Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Bristol Place Toronto Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Bristol Place Toronto Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
refresh for 2016

I'm refreshing this thread (to paraphrase our PM) "because it's 2016."
The hotel is undergoing extensive renovations! Who knew? (No special conditions on spg.com). The lobby & the main floor boardroom are being completely re-done, breakfast is being served in the lower level & the only meal service is in room dining. On an interim basis, the shuttle (never great) is operating from the rear entrance. The staff expect the lobby to be back in place by mid-October.
The room renos are quite nice. The shaggy carpets are gonzo, the room floors redone in wood, and there are lots of electrical outlets.^
I am surprised this property has survived the merger. There is a huge Marriott across the street and 3 Sheraton/4 Points at or near YYZ. Occupancy has never been great and rates are often the lowest in the GTA.
Overall, a cheap/decent place to an SPG mattress run............once the renos are complete!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:14 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I'm refreshing this thread (to paraphrase our PM) "because it's 2016."
The hotel is undergoing extensive renovations! Who knew? (No special conditions on spg.com). The lobby & the main floor boardroom are being completely re-done, breakfast is being served in the lower level & the only meal service is in room dining. On an interim basis, the shuttle (never great) is operating from the rear entrance. The staff expect the lobby to be back in place by mid-October.
The room renos are quite nice. The shaggy carpets are gonzo, the room floors redone in wood, and there are lots of electrical outlets.^
Who knew indeed?!

We stayed there for two nights back in July and thought the hotel was very good (for the Cat 2 points we parted with). Originally we were booked into the Sheraton Gateway for the night (BRG rate CAD$91++) but our plans changed and we had to stay an extra night (there was some Google or Microsoft conference on in town and hotel prices were out of this world, the other SPG properties downtown were sold out and the airport properties were 3-4x normal)

Anyway, we caught the shuttle to the airport, then rode the train to downtown. We UberPool'ed back (was CAD$26) at night for two pax. Could not UberPool out of hotel though (geoblocking?).

The lobby was pretty nice for an airport hotel / Cat 2 property; the lobby area looked well, and we had a renovated room and chose to overlook the airport.

Service from all staff were very good; received an early birthday card awaiting in room, and if I recall correctly, Platinum 'breakfast' amenity was only the continental spread, with an option to pay $5? to upscale to the full spread.

Overall, excellent value at Cat 2 points (and if rates were around the $100 mark or less).
Attached Images      
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Just stayed at the Westin Bristol Place (Oct 20) and had a rotten experience.

The associate at check-in was a complete idiot and was lecturing me on the modalities and conditions of early check-in (I wanted to check-in at noon which is hardly unreasonable especially at an airport hotel when a huge number of check-outs occur early morning). He was rude and basically was trying to lecture me that check-ins before 3PM were "requests". I told him that I had actually specified a check-in time on my reservation and spoke to the Ambassador desk to ensure it was noted. I am perfectly aware that a 12PM check-in wasn't guaranteed but didn't need the attitude or the condescension in the associate's tone (I'm not going to name the associate on a public board but made sure I it was noted on my comments to the property).

The room was tired but the hotel is undergoing renovations so that may explain things.

The lobby is basically a construction zone right now -- no gift/tuck shop to get anything on site.

The hotel shuttle is extremely convenient and the shuttle drivers/bellmen were excellent. Great attitudes and really forthcoming with advice.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Canada101
Just stayed at the Westin Bristol Place (Oct 20) and had a rotten experience.

The associate at check-in was a complete idiot and was lecturing me on the modalities and conditions of early check-in (I wanted to check-in at noon which is hardly unreasonable especially at an airport hotel when a huge number of check-outs occur early morning). He was rude and basically was trying to lecture me that check-ins before 3PM were "requests". I told him that I had actually specified a check-in time on my reservation and spoke to the Ambassador desk to ensure it was noted. I am perfectly aware that a 12PM check-in wasn't guaranteed but didn't need the attitude or the condescension in the associate's tone (I'm not going to name the associate on a public board but made sure I it was noted on my comments to the property).

The room was tired but the hotel is undergoing renovations so that may explain things.

The lobby is basically a construction zone right now -- no gift/tuck shop to get anything on site.

