Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Calgary Sheraton Eau Claire Suites or Cavalier [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calgary Sheraton Eau Claire Suites or Cavalier [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
Westin Calgary Seems Great

I just checked into an executive room at the Westin Calgary as a gold. Room has been recently renovated and is a very nice size with a king size heavenly bed, a couch and an armchair. For $139 a night I'm getting the room, a $45 credit for two persons each morning for breakfast, free parking (normally $10-$15 per day), free high-speed internet and free long distance calls anywhere in North America. Definitely seems a great value!
Old Feb 2, 2007, 8:05 pm

Programs: AC*E50K, CX Gold, SPG Gold
Calgary Sheraton Cavalier and Four Points

Hello,

I'm in a traditional suite in Sheraton Suites in Calgary right now. Supposely, all preferred guests have access to the club lounge Sunday through Thursday from 5pm to 8pm. This morning, I tried to swipe my room card in the elevator and press 15 (club floor). It worked! In fact, I just had my hors d'oeuvres in the club lounge (today is Friday so I don't think I can access the club floor). Does it have anything to do with the fact that I'm a gold member? Did anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:09 am

Back when I was last able to afford to stay at the Sheraton Eau Claire, they did offer evening club lounge access to golds. For breakfast access, you did need to be a plat.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:18 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Gold, millions of points scattered across thousands of other programs...
Thumbs up Calgary Sheraton Cavalier and Four Points

I just wanted to post about a great experience I have had with the Sheraton Cavalier in Calgary.

Booking in Calgary right now requires several days lead time, especially if it is near the airport, it seems. I had two reservations, one for last night, and one for last night and tonight, as I did not know my itinerary until yesterday morning. Both fully cancellable prior to 6pm.

Knowing I needed the extra night, I cancelled the first reservation online yesterday morning. As for the second reservation, when I went to cancel the one night online (meaning cancel the full reservation, and re-reserve only for tonight), the hotel was full. Not wanting to take a chance, I called the SPG Gold number and asked them to change my reservation to just one night.

Checking in tonight, I learned that I was going to be charged for last night. The gent at the front desk was understanding when I told him I made the change over the SPG gold number.

Curious, I checked into my room, and you guessed it - neither reservation showed as changed, meaning I had two reservations for last night. The gent at the front desk called up and advised he was reversing charges / cancelling both of the stays last night. He told me that SPG Gold didn't notify him until 6:20 local, which was 2 hours after I made the call to the SPG number.

Kudos to him, and to the Sheraton Cavalier! Nice to report a good experience. Heck, I'm even on the SPG Executive floor.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 5:38 am

Programs: SPG Plat, BA Gold
I agree. The times I stayed at the hotel, staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Always got upgrades without asking. Will definetely stay there again!
Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:18 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Gold, millions of points scattered across thousands of other programs...
Originally Posted by Flemish
I agree. The times I stayed at the hotel, staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Always got upgrades without asking. Will definetely stay there again!

If you can get the room - it's a tough booking right now with the way Calgary is booming. I used to be able to reserve from the car on my way from Edmonton, but not anymore. You need at least 3 days.

Nice to get put on the SPG Exec. floor though. I like that. I just wish they had proper office chairs for the desks. Other than that, a great property.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Silv, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,
Calgary Ski Trip Report - Four Points

It was a long weekend here in Alberta so I decided to extend the weekend and avoid the crowds at the hills by taking Tuesday and Wednesday off to go skiing.

Monday night I stayed at the Four Points Calgary West which is right on the west edge of the city to get a early jump on the drive out to Lake Louise. Rate was $129cdn and I was upgraded to a King suite, the extra space was nice but nothing special. Service was good, breakfast room service was a good at a good price, and on time. Thumbs Up for a Four Points. If your vacationing in Calgary and don't want to the pay the price for being downtown this is a great pick.

