view at breakfast was breathtaking and the food selection was very good. Weather was very comfortable so we had no heating or cooling issues. Just an observation: every elevator we used in Italy was TINY, whether in Rome, Bologna,Florence or Venice and the Danieli did not deviate. Not a complaint, if you have more than two adults with one large suitcase apiece, plan on making more than one trip. All in all, it was a wonderful stay.
360guy and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
2 night stay 9-11 October 2020

Hi,

Being in the UK I have decided to go back to Venice for 12 days in October. ( at the moment I do not have to quarantine on return to the UK).

I will be staying at the hilton but to change things up a bit will spend 2 nights at the Danielli ( 9-11) as there was a good deal online for a 2 night stay ( point rate was 200k pn)
Staying in a Luxury Room ( Excelsior) with breakfast and a 3 course dinner on one of the nights on the terrace. ( Beverage is extra)

Have already received an email from the restaurant requesting a preferred time and any allergies /restrictions.
My first choice for timings ( Fri 7pm) was able to be accomodated.

This trip will be more relaxing and will spend more time in the museums/churches ( I spend a week in Venice in August in sunny 30degrees celsius and spend a lot of time walking.

The reservation is able to be cancelled upto 3 days prior to arrival. If the covid cases increase and it looks likely Italy will be added to the UK quarantine list, I will cancel the trip.

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 26, 2021, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
We are going to be taking a car from Milan (MXP) to Piazalle Roma. When I do that math, this saves us several hours.

So, once I get to Piazzale Roma, is it as simple as following some signs to catch a water taxi to the Hotel? Something tells me that it isn't this easy!
Old Jun 26, 2021, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by dingo
We are going to be taking a car from Milan (MXP) to Piazalle Roma. When I do that math, this saves us several hours.

So, once I get to Piazzale Roma, is it as simple as following some signs to catch a water taxi to the Hotel? Something tells me that it isn't this easy!
several hours over the train? Even with a transfer, it was pretty quick
Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
yes, very easy. we did this when we took euro delivery of our BMW in 2006. easy walk from garage to vaporetto or water taxi. alas the taxi does not pull up in front of the hotel (as they did in The Tourist) but the side canal is actually more convenient, as the bellhops are there to help offload luggage (and you avoid the crowds)
Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Boraxo Thank you very much!

I know it sounds weird but here's my logic. Taking the train includes taking another train from MXP to Centrale, navigating Centrale, then waiting for the train that we pre-book to arrive, the travel time and then a water taxi to the hotel. I want to buy train tickets so I know we have a spot and have assigned seats so that would lead me to pad the schedule a bit. The fastest trains take 2 1/2 hours and the train from MXP to Centrale takes an hour so I'm at 3 1/2 hours minimum IF the trains were just magically waiting for me when I walk up to them. The car is more costly yes, but looks to be 3-4 hours depending on routing and traffic. As I look at train times, I think I can save about 3 hours and get to the hotel in time to still have time to walk around a bit.

And, this is our first day. It sounds more appealing to walk out of immigration and get into a car and go.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Boraxo Thank you very much!

I know it sounds weird but here's my logic. Taking the train includes taking another train from MXP to Centrale, navigating Centrale, then waiting for the train that we pre-book to arrive, the travel time and then a water taxi to the hotel. I want to buy train tickets so I know we have a spot and have assigned seats so that would lead me to pad the schedule a bit. The fastest trains take 2 1/2 hours and the train from MXP to Centrale takes an hour so I'm at 3 1/2 hours minimum IF the trains were just magically waiting for me when I walk up to them. The car is more costly yes, but looks to be 3-4 hours depending on routing and traffic. As I look at train times, I think I can save about 3 hours and get to the hotel in time to still have time to walk around a bit.

And, this is our first day. It sounds more appealing to walk out of immigration and get into a car and go.
If the drive sounds good, than that's a good way to go. Personally, I can no longer take a TATL redeye and then feel safe with a 4 hour drive. But it's personal taste, I've done both and far prefer the train, better scenery, relaxing for both people, can read, have a picnic lunch etc. And no hassle at the rental car desk (which is sometimes a breeze and othertimes not).

Still think you are off with the three hour savings since I think it was less than 5 hours total the times I've done it (i.e., train from MXP).

PS the bus is an option from MXP to Centrale, runs a little more often I think, roughly same scheduled trip time, but more subject to traffic.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 3:25 pm

Thanks for this. I’ve had a change of heart actually. I hadn’t realized that Italy backed off the covid testing on arrival. That gives me more comfort that we can make an 11:45 train after landing at 9:05 if we take a car service from mxp to centrale. The train I’m looking at has executive class at a decent price. I’ve always wanted to travel on the product on trenitalia so I’m going to book that at a rate that allows free changes before and one hour after departure.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
On our last visit we took the train from Firenze - also not difficult to connect from the platform to the water taxi. My recollection is that the taxi fare was less than the trip back from the hotel to VCE.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
what Train station for the Danieli? I know you need a water taxi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.