The hotel shuttle is extremely convenient and the shuttle drivers/bellmen were excellent. Great attitudes and really forthcoming with advice.
Had a similar experience last year. In my case, I even had a confirmed Your24 early check-in. After getting the 'lecture' by front desk, I threatened to move my stay to one of the dozens of other properties on a Airport Road, and whined so much they magically found a room. A manager later called to apologize, sent up a nice food platter and comped my room, which pretty well shut me up. ^

Cheers,
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Flews
A manager later called to apologize, sent up a nice food platter and comped my room, which pretty well shut me up. ^

Cheers,
I have a feeling that the associate lecturing me was, in fact, a manager. Complete idiot and I am, I would say, generally pretty low maintenance.

The snide attitude from this associate started as soon as I gave him my name, ID and credit card. No "good morning". No "Welcome to the Westin Bristol Place". No "how was your flight?". Just "you know you're far too early for check-in". When I replied that I actually noted my check-in time on my reservation, I got "those are just requests". I kept my mouth shut as I was tired from my flight and wanted to change before a meeting but I couldn't help myself when he got me a room (there were plenty as the night before was hardly full based on the availability I checked) and in a very snide tone said "enjoy your early check-in". Anyway, I've made note of the entire experience with my comments to the hotel. At the end of the day, I'm not going to dwell on it. As I said, the shuttle drivers were amazing. All three I met were exceedingly kind and helpful and I tipped them for their kindness.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC - SE, SPG - Platinum, HGP - Diamond
I don't know why people insist on staying here. The property is a dump, renos were done on the cheap and management doesn't care about guest experience.

I would equate this place to a low end four points...the Philadelphia airport property comes to mind

Originally Posted by Canada101
I have a feeling that the associate lecturing me was, in fact, a manager. Complete idiot and I am, I would say, generally pretty low maintenance.

The snide attitude from this associate started as soon as I gave him my name, ID and credit card. No "good morning". No "Welcome to the Westin Bristol Place". No "how was your flight?". Just "you know you're far too early for check-in". When I replied that I actually noted my check-in time on my reservation, I got "those are just requests". I kept my mouth shut as I was tired from my flight and wanted to change before a meeting but I couldn't help myself when he got me a room (there were plenty as the night before was hardly full based on the availability I checked) and in a very snide tone said "enjoy your early check-in". Anyway, I've made note of the entire experience with my comments to the hotel. At the end of the day, I'm not going to dwell on it. As I said, the shuttle drivers were amazing. All three I met were exceedingly kind and helpful and I tipped them for their kindness.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by wolvie007
I don't know why people insist on staying here. The property is a dump, renos were done on the cheap and management doesn't care about guest experience.

I would equate this place to a low end four points...the Philadelphia airport property comes to mind
I totally agree and have learned my lesson. I will never stay at the Westin Bristol Place again. I usually stay at the Sheraton Gateway if I have to overnight near the airport in Toronto but it was full when I booked (last minute) and I really didn't want to stay downtown due to commitments closer to Hamilton. Anyway, lesson learned.

Westin Bristol Place is a dump.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz President's Club, VIA Premier
Very Good Experience

I have to differ...I've stayed here many times both before and during the renovations. For the most part, their staff have been excellent, from the shuttle drivers to the wait staff to the FDAs. Having said that, I've run into the occasional FDA who wasn't friendly like the others. The property is excellent with Plat recognition, as I've gotten suite upgrades several times or as a minimum an upgrade to their deluxe rooms when I needed two beds (and they are probably the largest two-bed rooms you'll get at any SPG property in the GTA). I don't feel that the renovations have been done on the cheap at all, except for the fact that the bathrooms have not been fully redone like the rooms and corridors. That's probably because they aren't in terrible shape the way the rooms and common areas were before the renovation.

Try it out as a category 2 while you can. It won't remain a category 2 next year, as they have set their room rates higher consistently since the renovation started (let alone finished). I used to get weekend rates as low as $68 CDN and haven't seen them south of $100 CDN since the renovation started). To be expected, as they re-position themselves as a Westin property more reflective of the brand's tradition image. (for those that don't know, the property was sold recently)

My biggest complain is the parking fee which has increased to $22 nightly. Having said that, my stay there last weekend got me a Deluxe room upgrade, when I asked for the breakfast amenity (continental with the opportunity to upgrade to the full hot buffet for $5 pp) was given vouchers for the full-hot breakfast anyways, and she gave me the 500 point welcome amenity on top. No idea why, but it happens occasionally. Oh, and she charged only half-price for the parking, which was a surprise and treat.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:56 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Bump ..... guess this hotel has dropped the Bristol Place from its name .... and doubled in Category 2 to 4
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
that explains that

This explains why points stays are now 7k, used to be 3-4k.

