Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Government rate [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Government rate [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
Originally Posted by socrates
I'm sorry if I offended you somehow but I fail to see how I was proven wrong.
Oh, no. You didn't offend me. Sorry if I gave that impression. OTOH, you and other posters repeatedly have claimed that the GOV rate is more restricted than it actually is. In fact, we had a lengthy thread where ohmark disproved your claim.

Just as an FYI state employees are covered under the policy - please dont make an assumption from what I've posted here
Like I said, I'm refusing to make any assumption until Marriott officially posts something. You claimed that you "quoted the new policy." If Marriott issues a revised policy with the language you "quoted," then state employees would not be covered. Again, I'm not assuming that your quote is correct. Quite the contrary.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Big Mo
Oh, no. You didn't offend me. Sorry if I gave that impression. OTOH, you and other posters repeatedly have claimed that the GOV rate is more restricted than it actually is. In fact, we had a lengthy thread where ohmark disproved your claim.

Like I said, I'm refusing to make any assumption until Marriott officially posts something. You claimed that you "quoted the new policy." If Marriott issues a revised policy with the language you "quoted," then state employees would not be covered. Again, I'm not assuming that your quote is correct. Quite the contrary.
1) I guess I dont understand how ohmark disproved my assertions
2) I never stated state employees would not be covered, infact I stated the new policy DID address them

I'm not saying I've never made an error, gosh knows my spouse will be the first to help me remember it, please use the information I post here anyway you wish, if you wish to discard it completely please feel free but please do not read into what I have or have not posted - there is some information I dont feel comfortable sharing
Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indyscott
socrates - you seem to have some inside knowledge on the impending change... Is this a Marriott initiative only or is their some cooperation with GSA (or someone other government-related body) to step up enforcement of use of the government credit cards? From the terms ohmark posted, it seems this may not be completely Marriott-driven? I know that compliance with the required usage of the government travel card has been a problem - at least in my little portion of the government travel world - for quite some time.
Fedrooms have been around for many years at this point
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:50 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Fedrooms have been around for many years at this point
In fact, Fedrooms began in 2004.

http://www.imscart.com/blog/?postid=434
Old Feb 15, 2007, 5:42 pm

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
The previous posts speak for themselves . . . but none of it amounts to a hill of beans until / unless Marriott officially changes their policy. Since there's no sense speculating, I'll just wait and see. In the meanwhile, the policy stated by ohmark continues to apply.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 6:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by indyscott
socrates - Is this a Marriott initiative only or is their some cooperation with GSA (or someone other government-related body) to step up enforcement of use of the government credit cards? From the terms ohmark posted, it seems this may not be completely Marriott-driven?
While agencies care about government credit card usage (gov't gets a rebate), they certainly don't care whether federal employees are using government rates for leisure purposes.

In fact, several hotel chains have historically advertised in military newspapers that military on personal travel can use government rates. I'm fairly confident that Marriott has done so in the past. Of course, Marriott is free to change its policy as it deems fit. Still, except where specifically addressed in the rate rules, I view the government rate as available for personal travel.

Incidentally, the government rate is not always the lowest publicly available rate and some Marriotts (particularly CY and FI) sometimes have rates below per diem.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ohmark
This from a government rate today at the Cincinnati Airport Marriott:

"*****************C R E D I T . C A R D**************************
GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES ON OFFICIAL TRAVEL ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE
US GOV'T ISSUED CREDIT CARDS TO PAY FOR TRAVEL RELATED COSTS.
GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE ON PERSONAL TRAVEL IS PROHIBITED FROM THE
GOVERNMENT DISCOUNTED RATE
THE CREDIT CARDS THAT ARE VALID GOV'T CARD START WITH
4486 OR 4716 OR 5568
**FEDERAL TRAVEL REGULATIONS INDICATE USE OF THE GOV'T CC IS
MANDATORY (FTR 301-51)
FRONT DESK AGENTS ARE TRAINED TO LOOK FOR THE SPECIFIC
GOVERNMENT CREDIT CARDS OR GOVERNMENT ISSUED CHECKS

I should also note that it is disappointing that the goverment rate at this property is over per diem.

SNAP!!!!!!!

There are GOV employees who do not have pcards or GOV credit cards.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd watch here over the next few weeks https://marriott.com/specials/govtmil/default.mi
Looks like it took less than a few weeks...
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Looks like it took less than a few weeks...
Well, maybe/maybe not. Absolutely nothing in the new rules states that government rate travel must be on official business and cannot be for leisure, unless you can argue that by merely calling the rates "per diem" rates, that implies for official business only. Acceptable i.d. includes the traditional government i.d. card. (The rules do say that some hotels may require travel orders in addition to i.d.) The rules do not say that it is mandatory to use the government credit card for payment (although usage of the government credit card when making the reservation will "prequalify" the traveler for the government rate so that additional i.d. at the property won't be necessary). There will now be two government rates: one for American and Canadian federal employees and employees of "federally funded research and development corporations", and one for state and local government employees. Finally the new rules repeatedly refer to the government rate as "Per Diem" rates, which seems to indicate that the rates will no longer be fake government rates but will be real per diem rates.

In summary, the three most significant points in the new rules: 1. No specific mention that it only applies to official travel. 2. Usage of the federal gov't credit card is not mandatory. 3. The rates should reflect per diem.

Oh yeah, they're effective 3/5/07.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:34 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

There will now be two government rates: one for American and Canadian federal employees and employees of "federally funded research and development corporations", and one for state and local government employees.
And these rates may be the same.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by dayone
And these rates may be the same.
If the rates are real per diem rates, as is implied by the new rules, then the rate will reflect what the actual per diems are for the two different groups, which may be the same, but typically are different.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton HHonors
As I stated earlier I almost always have stayed using the Gov't Rate and mostly for leisure...I am loyal to Marriott but that may change if they insist on "business" only...I'm certain the other chains would be glad to have me.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the rates are real per diem rates, as is implied by the new rules, then the rate will reflect what the actual per diems are for the two different groups, which may be the same, but typically are different.
correct, they are GSA per diem rates for the federal rates, if the state issues a per diem as well they will (must) mirror the state per diem as well (some states but not all define per diems)
Old Feb 17, 2007, 3:40 pm

Marriott: How about prequalifying me instead of my credit card?

I work for an FFRDC.

I'm glad to see Marriott formally include me in their new policy, but since I don't think many Marriott frontdesk folks know what an FFRDC is, or how to identify ID from one, it would be nice, if Marriott is going to be more aggressive in its screening, to prequalify me instead of prequalifying on the basis of a govt credit card (which FFRDC employees cannot have).

Once I validate once, wouldn't it be possible to have it noted in my profile?

Or, Marriott, if you're listening, might want to give your folks a link to this:
http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf05306/ (master list of FFRDCs)
Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by genenpet
Or, Marriott, if you're listening, might want to give your folks a link to this:
http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf05306/ (master list of FFRDCs)
I am also pleased to see this. Marriott might also want to spell out FFRDC correctly as opposed to what they have now (insert "and" and change to "Centers").

Charles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.