Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Philadelphia, PA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Philadelphia, PA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Marcell
I'm planning a trip to Philadelphia, PA in 3 weeks and I need to know your thoughts on the following hotels: Philadelphia Marriott Downtown (on Market Street), Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City (Penn Square) and the Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown (on Juniper Street).

In particular, the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown (on Market Street) has valet service, but no indication of self-parking. Is there available street/public parking available near this hotel. If so, what is the going rate?
I like the full service marriott the best out of the 3 - there is a public lot in the building across the street. Manggiano's and chili's are right across the street for good food. Also the reading terminal market is diagonally across the corner from the hotel for great take out food and goodies.

Scott
Old Feb 19, 2007, 1:38 pm

I'm planning a trip to Philadelphia, PA in 3 weeks and I need to know your thoughts on the following hotels: Philadelphia Marriott Downtown (on Market Street), Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City (Penn Square) and the Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown (on Juniper Street).

In particular, the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown (on Market Street) has valet service, but no indication of self-parking. Is there available street/public parking available near this hotel. If so, what is the going rate?
I have stayed at all of the Marriotts in downtown Philly numerous times (and recently). The Courtyard Downtown is really a nice hotel. In fact, there are things about it I like better than the Philadelphia Marriott across the street. It's in an old bank building and has beautiful marble floors and lots of brass and a nice bar. The full service Marriott, across the street, is also nice. You will be fine with either one of them. There is parking across the street from the Phila Marriott if you don't want to valet park. I can't give you a comparison of price though since we valet park.

I don't care for the Residence Inn at all. It's next door to the Courtyard. It's odd that all three of the hotels are within a block of each other.

The concierge floor at the Phila Marriott is VERY large and decent.

Bobette
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:28 pm

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
I've literally spent months at the Residence Inn, primarily during the week but also on some weekends, and it was more than adequate. Some rooms can be somewhat dark if you're just sitting on the couch, due to the layout of the kitchen and the area that the small table lamp is trying to light, but it's not unbearable. It is indeed within a block of the other two and is probably 100 yards further away from the Reading Terminal Market.

I've never stayed at the other two so can't really comment about them. If you're booking solely on rate, then the RI might be your best bet when you consider the more than ample breakfast and selection of hors d'oeuvres-type snacks at the evening reception. If you're looking for ambience, even without seeing the others I can say it should be at the bottom of your list.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Diamond, Hilton Silver

Parking across the street is available for $24 or $26 a day....If it is full there is a ton of parking at the convention center as well.....
Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Originally Posted by dagwood
Parking across the street is available for $24 or $26 a day....If it is full there is a ton of parking at the convention center as well.....
I stayed there in 2005. IIFC, valet was $36 a night.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
If for some reason you don't end up downtown, the Renaissance by the airport is quite nice too.......
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum (1MM Lifetime Gold), Avis First
I have stay ant both the Marriott and Courtyard, I enjoyed both. I would the Courtyard even give you 500 points for being plat.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Nobody, Hertz Gold, Avis Select
Let me know when you're there, I'll buy you a brew either at Nodding Head or Independence Pub...

I've stayed at the full service Marriott and I'm a semi-permanent resident for now at the Courtyard due to the client's negotiated rate.

All 3 Marriotts are literally next to each other. I wasn't super impressed with the FS Marriott and actually prefer the CY now for several reasons.

The CY has a very nice breakfast buffet for 16$ featuring eggs to order, omelettes and waffles along with pastries, cereals, fruits..etc. Not too shabby but gets old fast.

There's a very nice workout room at the CY (5 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, 2 cycles, some dumbells, and a couple of multi-functional dealies). There's a pool too..

There's no self parking...You're pretty much screwed on that. There is a public lot across the FS Marriott, but I don't know their rates (I'll let you know tomorrow or Wed since I'll be there tomorrow night) and I doubt you get in and out privileges. There's an abundance of fee based parking lots and garages in the area and they're usually cheaper than the hotel valet, but i don't know who gives in/out privileges. What I do every week is park around the corner from the CY for 22$ with no in/out privileges and leave the car there for 5 days. It used to be 15$ (Half of what CY charges) and they just recently raised their prices.

The CY is also going through some minor renovations floor by floor with new carpeting, new fixtures and some changes in the bathroom. Make sure you ask for a renovated room. Also, rooms in the front & back of the hotel are bigger than the rooms on the sides.

One thing I don't like about the CY is that they forget to give you the 500 plat arrival points once out of about 3 check-ins.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:16 am

Well, I spent the last 2 nights at the CY downtown, and so far I'm not impressed. Last night we asked if they had a microwave available (in a lounge or something) so we could heat up our cheesesteaks. They said they'd send one up. An extra phone call and 45 minutes later, it finally showed up.

They didn't leave a new bottle of conditioner last night for my wife. I went down to the front desk to ask for some. They don't have any there. Again, they'll send some up. That was 45 minutes ago.

Nice hotel but the service is erratic and slow. Yesterday it took 30 minutes for them to get my car out of valet.

Marriott's getting an e-mail on this one.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 10:50 am

Marriott Philadelphia related thread

FYI

Marriott related thread at http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698979
Old Aug 26, 2007, 5:35 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Going to Philly this week for a business meeting...thoughts on the two ariport locations, the FS Marriott and the Renaissance...I am already aware of the plus for the Marriott being right at the airport but in terms of rooms size and condition, how do they rate.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by IrieDame
Going to Philly this week for a business meeting...thoughts on the two ariport locations, the FS Marriott and the Renaissance...I am already aware of the plus for the Marriott being right at the airport but in terms of rooms size and condition, how do they rate.
I've stayed at both properties this year and my observations are:
The PHL Marriott:
- More "hustle and bustle" than the Ren.
- Slightly nicer room appointments.
- Paid parking, but you can do convenient day trips with rental cars as the rental companies are located across the street from the hotel. There is also train service from PHL into the center city.
- Directly on the airport property if you are doing an early/late flight.

The PHL Renaissance:
- Larger rooms (Maybe I was upgraded?)
- Atrium lobby
- Free parking, but you will want/need a car as it is off the airport property and nothing is really nearby.

Bottom line for me:
- Shop for price.
- If you need to be at PHL, go for the Marriott, if you need a car, go for the Renaissance.

You can also search and find a couple of threads that are a couple of years old, but not too out of date, with other opinions.

Last edited by keeton; Aug 26, 2007 at 10:28 am
Old Aug 26, 2007, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Thanks...do not need a car as client is coming to meet me...so Marriott it is.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 7:14 pm

FWIW I believe the lounge at the Ren is sub-par vs. the PHL Marriott...
Old Aug 28, 2007, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, United Platinum
Eating in the area

Since it's Philly you don't have to stay in the hotel to get some food.

I suggest the Reading Terminal Market for Breakfast (the creperie is excellent and there are a few diners in there as well). Marathon Grill is nearby but can be quite a large meal.

At those locations you're in the heart of the restaurant area. Any of the Starr restaurants can be entertaining (think upscale themed restaurants that aren't too over the top, Jones is an excellent choice that won't cost an arm and a leg).

You're right above both the Green line (trolly) and Blue line (el) which run east/west along Market. You're two blocks from the Orange line (subway) which runs along Broad (north/south). You're a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport.

For bars, there are plenty in Old City (head east on Market to 4th then wander the few blocks north and east for the majority of them). The Nodding Head is a good choice for a bar's bar (good micro-brew) but the Independence Pub is right around the corner (next to Reading Terminal Market).

Enjoy. CY gets my vote btw. It is slightly less busy and fewer families stay there so it can be much quieter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.