Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Grosvenor House, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Dubai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2023, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Grosvenor House, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Dubai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 6:18 pm

It's tough to peg this property. It doesn't ooze luxury the way some of its more recently built competitors do. I liken it more to an upscale residential condominium complex. That being said, Elson and his team in the EL are outstanding. Although I didn't have breakfast in the EL, I did enjoy their evening service. I didn't experience the loud guests during my visit in mid February, although I'm certain it occurs, given how busy it can get. During my stay, the EL would serve upwards of 250 breakfast meals per service.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I don't understand your complaints.
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I booked a one bedroom apartment. The room was nicer than the one on my last stay (that one seemed shabby). This one was nice but not luxurious- towels seemed old and hard for example and the toitetries sparse and so so. I'd liken it to a Sheraton Grand rather than a LC.
The room wasn't luxurious because of towels? Toiletries? They aren't unique to any particular room or room type.

2) Lounge is great with huge spread during tea and dinner. However, during the free 6-8 hour it is crazy noisy by guests drinking and seemingly yelling. Like yelling. And some clubs ban kids for being loud. Great if you want to party but annoying if you want a quiet area for a business meeting.
I was there for a week last June. I [apparently was fortunate in that I] experienced nothing like this the entire week. I'm not sure that an executive lounge is the best place for a business meeting, anyway, -- confidentiality and all that.

4) Only thing I didn't like about gym was that it had the spa design on the walls. Beautiful but left me wanting to sleep
The gym obviously wasn't designed for someone with your sensitivities. I'm well into my seventh decade, and I have yet to see a wall design/color that, by itself, has a soporific effect on me.

5) had IT issues booking because of Marriott app. I had to call property 4 times to book. They nicely comped me round trip airport taxi in a Lexus
So there was a problem, apparently recognized by the hotel, which provided a nice service recovery gesture.

6) don't tKe the shuttle to LRM if trying to get to BRB. I waited 20 mins for shuttle, then another 5 after it arrived, drove another 20 to LRM and then walked another 15 to JRB. I am not sure why. Multiple people at guest services told me this was best way to get to JRB.
I don't know what JRB is, but I, too, took the Méridien shuttle, both there and back to GH. The ride was no more than 10 minutes each way.

7) overall service was great.
That was my experience, too.

I would stay here again if on business. I would probably try elsewhere if on vacation. Just not enough stuff within easy walking distance.
I agree, there's basically nothing within walking distance.

And I find it annoying to get from tower 1 to tower 2 to go to the club lounge and better gym. I spent way too much time going in differebt elevators to go anywhere. Wouldn't be convenient with family.
I stayed in the tower with the lounge. I can see that it would be be annoying to have to cross the street for the lounge every time you wanted to go. I feel the same way about WGS in Bangkok, where you need to take two different elevators to get from the street to your room.

Originally Posted by flyme2
It's tough to peg this property. It doesn't ooze luxury the way some of its more recently built competitors do. I liken it more to an upscale residential condominium complex. That being said, Elson and his team in the EL are outstanding.
Agree 100%. This is one of the best executive lounges I've been in. And I like the luxury residential condominium feel. Much less bustle than a hotel lobby.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't understand your complaints.The room wasn't luxurious because of towels? Toiletries? They aren't unique to any particular room or room type.

I was there for a week last June. I [apparently was fortunate in that I] experienced nothing like this the entire week. I'm not sure that an executive lounge is the best place for a business meeting, anyway, -- confidentiality and all that.

The gym obviously wasn't designed for someone with your sensitivities. I'm well into my seventh decade, and I have yet to see a wall design/color that, by itself, has a soporific effect on me.

So there was a problem, apparently recognized by the hotel, which provided a nice service recovery gesture.

I don't know what JRB is, but I, too, took the Méridien shuttle, both there and back to GH. The ride was no more than 10 minutes each way.

That was my experience, too.

I agree, there's basically nothing within walking distance.

I stayed in the tower with the lounge. I can see that it would be be annoying to have to cross the street for the lounge every time you wanted to go. I feel the same way about WGS in Bangkok, where you need to take two different elevators to get from the street to your room.

Agree 100%. This is one of the best executive lounges I've been in. And I like the luxury residential condominium feel. Much less bustle than a hotel lobby.
yes, thread count of sheets, quality of towels are all part of what makes a luxurious experience. Why else is Frette so expensive? Overall, the room's furnishings (say coach fabric) were nothing special.

Have you been to the gym that is attached to spa? A spa is meant to relax and make people sleep. I'm not in my 7th decade yet, but when there is Balinese style woodwork on the gym's windows that blocks light as if you are in a spa well that calms rather than energizes people. Same with coloring of walls.

Luxury is decided in large part by ambiance, trimmings, and quality of hardware. I consider GH to have a sheraton grand hardware level but luxury level of service. Same with SGS. I prefer more luxury of hardware than SGS and GH deliver.

