Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Frankfurt: Which Starwood? [Master Thread]

Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by karenkay
we have 24 hours in FRA on layover as part of a longer trip...i'm considering the sheraton at the airport, or the congress (cheap points rate). is there anything near the airport hotel other than the airport itself, like small shops or restaurants?

we have no interest in hotel restaurants, but also don't want to spend a great deal of time on transit, since our time in FRA is so limited.

nm--having just read the rest of the thread, i'm thinking the airport sheraton--with early check in--and i'll take the train to the city for the day. make sense?
You're contradicting yourself. You want to stay near the airport so you don't waste time on transit, yet you'll take the train into the city for the day?

Personally I would consider going into the city and stay at the Westin. You'll spend the same amount of time on the train and get away from the airport. The Westin also has a nice Lounge since you'll have access as SPG Plat. It's more convenient and leisurely to base out of the Westin as you walk around the city.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
The Sheraton at FRA is very very close to:

http://www.thesquaire.com/

The Congress is right in the middle of a major office building suburb of FRA, actually more or less directly opposite of Nestle HQ Germany. 2 stops with a regional train and 800 m by foot or two stops with the tram.

The Westin is 50 metres or a closed back entrance away from the high street in Frankfurt, the Zeil. Most of the stores there are the highest grossing ones of their brand in Germany, so you are in the middle of a shopping heaven.

The LM is 200 metres away from a side entrance of the railway station...and two-three tram or trains stops away from the shopping mile mentioned above

If you do not have status with SPG, I do not recommend the LM, their smallest rooms are ~ 10 sqm.

Westin is the best SPG property in town, no doubt about that, Sheraton at FRA is a good second choice, the other three properties are nothing to write home about and have quite some potential for a mediocre stay.

Even on a good day with a suite upgrade, you will not tell your grand kids about a stay at the Congress, Sheraton Offenbach or LM Parkhotel
Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by CIT85
You're contradicting yourself. You want to stay near the airport so you don't waste time on transit, yet you'll take the train into the city for the day?
yeah, that's what happens when you post at 3am instead of sleeping...

Thanks to you and FD1971 for the assist. I guess I'm trying to figure out how much hassle it will be to make the trip with the luggage instead of without it...(no, you can't answer that, and I'm posting at 4am today instead of sleeping...)
Old Oct 13, 2013, 2:23 pm

I gather there is a tram (S-bahn?) stop near the Sheraton Congress. Not knowing the area, how easy/difficult is it to take public transport to/from airport? Is a taxi a better option?

Last edited by honu; Oct 13, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Nearest S-Bahn is "Niederrad", which is two stops from the local train station at Frankfurt Airport (the one inside the terminal on the lower level). From there take the light rail to "Brostadt Niederrad" (one stop) - the hotel is right across the stop. You can also walk from the S-Bahn station, it will be approximately 10 minutes from there.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 14, 2013, 2:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by honu
I gather there is a tram (S-bahn?) stop near the Sheraton Congress. Not knowing the area, how easy/difficult is it to take public transport to/from airport? Is a taxi a better option?
Originally Posted by djohannw
Nearest S-Bahn is "Niederrad", which is two stops from the local train station at Frankfurt Airport (the one inside the terminal on the lower level). From there take the light rail to "Brostadt Niederrad" (one stop) - the hotel is right across the stop. You can also walk from the S-Bahn station, it will be approximately 10 minutes from there.

Greetings - Dirk
Aside from taking the tram S12, you can also take the Bus No.78 (both heading towards Schwanheim Rheinlandstr.) after leaving the train at Niederrad. It is fairly convenient , roughly 15-20 total travel time incl. transfers.

Cost for a taxi should be roughly 5-10 Euro more, travel time is 10 minutes max.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 6:36 am

Thanks to djohannw and FD1971 for the detailed info. Too bad there's not much detail on the hotel web site, though...
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FD1971
The Sheraton at FRA is very very close to:

http://www.thesquaire.com/

The Congress is right in the middle of a major office building suburb of FRA, actually more or less directly opposite of Nestle HQ Germany. 2 stops with a regional train and 800 m by foot or two stops with the tram.

The Westin is 50 metres or a closed back entrance away from the high street in Frankfurt, the Zeil. Most of the stores there are the highest grossing ones of their brand in Germany, so you are in the middle of a shopping heaven.

The LM is 200 metres away from a side entrance of the railway station...and two-three tram or trains stops away from the shopping mile mentioned above

If you do not have status with SPG, I do not recommend the LM, their smallest rooms are ~ 10 sqm.

Westin is the best SPG property in town, no doubt about that, Sheraton at FRA is a good second choice, the other three properties are nothing to write home about and have quite some potential for a mediocre stay.

Even on a good day with a suite upgrade, you will not tell your grand kids about a stay at the Congress, Sheraton Offenbach or LM Parkhotel
I actually found the Westin very mediocre. For the price they charged, Congress is a better option especially if you have a car.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
12 hour layover...