After Skiing we checked into the Canmore four points. Rate was $99/night we had booked a king std room but when I asked for a late check-out they upgraded me to a King loft suite with the jetted corner tub, 2 bathrooms and a nice view Even without the upgrade this hotel is a great value and allows quick commutes to the best skiing in the world, even in the summer it would make a great base camp for day trips to Jasper/Radium/Banff/Kananaskis. I'll be staying here again this winter for ski trips and probably a couple times this summer for hiking/biking base camps. ^ Thumbs way up.

Both these hotels are fairly new (<5 years) the Canmore one had a pretty good restaurant. Both will be used on my quest to break out of gold into Plat this year
Old Feb 22, 2007, 6:40 pm

i see on travelzoo that eau claire is going for 139 thurs-sun if this helps anyone, much superior to the four points or westin.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
The 4pts in BC and Alberta are a nice contrast with the drab awfulness of most of the others. They're not luxurious but they're well priced, functional and efficient. I would also recommend Camloops and Vancouver Airport.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Silv, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by scavenger
i see on travelzoo that eau claire is going for 139 thurs-sun if this helps anyone, much superior to the four points or westin.
by far, if you want downtown I'd go Eau Claire first, as they are all suites and its very nice, westin has very nice rooms on the business tower side and they'll upgrade a gold to those on the weekend if you ask.
of course downtown Calgary doesn't help one who wishes to escape quickly to the ski hills.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 3:36 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
If Platinum, I would go for Eau de Claire since they upgrade Plats to a club floor with access to a very nice lounge. The 1bdrm suites are very nice... My first choice if the prices are compareable if maybe up to 20$ more.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:15 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Snoopyo seems to have had much better luck at the Eau Claire than I. I have stayed there 4 times (all as a Plat) and have NEVER been upgraded to the club floor. I have always had access to the floor, but never a room on it.

I stayed ay the Westin beside it earlier this week when I was in town - it does not compare, even with the recent renovations. Free Internet, breakfast and long distance calls, could not make up for the average room.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:41 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck
Snoopyo seems to have had much better luck at the Eau Claire than I. I have stayed there 4 times (all as a Plat) and have NEVER been upgraded to the club floor. I have always had access to the floor, but never a room on it.

I stayed ay the Westin beside it earlier this week when I was in town - it does not compare, even with the recent renovations. Free Internet, breakfast and long distance calls, could not make up for the average room.
Just stayed this past weekend again on Club level at the Eau Claire. IMHO, the rooms aren't that much better than the "regular" rooms - albeit a bit bigger etc. I've also never seen anything on Club level with a jacuzzi tub; something you can get with a slightly upgraded traditional room. The real benefit is the Club lounge which has to be among the best in Canada as the breakfasts and evening hors deuvers are excellent (along with terrific service throughout the hotel). As a Gold, I wouldn't get Club access otherwise at this property. I know that's the T & Cs but someone here on FT said s/he was given Club access even though they were Gold as well. Tried it this weekend but to no avail so I stayed in the Club level room I had booked. FYI, the Sheraton Cavalier grants both Golds and Plats access into the Club lounge albeit without breakfast..? (seems weird).

Singlepoint
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:06 am

Programs: nwa united delta
Calgary Sheraton Cavalier and Four Points

I have stayed at both Cavalier and 4P a few times. Cavalier pool is
wonderful with 3 warter slides and the Cavalier steak house has outstanding food! Very friendly service and the rooms are the bets I have seen, yes you pay for internet. Proximity to the airport is a plus though their shuttle charged me a couple of dollars for the ride.

4P is a bit far away and on the way to Banff. Again, friendly service, great rooms. The Ember (or Amber) restaurant is top notch.

I prefer these two to Westin or Sheraton Suites Eau Claire b/c of free parking and not being in downtown.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:26 am

Programs: nwa united delta
I agree, both properties provide outstanding value and comfort! I would also add Calgary Shearton Cavalier to this list. We go during Stampede time so it's more expensive but would stay there any day. I think 4P Calgary has been around for a while, I am not sure.

Originally Posted by dark169
Both these hotels are fairly new (<5 years) the Canmore one had a pretty good restaurant. Both will be used on my quest to break out of gold into Plat this year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.