Although I like both, they are the two weakest LCs I've been to aside from the Hongta which should be deflagged.

I brought my extended family here a couple years ago thinking this would be luxury. Family didn't like and wish we had stayed at Atlantis where we webt later and found far more luxurious hardware wise.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I prefer more luxury of hardware than SGS and GH deliver. ... I brought my extended family here a couple years ago thinking this would be luxury. Family didn't like and wish we had stayed at Atlantis where we webt later and found far more luxurious hardware wise.
And that's why they have different hotels! Sounds as though your preference is for more bling, while mine is for more understated. Doesn't matter, we each like what we like and there are plenty of choices for each of us!!
Old May 8, 2019, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
And that's why they have different hotels! Sounds as though your preference is for more bling, while mine is for more understated. Doesn't matter, we each like what we like and there are plenty of choices for each of us!!
I concur. I find it easier to forgive defects in the hard product if the soft product is exemplary. Unfortunately, the reverse is not true. If someone prefers ostentation, that is perfectly acceptable, just not my cup of tea. I've reached my 6th decade, and Zen is more aspirational than impressing anyone, myself included.

Last edited by flyme2; May 8, 2019 at 4:41 am
Old May 8, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I concur. I find it easier to forgive defects in the hard product if the soft product is exemplary. Unfortunately, the reverse is not true.
An important distinction.

If someone prefers ostentation, that is perfectly acceptable, just not my cup of tea.
Same here.

I've reached my 6th decade, and Zen is more aspirational than impressing anyone, myself included.
Same here. If people aren't impressed by the aura of my very presence, screw 'em.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; May 8, 2019 at 10:16 pm
Old May 12, 2019, 2:13 pm

How is the lounge access situation for plats since the Bonvoy merger?
Are plats still given full access to the lounge plus the amenity points? Or do we now need to ask for lounge access in lieu of the points?

I ask because I've heard of reports from other luxury collection properties with lounges - that these are no longer offered for free to plats (if at all).
Old May 12, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue Platinum For Life
Plats still get access to the lounge. Stayed at the GH for a week early May with the family. Was upgraded a few days in advance to a exec. Suite. Asked for the 3 bedroom app. And received it for 100 aed extra per night.

Lounge is very good. Basically full board, with some nice cocktails in the evening.

Only downside are for me the pools. Especially in the afternoon when the sun is gone. But hey no hotel is perfect.
jaejaez likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by EHAM1
Plats still get access to the lounge. Stayed at the GH for a week early May with the family. Was upgraded a few days in advance to a exec. Suite. Asked for the 3 bedroom app. And received it for 100 aed extra per night.

Lounge is very good. Basically full board, with some nice cocktails in the evening.

Only downside are for me the pools. Especially in the afternoon when the sun is gone. But hey no hotel is perfect.
I normally shuttle out to the Le Royal Meridien and use the facilities there - much nicer.. though the shuttle back and forth can get a bit annoying at times.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:18 am

Chase card doesn’t code this hotel as a Marriott

Had a fantastic stay here, love this hotel. I paid using a Chase Marriott Visa. However, I noticed on my statement that Chase didn’t consider the hotel to be a Marriott - strange! I called Chase and they’re supposedly looking into it.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:25 am

The shuttle bus is hugely annoying. I took last time... And taxi back. Not worth the wait
Never had a problem with the shuttle here myself going to the beach or back, if I’ve ever waited more than a couple of minutes the doorman have always got one of the hotel 7 series which are always on hand.

It’s probably quicker to walk if you don’t mind the busy road crossing between, this l due to the one way highway system the shuttle and cars have to take.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:27 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
I have stayed recently at this property again for two weeks. And after staying at the GH for almost 300 nights total in the last 9 years, that would be my last stay.

It seems like the service is not the same to what it used to be in the past. I have noticed this recently but I said it could be just a hiccup, but after several times, I decided that this would be my last stay.

My issues were related to the check-in check-out process. It's a pain that it happened several times where everything should be set and in place.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 10:01 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I'm planning a trip to Dubai this month, and having stayed at this hotel before and being a fan of their club lounge, checked out the What To Expect site to see if the lounge would be open. The site says "Restaurant & Lounges: Open, masks required for entry. Social distancing regulations to be followed at all times."

I just called the hotel to see if this was the case, and if Plats and above are still offered complimentary access. Turns out the club lounge is not only closed for the foreseeable future, but there are no alternatives offered to guests whatsoever - no drinks/happy hour at the bar, zilch.

Note to self: don't trust Marriott's stupid What to Expect site - just call the hotel and get your info from the horse's mouth. Going to be giving this one a pass. Wanted to share with whoever was considering a stay here.

khabah
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Any recent stays?
Old Dec 15, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA
Grosvenor House Dubai

I’m looking to stay in Grosvenor House and considering the Premier room, is the lounge as good as reviews suggest? How does the wine selection and cocktails stand up against a decent bar?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.