Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Calgary Sheraton Eau Claire Suites or Cavalier [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calgary Sheraton Eau Claire Suites or Cavalier [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2005, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Room 1103
Date of stay 2nd-4th December 2005
SPG Platinum

I arrived at the Eau Claire about 1pm after a flight from YVR. Tempreature was a balmy -17 celsius.
I was given 1103 which was towards the end of the floor on the SPG floor and was given the Platinum Amentiy choice ( i chose the 500pts)

The suite was. very good with a large living room, large bathroom with jacuzzi tub and separate shower ( only minor niggle was that it was a little dark at first before the lights brightened up)

The bedroom was ( in my opinion) a little small as I found there was not a lot of space between the bed and the cupboard ( making it slightly awkward to put your clothes in the cupboard) and not a lot of space to the curtains by the window.

A ( unique ?) touch was there personalised writing paper with your name and " platinum preferred guest"
The lounge on the 15th floor was very good with great staff and great evening food and great breakfast food ( including hot bacon/scrambled eggs etc). Specaility coffees cost about $4 ( incl lattes ) although ordinary coffee was free. Soft drinks were served to you also ( small charge i think)

Turndown service was very good as they brought you in a tray with an apple, a personalised note with the forecast for the next day and a camomile tea bag and a chocolate as well as laying out slippers by the bed.

Lots of christmas trees on the club floor and in the lobby which was very nice

Princes Island was great in the snow ( if you climbed the steps once you crossed the Bow river? you got a nice view of downtown- as I crossed the bridge I could see a lot of ice flowing down in the river ( would not want to go swimming! and the Eau Claire market ( next door to the hotel) was good.

Although the highs on Sat/Sun were -17 there was a lot of snow and sun around and walked ot the Calgary Fort and Tower ( I found I could spend about an hour outside walking before wanting to get inside and would not wand to do long distance walking without thermals underneath my jeans as you could feel the cold seeping through the denim.

The fitness center was good but if the pool was busy you might not be able to do lengths as the slide exit comes down into the middle of the pool ( quite a twisty slide which made me feel slightly dizzy the first time trying it)

It is connected by the +15 to the Westin via another tower.

A 4pm check out was granted with no problems once the agent saw my status on the screen.

I got a survey email shortly after returning.

Overall a very good stay.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:53 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
Update. Have stayed at Hotel Art, Sheraton Suites Eau de Claire and Hyatt Regency.

My favourite is Sheraton Suites which is both very comfortable and great service and really nice club lounge

Hyatt would normally have been very nice normally but compared with Sheraton Suites, it is not quite as nice..

Hotel Arts is a little quirky in the process of trying to tranform itself from a former Holiday Inn into a boutique hotel. nice 42" Dell flat screen television and fairly comfortable beds. But occassionally, some things does not quite go as well as it could and one morning it did not have hot water.

Mary

Cheers, Mary
Old Feb 4, 2006, 10:59 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Bump!

I'm looking to book a 1 night midweek stay in Calgary. Am SPG Plat. The Sheraton seems to get fab reviews as compared to the Westin. The best rates on my dates are:

Sheraton Eau Claire: C$ 359 ++ (room only, prepaid)
Westin: C$ 205 ++ (Romance package, including breakfast in bed, champagne & strawberries.)

So obviously I'm leaning towards the Westin! Does the Sheraton justify the differential?
And what type of Plat upgrade could I expect at the Westin? And does it have a club lounge that does evening snacks/drinks?

cheers
AJ

Last edited by AJLondon; Feb 4, 2006 at 5:50 pm
Old Feb 4, 2006, 2:46 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Sheraton is the preferred property, much larger and nicer rooms. The Westin is connected to the +15 walkway system, but since it won't be winter -- well it has been known to snow in the summer in Calgary -- you can walk outside so won't need it much. The Sheraton is adjacent to a market much like Feneuil in Boston, lots of restaurants, etc.
The Sheraton Eau Claire has +15 as well. The Sheraton Eau Claire does NOT have any public parking, but they do have valet which is a rip off. However, there's PLENTY of parking on the street that's free 1800-0700 M-S and free all day sunday. You can EASILY snag a meter 10 meters from the side door, not to mention the 4 parking lots located 1 block away.

Originally Posted by Scott218
Two tales of Calgary hotels.

I'm staying at the Westin Calgary. Here are some details:

1. There are 2 buildings, the main and the tower.
2. The main building is where the Club floors are. Just because they are club floors does not mean the rooms are big. My room on the 17th floor (top floor at the main building) is so small.
3. Heavenly shower is being taken out to conserve water.
4. No Molten Brown products.
5. The pool is only alright.
The pool is on a rooftop, open 24 hours. For a romantic night, I don't see how a waterslide is better than a 24 hr hot tub.

Last edited by cur; Feb 4, 2006 at 2:49 pm
Old Feb 4, 2006, 4:38 pm

Programs: Airmiles; Aeroplan; TripRewards; Best Western GCC
Being a Calgary sprinnger (resident), I've had many experiences with many hotels.

