Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Grosvenor House, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Dubai [Master Thread]

Grosvenor House, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Dubai [Master Thread]

Old Dec 9, 18, 11:53 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP SPG PLAT
Recently had two nights here (well technically one) and found it to be good to very good with a slant towards very good.

Rocky start with a truly annoying checkin which is not something one is really after after 17 hours flying and arriving at 6 am in the morning. Had a discussion with the night manager and a subsequent follow up from the duty manager later in the day. No compensation was asked for or given (or in anyway necessary) just a genuine conversation with two very consumer orientated Gentleman which was much appreciated.

Originally in a deluxe suite which was almost perfect, well furnished, comfortable, good size and a practical layout. Have stayed at around 6 LCs this year and this was one of the nicer suites. However my stay is this room was very brief. During my chat with the Night Manager he mentioned that there would be the potential for quite a bit of noise as it was Friday night and the nightclubs were directly below the room (I was on the 7th floor).

So I was moved to a 2 bedroom apartment. This was a step down in terms of furnishings, showed a lot of wear and tear and has a fairly average main bathroom. If you were upgraded to this room you'd be very happy and if you needed a lot of extra space and a kitchen you'd also be very happy. Despite viewing it a step down from the deluxe suite I was very happy due to the massive balcony. Sitting on the balconies with a great direct view towards the palm and side views to the marina was extremely pleasant and outweighed any of the soft differences between this and the deluxe suite.

The various types of platinum members still get lounge access. Fairly typical lounge however great staff and lots of seating. Nothing was ever explained to me at checkin but I noticed I never received my platinum amenity points for this stay so assume lounge access is in lieu of this.

Outside of the lounge the sheer size of the hotel mean't service wasn't up to the standard I'd expect for a LC.

Checkout was ok. Because I had booked the night before for early arrival I mentioned my night credits as I know some hotels have issues with this. Despite two staff members confirming they would manually process it and I would get two nights stay credit it has posted as one.

The hotel car used back to the airport was the 7 series as mentioned above. Long time since I've been in a BMW that has had the smokers package ticked as an option! Despite the numerous ashtrays the car was totally smoke free.

It may be a change of policy or uncertainty from staff but when I enquired the hotel transfers are only complementary for those on paid suites, not when using SNAs. This is contrary to experiences of some in this thread so worth checking/being aware of.

Being the weekend and basically paying for two nights for a one night stay I didn't find the price of the hotel to be particularly competitive for its class in the local market.

All up a nice stay.

Last edited by chad75; Dec 10, 18 at 6:36 am
Old Dec 10, 18, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by chad75 View Post
Recently had two nights here (well technically one) and found it to be good to very good with a slant towards very good.

Rocky start with a truly annoying checkin which is not something one is really after after 17 hours flying and arriving at 6 am in the morning. Had a discussion with the night manager and a subsequent follow up from the duty manager later in the day. No compensation was asked for or given (or in anyway necessary) just a genuine conversation with two very consumer orientated Gentleman which was much appreciated.
What was the issue?

Originally Posted by chad75 View Post
The various types of platinum members still get lounge access. Fairly typical lounge however great staff and lots of seating. Nothing was ever explained to me at checkin but I noticed I never received my platinum amenity points for this stay so assume lounge access is in lieu of this.
What was served in the lounge? You should call Marriott. I've found both the platinum premier and ambassador desks very good about missing points or stays. They normally ask you to email them the folio and they manually post it, often while you're talking to them. I had six straight stays where the arrival points weren't posted. The agent manually did it and then added some points as a goodwill gesture.

Marriott and its properties often suck at actually fixing issues so they don't happen again, but both properties and corporate are pretty good about giving you points for issues; sometimes a ton of points.
Old Dec 10, 18, 6:52 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
What was the issue?

What was served in the lounge? You should call Marriott. I've found both the platinum premier and ambassador desks very good about missing points or stays. They normally ask you to email them the folio and they manually post it, often while you're talking to them. I had six straight stays where the arrival points weren't posted. The agent manually did it and then added some points as a goodwill gesture.

Marriott and its properties often suck at actually fixing issues so they don't happen again, but both properties and corporate are pretty good about giving you points for issues; sometimes a ton of points.
At check in issues included the extreme length of time to process, inability to understand my booking, lack of explanation of anything about the hotel and ended up with me given a key and simply told "You're in the other building".

Lounge was standard higher end hotel fare. Breakfast had made to order eggs, waffles etc. Good selection of cold cuts, salmon, pastries etc as well as a couple of other hot dishes. Also a seperate area of pork products for us infidels. Nice green tea as well.

Afternoon tea and cocktail hour was basically the same salads/coldcuts/pastries, soup and four or five hot dishes - basically the normal high carb type of things - spring rolls, lamb shawarma ,quiche etc.

Also two hours of free alcohol (not self serve) - I didn't partake so didn't pay any attention to what was on offer but the drinks trolley looked quite extensive and quite a lot of different cocktails were being delivered.
Old Dec 10, 18, 8:46 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
You should definitely follow up about your 1000-point platinum amenity; you do not need to give up the points in order to get lounge access. Only if you are getting offered a different breakfast option like in the hotel restaurant do you lose the points.
Old Dec 10, 18, 12:26 pm

Am wondering if anyone here has been to the Buddha Bar housed within this hotel?
Is it any good? Am trying to decide between this one and Nobu at the Atlantis - I know Nobu is a notch more upscale than the Buddha Bar but am willing to settle for the in house venue if it is decent.

