Government rate [General Discussion Thread]

Old Feb 15, 19, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA SIL, WN A+/CP, Marriott Tit (LT), Hyatt EXP, Hilton Gold
I was asked for my ID most of the times I booked the Gov't rate at a property in Asia (China, KL, Singapore and Thailand, specifically)

Domestically and in Europe, rarely.
Old Feb 15, 19, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
Hotels will either want to see a copy of your orders or CAC card.
Isn't the CAC card just for military and military contractors, possibly including DOD more generally and dependents? AFAIK other government agencies don't do the CAC card.
Old Feb 15, 19, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM 4.3 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Isn't the CAC card just for military and military contractors, possibly including DOD more generally and dependents? AFAIK other government agencies don't do the CAC card.
All USG agencies use CAC. I have seen them at DOC, DOC, NIH and many other agencies. 1st C stands for Common.
Old Feb 15, 19, 10:43 am

Employees of non DoD agencies are issued PIV cards which are similar but not identical to the CAC cards issued by DoD.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Feb 15, 19, 11:27 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Dependents do not get CAC cards; they get dependent IDs that look like the old military IDs.

DOD is getting away from issuing CACs to contractors that arenít full time employees.

https://www.cac.mil/common-access-card/
Old Feb 15, 19, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat/1.5MM, SPG P100, Marriott LTP(P, coming to you in Jan '19), Hertz Prez, CBP GE, et al
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy View Post
Interesting that this has been your experience. In nine years and around 400 Marriott nights, I have been asked for ID maybe three times.
Itís heavily influenced by the market in question. Middle America CYs that are thrilled to have another room filled are less inclinded to ask versus a full-service National Capitol Region property that will sometimes look closely enough to reject a contractor CAC versus military/civil service gov.
Old Jul 10, 19, 4:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat / Hilton Gold / IHG Plat
Marriott Govt Rate Not showing

All:

I have several weekend trips that I use my govt rate for work that I have to accomplish.....

I realized that Marriott wont allow me to get govt rate, due to football games being in the town. Of course prices are jacked up, and the feds wont pay for that crap...

Has anyone ever had luck calling the hotel and getting them to honor it ?

I know for a fact they have blacked out the dates, and aren't allowing the booking via govt..... Not sure what I can do...

Thanks

This is in Morgantown, WV

Last edited by ch3ss; Jul 10, 19 at 6:50 pm
Old Jul 10, 19, 6:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA SIL, WN A+/CP, Marriott Tit (LT), Hyatt EXP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ch3ss View Post
All:

I have several weekend trips that I use my govt rate for work that I have to accomplish.....

I realized that Marriott wont allow me to get govt rate, due to football games being in the town. Of course prices are jacked up, and the feds wont pay for that crap...

Has anyone ever had luck calling the hotel and getting them to honor it ?

I know for a fact they have blacked out the dates, and aren't allowing the booking via govt..... Not sure what I can do...

Thanks

This is in Morgantown, WV
I have had luck getting a hotel to give a government rate when none was available online.

That said, if they have blacked out the dates due to a football game, odds are they will not offer the rate.

call the hotel directly and ask for the rooms manager (or general manager). good luck.

(not much you can do if they won't offer it other than pay the extra out of pocket, unless no rooms in town are available at gov't rate.)
DJ_Iceman and andrewstahl like this.

Search this Thread