If you want to stick with Starwoods, I definately recommend the SHARATON CAVALIER CALGARY:

http://sheratoncavalier.com/calgary/

...Another good starwood is the SHARATON SUITES EAU CLAIR, however I'd recommend the CAVALIER first:

http://www.sheratonsuites.com/

If you stray from Starwood, I recommend the hyAtt Regency Calgary:

http://calgary.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

Canada Flyer
Old Feb 4, 2006, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Canada Flyer
...Another good starwood is the SHARATON SUITES EAU CLAIR, however I'd recommend the CAVALIER
Isn't the Cavalier closer to the airport, as opposed to the city centre?

And what about the choice of the Westin, under the parameters outlined in my previous post.

cheers!
Old Feb 4, 2006, 5:46 pm
cur

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Isn't the Cavalier closer to the airport, as opposed to the city centre?

And what about the choice of the Westin, under the parameters outlined in my previous post.

cheers!
Cavalier is closer to the airport, but located on Barlow, which is where a lot of chain restaurant places are located, free parking, and it's a quick 10 min drive during non-peak into downtown, just go 32nd to deerfoot to memorial and you're in.

There is no Sheraton "Le Soleil" in Calgary. There is a Sheraton "Eau Claire" however.

Difference between the Eau Claire and Westin is that every room at the EauClaire has a seperate room with sitting area, while the Westin rooms are smaller with no sitting area.

Plats at the eau claire get upgraded to the club floor which is the same room but with bose speakers with commercial free music in every genre, and club lounge.
Westin Plats get upgraded to the tower which has rooms on only one side and a larger area with mini-sitting area but no seperate room. The pool is located on top of the tower, so if you're in the main building, you have to go down, through the lobby and up.

Sheraton Eau Claire and Westin are a block apart, so location is not an issue.

Last edited by cur; Feb 4, 2006 at 5:49 pm
Old Feb 4, 2006, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by cur
There is no Sheraton "Le Soleil" in Calgary. There is a Sheraton "Eau Claire" however.
Sorry, I did mean the Eau Claire. I must have sub-consiously written Le Soleil while thinking of the former Vancouver Starwood hotel!

Does the Westin have a club lounge for evening drinks/snacks?
Old Feb 4, 2006, 6:31 pm

Programs: Airmiles; Aeroplan; TripRewards; Best Western GCC
The Cavalier is an airport hotel (making it easily accesable).

I'll warn you that the food at the Westin is EXTREMELY expensive. There was a "deal" in the paper where you eat for 2, and get $2o.oo off, but it's got to be $150.oo for 2 people... I'm not sure if the Eau Clair is any better, though.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 11:28 pm
cur

Originally Posted by Canada Flyer
The Cavalier is an airport hotel (making it easily accesable).

I'll warn you that the food at the Westin is EXTREMELY expensive. There was a "deal" in the paper where you eat for 2, and get $2o.oo off, but it's got to be $150.oo for 2 people... I'm not sure if the Eau Clair is any better, though.
Yep. It's brutal, considering there are so many better restaurants in Calgary.

Does the Westin have a club lounge for evening drinks/snacks?
No, but on this thread, someone mentioned every Wednesday night, there's a HUGE free buffet for those with status, and free booze I hear...
Old Feb 5, 2006, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by cur
Yep. It's brutal, considering there are so many better restaurants in Calgary.

No, but on this thread, someone mentioned every Wednesday night, there's a HUGE free buffet for those with status, and free booze I hear...
Thanks. Are they any reasonble restaurants near the hotel, or takeaway options?

And, like the Eau Claire is supposed to be, is this hotel also connected to the same underground path to connect to the main shopping area (Eaton Centre?).
Old Feb 5, 2006, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: NW Silver Elite, Marriott Gold, UA 0P
And, like the Eau Claire is supposed to be, is this hotel also connected to the same underground path to connect to the main shopping area (Eaton Centre?).
Yes it is, as mentioned by Shareholder above. But it's not underground. It's called +15 because it's bridges 15 ft aboveground.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 1:27 pm
cur

Thanks. Are they any reasonble restaurants near the hotel, or takeaway options?

Yeah but don't use it. Just walk down 3 st and you get a better experience of the city.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 2:26 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
For an upcoming one-night stay this March, the only Starwood hotels in Calgary within my price range (this is a leisure trip, so it's on my own dime) are the 4 Points at C$107 and the Westin at C$159. Since I have platinum status, I have some reasonable hope of being upgraded to at least a nicer room at the 4 Points and possibly to a suite with Jacuzzi and fireplace, versus a club room or suite at the Westin. Based on what I've seen and read so far, it seems to me the 4 Points is the better value at those prices, but I would welcome opinions to the contrary from those with experience.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 3:32 pm

Programs: SPG LTP
Assuming you are considering the FP Calgary West (not the one in Canmore): it's close to the Olympic site, which is actually +- 10km out of town, not a lot to see/do around there apart from the ski ramps.

Had a stay there last September (upgrade to suite): extremely friendly & helpful staff, the hotel itself is only so-so (even the suite, quite basic overall: nothing wrong & as expected for FP, opinion more based on the fact that age of the hotel starts showing throughout).

If the purpose of your trip is a visit to Calgary proper, I'd definitely go for the Westin or Sheraton downtown ... if range is broader: visit to Banff National Park is amazing, and FP in Canmore is very good value-for-money (refer to other post)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.