...get a room at the Sheraton FRA and possibly train to Mainz for the afternoon, or train into the city, use the Westin as a base, and explore a bit? Know this is more of a "what to do" question than a pure hotel one.

I know Frankfurt doesn't have the reputation of other more interesting Germany cities, but I am curious if it's worth ~6 hours of walking around (accounting for a nap at the start and transit back to FRA at the end).

Thanks much.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
...get a room at the Sheraton FRA and possibly train to Mainz for the afternoon, or train into the city, use the Westin as a base, and explore a bit? Know this is more of a "what to do" question than a pure hotel one.

I know Frankfurt doesn't have the reputation of other more interesting Germany cities, but I am curious if it's worth ~6 hours of walking around (accounting for a nap at the start and transit back to FRA at the end).

Thanks much.
Personally I would go into the city and stay at the Westin and walk around. This way you can always go back to the hotel for drinks and snacks. You can also walk around in the evening if you're not tired.

FRA Sheraton is nice, but once you go back to the hotel you're back for good. You have more flexibility at the Westin. If it's a weekend, rates at the Westin can be lower than FRA Sheraton.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CIT85
Personally I would go into the city and stay at the Westin and walk around. This way you can always go back to the hotel for drinks and snacks. You can also walk around in the evening if you're not tired.

FRA Sheraton is nice, but once you go back to the hotel you're back for good. You have more flexibility at the Westin. If it's a weekend, rates at the Westin can be lower than FRA Sheraton.
Thanks much - that's what I'm leaning towards doing, we'll see what the +1 wants

It's a Friday night I'm booking (even though I won't arrive til Sat AM), and even with a corp. code it's still 179 EUR so not a great deal. C&P available though so might do that.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Been two years since I've been at the Congress.

Platinum was upgraded to pre-upgraded to Junior Suite but then I opted for early check-in at 9AM and just took first available room.

In addition to the 500 points, an additional amenity was provided (similar to Sheraton DUS); beer, fruit salad, chips etc. None of the options appealed to me but front desk asked if I sure I didn't want anything. I asked for a bottle of water instead. Also given a drink coupon and a 30% restaurant/bar discount car. Mini bar also included as Platinum amenity (2 bottles of water - total of 4 bottle in room; 2 bottles of coke; 2 Heineken). Overall pretty good Platinum recognition.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
FRA is one the airports I've flown the most into/out of so I've spent a lot of time around there. I agree the Westin is the best SPG property in the area but for one night I agree with UA-NYC to stay near the airport so you can get to both Mainz (1st choice) and downtown Frankfurt (if you're done with Mainz).

I prefer the Sheraton Congress because it has a nice pool; a vigorous swim helps with jet lag. (The Westin is the only other SPG FRA property with a pool.) It usually has the best rates of any FRA-area SPG hotel but offers great Plat recognition, as seawolf mentioned. It doesn't have a lounge but I use the LH lounges at the airport instead.

I like the Sheraton FRA for the true airport (and its train station) convenience. It has one of the nicer Sheraton lounges I've seen. I've never gotten an upgrade beyond a Club/Tower room, not that I care for a 1-nighter. Both are really good about early check-in/late check out, but sometimes the Sheraton FRA check-in lines are so long a taxi to the Congress would've been faster.

I haven't seen any reason to try the Element at FRA. If I need to take a bus or taxi I might as well as go to the Congress, which seems to usually have similar rates. The Congress has a tram stop in front and S-Bahn station nearby so it's almost as good as FRA for transit access to the area; no such access from the Element. If I need to be at the airport, might as well stay at the hotel where I can walk to/from the airport.

Thus its Congress for value, Sheraton FRA for convenience, and Westin for upscale experience.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

As someone that has spent way too much time in the area, I've tried all the options but based on location and price I've tended to go with the LeMeridien the most if I want to be in the city. Some people are turned off by the locations proximity to the train station but as someone that lived in Europe the area doesn't bother me like it does other US travelers. During the summer their outside beer garden is a nice place to grab a beer and some food and relax outside. My stays at the Westin have been marginal at best and without any real upgrades. Sheraton FRA is a nice airport hotel and as mentioned offers a good train alternative into the city. Congress has improved drastically since they renovated the rooms. IMHO location is only acceptable if you have a car. Element...nice hotel with a nice upgrade but with no shuttle to FRA it makes it unacceptable for most wanting to stay near the airport.

Last edited by christianj; Nov 21, 2015 at 7:15 am
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hooterbif
I stayed at the Sheraton Frankfurt Airport last month. It was just fine and it is literally connected to the airport. The food in the restaurant was ok, but not great. It was funny to be surrounded by americans.
How much time do you need to get from the Sheraton Frankfurt Airport to an A or Z gate? Asking so that I know when to leave the hotel to make my flights at the end of my layover (Lufthansa outbound - A, United return - Z).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.