I am still seeing decent rates on spghotescapes (this week, for example, beginning @ $107). Also, good buffet breakfast for Plats!

Value wise, SPG members have many other options near the airport/on Dixie Road.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:29 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Westin YYZ Airport = Adequate Hotel but Unlikely to Return Soon

The Westin Bristol Place Toronto Airport

950 Dixon Rd Toronto, ON CA M9W5N4

Westin YYZ Airport = Adequate Hotel but Unlikely to Return Soon (6 Photos)

The Westin Bristol Place Toronto Airport

I have stayed at various Hilton-family hotels around Toronto Pearson airport in the past (Hilton, Double Tree YYZ West, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn) and also some within Starwood (Sheraton Gateway, Sheraton Toronto Airport), but never at Westin because I generally found the rates to be quite high and if I just need to stay overnight I am not sure it’s worth paying a premium especially for a hotel without a lounge, like some alternatives such as the Hilton.  This time I tried Westin YYZ for the first time because I found an unusually low rate of 120 CAD and because I was going to arrive in YYZ quite late so having a lounge or not was not going to matter much.  Based on my stay I can confirm what I suspected previously: this hotel is generally not good value for the money, unfortunately.  

Room

There were suites available online at time of check-in but I only received an upgrade to a larger room with view of the airport (deluxe), not a suite.  For just an overnight I did not mind and I did not ask for a suite, but I note nonetheless than they are not proactive with suite upgrades for Platinum-Ambassador guests.  Anyway, the room looks quite good especially with hardwood floors and the view of the airport is nice.  There were convenient power plugs on both sides of the bed.  However the bed was not as comfortable as usual for a Westin hotel, mostly because bed sheets were a bit rough.  Also soundproofing is not the best and we could hear guests talking in the hallway; being assigned a room near the elevators did not help.  While the bedroom area is pleasant, the bathroom is definitely subpar.  The shower is in the bathtub which I do not like, in addition the bathroom is quite small and has low ceilings.  The deluxe room is indeed larger overall than the entry level room, but only marginally so (34 sq m vs 28 sq m).

IMG_1371.jpegIMG_1372.jpegIMG_1373.jpegIMG_1374.jpeg

Dining

Even though I was staying just one night, I choose the breakfast instead of 1k points as my Platinum benefit.  The restaurant is an inviting place for breakfast and looks very nice.  In addition, hours are convenient because you can have your breakfast until 11am.  At the tail end of breakfast time, the restaurant was quiet which I enjoyed.  Food offerings are a bit better than normal for a North American breakfast, for example there was smoked mackerel and Mexican scrambled eggs which made the buffet stand out positively.  The Platinum breakfast is not limited to cold options so it’s better than some other Westins in North America, but you cannot get cappuccino for free which I think is somewhat stingy.  

IMG_1375.jpegIMG_1376.jpeg

Wifi

I rarely comment on wifi, but it was noticeably clunky during my stay. 

Overall

Overall my stay was mixed and I am not sure I would return unless the price was quite low.  I have not really changed my mind about how price competitive this hotel is relative to nearby properties given the lack of lounge, the room which has some drawbacks given the bathroom, and the lack of suite upgrade even when available. Several other hotels around YYZ with a similar or even lower price tag remain ahead of this hotel in my opinion so the incentive to stay at Westin again is muted.

Westin YYZ Airport = Adequate Hotel but Unlikely to Return Soon

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Bristol Place Toronto Airport?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 13, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Just checked this thread and decided to book at the Marriott instead. Would have preferred to book the Sheraton at the airport but had a 25K cert to burn that is expiring shortly. Considering that the Marriott would provide breakfast as well as the 1000 arrival bonus points, it seemed like the more logical alternative. FWIW, the cash rate was CAD 324 for the Westin and CAD 211 for the Marriott.

Any opinions to the contrary?
Old May 15, 2019, 5:18 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Just checked this thread and decided to book at the Marriott instead. Would have preferred to book the Sheraton at the airport but had a 25K cert to burn that is expiring shortly. Considering that the Marriott would provide breakfast as well as the 1000 arrival bonus points, it seemed like the more logical alternative. FWIW, the cash rate was CAD 324 for the Westin and CAD 211 for the Marriott.

Any opinions to the contrary?
Unfortunately I have not stayed at Marriott before so I cannot compare. However given my previous review as you can imagine if it was me I would try Marriott rather than return to Westin. A cash rate of 324 CAD for Westin is madness. At least you are using a free night cert so cash differences between the two properties do not really matter for your stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.