Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, Scottsdale [Master Thread]

Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, Scottsdale [Master Thread]

Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bsdstone
I would say YES, make the run...if you drink any alcohol, or if you eat breakfast, the $80 will pay for itself. . .
I agree -- I would absolutely make the run. In addition to the breakfast & drinks, the room you're assigned (possible suite included) will typically be much better than if you're a Gold member.

BUT, once your stay posts and you have achieved the status, call the SPG Platinum line and ask them to either update your reservation or contact the hotel on your behalf and advise them that you are a Platinum member. You cannot count on the hotel to receive the updated information.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Great Advice!

BUT, once your stay posts and you have achieved the status, call the SPG Platinum line and ask them to either update your reservation or contact the hotel on your behalf and advise them that you are a Platinum member. You cannot count on the hotel to receive the updated information.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more...make sure your status is recognized and sent to the hotel AHEAD OF TIME!
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:21 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
...BUT, once your stay posts and you have achieved the status, call the SPG Platinum line and ask them to either update your reservation or contact the hotel on your behalf and advise them that you are a Platinum member. You cannot count on the hotel to receive the updated information.
The status updates automatically in all of our proprietary systems, so everything is in place for the hotel to be notified, even on reservations made prior to it going into effect.

However, knowing that some hotels do not make the best use of what is provided, I couldn't agree more about contacting Platinum Concierge to let the hotel know of the change in status.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:26 am

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Thanks everyone! Just made a $70+ reservation at the 4points Savannah that will bump me up to Plat
Old Feb 16, 2008, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I cashed in my points as a gold in December (3 nights). Our room overlooked the rear of the hotel (golf/water view). The staff was ^

There seemed to be some question as to our lounge access as a Gold.
Not to worry, as this was resolved.

Overall, the staff understands the concept of 'doing for' a guest.

2 things

The staff in the lounge is very nice. ^ The only problem I had is that they always asked a guest 'if they could be expected tomorrow'. To me, this sounded like (my opinion) they were looking for tips.

The real rub at the Kierland is the timeshare business. Every time I went to the Concierge, they always inquired if we had been on a tour.
Some of those inquirees were pushy. I know pushy when I see it.

For a hotel that tries very hard to please, the timeshare push has got to be modified. It was a turnoff to an otherwise 99.9% perfect stay.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 8:45 pm

Location: Chicago, IL USA AA Platinum, UA, Hilton Blue, Starwood Platinum, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I cashed in my points as a gold in December (3 nights). Our room overlooked the rear of the hotel (golf/water view). The staff was ^

Not to worry, as this was resolved.

Overall, the staff understands the concept of 'doing for' a guest.

2 things

The staff in the lounge is very nice. ^ The only problem I had is that they always asked a guest 'if they could be expected tomorrow'. To me, this sounded like (my opinion) they were looking for tips.

The real rub at the Kierland is the timeshare business. Every time I went to the Concierge, they always inquired if we had been on a tour.
Some of those inquirees were pushy. I know pushy when I see it.

For a hotel that tries very hard to please, the timeshare push has got to be modified. It was a turnoff to an otherwise 99.9% perfect stay.
Yeah, wait until you take a tour, or better yet, do what my wife& I did, which was to come back to the resort for a 2nd visit a year later. After we told our representative, "Thanks but no thanks", she got really po'ed and got a major attitude. In fact, she became downright rude. However, I ripped her a new one in the evaluation. I was really turned off by this, and would never consider going to a timeshare presentation again. Not worth the aggravation.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 8:56 pm
Suspended

I like getting the points and telling them I think timeshares are for suckers.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:16 am

Charge for lounge access

Stayed here in early December - 2 adults and 2 kids in a double room using the free weekend nights I earned. Got upgraded to the club floors but was charged $21 ish for the 2 kids to use the lounge. Has anyone else encountered this charge?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:00 pm

We are arriving on March 5 for our 4 night stay promotion at Kierlands. Our flight lands at 10 am- checkin is not until 4 I believe. We thought it might be plausible to take the timeshare tour during this window of time. Anyone know if that can be done? Or do they make you wait until you are officially checked in?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by babsjvd
We are arriving on March 5 for our 4 night stay promotion at Kierlands. Our flight lands at 10 am- checkin is not until 4 I believe. We thought it might be plausible to take the timeshare tour during this window of time. Anyone know if that can be done? Or do they make you wait until you are officially checked in?
If you ask for a timeshare tour I'm sure they'd be happy to provide it to you. I can't imagine them turning down your interest. You might call ahead to schedule it. (Does the promotion even require that you take the tour?)
Old Feb 17, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Originally Posted by dhammer53

Not to worry, as this was resolved. .
You are lucky. Gold is not supposed to be granted lounge access unless you book the executive floor room.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by acnev
Stayed here in early December - 2 adults and 2 kids in a double room using the free weekend nights I earned. Got upgraded to the club floors but was charged $21 ish for the 2 kids to use the lounge. Has anyone else encountered this charge?
I'm here now. It was spelled out in both the pre-arrival email and the PLT packet on arrival - Lounge access is for PLT member and one other person. Additional adults are $50/day, children are $10/day. I've slept in while my wife and 2 kids went up in the morning - they said it should technically be $20, but they'd count one of them as me so it was only $10.

I don't know where the other $1 came from - tax?

Last edited by CPRich; Feb 28, 2008 at 4:00 pm
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm here now. It was spelled out in both the pre-arrival email and the PLT packet on arrival - Lounge access is for PLT member and one other person. Additional adults are $50/day, children and $10/day. I've slept in while my wife and 2 kids went up in the morning - they said it should technically be $20, but they'd count one of them as me so it was only $10.

I don't know where the other $1 came from - tax?
Is the $10 charge per day or per entry?
Old Feb 18, 2008, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by bbbb
Is the $10 charge per day or per entry?
Per day. They only really check/ask for room number at breakfast. You get a pretty decent breakfast spread, then drinks and snacks through the day, newspapers, TV, internet access. Instead of food in the evening, I received two $25 vouchers per day to the "Unwind" event - food at the downstairs restaurant.

It was $10 + $1.23 in taxes.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
Instead of food in the evening, I received two $25 vouchers per day to the "Unwind" event - food at the downstairs restaurant.

Do they no longer have food and drinks in the club at night?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.