Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Government rate [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Government rate [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Government/military rates

Are retired military or government workers are entitled to these rates?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
So long as you have some sort of ID, you should be good to go. Marriott is apparently pretty liberal with their Gov rates in that you do not necessarily have to be on official business to use the rate (so I learned here a year or two or three back). But do expect to be challenged for a government ID of some sort upwards of 50% of the time.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It depends on the property. The definition of "government" or "military" differs. Federal, state, local. non-US?

If you look at the rate definition, it will tell you whether you qualify.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It varies by property. If you can show the ID,, even if retired, the average FDC will be ok w/ it.

But from what I can tell, the gov't rate is the one that 90% of the time you're going to be asked for ID. So don't book if it you can't show some type of ID.

BTW - I think we have a long thread on gov't rates, but can't find it.

Cheers.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Also, for several years, Marriott had a policy that hotels advertising the government rate needed to use the official per diem rate. SPG's policy was that hotels could use whatever rate they wanted, which was often higher than the per diem rate.

Marriott is now following the SPG policy so hotels are free to call anything a government rate. So, if you're on official government travel, you'll need to be careful as you may not be fully reimbursed.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It varies by property. If you can show the ID,, even if retired, the average FDC will be ok w/ it.

But from what I can tell, the gov't rate is the one that 90% of the time you're going to be asked for ID. So don't book if it you can't show some type of ID.

BTW - I think we have a long thread on gov't rates, but can't find it.

Cheers.
No where near 90% in my experience. More like 25%. Still higher than the 1% AAA rate.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Government employee? Yes.
Retired military? Usually no. Check the hotel.
Government contractor? Usually no.

GOV rate is supposed to be used for work, but some allow for leisure. Some hotels have a specific active duty military discount leisure rate that can include retirees with ID.

As far as ID, I usually only get carded when on official travel and request tax exemption or at a leisure destination with a large discount.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Hotels will either want to see a copy of your orders or CAC card.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:42 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by skunker
As far as ID, I usually only get carded when on official travel and request tax exemption or at a leisure destination with a large discount.
Hotels in DC and state capitals also are more likely.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
So long as you have some sort of ID, you should be good to go. Marriott is apparently pretty liberal with their Gov rates in that you do not necessarily have to be on official business to use the rate (so I learned here a year or two or three back). But do expect to be challenged for a government ID of some sort upwards of 50% of the time.
Interesting that this has been your experience. In nine years and around 400 Marriott nights, I have been asked for ID maybe three times.
Jack77777 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

No where near 90% in my experience. More like 25%. Still higher than the 1% AAA rate.
Maybe 5% in my experience. I guess this is all over the board and probably depends on location. I stay mostly in the midwest.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I was asked for my ID most of the times I booked the Gov't rate at a property in Asia (China, KL, Singapore and Thailand, specifically)

Domestically and in Europe, rarely.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aventine
Hotels will either want to see a copy of your orders or CAC card.
Isn't the CAC card just for military and military contractors, possibly including DOD more generally and dependents? AFAIK other government agencies don't do the CAC card.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't the CAC card just for military and military contractors, possibly including DOD more generally and dependents? AFAIK other government agencies don't do the CAC card.
All USG agencies use CAC. I have seen them at DOC, DOC, NIH and many other agencies. 1st C stands for Common.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Employees of non DoD agencies are issued PIV cards which are similar but not identical to the CAC cards issued by DoD.
DJ_Iceman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.