TIA!
Old Jan 10, 19, 7:09 pm

Programs: Marriott
I have reserved a "deluxe king room" for April 2019. For not too much more money, I can get a 1 BR apartment or a 1 BR residence. From reading old posts on this forum, it looked like the hotel rooms were in a better tower and the apartments had older furnishings. Is this still the case?

As a Marriott Platinum member, will I have lounge access without booking a lounge room?
Old Jan 11, 19, 9:09 am

Programs: IHG - spire amb, Marriot - tit, Radisson - plat, Hilton - gold, Accor -gold
Originally Posted by surgie View Post
I have reserved a "deluxe king room" for April 2019. For not too much more money, I can get a 1 BR apartment or a 1 BR residence. From reading old posts on this forum, it looked like the hotel rooms were in a better tower and the apartments had older furnishings. Is this still the case?

As a Marriott Platinum member, will I have lounge access without booking a lounge room?
You should. Only Ritz is excluded.
Old Jan 11, 19, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
I booked a two bedroom apartment (in the "older" building across the driveway from the main building), and was upgraded to a three bedroom on arrival. It was great; I really liked this hotel. I found nothing older or sub-standard about my room or the building, itself. Everything clean and modern. Lounge (for breakfast, cocktails, etc.) was beautifully designed/decorated in a high-end art deco style, with tables and chairs both inside and outside on a balcony.
Old Jan 14, 19, 5:41 am

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by dimon84 View Post
You should. Only Ritz is excluded.
If by some chance I am not able to use the lounge (I have now booked a regular hotel room on points rather than the apartment)...is it possible to pay for the lounge offerings?

My son and family have booked a premier room with lounge access. We would like to be able to join them but I hate to give up my "free" room - would rather pay for lounge as we go since it will likely be breakfast and evening apps only.
Old Mar 8, 19, 7:00 am

Has any Plat or Titanium recently stayed at the hotel?

Any information about the complimentary airport transfer if pre-upgraded to an eligible room type? At least for the return to the airport at the end of the stay?
Old Mar 8, 19, 7:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/LTG, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by Hristo11 View Post
Has any Plat or Titanium recently stayed at the hotel?

Any information about the complimentary airport transfer if pre-upgraded to an eligible room type? At least for the return to the airport at the end of the stay?
Havenít stayed recently, but last I was told: if youíre pre-upgraded, you donít get any of the perks like airport transfer because upgrades are only confirmed at check-in, and only then do you get your guest-facing benefits as a result of said upgrade. Iíve always been pre-upgraded to a room category including an airport transfer, but have only been able to take advantage of the return transfer [also usually after a bit of wrangling since the staff are pretty tight-fisted about giving those away to upgraded guests].

khabah
Old Mar 8, 19, 7:44 am

With the latest "enhancement" to the bonvoy plat benefits, lounge access at luxury collections appear to have been eliminated.
It seems that going forward, only exec lounges at westin, (JW) marriotts, sheratons, le meridien, will be included as part of plat benefits. Luxury Collection lounges, like those at the Ritz Carltons, will need to be paid for, as reported by those who recently stayed at the Prince Tokyo or the Keraton Jakarta (both LCs).

am wondering whether the same will apply to the Grosvenors House? The last time i was there was in Jan and there were no problems using the lounge.
Old Mar 8, 19, 3:42 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
I have a stay coming up here in May. Will report back. But I actually called the hotel 3 weeks ago to ask if they gave lounge access to plats. The duty manager told me yes they do. But this is the problem with Marriott... I have had to call LCs before booking via an app/ website/ whichever one that works to see what benefits are.
Old Mar 8, 19, 5:51 pm

I stayed at the GH a few weeks ago. As a Titanium. I was upgraded to a deluxe suite in tower one, with full lounge access on the fifth in tower two. Benefits that one would receive when paying for said suite were not accorded to guests staying via an upgrade. That would include butler service and airport transfers.
Old May 7, 19, 10:57 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
I booked a one bedroom apartment. The room was nicer than the one on my last stay (that one seemed shabby). This one was nice but not luxurious- towels seemed old and hard for example and the toitetries sparse and so so. I'd liken it to a Sheraton Grand rather than a LC.

1) lounge access, full breakfast and points still all given Titaniums. Same with PA LC in BKK so they not removing benefits like the stingy LC Prince Gallery Tokyo.

2) Lounge is great with huge spread during tea and dinner. However, during the free 6-8 hour it is crazy noisy by guests drinking and seemingly yelling. Like yelling. And some clubs ban kids for being loud. Great if you want to party but annoying if you want a quiet area for a business meeting.

3) this was first property since merger where staff that didn't know me welcomed me back. They adhering to old SPG days of recognition

4) gym was well stocked with dumbbells up to 40 KGS. Only thing I didn't like about gym was that it had the spa design on the walls. Beautiful but left me wanting to sleep

5) had IT issues booking because of Marriott app. I had to call property 4 times to book. They nicely comped me round trip airport taxi in a Lexus

6) don't tKe the shuttle to LRM if trying to get to BRB. I waited 20 mins for shuttle, then another 5 after it arrived, drove another 20 to LRM and then walked another 15 to JRB. I am not sure why. Multiple people at guest services told me this was best way to get to JRB.

I took a $3 taxi back to hotel after eating. Total time maybe 5 mins vs hour long trek to get there.

7) overall service was great.

I would stay here again if on business. I would probably try elsewhere if on vacation. Just not enough stuff within easy walking distance.

And I find it annoying to get from tower 1 to tower 2 to go to the club lounge and better gym. I spent way too much time going in differebt elevators to go anywhere. Wouldn't be convenient with family.

All in all good to very good stay. Solid. But not luxurious hardware - luxurious software

​​

Search this Thread