Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Government rate [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Government rate [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by fiedler77
Ok, so if I have a CAC I'm eligible for the GOV rate? In that case, I'll have no problems.

Thank you for your quick and informative replies, btw.
I'm not sure what a CAC is but if you have a government ID you shouldn't have an issue
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by igoncrazy
I havn't heard back from my second response. I will wait one more day and then send another email.

I did call reservations and asked if I can book the Courtyard Albany at the government rate. They said it wasn't offered for the days I wanted.

I then made up a date in June to see if it was available, and it gov't rate wasn't available.

Then I asked the person if the government rate should be $60 and the person said "yes." The person then said she would look for a $60 rate, but turns out there isn't one available, which means the hotel never offers a government rate.

I asked, what to do - this doesn't meet Marriott's policy, and the person said to call the hotel to request it and hope they offer it. There was nothing else she could do.

It still appears that it's up to each hotel to offer the rate - regardless of Marriott's new government policy

-Subash
Just to make sure everyone is clear, reservations agents do not have access to the GSA per diem list but they have been told the rates are to equal per diem (they have no way to verify though)

Yes you are correct: Hotel's are not required to offer a government rate, but if they offer a government rate it must equal per diem
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ohmark
Not sure why the "correction" or the frown was necessary.
Edited to add another thought: It could be that, as you suggest, the internal policy was changed more than two years ago, but then nobody bothered to change the website until two years ago. So, until two years ago, the website explicitly stated that the government rate at all Marriott family properties would be at or below per diem. In any case, I'm glad the Marrriott powers that be have seen the light.
Neither was directed at you, sorry for the confusion....until the web site addressed the issue as you pointed out above a few years ago there was no official policy (that I can remember of)
Old Mar 4, 2007, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ohmark
I think Marriott has demonstrated they agree with this by instituting its new policy.

+
You are correct, they do agree with you; the new policy is to assist governmental travs by making sure the rates are at per diem as well as assisting hotels by making sure only gov travs receive the discount
Old Mar 5, 2007, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
Originally Posted by socrates
I'm not sure what a CAC is but if you have a government ID you shouldn't have an issue
=Common Access Card

Briefly, it is the new "smart card" Government ID. Less briefly, see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Access_Card

Originally Posted by socrates
Just to make sure everyone is clear, reservations agents do not have access to the GSA per diem list but they have been told the rates are to equal per diem (they have no way to verify though)

Yes you are correct: Hotel's are not required to offer a government rate, but if they offer a government rate it must equal per diem
Not that I would expect a reservation agent to use this, but domestic per diem rates are available for anyone to look at here:

www.gsa.gov
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indyscott
Not that I would expect a reservation agent to use this, but domestic per diem rates are available for anyone to look at here:

www.gsa.gov
Reservation agents dont have access to the internet
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I absolutely understand and agree with those who have stated that a government rate should match or beat the GSA per diem for a locality. I've also made my opinion clear that I don't think any particular Marriott property should be forced to offer rooms at this rate if they don't want to.

I would hate to see "government discount" rates disappear, though. These are the above-per diem but often below-market rates that people seem to be complaining about. These are the rates I'm often happy to pay when traveling for leisure, and if Marriott drops them then that will be more money out of my pocket for non-business stays.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I would hate to see "government discount" rates disappear, though. These are the above-per diem but often below-market rates that people seem to be complaining about. These are the rates I'm often happy to pay when traveling for leisure, and if Marriott drops them then that will be more money out of my pocket for non-business stays.
I don't disagree, but the problem is that some properties have utilized these above per-diem "government rates" not in addition to, but instead of a real government per diem rate. And because many folks understand that most front desks haven't been asking for ID, most travelers accessing these above per diem rates are not government travelers at all.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat since 2008. Hyatt Diamond since 2015
Here is Marriott's 2nd response to why the hotel in question, Courtyard in Albany, GA, does not offer the government rate. The response is better than the first:

Thank you for your additional message.

Please note that the new policy for government rates will take effect on March 5, 2007. Individual Marriott hotels might have different time frame for their systems to be in line with the new policy. We have forwarded your concerns regarding the government rate not offered but rather the government contractor rate at the Courtyard Albany to our appropriate department for them to make the necessary update.

If we can be of further assistance, we invite you to reply to this email.

Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Regards,
Nancy DiLorenzo
Marriott Internet Customer Care
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:57 am

On Marriott.com

http://marriott.com/specials/govtmil/default.mi
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM (PMNW), occasional AMTK, National Exec Elite and IHG Spire
Originally Posted by fiedler77
Ok, so if I have a CAC I'm eligible for the GOV rate? In that case, I'll have no problems.

Thank you for your quick and informative replies, btw.
Careful. In my experience as a Government contractor, on official business, is your rate of success is largely in line with the amount of Government business the hotel sees on a regular basis. We originally had it drilled into our heads to get a Govt per diem rate - period - as the Govt would not reimburse our company above that rate. However, since our CAC was stamped 'Contractor' our success rate wasn't always 100%. Many properties, expecially those with large volumns of military guests, would immediately notice the contractor designation and would deny us a Govt rate. All we could do in those cases was get the best corp rate available and deal with the boss later.

Luckily for us, our corporate travel office has since negotiated better corp discounts with a major hotel brand. However, unfortuately it is not Marriott Int so I end up staying more often with IC properties now if a locally-negotiated rate is not available directly with the property in question. It's too bad, as the one thing I enjoyed with Marriott was the consistancy of service, something often lacking at competitors' establishments.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton HHonors
So...this thread is getting very loooong...would someone please advise me whether or not Marriott will accept Gov't employees travelling on leisure at the Gov't rate? I am finding this thread somewhat confusing regarding this issue.

If yes...^

If no... (Then I will have to look elsewhere.)

Socrates or someone reasonably "inside" please advise. Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmitzel
Careful. In my experience as a Government contractor, on official business, is your rate of success is largely in line with the amount of Government business the hotel sees on a regular basis. We originally had it drilled into our heads to get a Govt per diem rate - period - as the Govt would not reimburse our company above that rate. However, since our CAC was stamped 'Contractor' our success rate wasn't always 100%. Many properties, expecially those with large volumns of military guests, would immediately notice the contractor designation and would deny us a Govt rate. All we could do in those cases was get the best corp rate available and deal with the boss later.
If it says contractor you would not be eligible for the government rate
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beermonger
So...this thread is getting very loooong...would someone please advise me whether or not Marriott will accept Gov't employees travelling on leisure at the Gov't rate? I am finding this thread somewhat confusing regarding this issue.

If yes...^

If no... (Then I will have to look elsewhere.)

Socrates or someone reasonably "inside" please advise. Thank you in advance!
Yes government employees may use the rate while on leisure
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:55 am

Can a public school teacher, as an employee of the state, use this rate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.